• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Syder

To be fair away goals on a head to head basis taking precedence over goal difference is a bit of a crap rule.
In some cases I agree but for an Israeli team to travel to England and get something against a Top 6 side is a great achievement.

T-Rex.

Banned
Karius: "I don’t care what Gary Neville said after the game. He was a manager for a short bit and now he is back to being an expert again."

loooool

tim.mbp

For Bayern-GAF, fun article on Müller and his visit to Waging am See.

NYT: Over Beers With Fans, Bayern Munich Delivers a Personal Touch

09BAYERN2-superJumbo.jpg

Syder

There are now 83 potential suspects and 98 clubs involved in the inquiry into child abuse in football, police chiefs have said.
The investigations span all tiers of football, "from premier clubs through to amateur", the National Police Chiefs' Council (NPCC) said.
Police forces across the country are continuing to receive calls, it added.
Of the identified victims, 98% were male, and the age at the time of abuse was between seven and 20, police said.
A total of 639 referrals had been received from the helpline set up by the children's charity the NSPCC, and directly from police forces.
The information is being passed to Operation Hydrant - which oversees the investigation of allegations of "non-recent" child sex abuse within institutions - which collates it and shares it across forces.
The NPCC's lead for child protection said the allegations were "being swiftly acted upon" by police.
Although 98 football clubs had been "referenced", not all were necessarily under investigation, the police said.
Just keeps getting worse...

El Topo

Rotherham, Jimmy Savile, this...is there a reason this keeps happening in the UK? Are there structures or attitudes there that benefit this kind of behavior that do not exist in other countries? Or on the other hand, if these events happen everywhere (to this extent), why are they only uncovered in the UK?

That said, absolutely horrible to read this and I hope the investigation uncovers as much as possible.

Rotherham, Jimmy Savile, this...is there a reason this keeps happening in the UK? Are there structures or attitudes there that benefit this kind of behavior that do not exist in other countries? Or on the other hand, if these events happen everywhere (to this extent), why are they only uncovered in the UK?

That said, absolutely horrible to read this and I hope the investigation uncovers as much as possible.

Most likely both. They are cases of nonce's hiding within well regarded institutions and in positions of power not just of those they diddled but of the institutions themselves and well regarded by their peers, often with others looking out for them. Then you have the attitudes to sex and dismissive attitudes to abuse that were rife in the 70's which is where the majority of allegations come from.

So, has a box to box mid ever been so important to a team?

Kante should have gotten paid by Leicester City. Stupid move to keep the other players and not keep Kante.

And just like that..

F U Manchitty.

Is De Bryner playing?

So, has a box to box mid ever been so important to a team?

Kante should have gotten paid by Leicester City. Stupid move to keep the other players and not keep Kante.

Like Makélélé when Real Madrid got rid of him.

Last years player of the year by far.

If he was good looking he'd be worth 80 million.

I wish it was raining here in Los Angeles.

I know it rains too often in England, but I think it's cool watching soccer in the rain.

LOL...that defense.

Get em Leicester.

Syder

You'd think you'd tighten up your defence playing away from home, in wet conditions, missing a couple of key players
but fuck it, who wants to win the league anyway?
pep.png

So, does the EPL make TV $$$ like the NFL does?

I'm trying to figure out, from a marketing revenue perspective, how the EPL could ever become a thing here in the United States like the NFL, or even like the NBA.

These 45 minute halves of no commercials...I can't see that flying.

The commercial revenue being lost...seems crazy.

So, does the EPL make TV $$$ like the NFL does?

I'm trying to figure out, from a marketing revenue perspective, how the EPL could ever become a thing here in the United States like the NFL, or even like the NBA.

These 45 minute halves of no commercials...I can't see that flying.

The commercial revenue being lost...seems crazy.

There are broadcasting rules about adverts interrupting live sporting events in the UK but other countries do show ads during games. It was unbearable watching live football when I lived in Colombia. A pop-up ad would appear every 10 minutes taking over half the screen (and all the audio). It was only on free-to-air tv, though, ESPN and FOX etc only had ads during half-time.

Top Bottom