• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Arsene really needs to leave. Sure, getting someone new won't guarantee success but we all know that honestly, we need to move on.

Also anyone saying it's not a pen. What? Kos was clearly kicked in the leg.

OCD Guy

Also anyone saying it's not a pen. What? Kos was clearly kicked in the leg.

Yes there was contact from Lewandowski but he wasn't trying to stop anyone from playing a ball, or shooting. He didn't even see Koscielny who came from the side and almost ran into his leg. Lewandowski was trying to clear the ball as it dropped down.

It was a 50/50 decision, some refs wouldn't have given that, and let's be honest Arsenal have been fortunate with the decisions tonight.

Anyway 5-1 now, Bayern showing that Squad depth lol

Kill3r7

That pretty much wraps it up. Bayern played really well today. Best game of the season for them. They have absolutely dominated this second half.

OCD Guy

If Arsenal finish out of the Top 4 Wenger will resign...

Well, how are the other English clubs doing? Arsenal has been incredibly consistent.

Just shows the Premier league isn't as good as some people think it is. The only thing it has going for it is the unpredictability.

But with the managers, and the sort of talent coming in recently (and in the summer) I can finally see the Premier league really being the best in the world, and eventually a domination in Europe.

It's all well and good taking the piss out of other leagues and teams saying there's no competition, like work colleagues say Ligue 1 is shit, yet Tottenham and Arsenal didn't show up any French teams, and Man City aren't going to walk over Monaco like some people think either.

Jerm411

Well, how are the other English clubs doing? Arsenal has been incredibly consistent.

Incredibly consistent at being mediocre....the game has passed Wenger by, both on and off the pitch. I love the guy for what he's done for the club but enough is enough....

The money those fans spend to see them and they get less than nothing back. 2 fa cups in however many years is simply not good enough, the constant abject and poor performances… it's like clockwork.

What's the point in buying someone like Cech and benching him today? Wengy is done, he should've quit years ago and is just destroying his legacy now, not that I care really but I'm sure someone does

OCD Guy

Blood fam will be at his absolute worst tonight

"What the fuck was that blud, fam I'm serious Wenger out"

It does actually feel like it might be the end of the road for Wenger. Out of respect the board won't sack him though, but I'm sure there will be discussions, and he'll leave on his terms.

If they don't get top 4 I think it's a cert that he'll resign.

It's like Wenger has nothing up his sleeve, and his persistence with certain players is not helping. Seriously Ozil again showing he hasn't changed. If he's unhappy at Arsenal this isn't going to help, he should be playing out of his skin so he get's a nice move. No one will want him on his current performances.

Dt and Troopz are defo there, watched their pre-match videos.

tumblr_m934hfztvH1r1ang0o1_400.gif

Jerm411

The worst part of that shambolic performance is that even at 5-1 it could've been even fucking worse if not for Ospina and missing Gibbs' handball....fuck me....

Rush_Khan

What's the point in buying someone like Cech and benching him today? Wengy is done, he should've quit years ago and is just destroying his legacy now, not that I care really but I'm sure someone does
What are you on about? Ospina made 6 world class saves in this match.

Jarnet87

Feels like this will be the end of Wenger but I'm sure it's felt that way before, maybe it's finally come even with a top 4 finish. Just like I never take them serious as a title contender, I will always bet on him to make the top 4 though. A collapse to the point where he misses top 4 benefits United so I am all for it.

LeleSocho

Banned
Phew... the final score is fair, Napoli showed its usual weaknesses (freaking Reina) and Real showed its superiority. Despite what people said Real's defence worked well tonight. Puzzling the choice of removing Hamsik for Milik, since Hamsik got out Napoli stopped playing.
In the end it was almost a net positive for me as we did the first goal (almost lost my voice there).

Worst:
Reina/Koulibaly for Napoli
Marcelo for Real

Best:
Diawara/Insigne for Napoli
Modric for Real

P.S. Referee still bad, first half mostly against Napoli and second half mostly against Real.

------

Aaaaaah if only Mertens managed to put that ball in...

OCD Guy

What's the point in buying someone like Cech and benching him today?

The thing is Cech looks like he's done. Was without a doubt world class, but he's definitely declining.

Makes no sense rotating a keeper in a Champions league match against Bayern though, he might as well play Ospina in the premier league too.

Kill3r7

The money those fans spend to see them and they get less than nothing back. 2 fa cups in however many years is simply not good enough, the constant abject and poor performances... it's like clockwork.

What are you on about? Ospina made 6 world class saves in this match.

This is not on Ospina. When you DM wins zero tackles and plays like shit they were lucky to walk out of there 5-1. The game could have easily been a lot worse.

The thing is Cech looks like he's done. Was without a doubt world class, but he's definitely declining.

Makes no sense rotating a keeper in a Champions league match against Bayern though, he might as well play Ospina in the premier league too.

There is also the second point but having watched him for 10+ years I wouldn't write him off

OCD Guy

This is not on Ospina. When you DM wins zero tackles and plays like shit they were lucky to walk out of there 5-1. The game could have easily be a lot worse.

