• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

OCD Guy

Jut seen Napoli's goal. Lol at Navas in no mans land, what the fuck.

Saw the penalty call again for Bayern, I love how Bellerins blatant handball was not called, I like Bellerin but he was lucky there.

LeleSocho

Banned
Real-Napoli referee is a joke, there was a yellow card on the foul on Mertens and gave the yellow on Zelinski when it was the cleanest thing ever.
Also there wasn't any corner on Benzema's missed goal near the end.
I swear if we end up doing bad because of the referee i'm going to invoke all the supernatural powers i can to screw him up.

I'm ok with losing 6-1 against Real but it has to be fair.

OCD Guy

Real-Napoli referee is a joke, there was a yellow card on the foul on Mertens and gave the yellow on Zelinski when it was the cleanest thing ever.
Also there wasn't any corner on Benzema's missed goal near the end.
I swear if we end up doing bad because of the referee i'm going to invoke all the supernatural powers i can to screw him up.

I'm ok with losing 6-1 against Real but it has to be fair.

Who's been controlling the game, or has it been close? Scoreline doesn't always reflect how good teams play as you know?

I hope Napoli win though. Either way I don't want Barca, Ral or Bayern to win the champions league (Barca are unlikely so only 2 to go)

There needs to be an overhaul with referees, we have the technology there to simply have someone view calls they're unsure about on video and give the ref a decision.

Recently there are more and more matches that are decided because of the referee and it pisses me off. They should be monitoring the game, not changing it completely with bullshit decisions.

Arsenal going for the brown envelopes.

But to be fair, even without pen they had chances.

As soon as Arsenal started pressing, and getting stuck into tackles the game changed a little and they did have a few chances.

They can't just sit back and invite Bayern to attack them as they'll get destroyed.

I know Wenger won't want to play with a very high line and attack too much because of the counter, but they can't go the other extreme and play defensively with 11 men behind the ball.

VLiberty

still not as bad as UEL 2015 semis' ref. oh jeez I hope I haven't jinxed it now lol

btw it's not like we're playing well. I don't know, maybe the team is way too young (diawara is '97, zielinski is '94 and it's their first foray in CL) and they're shitting their pants, this won't end up well

LeleSocho

Banned
Who's been controlling the game, or has it been close? Scoreline doesn't always reflect how good teams play as you know?

I hope Napoli win though.

There needs to be an overhaul with referees, we have the technology there to simply have someone view calls they're unsure about on video and give the ref a decision.

Recently there are more and more matches that are decided because of the referee and it pisses me off. They should be monitoring the game, not changing it completely with bullshit decisions.

Real is imposing its game, Napoli is forced to hold back which is not not used to but we're holding up... for now

Madrid but they have been sloppy and Napoli are just waiting for Madrid to make mistakes, which they are. Modric, Kroos and Rodriguez are having to do a lot because they aren't getting much help and the attacking line are looking really static. Napoli are lacking the sharpness from their midfielders when they go on the counter, their strikers look super sharp though. Ref has been shit.

OCD Guy

Real is imposing its game, Napoli is forced to hold back which is not not used to but we're holding up... for now

Madrid but they have been sloppy and Napoli are just waiting for Madrid to make mistakes, which they are. Modric, Kroos and Rodriguez are having to do a lot because they aren't getting much help and the attacking line are looking really static. Napoli are lacking the sharpness from their midfielders when they go on the counter, their strikers look super sharp though. Ref has been shit.

3-1 now :(

edit: in both matches fuck

Ah well I did say the smug smile on Wengers face after the penalty would be wiped off...

I wonder whether Ozil just hates playing for Arsenal, or he's just suddenly completely declined as a footballer. If this was football manager his workrate stat would be 1 lol

Kill3r7

Said Arsenal could get smashed. This Arsenal team is awful.

They are not awful. Wegner is too naive to setup a team to defend. After they got the equalizer he should have played much more defensively. I know it is the wrong mentality but losing 2-1 or worse 3-1 is not the worst result because of the away goal.

I back Ty's belief that Wengy deserves a new deal, how can anyone not want more of this?

Fwiw, I thought Bayern looked pretty bad in the first half

OCD Guy

They are not awful. Wegner is too naive to setup a team to defend. After they got the equalizer he should have played much more defensively. I know it is the wrong mentality but losing 2-1 or worse 3-1 is not the worst result because of the away goal.

Wenger doesn't seem to have any tactics, that's often the problem.

But to be fair to Arsenal and Wenger, Bayern are very strong, playing defensive against them and you have the likes of Vidal and Robben taking long shots.

Now at 4-1 they either try damage control and still concede, or push for another away goal, and risk conceding.

They've been very lucky with decisions though, they're losing because of their performance. Some of their players just look like they can't be fucked.

It drives me crazy that Ozil plays every game with his fuckin form.

I back Ty's belief that Wengy deserves a new deal, how can anyone not want more of this?

Ty will somehow find a positive in all of this. "We're only 3 goals down, we're still in it as we're playing at home"

I feel sorry for Claude, Arsenal is like the only good thing in his life, legitimately as he has a few issues, and you can tell seeing this sort of shit hurts me.

Looking forward to DT and Troopz though tonight.

Bumnal are nowhere near good enough at the moment. Iwobi starting week in week out is testament to how far they've fallen. Shame as I actually have a bit of time for Arsenal when I'm not confronted with their deranged online fanbase, but Bayern and most other big european sides are miles away from them.

He should have set up to defend from the beginning. Drop Ozil and add a third man in midfield to sit alongside Xhaka and Coquelin in order to offer more protection for the defence. He also made a mistake in selecting Gibbs and Iwobi on the left, an area which Bayern targeted during the first half.

I say this team is awful because that's exactly what the majority of the team's performances have been this season. Far too often they have left gaping holes in the middle of the park, full backs have left the team open to counters on the wing, have left Alexis isolated up top or don't offer him any service resulting in him dropping extremely deep to claim the ball in order to drive it forward.

Wenger is, and has been for far far too long, too stubborn with his tactics and team selection.

OCD Guy

He should have set up to defend from the beginning. Drop Ozil and add a third man in midfield to sit alongside Xhaka and Coquelin in order to offer more protection for the defence. He also made a mistake in selecting Gibbs and Iwobi on the left, an area which Bayern targeted during the first half.

I say this team is awful because that's exactly what the majority of the team's performances have been this season. Far too often they have left gaping holes in the middle of the park, full backs have left the team open to counters on the wing, have left Alexis isolated up top or don't offer him any service resulting in him dropping extremely deep to claim the ball in order to drive it forward.

Wenger is, and has been for far far too long, too stubborn with his tactics and team selection.

His defensive tactics was playing Coquelin and Xhaka in the middle lol

Totally agree about Iwobi, I don't rate him at all, he certainly isn't a good first choice against Bayern. Where's Wellbeck?

Ultimately as you say it's down to Wenger, too set in his ways, and too loyal to certain players.

Top Bottom