• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Kill3r7

I saw a clip where the angle looked tighter but seeing a bunch of the replays yeah no chance anyone saved that.

I remember when Robben did that us at old trafford

I still remember the UCL goal from the corner in 2010, Robbery. We would have beaten Inter.

OCD Guy

Total shite.

Hopefully Wenger departs this season, we need a new manager who will be under pressure so he then puts our star players under pressure, because at the minute we are fucking pathetic.

Hopefully Ospina continues to start though, Cech has been below par all season.

Yeah Cech has a mistake in him every game now. Ospina should be first choice, and if he doesn't want him to be then you need a new goalkeeper and get rid of Cech.

This is going to be tough now as the spotlight is clearly on him, more than it ever has been probably. If you don't finish in the top 4 which could be possible as to be honest you could probably flip a coin to see who finishes top 4 this season, then he'll definitely leave.

Won't ever get sacked though, not after everything he's done, but the board will have a talk with him and he'll leave gracefully at the end of the season.

I'd like to see Simeone come in, even though he would bring a style of play that's completely different to what people are used to with Arsenal, it would great to see a drastic change, and it would make the Premier League even more exciting.

I hope Eddie Howe doesn't end up there, I cringe everytime his name is mentioned. I honestly couldn't see him bringing better results than wenger....

I would also like to see some better players brought in, really winds me up when I heard Wenger talking about the players he could have brought etc. He really needed a decent striker first off, so he could play Sanchez in his natural position, he basically panic bought Perez who barely get's a game anyway. I know you have Giroud but he seems to play really well as an impact sub. Xhaka looks like a liability, and Mustafi I think is decent to be fair.

edit: Robbie has started uploading on Arsenal fan TV, troopz is up already, genuinely angry but I don't blame him, he travels everywhere to watch Arsenal

El Topo

Again that tunnel vision.

What point is there getting to Champions League if you never come close to winning?

Do the record books highlight those managers who are consistently average?

I'm saying you have a solid manager who is incredibly consistent. A new manager is a risk, maybe one worth taking, but a risk nonetheless.

Kill3r7

I'm saying you have a solid manager who is incredibly consistent. A new manager is a risk, maybe one worth taking, but a risk nonetheless.

Agreed. Replacing Wegner is going to be a risk for them the same way replacing Fergie was for us. Not to say that they are at the same level (obviously United is expecting to win trophies) but he has been there for so long that folks forget that things can definitely be worse. No one is guaranteed success or a Top4 finish. The UCL money also cannot be discounted. I think Wegner's biggest mistake has been his reluctance to spend or trying to buy on the cheap rather than buying a superstar. Xhaka over Kante was a bit of a head scratcher this past year. Also his refusal to go out there and splash the cash on a bonafide striker has been surprising. It seems obvious to everyone who watches soccer that a proper number 9 would do them a world of good.

edit: Robbie has started uploading on Arsenal fan TV, troopz is up already, genuinely angry but I don't blame him, he travels everywhere to watch Arsenal

I always get angry with this kind of stuff. You have fans who pour their heart & soul into the club, go to every away game even on weekdays. They pay more than $200 to see their team get thrashed once again and most players don't even bother to come over and greet them. I'd be fucking furious as well.

OCD Guy

I always get angry with this kind of stuff. You have fans who pour their heart & soul into the club, go to every away game even on weekdays. They pay more than $200 to see their team get thrashed once again and most players don't even bother to come over and greet them. I'd be fucking furious as well.

Yeah and it's something that they complain about often. It's not even just when they lose either. There's certain Arsenal players that never thank the fans regardless.

It cost's the players nothing and would make a difference for the fans.

Bayern have been hot garbage all season, I was low key worried for this game. Under Pep, Bayern was easily the best team in the world for the first 60% of the season. Every single season. Then they got progressively worse during the latter second half and got bounced out by a different Spanish team in the semis every single time. This time around, they've been pretty bad by their standards pretty much the entire season (Mueller in particular is like putting me out there.. :( ).

Irony here would be if they finally turn it around now and start getting to their best and win the CL. You know the players are going to be up for it to try to get Lahm one more CL prize before he hangs the boot, that little GOAT.

Since I didn't know this place existed till now, I'd just like to say eat shit Barca for the 4-0 lmao

DBT85

Just watched Troopz and DT. Can't argue with anything they've said tbh.

