• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Garjon

City will still win this, Monaco look so nervous.

But what a bizarre defensive line to have for that FK, the attackers have a major advantage in that sort of situation.

Empty

monaco look so out of energy and have for ages, not surprised they scored key goal from set piece. city will score late.

NHale

Pellegrini laughs.

Enjoy watching Leonardo Jardim celebrate, Pep. It's worthy after your little theatrics at Manchester....

Fdkn

Fraudiola did it again

Failure after failure

ps: another fantastic year for the Premier League in UCL, only a team fighting for relegation got to the quarterfinals

Audioboxer

Man, who's the bigger Fraud now, Mourinho or Guardiola?

Also LOL at the state of English football in Europe. Takes Team Judas to do what Arsenal, or City, can't.

Although, Leicester probably will get pumped in the next round.

Pachimari

Guardiola were never as special as the press and his fans made him out to be.

Anyway, I hope Leicester goes a long way. It would be so much fun. Also I'm with Kasper Schmeichel!

Garjon

Maybe not. City absolutely threw that away. They were a goal up and the momentum was overwhelmingly in their favour. Then a needless free kick, a defensive line that left almost the entire penalty box free for attackers to run into and poor tracking of runners and they gave a needless goal away and that was that. There wasn't much of a fightback either.

Maybe not. City absolutely threw that away. They were a goal up and the momentum was overwhelmingly in their favour. Then a needless free kick, a defensive line that left almost the entire penalty box free for attackers to run into and poor tracking of runners and they gave a needless goal away and that was that. There wasn't much of a fightback either.

Because they suck at defense, they have been all year.

Monaco utterly deserved that. That was a hard game to watch, turned the TV of multiple times in frustration. Fabinho was brilliant all game.

I conducted my own random draw for the quarter finals and got this:

Barcelona vs Juventus
Bayern vs Real Madrid
Atletico vs Dortmund
Leicester vs Monaco

You hear it here first folks.

*Ctrl+F Fraud*

4 hits. C'mon GAF we can do better!

If Monaco can be as solid as they were first half no wonder they're top of Ligue 1. City are just... City...

Zasa

Lmfao at these shit posts about frauds. Ridiculous. People are acting like Monaco are shit.

What is with this English obsession about Pep? Such close mindedness.

Zasa

Monaco are class, but Pep and Mou are still both frauds.
How are they frauds? There's just no logic here. Do they have to coach Sunderland & win the PL plus CL so they aren't considered frauds?

Sorry this whole fraud thing the English regurgitate every time one of their teams loses is just childish, & wholly devoid of logic.

Audioboxer

He's class in FM

I mentioned it on the previous page, hit 190PA on a recent save with the winter update that I started. It'll probably be a random dice roll he has between certain numbers rather than a fixed 190.

How are they frauds? There's just no logic here. Do they have to coach Sunderland & win the PL plus CL so they aren't considered frauds?

Sorry this whole fraud thing the English regurgitate every time one of their teams loses is just childish, & wholly devoid of logic.

Xd4nlDO.png

It's mostly banter used to describe how both of them bottle it a lot. Pep gets some stick because he's largely been in charge of insanely "loaded" teams, as in they're all world class players a donkey could win stuff with. People suggest the Premier League given how challenging it usually is is showing up Pep cracking under pressure.

City is a team with some bottlers and also arguably a bit uneven around the edges. Defensively Pep hasn't just been able to walk in and do his tactics from his old clubs and succeed. Sweeper Keeper shit in the Premier League doesn't really work. Therefore, Peps finding it hard to adapt as he cannot just bulldoze the league like with some of his past clubs.

Of course, he's still a good manager, but banter is banter in England (the UK). We learn from AFTV.

Inversive

Lmfao at these shit posts about frauds. Ridiculous. People are acting like Monaco are shit.

What is with this English obsession about Pep? Such close mindedness.

I think it's because Pep hasn't done anything without having insanely talented teams, he doesn't have that at city and he's been shown up frequently this year. The english media is a clown circus too though. I think the whole Hart saga (Lion of England) soured the medias views on him.

Zasa

Xd4nlDO.png

It's mostly banter used to describe how both of them bottle it a lot. Pep gets some stick because he's largely been in charge of insanely "loaded" teams, as in they're all world class players a donkey could win stuff with. People suggest the Premier League given how challenging it usually is is showing up Pep cracking under pressure.
Most of it is definitely banter from club rivals, for sure . But their are some people who are dead serious about it as well. Which just baffles me. Think it's hard to say anyone could win with their teams when Papa Martino happened, & countless others failed to achieve the heights & the quality of football they brought to their teams respectively.

Pretty sure Pep knew this would be a challenge, as he's said it himself countless times. Their backline has let them down all season as well as Bravo, but they've only had maybe three matches total where they've been simply outplayed/dominated. Doubt you'll see these same struggles next season as Pep's team continually improve each season, it's really just their backline that's the issue.

NHale

And to think that Manchester United has an option to match any deal that Monaco accepts for Bernardo Silva, thrown away by Monaco to make the Martial deal look better for United.

Right now, United would be fools if they don't grab him before he joins Barcelona (SPORT and Mundo Deportivo are really trying to push that agenda). He would fit so well in that midfield as a Iniesta replacement. He's creative but at the same time he can recover the posession on defense. United just has to match it and sell Mata. Bernardo Silva is a much better version than Mata was or will ever be, and I like Mata.

