• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Audioboxer

We'll probably draw our way back to 5th with the 3 matches we have in hand.

True, unless it's a complete break down tomorrow and the worst unbeaten run comes to an end. Man Utd have always been utter shite against Chelsea, even under Fergie, and it'll be a Mou classic to attempt to park the bus and then get beaten 2-0 or 2-1 by a Chelsea side that will be happy to attack a brick wall, and succeed.

Just bench Herrera to avoid a yellow card after 8 minutes. Pogba/Carrick should start. Even put the elbow master ahead of Herrera. We really do need another technical central midfielder in the transfer window. The last few years have just been holding or defensive midfielders over and over. Bloody well sign Tielemans when he comes over for the return leg!

The only way to win tomorrow is to outscore Chelsea and be happy conceding 1 or 2 if it means scoring 2 or 3. Incoming park the bus, a lack of attacking quality and a terrible to watch game that the bookies will probably put Man Utd favourite to lose.

From the inevitable loss, Mou to shave his head again, further throw the team under the bus, and out of the 3 games in hand probably 2 losses and 1 draw to scrape back into 5th. Probably. The league is over it'll have to be the Europa cup for CL football. The shite attempt at finishing the game off the other night means we're starting the return leg with nerves. Go 1 down first and we have to rely on the "free scoring" attacking players to get 2.

spidye

what a difference in attitude

when we were one man down and when neverkusen was one man down.

incredible.

we have the character of a coward like ancelotti actually is

Dark Rider

3 Points are good in a match we needed to play our toddlers in
I love how the 3rd goal in the 90th minute
sucking the soul out of gijon in the last minute is satisfying.

Bayern bros

Carlo might redeem himself for you in the second leg
the first match score line is not decisive you can come back and take it

in case he didn't though who would take up his spot if you sack him?

Syder

tumblr_oiwd36B1tj1riqfzao1_500.gif

Zasa

Brilliant performance by La Real thus far. Breaking down Barca well, pressing their first phase of build-up really efficiently & have kept up that intensity all game long. Love watching Xabi Preito play.

Reminiscent of their league fixture earlier in the season where they arguably outplayed Barca & got the draw

TeddyBoy

Not good news at all imo. We need squad depth. Chamberlain is likely demanding first team football, and our first team attacking midfielders are better.

We don't guarantee first team football and we've been looking for a backup for Mane for a while, so we should be ok for £15m.

Not good news at all imo. We need squad depth. Chamberlain is likely demanding first team football, and our first team attacking midfielders are better.

If the Ox rumors are true, can see us starting with 2 wingers in some games next season.

Ox - New Striker/Firmino - Mane

T-Rex.

Banned
Well he'd be a good backup for Mane, surprised he'd leave Arsenal for our bench though.
I actually think he'll be a Lallana back up more than anything. I mean yeah he could cover for Mane as well, and I'd imagine that versatility is one of the reasons we're keen on him, but I think he's more effective slightly deeper. It'd be a smart signing as long as we do end up buying a proper winger/wide forward as well.

King_Moc

Banned
We don't guarantee first team football and we've been looking for a backup for Mane for a while, so we should be ok for £15m.

£15m would be great, but that seems really optimistic given the rumours. If he's gonna be part of a midfield squad rotation, then I'm up for it.

Jack cw

Bayern bros

Carlo might redeem himself for you in the second leg
the first match score line is not decisive you can come back and take it

in case he didn't though who would take up his spot if you sack him?

There is nothing to redeem to from.
We lost against a better side, missed a penalty and got us even more in trouble with the sent off. The match in 2014 and especially the first game at Atletico last year were something that we might needed to redeem from but Madrid was better in all aspects this time, so I can accept this easily.

Anyway, we are in transition. The era from 2010 to 2016 was the greatest Bayern ever had, but that fate also got Milan, United, Real (from 2001 to 2013), Juve, Ajax, Barca... after the key players retired or left.

Let's be honest: Lahm, who was basically the best left fb in the last years ends his career - We plan to put Kimmich there, which is a downgrade by big levels. And there is apparently no fb on the market that has the potential to become Lahm or Alves levels of good.

Alonso retires too. Yes he was over his prime but his experience and position play were extraordinary and his strategic skill overshadows his bad physical abilities due to age. Still, our board wants Renato Sanches to beome his successor, which is laughable as Sanches is basically a copy of Vidal. We bought Rudy, a solid Bundesliga player but I can't see a Rakitic style jump into world class. In the end we could buy a talent with international class that could reach world class, but even then the list is very short and would force us to surpass the 40m fee of Martinez by far. I think we see either Keita or Goretzka for this position. Marco Veratti is simply not affordable for us.

