• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Jesus scored his first, I heard he played well. Did anyone watch? Can't find videos on YouTube because of copyrights.

Boy is a beast, I hope he can keep scoting, he is Brazil's 9 next year.

Yeah he was very good, tracking back, picking the ball of attackers feet, creating many chances, assisting and scoring. Very exciting to watch. He got the BT Sports man of the match. If he plays like that every game Aguero will be losing his place.

Sané was my favourite player in that game. Played very similarly to Jesus but just that little bit faster and sharper and some very intelligent positioning and off ball movement I'd not seen from him before.

Audioboxer

RI4elEo.jpg

Member when Man Utd knew how to finish in the top 4?

Empty

post fergie united

fall way behind rivals -> put together a good run of form against shit teams > league table looks open again > feel excited > drop points pointlessly > fall way behind rivals

Syder

Roberto Firmino fined & banned over drink driving charge
Roberto Firmino has been banned from driving for a year and fined £20,000 for drink-driving. The 25-year-old Brazil international was arrested after his Range Rover was stopped in Liverpool city centre in the early hours of Christmas Eve. In a statement, the Liverpool FC forward said what he did was wrong and "apologised without reservation". The club said it had "disciplined" him but the action would remain private and it would not affect his selection. Liverpool Magistrates' Court heard Firmino had left a restaurant and was seen to cross into the opposite carriageway on Strand Street when he was stopped by police. He was taken to a police station and breathalysed. He had a reading of 46 micrograms of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath above the legal limit in England of 35 micrograms.

Michael Hogan, defending, said the incident happened the day after the footballer's home in Mossley Hill was targeted by burglars who were "prepared to use extreme force". The court heard he and his family had moved into a hotel on police advice. Mr Hogan said Firmino has very young children and neither he or his wife can speak more than a few words of English. "Had they been in the house when it was burgled, who can say what might have happened at the hands of the robbers. That it should happen in his own home so close to Christmas caused him considerable anxiety and distress." He said the burglary had also caused a "considerable financial loss" to the player and his family, with thieves reportedly taking £70,000 worth of jewellery, watches and clothes. Mr Hogan added: "He was preoccupied and accepts he should have kept a closer eye on what he had to drink."

Despite that, District Judge Miriam Shelvey said it was Firmino's responsibility to check he was not over the limit. Liverpool FC signed the forward on a five-year deal for about £29m in 2015 After the hearing, Firmino who is reportedly on £100,000 a week, released a statement which said: "What I have done is wrong and sets a bad example." He added: "I promise to everyone in the LFC family that I will learn from this mistake, learn from this experience, and not repeat it in the future." Firmino played in Tuesday night's 1-1 draw against Chelsea at Anfield. He was signed from Hoffenheim on a five-year deal for £29m in 2015.
Twat.

Jarnet87

Mou should have started Martial over Rashford, and he should not have brought on Rooney. the move to bring on attacking minded player for Carrick was fine, but Rooney offers nothing in a game where a team is parking it. Dogshit performances by the players and they deserve the majority of the blame.

elseanio

"46 micrograms of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath above the legal limit in England of 35 micrograms."

Anyone know what this would be in terms of pints/spirits?

Terrible excuse from him. Is this punishment in-line with what a regular joe would receive?

azyless

"46 micrograms of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath above the legal limit in England of 35 micrograms."

Terrible excuse from him. Is this punishment in-line with what a regular joe would receive?
46mg/100mL of breath is about 4 standard drinks here I think, so I'd say about 2 (imperial) pints. On top of the 35mg.

Audioboxer

post fergie united

fall way behind rivals -> put together a good run of form against shit teams > league table looks open again > feel excited > drop points pointlessly > fall way behind rivals

Attitude problems have been rife in players post Fergie. There is a reason he could get average players playing like they were 'world class'. Now we have big Tony sulking around 24/7.

ty_hot

Yeah he was very good, tracking back, picking the ball of attackers feet, creating many chances, assisting and scoring. Very exciting to watch. He got the BT Sports man of the match. If he plays like that every game Aguero will be losing his place.

Sané was my favourite player in that game. Played very similarly to Jesus but just that little bit faster and sharper and some very intelligent positioning and off ball movement I'd not seen from him before.

Finally found a Video. Yesterday even videos posted a minute ago were already blocked because of copyright issues haha. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYMFF1VjSh0

He was the first to score and assist in the first game as starting 11 in the Premier League. Great beginning.

King_Moc

Banned

Sounds like around 2 pints of beer.

Punishment is harsher than your average Joe, it's £20k!

TimmmV

Anything to deflect away from Utd's real problems.

Same as usual. United have a bad result, then Mourinho creates some controversy and there is a report in the press about how United are gonna sign some superstar (today its Griezmann), and now no one is talking about them dropping points

Its a classic trick that works really well, even if Mourinho has gone from tedious to just boring now

DBT85

Same as usual. United have a bad result, then Mourinho creates some controversy and there is a report in the press about how United are gonna sign some superstar (today its Griezmann), and now no one is talking about them dropping points

Its a classic trick that works really well, even if Mourinho has gone from tedious to just boring now

Its been his MO since he started managing. Deflect.

Attitude problems have been rife in players post Fergie. There is a reason he could get average players playing like they were 'world class'. Now we have big Tony sulking around 24/7.

Although the stuff Fergie got Man Utd to achieve for almost 30 years is unique, a dip was always on the cards at some point.

Audioboxer

Although the stuff Fergie got Man Utd to achieve for almost 30 years is unique, a dip was always on the cards at some point.

A dip sure, but so many players turning up for wages and sulking around is a culture being bred. Moyes and Van Gaal completely arsed the club up, and Mourinho does have a lot to try and fix, but he's such a mixed bag and lacks the focus Fergie had.

