• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

joker3782

Neo Member
A part of me wants Leicester to get either Barca or Real so I can get the tickets to the home game and see those players live, but at the same time I want Leicester to go all the way. Looking at that list of teams left (and its a strong list), the least best seems to be Dortmund and Atletico (at least at face value). Its gonna be a tough game whoever we get.

Zasa

Some serious football communites can be a drag -_-

Once you realise some people actually believe some of the nonsense they come out with, you can only shake your head.

I mean, anyone sane knows Pep is a good manager. Like every good manager though he's not perfect.

The thing most of us love about the Premier League is just how unpredictable results can be, and often that is both players AND managers choking. The era of any one club dominating and winning 3/4/5+ titles in a row or in a short space is just gone. I mean, it's very unlikely Chelsea will win again next season. Heck, we can't even get clubs winning back to back FA Cups (hi Man Utd).

If anyone shat the bed it was Vardy.
I agree, I left a lot of those serious forums because it just a full-circle of the same debates every game & it just got boring.

The PL willl be very interesting next season now that both Chelsea & Liverpool (imo), will have CL football to contend with. Having one week of training each week is a pretty substantial advantage as Leicester showed last season. Less games equals having the luxury to play your best XI every game, more rest, plus time to analyze each opponent thoroughly/prepare accordingly & much lower chance of injuries.

Very curious to see how/if Spurs solidly their midfield & wingers over the summer as well.

Honestly, this whole season has brought us some great football all around Europe. In fact, most with even closer races than the PL. The French league is up for grabs by any of Nice, PSG & Monaco. Sevilla still have a chance of getting first if they beat Barca & RM by seasons's end, or at least getting second. Plus the battle for the EL spots is close as well. RB now have sadly pretty much lost the hope of winning the BuLi title over Bayern, but the football they were playing in the first half of the season wa some of the best I've seen in a while as a whole unit in Germany. RB bad the best defense in Europe for a long stretch there & are still a top tier defense at that.

Looking forward to what they bring next season & hopefully genuine title contending teams in Leverkusen & Dortmund.

Tosyn_88

I suppose it was all well and good for everyone who wanted City to lose. I actually wanted City to win, even as a United supporter but then again, it is only fair to have a French team progressing to the next round after all that nonsense that happened at the Camp Nou. City have themselves to blame here, they knew Monanco were going to come at them heavily yet they couldn't defend a two goal lead. No matter how poor their defense actually is, they should have at least gone to half time at 1-0 but hindsight is 20/20 isn't it and Pep would rue not starting very defensive line up to begin with.

Congratulations to Monaco though, their team really worked hard, even when they looked tired, they managed to find it from somewhere, they really deserve it. They gave every neutral fan a spectacle of a game to watch and dare I say, it made people excited for the Champions League again. The Spanish dominance of Football isn't healthy at all, in my opinion, as much as everyone likes to salivate over the two Spanish teams, it isn't healthy at all. Just look at the Fifpro last year

Anyways, I hope Jose managed to watch the match. Fabinho is a high priority signing if he wants to replace Carrick. He may consider picking Bakayoko for added muscle too and I will imagine they will cost a lot.

Tosyn_88

I agree, I left a lot of those serious forums because it just a full-circle of the same debates every game & it just got boring.

The PL willl be very interesting next season now that both Chelsea & Liverpool (imo), will have CL football to contend with. Having one week of training each week is a pretty substantial advantage as Leicester showed last season. Less games equals having the luxury to play your best XI every game, more rest, plus time to analyze each opponent thoroughly/prepare accordingly & much lower chance of injuries.

Very curious to see how/if Spurs solidly their midfield & wingers over the summer as well.

Honestly, this whole season has brought us some great football all around Europe. In fact, most with even closer races than the PL. The French league is up for grabs by any of Nice, PSG & Monaco. Sevilla still have a chance of getting first if they beat Barca & RM by seasons's end, or at least getting second. Plus the battle for the EL spots is close as well. RB now have sadly pretty much lost the hope of winning the BuLi title over Bayern, but the football they were playing in the first half of the season wa some of the best I've seen in a while as whole in Germany,

Looking forward to what they bring next season & hopefully genuine title contending teams in Leverkusen & Dortmund.

Fantastic post and I agree. As a watching neutral, mostly being a Utd fan, I think the dominance of the Spanish regulars isn't a good sight. It made me watch less European games all together and I would imagine that I am not alone. Bundesliga people can say what they want but Bayern is hurting their league, all those marketing gimmicks in the north America and china they keep trying wont save the league if they don't allow it to become competitive somewhat. I remember when they did the world player of the year awards, seeing the Fifpro list and it was all filled with Laliga, I mean common.
It is good to see Athletico grow, same with Leicester and Monaco, but if i am honest, Spurs are not looking at being an European major. To them, the spot is just a marketing avenue to attract revenue to their club, Spurs is very much a business and this is actually the case with most EPL team Utd included

casiopao

Lol. City is pathetic. And this is the team who wasted 47.5 million pounds on John Stones.0-0

Let see who Guardiola will try poach again this coming summer lol.

Oh yeah. To some Arsenal fans. Is the news of Sanchez wanted to leave true there? As it would be great to see Juve get him.^~^

casiopao

Speaking the truth though here, City losing is kinda predictable lol.

Monaco is a great team there. They got exceptionally strong/physical Mid, Mbappe in front wrecking havoc, the player all also had great intensity.

Even though on Second half, they seems to had lost all their fuel there lol.^^ Any team facing Monaco is going to had hard time there.^^

casiopao

Poor City, better luck next time!

For the quarter finals, I'd like to see another Juventus vs Real Madrid. Classic match.

