• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Lunar FC

Just was hoping pool would give me a reason to post the dabbin klopp pic. :(
C3h5oNuVMAAVVAx.jpg

Klopp has to be heavily criticised for coming into this season with Lovren and the Sakho situation.

I agree. You have a very good defender in the reserves but you are letting your pride get in the way. I trhink Klopp is a good manager but sometimes you have to say "Ok things aren't going well, maybe the lad has been punished enough" and let him back into the team. I think its ridiculous the way he has treated Sakho.

DBT85

Syder

Brentford striker Hogan joins Villa from Brentford - fee could reach £12m
Saints sign Italy striker Gabbiadini for reported £14m
Burnley sign Robbie Brady for club record - more than £10.5m
Watford striker Ighalo joins Chinese side Changchun Yatai for £20m

nitewulf

Why does Wenger do this?? Why change the team that thrashed Southampton? How does Giroud get a start...he offers nothing as a starter, he is a great substitute striker. Why change away from the formation of Sanchez in the middle which was working so well?

And I'm actually flying in to London this weekend to watch them play. I paid out the ass for tickets in the away fan section. I am so frustrated.

TimmmV

Just got back from the Liverpool game, atmosphere was great, better than its been in ages.

Not seen a replay yet but that looked an absolute joke of a penalty

Also, fuck Costa

Mamadou Sakho joins Crystal Palace on-loan.

He's too good to be playing Palace. They've done really well there

Why does Wenger do this?? Why change the team that thrashed Southampton? How does Giroud get a start...he offers nothing as a starter, he is a great substitute striker. Why change away from the formation of Sanchez in the middle which was working so well?

And I'm actually flying in to London this weekend to watch them play. I paid out the ass for tickets in the away fan section. I am so frustrated.

Away games are always good regardless of the outcome, very different set of fans than the masses at home.

sora87

Agreed. If he was available on loan I wouldn't have minded taking him. Klopp's got this one badly wrong.

What was it even about, interrupting an interview for a laugh?

Sakho was always very dodgy with his feet but he was in really good form towards the end of last season. Strange one.

Burnley remains a mystery to me. They've got 28 points out of 39 at home. Away they managed to collect just one point (at Old Trafford of course).

T-Rex.

Banned
Not really. He took supplements last year that got him banned (wrongly, sure, but he missed some crucial games nonetheless) and then after that he decides to piss about during pre-season by missing/being late to sessions intent on getting him fit and also being late to team bonding meals like that article says. And then once the season started instead of getting his head down and trying to force his way into the team he started crying about it on snapchat and pretty much called out Klopp. Didn't PSG get rid of him because of attitude problems as well?

Godan

Be interesting to see if Wenger signs a new deal in the summer to stay. Out of the title race now and i really don't see us winning the FA cup.

Only reason i think he stayed the last time was because we win the FA cup.

NHale

Be interesting to see if Wenger signs a new deal in the summer to stay. Out of the title race now and i really don't see us winning the FA cup.

Only reason i think he stayed the last time was because we win the FA cup.

I think the reasons he's still at Arsenal are that he keeps them in the Champions League (£££££) every year which isn't a guarantee in the PL and he's a low profile manager that doesn't complain publicly when he doesn't get the players he wants.

There is also always a risk replacing Wenger even if he keeps failing at winning the league for 12 straight years. Arsenal can get someone that doesn't adapt to the Premier League and finishes 6th in the league and then what?

Look at Pep struggling to adapt. Simeone might be the answer but at the same time he might require a complete overhaul of the actual squad to adapt to his defensive style. So people keep mentioning him as the ideal replacement, but will the Arsenal management acquire the players necessary for that transition? And if they fail to get the players will Simeone or any other top manager be quiet in the press and not complain like Wenger does?

Audioboxer

I think the reasons he's still at Arsenal are that he keeps them in the Champions League (£££££) every year which isn't a guarantee in the PL and he's a low profile manager that doesn't complain publicly when he doesn't get the players he wants.

There is also always a risk replacing Wenger even if he keeps failing at winning the league for 12 straight years. Arsenal can get someone that doesn't adapt to the Premier League and finishes 6th in the league and then what?

Look at Pep struggling to adapt. Simeone might be the answer but at the same time he might require a complete overhaul of the actual squad to adapt to his defensive style. So people keep mentioning him as the ideal replacement, but will the Arsenal management acquire the players necessary for that transition? And if they fail to get the players will Simeone or any other top manager be quiet in the press and not complain like Wenger does?

And Wenger hardly spends a penny. Keeps the shareholders happy.

You're going to have to replace him eventually anyway, so either you take the opportunity now or just continue floating by, remaining stagnant and underachieving like they have for the last 10 years.