I don't think you mind losing or even getting spanked if you at least showed some fight. Rolling over and dying though isn't good.

Of course as a United fan, sign the new contract pls!

miserable

I still remember the UCL goal from the corner in 2010, Robbery. We would have beaten Inter.

lel1.gif

Elchele

Bayern have been hot garbage all season, I was low key worried for this game. Under Pep, Bayern was easily the best team in the world for the first 60% of the season. Every single season. Then they got progressively worse during the latter second half and got bounced out by a different Spanish team in the semis every single time. This time around, they've been pretty bad by their standards pretty much the entire season (Mueller in particular is like putting me out there.. :( ).

Irony here would be if they finally turn it around now and start getting to their best and win the CL. You know the players are going to be up for it to try to get Lahm one more CL prize before he hangs the boot, that little GOAT.

Since I didn't know this place existed till now, I'd just like to say eat shit Barca for the 4-0 lmao

welcome m8.
#fuckPep

Godan

Ornstein :Arsene Wenger's future will be decided at end of season. New deal offered earlier still on table but will be mutual decision in summer.

As much as I think we need the manager to change. Something really needs to change at the board level as well. I just don't even know anymore. Its the same thing year after year.

As much as I think we need the manager to change. Something really needs to change at the board level as well. I just don't even know anymore. Its the same thing year after year.
Kroenke is perfectly happy with Wenger because he guarantees his pockets getting deeper. He has no interest in the club actually winning anything.

Syder

Kroenke is perfectly happy with Wenger because he guarantees his pockets getting deeper. He has no interest in the club actually winning anything.
They have enormous turnover year after year with minimal spending. They have ridiculous waiting lists and the highest season ticket price in the league. It won't matter if the season ticket holders all walk out because their seats will be filled with those on the waiting list and tourists.

What
good
manager is going to want to come to a club like this?

DBT85

They have enormous turnover year after year with minimal spending. They have ridiculous waiting lists and the highest season ticket price in the league. It won't matter if the season ticket holders all walk out because their seats will be filled with those on the waiting list and tourists.

What
good

I still don't know if its Wenger refusing to spend the money or the board not letting him.

Like, everyone was surprised when you got Sanchez and Ozil. They weren't 12, French or 99p.

If a new manager were given the opportunity to actually spend some money and it was a manager with not only a Plan A but also, gasp, a Plan B, you'd do so well, everything is set up to do it.

As it is as I've said before, the longer the stays the better from my perspective.

Beefy

What
good

I remember Usmanov saying all this years ago. He want to increase his stake and pump money in, but was stopped by the board. Who then sold more shares to Kroenke.

Jerm411

I cannot believe that offer is still on the table....objectively speaking, AW had done zero to even warrant another extension.

That's exactly what's wrong with Arsenal...the club are so afraid of Arsene and afraid of change that they're willing to let him dictate the future of the club. Garbage. They're only doing it because they're spineless and don't want to actually be forced into a decision.

It's time for clarity for fuck's sake...Arsene needs to let it be known what he's doing. The league is lost, the CL is gone...only thing to play for is the FA Cup and I can't imagine that's actually going to sway his decision one way or another.

Jarnet87

Don't doubt Carlito.

Don't doubt Carlito.
I gave Pep a chance and the dude failed to make a single finals appearance in 3 years after getting a peaked Bayern squad that all set and ready for succession. On top of that, he managed to lose the Scumdrid in the worst loss of my lifetime, and the worst part it's to the biggest rivals. I'm more wary this time around.

As I said, I've been hoping all season that the team peaks in the opposite direction as it did the last 3 seasons.

OCD Guy

I cannot believe that offer is still on the table....objectively speaking, AW had done zero to even warrant another extension.

That's exactly what's wrong with Arsenal...the club are so afraid of Arsene and afraid of change that they're willing to let him dictate the future of the club. Garbage. They're only doing it because they're spineless and don't want to actually be forced into a decision.

It's time for clarity for fuck's sake...Arsene needs to let it be known what he's doing. The league is lost, the CL is gone...only thing to play for is the FA Cup and I can't imagine that's actually going to sway his decision one way or another.

The issue ultimately is the boards objectives. Wenger is performing brilliantly in terms of what the board want. He brings in Champions League revenue by getting into the top 4 pretty much every season, and he's never been a flashy spender. The board have absolutely no reason to get rid of him.