Yeah Ospina is not why they lost, Cech wouldn't have made the scorline any different.

It boils down to wrong team selection, and no real tactics. Wenger never has a plan B. He won't change though, and that's his issue. He just doesn't and hasn't changed in nearly 20 years.

There is also the second point but having watched him for 10+ years I wouldn't write him off

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying he's shit, and Buffon has proved that you can still be effective when you're older. But Cech has definitely declined, and Arsenal's fundamental problem isn't any of the keepers they have. They would have still lost with Neuer in goal.

Rush_Khan

Could Cech not have made those saves? Would he not possibly have organised their defence better? Guy is a leader, something Arsenal clearly lack on the pitch
Surely Bayern would've smacked them in the first half as well if this is Ospina's fault. Truth is they were defending quite well near the end of the first half and beginning of second. As soon as Koscielny came off, that was it. Cech would have also been powerless to stop most of those goals.

I mean, the fourth goal was an absolute joke in terms of defending, they had at least four chances to clear it, then goes in off a deflection.

It's like Wenger has nothing up his sleeve, and his persistence with certain players is not helping. Seriously Ozil again showing he hasn't changed. If he's unhappy at Arsenal this isn't going to help, he should be playing out of his skin so he get's a nice move. No one will want him on his current performances.
He's perfectly happy at Arsenal as Wenger gives him a free ride. He won't drop him and just allows him to do whatever he wants.

OCD Guy

He's perfectly happy at Arsenal as Wenger gives him a free ride. He won't drop him and just allows him to do whatever he wants.

Yeah he's Wengers pet, and no fear of being dropped. But he's just playing like he doesn't want to be there though.

If this was someone like Pep he'd be out, same with Mourinho.

The fans don't want to see a player like that though, he has zero workrate, which is fine when the rest of the team are extremely strong and can carry a player like that, or if the player is assisting or scoring, but his stats are terrible this season.

Lol Poor Ox, at least he cares though.

Yeah he's Wengers pet, and no fear of being dropped. But he's just playing like he doesn't want to be there though.

If this was someone like Pep he'd be out, same with Mourinho.

The fans don't want to see a player like that though, he has zero workrate, which is fine when the rest of the team are extremely strong and can carry a player like that.
My argument about Ozil has always been that he is a luxury player. He relies on having extremely good players behind him that make up for his lack of contribution to the defensive side of the game.

Arsenal don't have that. They haven't had that in years. Therefore Ozil sticks out like a sore thumb in this Arsenal team. They aren't set up tactically to benefit from Ozil playing, and they don't have the calibre of player to allow him to focus on the attacking side of things.

Fabregas made a point during an interview recently that skilful players are no longer as valued as those who offer greater physical attributes, and he is right. Most managers now ask far more from their players than simply contributing to one area of the pitch. Ozil doesn't contribute enough to warrant being a part of this Arsenal team, they just aren't built for a player like him.

OCD Guy

My argument about Ozil has always been that he is a luxury player. He relies on having extremely good players behind him that make up for his lack of contribution to the defensive side of the game.

Arsenal don't have that. They haven't had that in years. Therefore Ozil sticks out like a sore thumb in this Arsenal team. They aren't set up tactically to benefit from Ozil playing, and they don't have the calibre of player to allow him to focus on the attacking side of things.

Fabregas made a point during an interview recently that skilful players are no longer as valued as those who offer greater physical attributes, and he is right. Most managers now ask far more from their players than simply contributing to one area of the pitch. Ozil doesn't contribute enough to warrant being a part of this Arsenal team, they just aren't built for a player like him.

Totally agree. There's no doubt that he has talent, he's shown that many times, intelligent, good decision making, excellent passing etc but he's not working and so should be dropped.

Look at Pep, he felt certain players didn't fit in his system and he gets rid of them regardless of who they are. That's the key difference, and one of the issues with Wenger in my opinion. If a player isn't working, drop them.

Look at Aguero, Pep not happy with his workrate and he is dropped. Can you imagine Wenger benching him for Jesus? No chance at all.

I feel he should have played Ox where Ozil plays, and also played Wellbeck instead of Iwobi.

Already seen a positive on tonights result on another forum "We can concentrate on the league now, and maybe win the title if Chelsea drop a few points"

tim.mbp

Phew... the final score is fair, Napoli showed its usual weaknesses (freaking Reina) and Real showed its superiority. Despite what people said Real's defence worked well tonight. Puzzling the choice of removing Hamsik for Milik, since Hamsik got out Napoli stopped playing.
In the end it was almost a net positive for me as we did the first goal (almost lost my voice there).

Worst:
Reina/Koulibaly for Napoli
Marcelo for Real

Best:
Diawara/Insigne for Napoli
Modric for Real

P.S. Referee still bad, first half mostly against Napoli and second half mostly against Real.

------

Aaaaaah if only Mertens managed to put that ball in...

Diawara is so good.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Total shite.

Hopefully Wenger departs this season, we need a new manager who will be under pressure so he then puts our star players under pressure, because at the minute we are fucking pathetic.

Hopefully Ospina continues to start though, Cech has been below par all season.

Top Bottom