Then we have our wingers who were our weapons in the last 7 years. Two of the best in the world are way over their prime and we have Coman and Costa as their back up. Frankly, none of both will even reach a fraction of the class of Robben and Ribery. And the market isn't very convincing either. Besides Alexis Sanchez there is nobody on a similar level, and I doubt we will see him at Bayern. Sure, we could buy some promising Monaco players but they need plenty of time, and if our board wants to be competitive with the Spaniards than we are forced to buy at least one world star like we did with Ribery and build a team around him.

The saddest thing though: All my alternatives are players from other clubs. We missed to establish talents from our own youth for half a decade now, and that is a reason why more than two thirds of the team lacks the "Mia san Mia" mentality, because they didn't grow up in it like Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Alaba, Müller, Badstuber, Hummels, partly Kroos. The base for our star players is now replaced with a mix of international players and youngsters, the balance is gone. Something that Ancelotti preaches over and over: balance. He has the right idea and supports our approach to buy young talented german internationals like Süle and Brandt. Maybe then we could buy us a Griezmann, if the baseline is solid enough.

Sorry for the long post, but many Bayern supporters are somewhat disappointed because of their expectations but reality is that we only win the CL trophy every 12 years and our board made fatal mistakes since 2013, that are visibly against equal oppositions.

spidye

There is nothing to redeem to from.
We lost against a better side, missed a penalty and got us even more in trouble with the sent off. The match in 2014 and especially the first game at Atletico last year were something that we might needed to redeem from but Madrid was better in all aspects this time, so I can accept this easily.

Anyway, we are in transition. The era from 2010 to 2016 was the greatest Bayern ever had, but that fate also got Milan, United, Real (from 2001 to 2013), Juve, Ajax, Barca... after the key players retired or left.

Let's be honest: Lahm, who was basically the best left fb in the last years ends his career - We plan to put Kimmich there, which is a downgrade by big levels. And there is apparently no fb on the market that has the potential to become Lahm or Alves levels of good.

Alonso retires too. Yes he was over his prime but his experience and position play were extraordinary and his strategic skill overshadows his bad physical abilities due to age. Still, our board wants Renato Sanches to beome his successor, which is laughable as Sanches is basically a copy of Vidal. We bought Rudy, a solid Bundesliga player but I can't see a Rakitic style jump into world class. In the end we could buy a talent with international class that could reach world class, but even then the list is very short and would force us to surpass the 40m fee of Martinez by far. I think we see either Keita or Goretzka for this position. Marco Veratti is simply not affordable for us.

Then we have our wingers who were our weapons in the last 7 years. Two of the best in the world are way over their prime and we have Coman and Costa as their back up. Frankly, none of both will even reach a fraction of the class of Robben and Ribery. And the market isn't very convincing either. Besides Alexis Sanchez there is nobody on a similar level, and I doubt we will see him at Bayern. Sure, we could buy some promising Monaco players but they need plenty of time, and if our board wants to be competitive with the Spaniards than we are forced to buy at least one world star like we did with Ribery and build a team around him.

The saddest thing though: All my alternatives are players from other clubs. We missed to establish talents from our own youth for half a decade now, and that is a reason why more than two thirds of the team lacks the "Mia san Mia" mentality, because they didn't grow up in it like Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Alaba, Müller, Badstuber, Hummels, partly Kroos. The base for our star players is now replaced with a mix of international players and youngsters, the balance is gone. Something that Ancelotti preaches over and over: balance. He has the right idea and supports our approach to buy young talented german internationals like Süle and Brandt. Maybe then we could buy us a Griezmann, if the baseline is solid enough.

Sorry for the long post, but many Bayern supporters are somewhat disappointed because of their expectations but reality is that we only win the CL trophy every 12 years and our board made fatal mistakes since 2013, that are visibly against equal oppositions.

Perfect post. I agree with everything
My biggest problem with ancelotti is the lack of youth players. We played with a team that was at average over 30 years old. How can someone like kimmich, coman, costa or sanches even get the match fitness to develop into someone like ribery, alonso or lahm.
Thiago on the other hand developed into world class because he got the confidence from his coach

EmiPrime

I like Ox but he is one of our many Goldilocks players where everything has to be just right. He wants to start games and he wants to play in the middle but he hasn't proven himself to be anything other than a squad player despite being given many chances.

F34R

My wife was asleep and with that ball hit the back, I was yelling a "F YEAH!" and scared the shit out of her lol. Figuratively speaking of course, or maybe a little literally. lol

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
lmfao the state of SPL referees

Ross County given a 89th minute penalty for the clearest dive you'll ever, ever see against Celtic

Top Bottom