Other boards would get rid of Wenger because they are willing to splash the cash to buy success, and if the manager is incapable he's gone. But this board are happy with making money by selling the best players and buying rejects from other clubs as long as it brings in money.

That's the real worry here, but I think Wenger himself will know that his time has come because there is a massive spotlight on him now, with even people that really respect him saying they feel he should leave

Forgetting balancing the books, and all that other bollocks, Wenger as a manager is not that good anymore. Tactically he seems to have nothing, the players clearly aren't that motivated, and he hasn't really made a good signing in some time either.

I can't see Wenger wanting to tolerate the heat he's going to be facing now. This isn't new ground for Arsenal, or Wenger, but I think it's now at a stage where people have given enough chances and cant deal with it anymore.

Oh and I'm so glad Ozil finally has the spotlight on him too, he's been flying under the radar for some time. The last good thing he did was against ludogrets. The players at Arsenal need a culture shock, a manager that won't take any shit and bench players that don't deserve to be the first name on the team sheet because of who they are.

Jerm411

Forgetting balancing the books, and all that other bollocks, Wenger as a manager is not that good anymore. Tactically he seems to have nothing, the players clearly aren't that motivated, and he hasn't really made a good signing in some time either.

Sadly the game has passed him by both on and off the pitch...

OCD Guy

Sadly the game has passed him by both on and off the pitch...

Exactly.

The only irony I can see if Arsenal get a new manager is that people will complain if they don't finish in the top 4 and have a season with no champions league. Because it is possible as the manager takes time to settle, and also because the reality is that there are going to be 6 good teams fighting for 4 places. Next season is going to be something with the likes of both Manchester teams offering a real threat. They have boards willing to just buy success. Although they're a threat this season to be fair, but next season is going to be eye opening.

I can already see the Arsenal Fan TV rants complaining about their new manager.

I just hope the board allow a new manager time, obviously they have no real record of hiring and firing managers, and more importantly some real money to get some players in.

Ozil needs to go though, and in the summer. He doesn't deserve a new contract, and they don't want him going on a free either.

Syder

Exactly.

The only irony I can see if Arsenal get a new manager is that people will complain if they don't finish in the top 4 and have a season with no champions league. Because it is possible as the manager takes time to settle, and also because the reality is that there are going to be 6 good teams fighting for 4 places. Next season is going to be something with the likes of both Manchester teams offering a real threat. They have boards willing to just buy success.

December 2017.

"DA MANAJA AZ GOT TAH GO, FAM! WHY DA FUK DID WE GET RID OF VENGA, BLUD? I'VE BEEN SAYIN' IT FOR YEARS, BLUD, VENGA SHOULD STAY!"

OCD Guy

December 2017.

"DA MANAJA AZ GOT TAH GO, FAM! WHY DA FUK DID WE GET RID OF VENGA, BLUD? I'VE BEEN SAYIN' IT FOR YEARS, BLUD, VENGA SHOULD STAY!"

Be careful what you wish for and all that lol

Some of the fans are schizophrenic though, they win a match and it's Steve Bould working wonders, they lose a match and it's Wengers fault, even though he was on a touchline ban for both the games....

Syder

The funniest thing to me is that someone has told one of these Oil-igarchs that Mark Clattenburg would be a draw for their league.
TadkV.gif

NHale

What
good

Allegri looked quite open to that idea. I'm sure Leonardo Jardim would jump in as fast as he could, he looks like the perfect Arsene Wenger replacement in some sense. He's used to work with reducing budgets after the Rybolovlev money stopped being laundered in Monaco, he mantains a relatively low profile (despite the alleged affair with the Olympiakos chairman's wife while managing Olympiakos!), plus he has the knack of taking chances on young players and developing them into the first team with success.

Not sure Simeone is going to accept a job like that. Also I don't think he plays the type of football that would please the fans / team would require an extreme makeover to fit Simeone style, something Kroenke might not want to do.

The difference is that someone like Simeone would be given more time by the fans unlike some "unknown" manager like Leonardo Jardim. I'm sure most fans would not scream about sacking Simeone even if he finished the 1st season in 6th. But with someone else, the screams would be heard in December if they are not in contention for the top 4 at least.