Juve vs Real is going to be super fun again lol.^^ But for me as a Juve fan, it will be another super scary game.T_T

Hope Ramos and Morata won't troll us when we meet up.^^

Meeting Bayern would be the worst case scenario for me.T_T

tim.mbp

Barça vs. Real (why not)
Atlético vs. Bayern (grudge rematch)
Dortmund vs. Monaco (all offense)
Leicester vs Juventus (sorry LC)

casiopao

Barça vs. Real (why not)
Atlético vs. Bayern (grudge rematch)
Dortmund vs. Monaco (all offense)
Leicester vs Juventus (sorry LC)

Hahahaha.^^ U really thought that UEFA would allow Barca meet up with Real lol? They have never meet up for like forever there in Quarter Final.^^

You will get Barca vs Dortmund

And Real vs Monaco and you will like it.^^

Juve vs Leicester is going to be nightmare for Juve.T_T Juventus had the famous reputation of making things more difficult when they are facing under dog teams.T_T

DBT85

Even if Pool don't manage CL, they'll still be in Europa. Chelsea will at least have the money to expand the squad to cope so should be able to at least fight for top 4 with the CL as well. I can't honestly say that I expect Liverpool to fight for a top 4 spot unless they drop out of the CL/Europa very early, they have neither the existing squad depth or the money to improve it fast enough. Their better bet might actually be to just ignore it and try to get top 4 with more regularity to improve the squad.

Just praying United get through tonight as I'm now actually worried top 4 might not be possible, even though we're 6 points off 4th with 2 games in hand. We're still not clinical enough and have got 4 draws and 2 wins from the last 6 in the PL.

casiopao

To those hoping that Chelsea will be super team in UCL.... I would not bet on it really here.

As i am speaking from my experience of Conte handling Juve. Conte will make sure that you guys will stand strong holding that PL title but he won't give a crap about other title. Uukhh all that trauma from Conte on Europe start coming out again.T_T

ElyrionX

Just praying United get through tonight as I'm now actually worried top 4 might not be possible, even though we're 6 points off 4th with 2 games in hand. We're still not clinical enough and have got 4 draws and 2 wins from the last 6 in the PL.

Pretty clear that the fatigue from the full schedules is crushing the team now. That's why I am not sorry to see us crashing out of the FA cup. Top 4 and Europa are more important now.

Mourinho should never have went with full strength teams so often for the League Cup.

TimmmV

Anyone know if that was the highest scoring round of 16 in CL history?

Aside from Porto - Juve, all the other ties had a pretty high number of goals in them

casiopao

Anyone know if that was the highest scoring round of 16 in CL history?

Aside from Porto - Juve, all the other ties had a pretty high number of goals in them

Not sure lol.^^ The only thing i know is that Juve vs Porto is the only match where Juve keep double clean sheet.^^ Clean sheet for life.^^

DBT85

Boro have sacked Karanka. The best manager they have ever had based on win percentage.

United to lose confirmed.

Pretty clear that the fatigue from the full schedules is crushing the team now. That's why I am not sorry to see us crashing out of the FA cup. Top 4 and Europa are more important now.

Mourinho should never have went with full strength teams so often for the League Cup.

I suppose it was in part to try and do well, get momentum and belief and that winning mentality. But yeah, the pileup hasn't helped us at all. Hopefully we get a couple of early goals tonight to make life a little easier, but I doubt that will happen.

Will be interesting to see who they can sign if we don't win Europa and don't get top 4. We have to do one or the other.

Audioboxer

Boro have sacked Karanka. The best manager they have ever had based on win percentage.

United to lose confirmed.

I suppose it was in part to try and do well, get momentum and belief and that winning mentality. But yeah, the pileup hasn't helped us at all. Hopefully we get a couple of early goals tonight to make life a little easier, but I doubt that will happen.

Will be interesting to see who they can sign if we don't win Europa and don't get top 4. We have to do one or the other.

United will draw their way into 5th position.

At a club of this level "fatigue" is a ridiculous argument. I'm fully on board with the pundits. The majority of the time I think it's pandering to the players leading to mental fatigue (as in keep telling someone they're tired and fragile, and they'll believe it). If Zlatan at 35 can play nearly every game and still consistently rank between a rank 6-9, only hitting 6 a few times when he was a ghost, young early to mid 20s players have zero excuse to whine about being tired. The squad is large as well.

Or you get Ronaldo and Messi playing every single game all season long, consistently, and never being "tired". A large part of the battle is mental, and managers do no good for their players constantly whining on camera about "fixture congestion". It's a get out of jail card for players to act like babies and turn off in games.

Outside of Zlatan our next fittest is probably Valencia. He never huffs and puffs and appears to be a fragile player needing his 6 day TLC. Apart from leaders, my next on a transfer market need list would be general fitness and attitude to hard work. It's disgraceful to hear clubs of this size whining about being in 4~5 competitions and having games to play. What the fuck? You should want to win every trophy and compete in everything possible. Not say, oh well, that's good we've been dumped out of trophy X because, our poor players need a break.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Defoe should've been in the England team years ago. Glad someone finally had the balls to stop picking people just because of their name.

Jarnet87

Mou going with wing backs again tonight, third straight game.

Romero: Valencia, Smalling, Bailly, Rojo, Blind; Herrera, Pogba, Mata; Mkhitaryan, Zlatan

Look at these fools at OT, paying to see Pogba drop balls and shoot at the moon going 0-0 vs random russians instead of sitting home playing Zelda/Nier/Horizon like a proper human being.

NHale

Mourinho substitutions deserve a lot of criticism. He should be blamed if Man United doesn't go through. He wrecked his own squad.

Empty

just trying to run out the clock here. falling asleep watching it.

wonder if rostov will catch us out.

edit: lol then we score. yes lads!

Top Bottom