• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Syder

Champions League draw leaked

Barça vs Denver Broncos
Anthony Joshua vs Juventus
Real vs Brock Lesnar
Bayern vs Harlem Globetrotters

Barca and Real kept apart yet again, so corrupt.

Syder

Mario Götze ruled out for the rest of the season with illness
World Cup winner Mario Götze has been ruled out for the rest of the season as he recovers from a "metabolic disorder" but is expected to be "fully fit" for the start of next term.

The Germany and Borussia Dortmund midfielder, 24, has been limited to nine Bundesliga starts because of muscular problems since re-signing from Bayern Munich last summer.

Götze is on a rehabilitation programme and could be training by early summer, but it depends on how he responds to treatment, said the German club.

Dortmund added: "The long-term target for the player is to be fully fit and ready to play for the start of next season".

"BVB wish Mario Götze a fast recovery, also in the name of their 10 million fans," said Borussia Dortmund's chief executive officer Hans-Joachim Watzke.

Götze, who scored Germany's extra-time winning goal against Argentina in the 2014 World Cup final, has played 24 minutes of Bundesliga action in 2017.

First draw
Atlético vs Leicester
Second
Borussia vs Monaco
Third
Bayern vs Real
Fourth
Juventus vs Barcelona

First team in the draws are Home games

Pachimari

Fuck.

Bayern Munich vs Real Madrid.

Glad we're playing away from home in the first leg though.

I think Atletico Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Real Madrid and Barcelona will go through.

Audioboxer

Okay for Leicester. Avoiding Real, Bayern and Barcelona was key.

Altetico or Borussia would be my picks for a tiny chance. There's no easy rides at this stage. Only hard and youarealreadydead difficulty.

Pachimari

To me winning La Liga is more important than the Champions League this season. We haven't won it in 7 seasons. But winning against Bayern would be oh so sweet. Gonna be some intense matches. Sergio Ramos to step up and score the winning goal in minute 93.

Not a bad draw for Leicester.

Sevilla have won once and draw once to Athletico this season so its not like its an impossible task even though Leicester always feel in an impossible position.

Barca v Juve will be a great game, excited for that one! No doubt they wont repeat their abysmal performance at Parc des Princes.

Real v Bayern should be good, I honestly think this could be a bit of a toss up. Bayern are 10 points clear in Bundesliga so can afford to rest and get ready but Real still have to gun week-to-week.

Dortmund v Monaco should be a cracker of a game too.

Always excited for the CL. Would hate for Barca, Real and Atletico to go through, never enjoy it too much when it feels like one country is 'dominating' as its quite boring, could see those matches several times a year already.

Audioboxer

Not a bad draw for Leicester.

Sevilla have won once and draw once to Athletico this season so its not like its an impossible task even though Leicester always feel in an impossible position.

Barca v Juve will be a great game, excited for that one! No doubt they wont repeat their abysmal performance at Parc des Princes.

Real v Bayern should be good, I honestly think this could be a bit of a toss up. Bayern are 10 points clear in Bundesliga so can afford to rest and get ready but Real still have to gun week-to-week.

Dortmund v Monaco should be a cracker of a game too.

Always excited for the CL. Would hate for Barca, Real and Atletico to go through, never enjoy it too much when it feels like one country is 'dominating' as its quite boring, could see those matches several times a year already.

The Spanish teams buying the refs for an all Spanish final, amirite?

/shitposting

NHale

As a matchup of styles, Atletico is the worst possible opponent for Leicester considering how Simeone sets up his team especially on Champions League. Talent wise of course Real, Barça or Bayern are much better but the way they play would probably give more chances to Leicester.

Both Atletico and Leicester will play similar styles but Leicester especially thrives when opponents try to go forward with too many men and then get caught on the counter. That will not happen much against Atletico especially considering the first game is at home, Simeone will not be very bothered if he ties 0-0.

RR30

Dortmund-Monaco is going to be terrific. Probably the best draw for Dortmund save Leicester too. I wonder If Reus will be fit by then?

NHale

What will Mourinho complain about after the most lucky draw possible for United?

They get one of the weakest teams alive on the competition and even play the 2nd leg at home.

Not only that but Lyon plays against Besiktas, so one of the top 3 teams still in the competition are going out because they play each other. Incredible.

Seriously before the draw this would probably be the perfect scenario, except for maybe Celta Vigo playing Ajax or Schalke. Can't ask for more though.

NHale

So Lyon, United, Genk and Shalke for semis.

Don't you rate Celta Vigo? They are a very dangerous team.