It kind of reminds me of the SAF replacement in some ways (the winning titles part aside) because both spent so many years in the same club that the 1st guy after them always feel like someone to be burned in less than 12 months. It will take time to adjust to a new reality, and even if Wenger wasn't winning PL titles for quite a while, the top 4 and Champions League is something taken for granted now but might not happen with a new manager. So it's always a big risk for anyone taking that job imho.

OCD Guy

Not sure Simeone is going to accept a job like that. Also I don't think he plays the type of football that would please the fans / team would require an extreme makeover to fit Simeone style, something Kroenke might not want to do.

I think as long as the profits are there Kroenke doesn't give a shit what type of football they play.

But Simeone might not be the best fit, unless he can knock some sense into players. I'm sure some of the Arsenal squad would be willing to put the work in, Atletico were relatively unknown before Simeone came in and made some of their players household names.

He could just get rid of the players that aren't willing to put the work in.

Honestly I could see Eddie Howe coming in, he looks like the ideal yes man the board want.

Syder

Arsenal were essentially one £40m+ player, and with their turnover that is a drop in the ocean, away from winning the league last year. If I was an Arsenal fan I'd be as irate at these ArsenalFanTV mugs.

Arsenal were essentially one £40m+ player, and with their turnover that is a drop in the ocean, away from winning the league last year. If I was an Arsenal fan I'd be as irate at these ArsenalFanTV mugs.
The problem with transfers is that the club never goes far enough. Whilst high quality players may have been brought in in recent seasons, youngsters and promising talent have failed to live up to their potential and the club always suffers from an injury crisis, creating a never ending cycle where Arsenal are always '1 or 2 players away from winning the league'.

NHale

"We could have gotten Kante but we got Xhaka instead!". That statement from Wenger was just throwing gasoline to a fire.

OCD Guy

I'm sure they just tease transfers to "please" the fans. They go in for players they know they're never going to buy.

They spent how much on players this year? Have any of them improved the team? They could have just bought one real world class player.

I bet Vardy is regretting turning Arsenal down now though lol, although Arsenal got away with one, he really was a one season wonder....

Syder

The problem with transfers is that the club never goes far enough. Whilst high quality players may have been brought in in recent seasons, youngsters and promising talent have failed to live up to their potential and the club always suffers from an injury crisis, creating a never ending cycle where Arsenal are always '1 or 2 players away from winning the league'.
Özil, Sánchez, Čech, Mustafi were great signings but they should be made in the same window not across 4 years. The fact that Arsenal made no outfield signings the Summer they got Čech is just mind-blowing. Look at United, they signed 3 first team players, Mkhitaryan, Pogba, Ibrahimović, in the same window.

DBT85

I'd actually be quite surprised to see that. While the regulars on there do like a bit of drama, nothing they say seems out of whack and it's largely in line with what everyone else already thinks. A team with little fight, no backbone and a manager who only has one tactic and won't spend money. When it's good it's great, when it's bad it's shocking.

The fans want to win things, and pay a lot of money toward that end, but the owners and the manager are quite happy making up the numbers.

sora87

Bet wenger wishes he bid more than an extra quid for Suarez now

OCD Guy

I'd actually be quite surprised to see that. While the regulator on the do like a bit of drama, nothing they say seems out of whack and it's largely in line with what everyone else already thinks. A team with little fight, no backbone and a manager who only has one tactic and won't spend money. When it's good it's great, when it's bad it's shocking.

The only reason I say that is because I believe some of them think a new manager will result in better performance, and I can't see it. Not straight away.

One because top 4 is not going to be a cert for any of the top 6 teams now.

Two because the arsenal squad just isn't good enough to challenge the real top teams. It wasn't long ago that certain people were hyping up Iwobi, who is nothing more than a young guy that had a few good games. What on earth is he doing playing against Bayern? It isn't fair on him.

Any new manager will need time to rebuild the squad, and with the way the board like to spend money he'll need god knows how many seasons.

When the reality hits and Arsenal don't even get champions league football I guarantee some of the AFTV regulars will be complaining and assuming that another manager would have gotten them champions league, their logic will be if Wenger (someone they think is shit) got them it, someone better should be able to achieve the same.

I'm calling it now, Arsenal will be associated with a few different managers, whoever gets the job will be criticised if they don't get top 4 and they'll be saying "Blud we should have gone for X manager, I told you fam, this mans worse than Wenger"

Before they signed Mustafi, they were all like just pay the money, we need Mustafi. Now look at them , they're slagging him off now lol.

Top Bottom