• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Syder

Saturday 25th February 2017
Chelsea v Swansea City
Crystal Palace v Middlesbrough
Everton v Sunderland
Hull City v Burnley
Southampton P-P Arsenal
West Bromwich Albion v Bournemouth
Watford v West Ham United 17:30

Sunday 26th February 2017
Tottenham Hotspur v Stoke City 13:30
Manchester City P-P Manchester United
Man United v Southampton 16:30

Monday 27th February 2017
Leicester City v Liverpool 20:00

Can you imagine if everyone in the bottom 3 won this weekend?

Audioboxer

Saturday 25th February 2017
Chelsea v Swansea City
Crystal Palace v Middlesbrough
Everton v Sunderland
Hull City v Burnley
Southampton P-P Arsenal
West Bromwich Albion v Bournemouth
Watford v West Ham United 17:30

Sunday 26th February 2017
Tottenham Hotspur v Stoke City 13:30
Manchester City P-P Manchester United
Man United v Southampton 16:30

Monday 27th February 2017
Leicester City v Liverpool 20:00

Can you imagine if everyone in the bottom 3 won this weekend?

The Leicester board pretty much made it the case that every neutral (or non-Leicester fan) will be rooting for all of them (bottom 3) to win.

Ironically killing the general feel good factor of last year when every neutral wanted them to win the league. I don't think up until today anyone wanted Leceister to get relegated. Now the club is drenched in misery and getting egged by neutrals to fail miserably. Shit wasn't working, but there was still time to turn the ship around and as I said all the neutrals would have been spreading hope for Leceister to stay up.

The Leicester board pretty much made it the case that every neutral (or non-Leicester fan) will be rooting for all of them (bottom 3) to win.

Ironically killing the general feel good factor of last year when every neutral wanted them to win the league. I don't think up until today anyone wanted Leceister to get relegated. Now the club is drenched in misery and getting egged by neutrals to fail miserably. Shit wasn't working, but there was still time to turn the ship around and as I said all the neutrals would have been spreading hope for Leceister to stay up.

Reckon the chanting for the Monday game will be pretty incredible. Both supporters will want in on the action.

Until Leicester fans start with 'We've won the league and you never will' and I start crying.

Audioboxer

Reckon the chanting for the Monday game will be pretty incredible. Both supporters will want in on the action.

Until Leicester fans start with 'We've won the league and you never will' and I start crying.

Liverpool should destroy them in the form they are in anyway. Mondays game would probably just have to be written off.

Still, I think there would have been more hope for Monday with Raineri than there is now. There may be rumours about some players not playing for the club, well, there's going to be some fans now not playing for the club either :/

EmiPrime

It's an absolute atmosphere vacuum. I've been to around 20 England games at the new Wembley and it's just not conducive to a good atmosphere; from the stupid aisles for queuing and the equally stupid prices to the insistence on playing chart music over the PA when crowds should be singing their own chants. The only good atmosphere I've experienced there was when we sold out our allocation at the 2012 play-off final and even then we had to suffer through the indignity of watching our team lift the trophy to Paradise by Coldplay. Just fuck off, you don't understand football.

Oh Christ yeah. And it's always so loud you can't even hear yourself think. They overdo it with the PA at Arsenal too but at Wembley it's way louder and more inappropriate.

DBT85

Occurred to me last night (becuase I'd forgot about the rule change) that the best reason for United to win the Europa is getting in to the big boy pot for next years UCL rather than having to deal with how shit our coefficient is. We've got to wait a couple more years to wipe the shitehouse that is our 2.714 score from 14/15 off our table.

Liverpool should destroy them in the form they are in anyway. Mondays game would probably just have to be written off.

Remember the Robin Hood effect. Expect nothing.

On top of that teams often do well in the first couple of games after a manager gets sacked.

And despite the Spurs match, we've been fucking dreadful all year

We easily have it in us to get beaten on Monday with Leicester putting in the most rudimentary defensive performance

Could do with Coutinho hitting some form again, he hasn't looked right since coming back. Bit annoying that Mane's return couldn't dovetail with some quality Coutinho performances, but we've got one of them at least

T-Rex.

Banned
If it's true that the players turned on Ranieri then I'm sure the twats will be right up for it on Monday. We haven't played in a few weeks either so I wouldn't be too surprised if we end up dropping points.

And despite the Spurs match, we've been fucking dreadful all year

We easily have it in us to get beaten on Monday with Leicester putting in the most rudimentary defensive performance

Could do with Coutinho hitting some form again, he hasn't looked right since coming back. Bit annoying that Mane's return couldn't dovetail with some quality Coutinho performances, but we've got one of them at least

If it's true that the players turned on Ranieri then I'm sure the twats will be right up for it on Monday. We haven't played in a few weeks either so I wouldn't be too surprised if we end up dropping points.