Also Besiktas are playing without Aboubakar on the first leg but they have the talent to beat Lyon. Yesterday they were winning 2-1 vs. Olympiakos when Aboubakar was sent off and still managed to win 4-1 in the end despite playing with 10 men for 55 minutes.

Don't you rate Celta Vigo? They are a very dangerous.

Both teams seem to have bad seasons in the league so probably are hungry to perform in the tournament. I have only watched Celta play in la liga and they perform very uneven. I think it will be a very even matchup anyway but Genk seem to have better form.

What will Mourinho complain about after the most lucky draw possible for United?

They get one of the weakest teams alive on the competition and even play the 2nd leg at home.

Not only that but Lyon plays against Besiktas, so one of the top 3 teams still in the competition are going out because they play each other. Incredible.

Seriously before the draw this would probably be the perfect scenario, except for maybe Celta Vigo playing Ajax or Schalke. Can't ask for more though.

I wouldn't underestimate Anderlecht. I rate them higher than Besiktas, Genk and Ajax. Celta also hasn't been that convincing in Europe, except for their win against Shakhtar.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So I got Leicester-Atletico right.

Bayern-Real will be a tough one. Zidane vs. Ancelotti. I'm afraid Carlo will outsmart Zizou in this one.

casiopao

Why are you worried, it is only Barcelona. I am sure the Italian giants can easily win the game

I can see us winning in J-Stadium there but Camp Nou is place where miracle can happen.T_T And i am still triggered every time i remembered that 2015 UCL final.T_T

I would rather take Real Madrid there.T_T

ElyrionX

At a club of this level "fatigue" is a ridiculous argument. I'm fully on board with the pundits. The majority of the time I think it's pandering to the players leading to mental fatigue (as in keep telling someone they're tired and fragile, and they'll believe it). If Zlatan at 35 can play nearly every game and still consistently rank between a rank 6-9, only hitting 6 a few times when he was a ghost, young early to mid 20s players have zero excuse to whine about being tired. The squad is large as well.

Or you get Ronaldo and Messi playing every single game all season long, consistently, and never being "tired". A large part of the battle is mental, and managers do no good for their players constantly whining on camera about "fixture congestion". It's a get out of jail card for players to act like babies and turn off in games.

Outside of Zlatan our next fittest is probably Valencia. He never huffs and puffs and appears to be a fragile player needing his 6 day TLC. Apart from leaders, my next on a transfer market need list would be general fitness and attitude to hard work. It's disgraceful to hear clubs of this size whining about being in 4~5 competitions and having games to play. What the fuck? You should want to win every trophy and compete in everything possible. Not say, oh well, that's good we've been dumped out of trophy X because, our poor players need a break.

I don think it's disingenuous to argue that well-rested players perform better than the ones who are not.

In his best days, SAF always had very clear rotation policies. In fact, in CR's first or second season, SAF remarked once that he realized he was pushing Ronaldo too hard by playing him in too many games and that he needed a break.

I can see us winning in J-Stadium there but Camp Nou is place where miracle can happen.T_T And i am still triggered every time i remembered that 2015 UCL final.T_T

I would rather take Real Madrid there.T_T

PSG with the biggest choke job lol. Juve won't make that mistake if ya have a lead like that. Hence why I wanted Juve vs Barcelona this early, I feel Juve can knock em out.

Paracelsus

Why are you worried, it is only Barcelona. I am sure the Italian giants can easily win the game

Vince McUefa already screwed PSG Punk out the UCL title picture to put John Barce
lo
na over because kids and casual fans love him. Juve has simply no chance, they don't draw the big audience.

casiopao

PSG with the biggest choke job lol. Juve won't make that mistake if ya have a lead like that. Hence why I wanted Juve vs Barcelona this early, I feel Juve can knock em out.

Of course i agree that we won't do that choke job there. But i am afraid of MSN attack there.

I can only hope that our CB Bonnuci and Chiellini can be fit for the upcoming game so i can feel more calm.^^

Especially when Busquet is suspended for the first leg.^^

Tosyn_88

I don think it's disingenuous to argue that well-rested players perform better than the ones who are not.

In his best days, SAF always had very clear rotation policies. In fact, in CR's first or second season, SAF remarked once that he realized he was pushing Ronaldo too hard by playing him in too many games and that he needed a break.

