• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

NHale

Tottenham managed to stop both City unbeatable run (6 straight at the start) and now Chelsea as well. Let's see how Chelsea reacts to this loss, if they do like City then this is going to become very interesting.

TrueBlue

Ah well.

From what I've read/heard, it was more Spurs being excellent as opposed to us being poor, so that's something. Instant response will be necessary.

Thank fuck for Spurs. Going by standard football seasons Chelsea should now have a dip of form.

So what are peoples mid-seasons thoughts on their teams?

Man City: The pre-season analysis of the players was apt, the system works looking at the stats but there are areas where the players have been piss poor, lack of authority at the back, the ability to build up from the back and going into attack with substance. I really like Fernandinho but he is no deep-laying playmaker of the quality required, Yaya is doing a good job filling that role due to the quality of his short and long game and actually running again but this needs addressing but not necessary the most important at the moment. Our wingers don't have the creativity or the accuracy required and make far too many stupid decisions, oh and Aguero has been mostly shit. The season has been alright so far but the problems are too visible and in many cases were present last season.

Thank you Spurs. Feels like 1 point gained than 2 points lost now. Just need to beat United and Chelsea and we should be alright. Hope Chelsea pulls a City now.

Should be back for the Utd game I guess?

I was living under the assumption he'd be clear after this game week, though I'm feeling pessimistic all of a sudden... Plus we don't really know about Studge right now.

Hope we make some decent moves this window, all of a sudden the squad looks a little thin, losing Mane and all.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I can't believe I missed the entire match because my stupid cable company forgot my password/login ID.

Syder

Marco Silva confirmed as new Hull City manager
Former Olympiakos manager Marco Silva has been confirmed as Hull City's new manager.
The 39-year-old Portuguese has signed until the end of the season at the KCOM Stadium.
He replaces Mike Phelan who was sacked on Tuesday with the Tigers bottom of the Premier League.
Silva left the Greek side in the summer and had previously been linked with managerial vacancies at Championship sides Wolves and Nottingham Forest.
Still fucked...

We were due. If we had won this match my expectations would definitely have been set on winning the league but as it stands I'll be happy with us simply getting back into the Champions League.

bjaelke

So this introduction to Photoshop by Everton wasn't just a Summer thing.

C1aVJcdWIAASBYz.jpg

TimmmV

Would be great if Hendo, Coutinho and Matip all are fit against Man Utd.

Think Klopp said Hendersons injury is about 10 days (after Sunderland game) iirc, which would be around the same time as cup game vs Southampton. Hopefully he is rested for that, and back vs United, which I think Coutinho was meant to be back for too. No idea about Matip though

DBT85

So what are peoples mid-seasons thoughts on their teams?

Man City: The pre-season analysis of the players was apt, the system works looking at the stats but there are areas where the players have been piss poor, lack of authority at the back, the ability to build up from the back and going into attack with substance. I really like Fernandinho but he is no deep-laying playmaker of the quality required, Yaya is doing a good job filling that role due to the quality of his short and long game and actually running again but this needs addressing but not necessary the most important at the moment. Our wingers don't have the creativity or the accuracy required and make far too many stupid decisions, oh and Aguero has been mostly shit. The season has been alright so far but the problems are too visible and in many cases were present last season.

Man Utd: The results are finally holding up against the performances. Those were there earlier but for whatever reason we couldn't keep the door shut and see games out and United fans were being told that we should get Moyes back lol. It's been so great to see Mhiki get game time and he's already showing just how valuable he can be. Pogba has I think shrugged off a lot of early negative press which was largely caused by his transfer fee (which I've never understood as its never the player that decides that fee). He's shown moments of brilliance though IMO he's still giving the ball away too easily at times in situations where he's not under any real pressure. Zlatan continuing to Zlatan.

Rojo needs a slap. De Gea is still the best keeper in the league by a margin.

Oh and Rooney still hasn't got his goals because Mou stopped giving him game time. imokwiththis.jpg. He's had a couple of niggles but in PL games he's been available for he's managed just 365 mins in the last 900 mins. In the 15 games he's been in the match day squad for he's scored once, on the opening day, and has played 813 minutes out of the 1,350 mins available.

To cap it off we didn't drop any points over the busy xmas period, in part due to our easier fixtures. It's helped us close up on Chelsea, Liverpool, City and Arsenal who dropped 3, 2, 3 and 2 respectively.

Need to improve the goal difference in the send half of the season and keep working hard. Also we need to do better against the top 6. We're bottom of that particular table.