If the higher ups at the club have any ambition, if they want to see Arsenal actually winning things, then Wenger wouldn't be offered a new contract. But as you said, he guarantees them profitability which is what they are far more concerned with.

I'd argue that regardless of who eventually replaces Wenger though, whether it be a manager that favours a style of play that is similar to Wenger's or something completely different, that squad needs gutting anyway. There are far too many players at Arsenal that haven't reached anywhere near their potential but have continually been allowed to underperform (Gibbs, Ramsey, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott, Gabriel, Jenkinson, Coquelin), and there are a few players that are reaching the twilight of their careers (Mertesacker, Cazorla, Koscielny, Cech, Giroud etc.).

TimmmV

Agreed. If he was available on loan I wouldn't have minded taking him. Klopp's got this one badly wrong.

I'd be inclined to agree with you, can understand starting Matip ahead of him, but he should have been getting picked ahead of Klavan and Lucas when Matip was injured.

Its been implied that Sakho has done other things on tip of missing flight/training/meals, but they haven't really said what, without knowing that I'm hesitant to say absolutely that Klopp has made a mistake, but based on whats publicly known, yeah I don't think thats enough to freeze Sakho out.

It wasn't

Hmm, I'm not sure I agree (having seen motd). Costa definitely gets touched, but I don't think that amount of contact really warrants a foul or Costa throwing himself to the floor like that.

Clattenburg was falling for Hazard and Costa all game, it absolutely did my tits in

You're going to have to replace him eventually anyway, so either you take the opportunity now or just continue floating by, remaining stagnant and underachieving like they have for the last 10 years.

If the higher ups at the club have any ambition, if they want to see Arsenal actually winning things, then Wenger wouldn't be offered a new contract. But as you said, he guarantees them profitability which is what they are far more concerned with.

I'd argue that regardless of who eventually replaces Wenger though, whether it be a manager that favours a style of play that is similar to Wenger's or something completely different, that squad needs gutting anyway. There are far too many players at Arsenal that haven't reached anywhere near their potential but have continually been allowed to underperform (Gibbs, Ramsey, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott, Gabriel, Jenkinson, Coquelin), and there are a few players that are reaching the twilight of their careers (Mertesacker, Cazorla, Koscielny, Cech, Giroud etc.).

Can you not see Arsenal struggling a bit like United have once Wenger leaves? Replacing a manager as central to the club as they are/were is really, really hard

Godan

Can you not see Arsenal struggling a bit like United have once Wenger leaves? Replacing a manager as central to the club as they are/were is really, really hard

Sorta but i do think the board would give whoever comes in more time than alot more teams would.

Jarnet87

Some early reports from yesterday/earlier today that Mkhitaryan will start and Martial will be on the bench. Also Pogba with a new hairdo, we all know how well that worked against Liverpool.

Audioboxer

Some early reports from yesterday/earlier today that Mkhitaryan will start and Martial will be on the bench. Also Pogba with a new hairdo, we all know how well that worked against Liverpool.

Oh great >_>

lol10 alol feat. dt

https://twitter.com/paddypower/status/826760097388961792

I do have to wonder how much time if they came in and finished 6th or 7th.

Man, Arsenal fans can sure be bonkers. Dunno how I haven't tuned into ArsenalTV more often. Jeez, any time they draw or get beaten it's going to be my first port of call on YouTube now LOL.

DBT85

Oh great >_>

Man, Arsenal fans can sure be bonkers. Dunno how I haven't tuned into ArsenalTV more often. Jeez, any time they draw or get beaten it's going to be my first port of call on YouTube now LOL.
You HAVE to watch the ones from the first game of the year when Liverpool put 4 past them at the Emirates.

1 game into the season lol. As usual, Bludfam (top video), DT give me the giggles most.

https://www.youtube.com/user/arsenalfanstv/search?query=liverpool+4

Let's hope we don't give them some banter opportunities tonight.

Incoming 1-1 draw, 0-0 at half time...

Optimistic, you don't think it'll be 0-1 at HT lol.

Genuinely not sure what will happen, thats how different things are these days. 6 years ago vs the bottom of the league team? Easy win. Now? Maaaaybe?

Thing is, there are clearly goals in the team, with an early goal we could have had a few 4-0 results this year. Instead we got late goal draws.

Jarnet87

It's the best. Claude vs Ty are some battles on there..

Ty's blind optimism vs Claude's sickening disgust makes for a great watch. I await the day Ty gets his moment in the Sun and gets to say I told you so if Arsenal fall off when Wenger retires.

I think the worst it got for the Full time Devils videos was under Moyes.

Top Bottom