• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Floody

Thank fuck we were able to see it through, suppose it's good to know we still can't keep a lead at all. Another amazing Liverpool-Arsenal game though, almost always count on that.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Wenger had months to prepare for this match, he knew we needed defenders and a striker.

Totally inexcusable.

sora87

Klopp bringing the fight this season
Q0BConc.gif

NHale

why are people so upset about arsene wenger? he is always rock solid. 2nd place finish last year, FA cup the year before that... much better than 10th place PL with chelsea from someone else that gets heralded as the next messiah (and um.. the points that lead chelsea to the 10th place were earned by someone else.)

I'm sure Arsenal fans would love getting a title followed by a 10th place then just finishing in the top 4 every year. Consistency doesn't earn you trophies and great clubs want trophies, so unless Arsenal fans don't consider their club a great club, the expectation should always be a title contender and not fail for 12 years and counting...

Wenger is actually a great coach but he has failed to adjust to transfer market business since prices raised. Even last week he was complaining about transfer fees being reasonable between French teams but then when an English team goes there to buy, the prices raise because they know every English team has money (I bet it's frustration because Lyon raised the price of Lacazette). It does seem Wenger refuses to pay the prices required in the market or really believes their current players are enough to win (and without injuries I believe they are).

Floody

Wenger had months to prepare for this match, he knew we needed defenders and a striker.

Totally inexcusable.

Your 1st choices are injured, aren't they? Can't really blame him for that. Hopefully, this is a wake-up call though, as I do like Arsenal for the most part and there's no way your fanbase could take not finishing in the top 4.

King_Moc

Banned
Your 1st choices are injured, aren't they? Can't really blame him for that. Hopefully, this is a wake-up call though, as I do like Arsenal for the most part and there's no way your fanbase could take not finishing in the top 4.

The CB's all have fairly long term injuries. You can't brag about having £200m to spend and then do nothing about it. Those fans pay over £60 for a ticket.

Floody

The CB's all have fairly long term injuries. You can't brag about having £200m to spend and then do nothing about it. Those fans pay over £60 for a ticket.

Oh, thought they were just short term injuries, yeah he's taking the piss a bit then.

Lashley

Martial, Sagna and Lloris all played this weekend. Payet will play tomorrow.

How the fuck can't Arsenal play Giroud, Koscielny and Ozil? Weak mentality from them tbh, they should jump at the chance.

No, Kos, Giroud and Ozil all on holiday.

The other injuries he had enough time to fix.

Koscielny isn't fit as he was given 4 weeks off after the Euros. Mertesacker is injured but it could be argued that a replacement (or at the very least competition) should have been a priority at the start of the summer.

Godan

Well was expecting a draw out of the game as we had issues at the back. Really should have did more in the first half after we went 1 up. Surely Wenger is in talks with a CB and a ST. We can just put wingers up front when our one ST is out.

Floody

Martial, Sagna and Lloris all played this weekend. Payet will play tomorrow.

How the fuck can't Arsenal play Giroud, Koscielny and Ozil? Weak mentality from them tbh, they should jump at the chance.

No, Kos, Giroud and Ozil all on holiday.

The other injuries he had enough time to fix.

Yeah, I thought they were all just slightly injured, didn't know it was that bad/silly. Hey, at least you don't have Moreno, so could be worse.

sora87

I tell you what, I haven't missed Arsenal ruining my weekends.

Wenger's gonna be forced to dish out the cash before the end of this transfer window, he can't get away with it this time especially with how others are spending and how competitive this season's looking likely to be

El Topo

Wenger's gonna be forced to dish out the cash before the end of this transfer window, he can't get away with it this time especially with how others are spending and how competitive this season's looking likely to be

It's not like great talent is all that available. They'll regret not getting Götze.

velociraptor

Wenger is a fucking muppet and is holding the club back. Same old problems for the past 6 years. Unfathomable.

Every other club has improved significantly whilst he has done nothing but twiddle his stupid thumbs.

Every other club would have sacked him, but not Arsenal.

I can see them just paying whatever for Lacazette after today and getting Mustafi in too
That's not how Wenger does things. The last time Wenger went panic buying was after the 8-2 defeat to Utd and bought the world class talent that is Mertersacker, Arteta, Benayoun and Andres Santos...

Audioboxer

He needs to. There is not even an excuse really, Prem League money has gone to every club. You even see Bournemouth breaking the bank! lol

If Man Utd can scout and get someone like Bailly for 30m I think it was, so can other clubs (find reasonably priced targets). Arsenal need help in defence and they need a striker.

TeddyBoy

I can't actually believe we hung on in there at the end, one of our biggest issues last season was conceding late goals and throwing away leads. If we can hold onto our leads this year it'll mean a huge improvement for us over the season.

Ok, just going to get this out of my system. Apologies beforehand for this rant

There is absolutely nothing to feel good about, or hopeful about, regarding Arsenal

Going into the first game of the season with no CBs. Not signing a striker YET ...AGAIN.

The lack of preparation for the start of the season is disgraceful. Who cares if the window isn't closed yet. 3 points is 3 points. A team with ambition actually interested in winning the league would have done more to be ready. But us? Nah. What are they waiting for? Last minute deals to save a few pounds? Fuck off.

It's painfully obvious what would help this team or what it needs to anyone with even passing knowledge of the game. Yet the ownership with all their resources can't be bothered.

Who cares what we do at this point. Any signing we make at this point will probably be some make shift Welbeck like panic buy. Even with the absurd TV money, We are getting outspent by teams in Serie A.

