• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Why going for a short corner when you obviously lack quality in the team and didn't manage to bring the ball in the box before the corner?

Meanwhile Sevilla punished them for it.

Mory Dunz

Nzonzi just demonstrated the difference between these two teams right there. Just not enough technical skill from Leicester

edit:
Okay, that goal demonstrates it too, dang!

Nzonzi just demonstrated the difference between these two teams right there. Just not enough technical skill from Leicester

edit:
Okay, that goal demonstrates it too, dang!

Technical ability in the Prem is almost a dirt word, there are really only two teams at the moment that are trying to apply technical ability throughout their game and both still have a long way to go, one is prioritising defensive structure and the other is abandoning defensive rigidity to get there.

You see more technical skill in a single Celta de Vigo vs Sporting Gijón game than you see in the majority of premier league games in a weekend.

Tosyn_88

Considering all the rumours about Rooney's departure and the potential high fee of his supposed replacement Griezman, wouldn't it make sense to actually go sign Dele Alli instead. I don't know of any English player in that squad aside Smalling and Rashford that's a guaranteed starter. While griezman is great, I think Alli can provide the same or close level of output, maybe it's just me

DBT85

Considering all the rumours about Rooney's departure and the potential high fee of his supposed replacement Griezman, wouldn't it make sense to actually go sign Dele Alli instead. I don't know of any English player in that squad aside Smalling and Rashford that's a guaranteed starter. While griezman is great, I think Alli can provide the same or close level of output, maybe it's just me

To my knowledge Griezman has a buyout clause while Dele doesn't, and getting him or Kane out from under Levy's nose, especially now that Spurs are finally putting things together, would be very difficult I think.

Tosyn_88

To my knowledge Griezman has a buyout clause while Dele doesn't, and getting him or Kane out from under Levy's nose, especially now that Spurs are finally putting things together, would be very difficult I think.

Isn't the rumoured price tag high already though? If I remember correctly, the price range is around the 100 million region which is where I would assume Levy would be demanding

AndyVirus

Where would Alli even be played? He's not a left winger and there's already enough people being put out there who would rather be in a different role.

DBT85

Isn't the rumoured price tag high already though? If I remember correctly, the price range is around the 100 million region which is where I would assume Levy would be demanding

I think I read that it's about 100m euros, so £85m.

Levy is a stubborn git and they have no need to sell, so he could evne reject that.

While Alli is at least tested in the PL, if you look at goals scored which is what we need, hes got 23 in 75 games for Spurs (all comps) and 2 in 15 for England. Griezman has scored 74 in 141 for Athletico where all european games were UCL,and 14 in 39 for France.

He's also reportedly a United fan and has said he wants to play with Pogba.

I'd like to see Alli at the team, but I can't see him being a 9.

Syder

United will over-invest in their forward line to to sate the thirst for a big signing and completely neglect their defence.

DBT85

United will over-invest in their forward line to to sate the thirst for a big signing and completely neglect their defence.

The problem is who do you get. City spent how much on 3 defenders and still basically stil need Kompany.

We've not been conceding goals and not entirely because of DeGea this season, unlike the last 3 years. We do however have to deal with Carrick, Schweini, and Rooney possibly all going at the end of the year and Zlatan being 36 next season.

The fortunate thing is that the club has money to burn.

Tosyn_88

I think I read that it's about 100m euros, so £85m.

Levy is a stubborn git and they have no need to sell, so he could evne reject that.

While Alli is at least tested in the PL, if you look at goals scored which is what we need, hes got 23 in 75 games for Spurs (all comps) and 2 in 15 for England. Griezman has scored 74 in 141 for Athletico where all european games were UCL,and 14 in 39 for France.

He's also reportedly a United fan and has said he wants to play with Pogba.

I'd like to see Alli at the team, but I can't see him being a 9.

Oooh I know Spurs are a difficult team to buy from which is why I said instead of spending all that money on a foreign player, why not buy the top domestic talent. If Dele Alli can be convinced via his agent, the deal can definitely happen regardless of what Levy wants to do Greizman is great but he doesn't strike me as a Jose Mourinho type player, Dele Alli does. With regards to where he would play, I think he can play behind the main striker Zlatan

Tosyn_88

To get Alli out of Spurs for £85m, Alli would have to do a Payet I think. Short of that, it would be £100m+

At this point, what is the point in paying otherwise. There is a reason why it is considered one of the super clubs isn't it. Why wait because of some few extra when you can easily just pay. It reminds me of Bale when the club didn't want to pay top money, then Bale gets sold to Madrid only for the club to make a last ditch attempt to pay way more than Spurs agreed with Madrid. It is Spurs, of course they would ask for ridiculous sums, we know the player isn't worth that amount but there is the English tax and the guy is actually very good. I just don't want another trend of selling the best players to Spain again, it has been detrimental to the EPL in my opinion. The league is getting top money so why should the top players be sold to Spain, keep them within the league I say and especially an England international. We have seen Jose Mourinho sign Ashley Cole from Arsenal by being dirty, in my opinion, if I were him, I would do the same with Alli and pay 150 million if they ask for it

Also with regards to other areas within that squad, I believe there were news of several targets being from Monaco I think, which I would think can solve the problem with the middle (Carrick)

The problem is who do you get. City spent how much on 3 defenders and still basically still need Kompany.

He wouldn't work under the new system, he didn't work under Pelligrini either plus he has the muscle problem. Kompany far too easily gets pulled out of position leaving holes for forwards to run into, Demichelis use to get a lot of blame for the mistakes Kompany use to make.

I think Txiki thought replacing Demichelis with somebody young & strong and Kompany with somebody similar, if we were still playing defensive focused football like under Mancini then that would have been great but City play a totally different type of football and those kind of defenders are a bit of a liability and has been very costly. We need those that have a higher positional awareness and know how to play out. Miranda, Bonucci, Chiellini, Godín, Hernandez would all be excellent as they play in systems that start at the back and play against strikers looking to get behind on long balls. It is easy to identify but the hard part is getting players like that.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Rooney says he's staying.

everyone at Utd right now

Zcy9Xrc.gif

Jarnet87

Rooney leaving right now makes no sense, January would have been the time. I still see him getting involved with the amount of fixtures remaining

Kill3r7

Confirmed already by multiple sources. Expected.

They were a team that was in the relegation zone two years ago. They won the league last year and are now battling to stay up while still alive in CL. Crazy to let go of Ranieri and expect a new manager to come in and hit the ground running to save their PL campaign and CL.

jtb

Banned
Stupid, stupid, stupid. They had a chance to build something long-term. Will never get that opportunity again.

Struggling domestically always happens when a team unexpectedly gets into Europe and doesn't properly reinforce their squad. Newcastle, Liverpool, etc. If Ranieri's lost the dressing room, then that means you need to overhaul the squad, not the manager.

Jarnet87

on one hand I think Ranieri should get a free pass this season. hopefully survive the drop and start the summer by selling Vardy, Mahrez and work to become a mid table side after the hangover year from winning the title. On the other hand Leicester City have been dreadful the moment the season started outside of performing in a weak UCL group where certain players can showcase themselves before a move.

Top Bottom