I'm scared too guys. If we want to achieve anything of what we want we need a streak over the weaker opposition that are making up this final stretch of the season. If Mane can keep up the intensity and people stay injury free, we have a shot. And if any of the Brazilians can hit their form where they score bangers then we might be in business.

DBT85

The other side is, you can't even predict how they'll play. At least with Claudio in charge Kloppo could watch the teams games in the last few weeks and work on a plan.

Who knows what they'll resort to now.

Audioboxer

Occurred to me last night (becuase I'd forgot about the rule change) that the best reason for United to win the Europa is getting in to the big boy pot for next years UCL rather than having to deal with how shit our coefficient is. We've got to wait a couple more years to wipe the shitehouse that is our 2.714 score from 14/15 off our table.

Remember the Robin Hood effect. Expect nothing.

On top of that teams often do well in the first couple of games after a manager gets sacked.

True. The players will be a right bunch of hacks if they instantly start playing. Incoming Vardy hattrick?

DBT85

I've only just realised that Emmanuel Petit's surname is wholly inappropriate.

He's on with Andy Townsend and he genuinely looks like he's been photoshopped in and enlarged 10%. There's only 2 inches between them according to wiki.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
These American commentators are awful

"C'mon kid, smile!!"

EDIT: Koman waits a year for a goal, and then gets two in 5 minutes

Syder

The highest we, and teams immediately below us, can hope for now is 9th. West Brom have had a commendable season and can't be caught now. I'm looking forward to actually having a proper pre-season not bogged down with a pointless Europa League qualification run.

Beefy

The highest we, and teams immediately below us, can hope for now is 9th. West Brom have had a commendable season and can't be caught now. I'm looking forward to actually having a proper pre-season not bogged down with a pointless Europa League qualification run.

Saints pre season is going to be mad. Could be a change of owner and that brings a lot of change. We have had 2 bids from chinese and 1 from US.

DBT85

This pic that Sky have used. Did they have nothing else?

YevmZXH6Se6tlexVqwhr_skysports-zlatan-ibrahimovic-manolo-gabbiadini-manchester-united-southampton_3896505.jpg

Pachimari

Atletico better take points from Barca and draw on their turf. Barcelona have all of their three stars in the starting lineup but also a defense consisting of Matheui, Umtiti, Pique and Sergio.

Audioboxer

Tottenham warning Arsenal they're going for that top 4 spot!

Am I correct in saying if Man Utd finish 5th, but win the Europa League, they take 4th spots CL place away? Or is winning the Europa League a CL spot in ADDITION to the top 4 spots? If it takes away 4ths spot, then I do hope Man Utd finish 5/6th and Arsenal 4th, just for Arsenal TV rage :p

PowerTaxi

Banned

Am I correct in saying if Man Utd finish 5th, but win the Europa League, they take 4th spots CL place away? Or is winning the Europa League a CL spot in ADDITION to the top 4 spots? If it takes away 4ths spot, then I do hope Man Utd finish 5/6th and Arsenal 4th, just for Arsenal TV rage :p

English teams would need to win both the CL and EL, I believe

Audioboxer

English teams would need to win both the CL and EL, I believe

But isn't the point if it is 4 spots, and 1 of those spots get taken by an English team winning the EL, then the league drops down to 3 spots?

That's what I'm trying to figure out. One of my mates said it could end like that.

Also United lineup for today, pretty strong!

C5mcCU3XQAANZUX.jpg:small

Rooney wept. Although I'm more sad for Basti.

PowerTaxi

Banned
But isn't the point if it is 4 spots, and 1 of those spots get taken by an English team winning the EL, then the league drops down to 3 spots?

That's what I'm trying to figure out. One of my mates said it could end like that.

I just looked up last years La Liga table. The top 4 plus Sevilla qualified for the CL so that would imply a maximum of 5?

Audioboxer

I just looked up last years La Liga table. The top 4 plus Sevilla qualified for the CL so that would imply a maximum of 5?

That sounds more likely to be honest.

I'll only get to see the first half of this cup game and then I'll be off to work. Hope Zlatan has a hattrick by half time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Knowing my luck it will be 0-0 and everything will go down in the 2nd half.

DBT85

You can have up to 5 teams in the CL now, 4 automatic for Spain, England and Germany +1 for the Europa winner.

You go in at the minimum of the playoff level (I got confused the other day and thought it was auto group stage and the top pot, that's reserved for the 7 top league winners plus UCL winner).

If United won the Euro and City/Arse/Leicester won the UCL, and both winners finished out of the top 4, whoever gets 4th would only get Europa League next year.

If City/Arse win the UCL and United with the Euro, and both are in the top 4, then United get bumped straight to the group stage. I think.

EDIT: oh now I read on sky that winning Euro is guaranteed group. I don;t know anymore lol.

Top Bottom