We will not achieve anything this year. We aren't good enough to compete or play with our competition. We will get routed in "big" games by Chelsea, the Manchester clubs, probably Spurs too

Last season was the year we should have won a league title, and we lost it to Leicester fucking City.

The big clubs in the prem will likely never all collectively be shit like that at the same time ever again. If we couldn't win it last year, when the fuck are we ever going to win it. If we couldn't finish 1st last year, we 100% have no chance of it this year. Especially after not buying ANYONE that will really help push us forward.

Maybe we'll have a good run of form to save face and some embarrassment. Finish top four.

But big fucking whoop. Who cares. I don't care about playing in the CL just so the ownership can pocket the money and not reinvest in the team. I don't care about playing in a tournament we have less than zero percent chance of winning. As of now it's just a distraction from the league. What good does getting embarrassed by Barcelona and Bayern every year do for us exactly. Other than waste our fucking time.

This game should have ended 4 - 1

A lucky deflected goal
Moreno's gift to Walcott

The only one that counted for Arsenal without any luck was the Chamber's goal.

Audioboxer

There is absolutely nothing to feel good about, or hopeful about, regarding Arsenal

Going into the first game of the season with no CBs. Not signing a striker YET ...AGAIN.

The lack of preparation for the start of the season is disgraceful. Who cares if the window isn't closed yet. 3 points is 3 points. A team with ambition actually interested in winning the league would have done more to be ready. But us? Nah. What are they waiting for? Last minute deals to save a few pounds? Fuck off.

It's painfully obvious what would help this team or what it needs to anyone with even passing knowledge of the game. Yet the ownership with all their resources can't be bothered.

Who cares what we do at this point. Any signing we make at this point will probably be some make shift Welbeck like panic buy. Even with the absurd TV money, We are getting outspent by teams in Serie A.

We will not achieve anything this year. We aren't good enough to compete or play with our competition. We will get routed in "big" games by Chelsea, the Manchester clubs, probably Spurs too

Last season was the year we should have won a league title, and we lost it to Leicester fucking City.

The big clubs in the prem will likely never all collectively be shit like that at the same time ever again. If we couldn't win it last year, when the fuck are we ever going to win it. If we couldn't finish 1st last year, we 100% have no chance of it this year. Especially after not buying ANYONE that will really help push us forward.

Maybe we'll have a good run of form to save face and some embarrassment. Finish top four.

But big fucking whoop. Who cares. I don't care about playing in the CL just so the ownership can pocket the money and not reinvest in the team. I don't care about playing in a tournament we have less than zero percent chance of winning. As of now it's just a distraction from the league. What good does getting embarrassed by Barcelona and Bayern every year do for us exactly. Other than waste our fucking time.

Ironically last minute deals mean over paying.

Thank you David Moyes for spending 27.5m on Fellaini as the transfer window was closing. Even with inflated Prem League costs paying 27.5m for Fellaini today would be LOL.

As much as everyone has their thoughts on Jose the one thing Man Utd has actually done right this time is get the main business done BEFORE the season kicks off. Even Pogba could have played today if not suspended. Any more transfers now are just gravy.

Floody

Just realised that 5 of the goal were from former Southampton players, they'd have one hell of a team if they didn't sell so much.

Kuros

Good god I have missed the football. Just for this kind of post.

No untruths spoken.

King_Moc

Banned
People have been saying that about Arsenal for over a decade now. Wenger is on the last year of his contact, but he's been so good for the executives bank balances will they really let him go?

Lashley

People have been saying that about Arsenal for over a decade now. Wenger is on the last year of his contact, but he's been so good for the executives bank balances will they really let him go?

No, they'll try to keep him, he might retire though.

Wabi

Neo Member
Xhaka's a little hot head. Going to be easy to exploit that temper of his.

Glad Liverpool won btw. Always enjoy hearing those boo's from the Arsenal fans, and of course listening to the rants after the game.

Syder

This next game could be a total clusterfuck.
ConteIsPleased.png

As for Arsenal, their Top 4 spot has never been under threat more than this season. People need to shut up about Lacazette.

'Lacazette! Lacazette! Lacazette! All our problems will be fixed if we get a world class striker!'

No. Arsenal's problems are more than starting XI deep. There's a fundamental attitude problem at Arsenal where being 'runners-up' is totally fine as along as profits are made. The board are clearly very happy for Arsène Wenger to stay as long as Champions League football is achieved every season. Wenger has been cheaping out in attempts to replace Vieira/Gilberto, Campbell/Touré and Henry for the last decade. Look at the Arsenal bench, Steve fucking Bould, one of the most formidable defenders in English football for a decade, is sat there; are you telling me he's not coaching those players on how to defend? ...and what happens to these young players Arsenal bring through/buy? How poor is the coaching that it seems to barely improve the 'wonder kids' Arsenal have had over the years? The list of players like Walcott, Ramsay, Wilshere, Chamberlain, Gnaby, etc. that have been with the club for a while and don't seem like they'll ever reach the level expected, watch Arsenal ruin Chambers, Iwobi and Holding too. The amount of players they've let go who have been touted as 'the next big thing' is ridiculous too. Don't even get me started on the club's injury track record. It doesn't help that Wenger only comes at matches with a totally unadaptable Plan A only, I mean how often do Arsenal go down in a game and actually come back?

If I were an Arsenal fan and they haven't bought a defender and a striker by September 1st I'd just take 4th place there and then because they're not going to do any better with the competitiveness of the league this year.

Top Bottom