Yes, we need a manager who will drop a player like Rooney when he is shit and take no nonsense but said manager needs to be above sulking himself, and Mou is not that. Often if Fergie wanted to take a pop at the press he'd stand his ground, Mourinho does the snide comment, and then a runner.

Pogba needs to be next on the chopping block like Martial. His performances have been really bad as of late. It's clearly attitude problems considering Pogba seems more concerned about marketing and haircuts than knuckling down. Martial can't go one game without huffing and sighing around the pitch every pass he screws up, or dribble that fails. Leaders in that United dressing room beside Mourinho need to rattle some sense into the younger players with potential. Hence how I see it as an attitude problem.

I'm sure it's a great laugh being a group of rich mates outside of the games, but too many players are letting the club down with a lack of passion and commitment. Rooney has seemingly completely lost that from his game and aura as well, unfit to be a captain now.

It's why the lower league teams are destroying the big boys. They have "modestly" paid players who care about the club first, before how fancy their cars are and what marketing deals they have.

TimmmV

Its been his MO since he started managing. Deflect.

Yah definitely, just he does it so much that you just get bored of hearing him complain now. One thing Ferguson was really good at was to time his mind games for maximum effect, Mourinho doesn't seem capable of doing that

A dip sure, but so many players turning up for wages and sulking around is a culture being bred. Moyes and Van Gaal completely arsed the club up, and Mourinho does have a lot to try and fix, but he's such a mixed bag and lacks the focus Fergie had.

Yes, we need a manager who will drop a player like Rooney when he is shit and take no nonsense but said manager needs to be above sulking himself, and Mou is not that. Often if Fergie wanted to take a pop at the press he'd stand his ground, Mourinho does the snide comment, and then a runner.

Pogba needs to be next on the chopping block like Martial. His performances have been really bad as of late. It's clearly attitude problems considering Pogba seems more concerned about marketing and haircuts than knuckling down. Martial can't go one game without huffing and sighing around the pitch every pass he screws up, or dribble that fails. Leaders in that United dressing room beside Mourinho need to rattle some sense into the younger players with potential. Hence how I see it as an attitude problem.

I'm sure it's a great laugh being a group of rich mates outside of the games, but too many players are letting the club down with a lack of passion and commitment. Rooney has seemingly completely lost that from his game and aura as well, unfit to be a captain now.

It's why the lower league teams are destroying the big boys. They have "modestly" paid players who care about the club first, before how fancy their cars are and what marketing deals they have.

Honestly, United post-Ferguson remind me of Madrid in the Galacticos years, with a lot of their focus being more about success as a brand than putting football first. It would be better for their fans if the club more tried to be the English Bayern tbh

Audioboxer

Yah definitely, just he does it so much that you just get bored of hearing him complain now. One thing Ferguson was really good at was to time his mind games for maximum effect, Mourinho doesn't seem capable of doing that

Honestly, United post-Ferguson remind me of Madrid in the Galacticos years, with a lot of their focus being more about success as a brand than putting football first. It would be better for their fans if the club more tried to be the English Bayern tbh

Tbh that was the Glazers during the Fergie reign too, but Fergie done such a good job of just letting them do whatever they were going to do and double down to making sure any player putting a shirt on cared about the club before what the shareholders were wanking over.

While Mourinho has a little bit of Fergie's fire to spit, he's such a big baby when it comes to himself coming under scrutiny. Even when Fergie deflected the media from going after his players you knew fine well in that changing room away from the public eye he was launching boots and verbally assaulting players lol. While Mourinho probably does it better than Moyes who was a doormat and Van Gaal who was totally Mr Authoritarian, Mourinho's antics in public leave him fair game for players to point out the hypocrisy. Mourinho acts like a crybaby, so players act like crybabies. Always huffing, sighing, whining and looking like utter crybabies on the field. Honestly, watch 90 minutes of Pogba or Martial in any game, they whine non-stop every time THEY do something wrong. Sigh sigh sigh, eye rolling, huffing, arms flailing x 100.

Someone in that team needs to call them massive fucking babies and embarrass them into acting like proper professionals. At one time that might of been Rooney, but he's so castrated these days and probably spending more time planning his move to C£h£i£n£a. Roy Keane would have crucified some of these players, as would Schmeichel.

This isn't just at Man Utd though, it's happening at other big clubs too. Look at how badly Arsenal miss a Tony Adams, Vieira or a Keown. So many babies in football these days, not enough "hard men". By that I mean aggression and passion that is about football, not just shouting at people. What we have is rich boys clubs.

Syder

If I were an Arsenal fan and had to watch my team crumble year after year and then this delusional fucker with an Arsenal tracksuit, Arsenal water bottle, Arsenal headphones came and talked about that they can still win the league, I would hate him too.
DEFEATS by dre

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Championship is getting very very interesting somewhat late in the season, ecstatic with tonight's result.

DBT85

Looking at the results from the midweek games, the only highlight for me as a United fan is that nobody else that we are looking to catch pulled away. January should have seen us take at least 7 out of 9 points, but we only got 5. Feb is 1 game down and we've already dropped 2 more. Fine we got through in the FA and EFL and even managed to score 11 goals in 4 games, but it was against Hull, Reading and Wigan.

We're still only 5 points off 2nd so I'm still confident of winning the Arsenal trophy, but we've got so much to do in the final 3rd. 33 goals in 23 games. Eugh.

Completely random thought. "Wonder if a 2 free subs under 19" would be a way of getting more young players minutes in the top flight.

DEFEATS by dre

lol8

Would read again.

Jarnet87

United play the last game of the weekend. Not sure if I should root for other teams to win so we won't drop points, or for everyone but Chelsea to lose and we creep up 1 point in a dreadful draw against Leicester.

Top Bottom