Confident of a top 4 finish.

sora87

Tiago Ilori off to Reading apparently. Shame, would have been nice to have a fast centre-back but he did seem far too weak for the prem.

Syder

John Mikel Obi makes Chinese Super League move
Midfielder John Mikel Obi has left Chelsea to join Chinese Super League side Tianjin TEDA.
The 29-year-old Nigerian has played 372 times for Chelsea since joining in 2006 but has not featured this season.
He said it had been "an honour" to play for the Stamford Bridge club but it was time to "seek a new challenge".
Mikel has won two Premier League titles, four FA Cups and the 2012 Champions League during his time at Stamford Bridge.
"I haven't featured as much this season as I would have liked and I still have many years in the game ahead of me," Mikel wrote on Twitter in a message to Chelsea fans.
"With this in mind, I feel now is the time to seek a new challenge.
"I'm delighted to be joining Tianjin TEDA FC at a time that the Chinese Super League is really taking off, and I look forward to helping Tianjin TEDA FC continue to grow.
"To play in the Premier League is every professional player's ambition.
"But to play for Chelsea, to become part of the Chelsea family to work with some of the best managers and players in the world, has truly been an honour.
Mikel is the second Chelsea player to move to the Chinese Super League in recent weeks following Oscar's transfer to Shanghai SIPG.

...and it's over already.

Chinese Super League clubs face caps on spending after 'burning money'
China's chief sports governing body has announced plans to cap the big spending of Chinese Super League clubs.
The league's current pre-season transfer window is set to break records in the wake of Oscar's £60m move to Shanghai SIPG from Chelsea and Shanghai Shenhua's £40m capture of Carlos Tevez.
The Argentina striker has reportedly signed a deal worth £310,000 a week.
A spokesperson for China's General Administration of Sport said clubs in the country were "burning money".
The spokesperson added that the government body would "strengthen examination and supervision of clubs' financial affairs, progressively control clubs' expenditures on first-team players and ensure favourable financial conditions".
In December, Cristiano Ronaldo's agent Jorge Mendes claimed the player was offered an £85m annual salary after an unnamed Chinese club approached Real Madrid with a £250m bid.
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger and Chelsea counterpart Antonio Conte are among the leading figures to have expressed concern about players being lured to China because of the financial benefits.
The 2017 Chinese Super League campaign begins in March and finishes in November.

Audioboxer

Wasn't able to join in the festive football wave on GAF due to a ban, but I'm here now and hell yeah, the good ole premier league twists and turns!

Chelsea, pls.

Arsenal, you lucky boys. Hard fought but bloody hell Bournemouth, that was an exercise on totally shitting the bed.

As a United fan I will say Jones, your handbag was found and can be collected at lost property. Cannot stand players feigning injury to get other players sent off/booked. Glad the FA had some balls and oveturned Feghouli's red. However in general referees/linesmen had one hell of a Christmas period with decisions.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Hank Winter, writing about how Tottenham stifled Chelsea: "The word from the Spurs camp is that they targeted a particular weakness in Conte’s defence, and sent in Dele Alli to exploit the space to the right side of Chelsea’s central three at the back. Pochettino also deputed Victor Wanyama to blot out Kanté, suffocating Eden Hazard. Wanyama redesigned the garden of Eden."

As a United fan I will say Jones, your handbag was found and can be collected at lost property. Cannot stand players feigning injury to get other players sent off/booked. Glad the FA had some balls and oveturned Feghouli's red. However in general referees/linesmen had one hell of a Christmas period with decisions.
I disagree with this. While I agree that the challenge was definitely not a red card, Feghouli still made a lunging tackle which could've easily given Jones a bit of a knock. It's not like he was claiming studs up and was carted off the pitch. While it's nice that the FA overturned the ban, I feel like they shouldn't have since it was definitely a foul deserving of a yellow card in my opinion. Overturning a red means that there was absolutely no foul committed, which there was.

I disagree with this. While I agree that the challenge was definitely not a red card, Feghouli still made a lunging tackle which could've easily given Jones a bit of a knock. It's not like he was claiming studs up and was carted off the pitch. While it's nice that the FA overturned the ban, I feel like they shouldn't have since it was definitely a foul deserving of a yellow card in my opinion. Overturning a red means that there was absolutely no foul committed, which there was.

Yeah. I really didn't like the "Jones played for a red" comments. That challenge could, and probably did, really hurt.

It wasn't a red card, but it was still a little over the top.

Top Bottom