I would be surprised if Fabinho isn't a target for United especially considering it was Mourinho that "found" him at Rio Ave and brought him to Real Madrid. He can play as right back and center midfield, is tall and versatile as holding midfielder so he would fit so many Mourinho checkboxes (no longer need Fellaini to create mismatches via the aerial ball).

Monaco will cash in so much if they want. Lemar, Bakayoko, Mbeppe, Bernardo Silva, Fabinho...

City is a team with some bottlers and also arguably a bit uneven around the edges. Defensively Pep hasn't just been able to walk in and do his tactics from his old clubs and succeed. Sweeper Keeper shit in the Premier League doesn't really work. Therefore, Peps finding it hard to adapt as he cannot just bulldoze the league like with some of his past clubs.

Not even really banter, just regurgitated dross people read on social media and in shitty tabloids.

I have been slightly surprised by the criticisms Pep has got, especially by those who prior espoused him to be the best thing to happen to football management, its like they never watched Bayern or Barca under him. I guess they also just spouted shit somebody else said they thought made them sound knowledgable. His tactics are identical except for the slight meddling he did that really didn't work (especially against Tottenham). Combine that with a lack of a defender and midfielder who anticipate the opposition play, something that has always been core to his tactics it is pretty much expected.

Audioboxer

Most of it is definitely banter from club rivals, for sure . But their are some people who are dead serious about it as well. Which just baffles me. Think it's hard to say anyone could win with their teams when Papa Martino happened, & countless others failed to achieve the heights & the quality of football they brought to their teams respectively.

Pretty sure Pep knew this would be a challenge, as he's said it himself countless times. Their backline has let them down all season as well as Bravo, but they've only had maybe three matches total where they've been simply outplayed/dominated. Doubt you'll see these same struggles next season as Pep's team continually improve each season, it's really just their backline that's the issue.

But yeah, to conclude, Pep is a fraud.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

It's cool man, your points are sound

Not even really banter, just regurgitated dross people read on social media and in shitty tabloids.

I have been slightly surprised by the criticisms Pep has got, especially by those who prior espoused him to be the best thing to happen to football management, its like they never watched Bayern or Barca under him. I guess they also just spouted shit somebody else said they thought made them sound knowledgable. His tactics are identical except for the slight meddling he did that really didn't work (especially against Tottenham). Combine that with a lack of a defender and midfielder who anticipate the opposition play, something that has always been core to his tactics it is pretty much expected.

It's banter in here! Football-GAF needs some more banter. It's boring just relying on AFTV!

Inversive

And to think that Manchester United has an option to match any deal that Monaco accepts for Bernardo Silva, thrown away by Monaco to make the Martial deal look better for United.

Right now, United would be fools if they don't grab him before he joins Barcelona (SPORT and Mundo Deportivo are really trying to push that agenda). He would fit so well in that midfield as a Iniesta replacement. He's creative but at the same time he can recover the posession on defense. United just has to match it and sell Mata. Bernardo Silva is a much better version than Mata was or will ever be, and I like Mata.

I would be surprised if Fabinho isn't a target for United especially considering it was Mourinho that "found" him at Rio Ave and brought him to Real Madrid. He can play as right back and center midfield, is tall and versatile as holding midfielder so he would fit so many Mourinho checkboxes (no longer need Fellaini to create mismatches via the aerial ball).

Monaco will cash in so much if they want. Lemar, Bakayoko, Mbeppe, Bernardo Silva, Fabinho...
They have so much young talent it's crazy, I want to see this team develop more but they seem found of selling off their young stars.

Zasa

But yeah, to conclude, Pep is a fraud.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

It's cool man, your points are sound

It's banter in here! Football-GAF needs some more banter. It's boring just relying on AFTV!
Haha, you're right. I've just debated these things in countless other places so I'm just used to it at this point. Banter away!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So, we're ready for the quarters:

Barcelona vs Dortmund
Bayern vs. Juventus
Real Madrid vs. Monaco
Leicester vs. Atletico

NHale

They have so much young talent it's crazy, I want to see this team develop more but they seem found of selling off their young stars.

They have been selling every year but they keep finding new young players and develop them into the first team. Just look at the players they sold in recent years: Martial, Kondogbia, Ferreira-Carrasco, Kurzawa, James Rodriguez, etc.

And it's not the case of them going out and buying already promising players, they go and make deals for players on reserve squads of other teams for relatively cheap. What an amazing job of that scouting department and the managers of their teams.

Audioboxer

Haha, you're right. I've just debated these things in countless other places so I'm just used to it at this point. Banter away!

Some serious football communites can be a drag -_-

Once you realise some people actually believe some of the nonsense they come out with, you can only shake your head.

I mean, anyone sane knows Pep is a good manager. Like every good manager though he's not perfect.

The thing most of us love about the Premier League is just how unpredictable results can be, and often that is both players AND managers choking. The era of any one club dominating and winning 3/4/5+ titles in a row or in a short space is just gone. I mean, it's very unlikely Chelsea will win again next season. Heck, we can't even get clubs winning back to back FA Cups (hi Man Utd).

Konck that already.

Ranieri shit the bed, there is no way about it.

If anyone shat the bed it was Vardy. Ranieri must have hit on his wife or something at a party.

Top Bottom