Its is very funny how some pundits can actually claim to know what they are talking about and make opinions like this. Micheal Owen was a fringe player used mostly for Carling cup and some lower league matches, he wasn't playing all of it. In fact, if i remember correctly, SAF only used fringe and young players in the Carling cup so the senior team only played league, FA cup and Europe. In some cases, SAF even relegated the FA cup matches to fringe and young players too so Owen and Hargreaves should know better than to offer rubbish opinions like that. That said, Jose has himself to blame because he had several opportunities to rotate the squad and he refused to do so because of his oversized ego, now it is costing him. It is one of the reasons why i never take opinions of Pogba performances seriously, it is almost as if people don't have eyes to know that he had looked leggy for a while now because Jose refuses to rotate him or sub him off, it is absolutely bonkers

Audioboxer

Europa draw

LYON v BESIKTAS
AJAX v SCHALKE
CELTA VIGO v GENK
ANDERLECHT v MANCHESTER UNITED

Relatively happy. Was wanting to avoid Lyon, Ajax, and Schalke at this point. Still, no easy draws at this stage. Genk would probably have been the "easiest" draw. Or others will say Celta Vigo...

Tielemans is often a FM purchase for me, so lets see how he performs against us!

Of course, but too often managers and players are hiding behind fatigue these days as an excuse for underperforming. As I said, part of it is psychological. If you truly believe being involved in all cups is a "pain", your body will react to your mind.

Man Utd have one of the biggest squads, and if anything it is Mourinho being a bit stubborn and nuking the careers of the likes of Bastian. He's doing okay rotating some others, but Pogba should have sat out a game or two by now. Not for fatigue, but performance.

Tosyn_88

Relatively happy. Was wanting to avoid Lyon, Ajax, and Schalke at this point. Still, no easy draws at this stage. Genk would probably have been the "easiest" draw.

Tielemans is often a FM purchase for me, so lets see how he performs against us!

Of course, but too often managers and players are hiding behind fatigue these days as an excuse for underperforming. As I said, part of it is psychological. If you truly believe being involved in all cups is a "pain", your body will react to your mind.

Man Utd have one of the biggest squads, and if anything it is Mourinho being a bit stubborn and nuking the careers of the likes of Bastian. He's doing okay rotating some others, but Pogba should have sat out a game or two by now. Not for fatigue, but performance.

I don't believe you are actually saying this?

Mental strength can take you so far if your opponent isn't up to your level, case example being the EFL cup final. But when you go to face an opponent on your level, your mental strength argument is total BS because the opponent has the same.

I have watched Tennis matches where it is obvious Serena Williams is tired but she still manages to pull through because she has a mental edge over the opposition but when she faces a strong opponent, she loses. Same with boxing, same with any high performance sports. You cannot seriously tell me that these players can win against Chelsea with just their mental strength alone

Audioboxer

I don't believe you are actually saying this?

Mental strength can take you so far if your opponent isn't up to your level, case example being the EFL cup final. But when you go to face an opponent on your level, your mental strength argument is total BS because the opponent has the same.

I have watched Tennis matches where it is obvious Serena Williams is tired but she still manages to pull through because she has a mental edge over the opposition but when she faces a strong opponent, she loses. Same with boxing, same with any high performance sports. You cannot seriously tell me that these players can win against Chelsea with just their mental strength alone

I'm not saying fatigue doesn't exist, I'm talking about managers and players breeding the melodramatic. That affects mental strength. Sure, it's a balancing act of trying to sometimes protect over zealous players who would play with a broken foot. They're a dying breed though, these days it's players acting like they need cotton wool wrapped around them that can drag a team down to mediocrity.

Hence why you get some of the old school minds like Zlatan playing nearly every game at 35, and players in their early 20's huffing, sighing and moaning around a park at every little thing that goes wrong. Then needing some visits to the bench cause they're "tired". A lack of a winning mentality coupled with a lack of consistently trying hard, and pushing through things going wrong, is causing some footballers to act like they are just there to pickup a paycheck/ride on the backs of other players in their team.

Fergie wouldn't accept that shit, and the wildcard with Mourinho is sometimes HE is the one acting like a child in front of the camera/with the things he says. No club should ever be moaning about the amount of cups they are involved in. That shit is toxic. Most teams would kill to be competing in 3~4~5 trophies.

Jarnet87

Carrick, Fellaini and Rashford have to be nailed in for the next two league fixtures I wager. Either a 4-2-3-1 or possibly a 4-1-4-1 with Mkhitaryan or Mata playing as the other midfielder advanced alongside Fellaini the other on the wing. It's as good a time as ever to give Fosu Mensah some time in midfield with the lack of other options. Not that Depay or Schneiderlin were doing anything but it would have been nice to use some fresh legs. With what is looking like 3-4 players easily gone in the summer it could be a big incoming window as we need replacements plus a couple players for depth.

Top Bottom