• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
img_1366x670$2017_05_13_23_03_38_1264040.jpg

LbGLu5K.gif

Syder

Our injury list atm

A Masuaku - Foot - May 14
A Ogbonna - Knee Surgery - June 1
C Kouyate - Wrist Injury - July 3
D Sakho - Back Injury - July 3
M Antonio - Hamstring Injury - July 3
P Obiang - Ankle Sprain - July 10
M Noble - Hernia - No Return Date
A Carroll - Groin Strain - No Return Date
G Töre - Knee Injury - No Return Date

pep1.png

Jarnet87

So how have Benfica become the dominant force in Portuguese football over the last couple seasons? I know Porto were like the Bayern of the league up until this recent shift.

Syder

So how have Benfica become the dominant force in Portuguese football over the last couple seasons? I know Porto were like the Bayern of the league up until this recent shift.
Porto were good for a while but SLB are still the most successful club in Portugal. For me, the recent dominance comes down to:

• Smart buying policy - attaining good players cheap
  • Sell them high
  • Excellent youth system

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Porto were good for a while but SLB are still the most successful club in Portugal. For me, the recent dominance comes down to:

• Smart buying policy - attaining good players cheap
  • Sell them high
  • Excellent youth system

"a while" meaning the last 20 years or so before Benfica finally started winning regularly again :p

MrKaepora

- Scouting: buying young cheap players that can grow in reserves and make the leap for the main team (Lindelof and Oblak, for examle).

- Our youngsters at Seixal are finally gainning the spotlight that they deserved and we had players like Renato Sanches, Gonçalo Guedes, Nélson Semedo, Ederson that were fundamentals in our last conquests.

- Maintaining a coesive group of players over the years that know the club inside out and can introduce new players to the spirit of the team - five players from this team are celebrating their fourth title with the club and that was unthinkable a few years ago when we had to sell most of all teams after a win in the championship.

- Finally: organisation. Compared to Porto and Sporting the Benfica's leadership seems to be the only one who knows what it's doing. You don't see stories in the press coming out of the dressing room from Benfica like a few decades ago. The players and the manager have all the tools to work their best potencial and their only concern is be focus in the game.

I have hope that if we can keep on this track in the next years we can go further in the Champions League.

Reckoner

We had the championship offered to us on a silver platter in the last 10 matches and still couldn't take it. Porto definitely had a better second half of the season until these decisive matches - and that's saying a lot -, but Benfica deserved the title for its overall consistency, no doubt.

We managed to draw more on the last decisive matches than on the entire rest of the season. There is a reason for it. I believe it is mostly our manager's fault who doesn't seem to be strong enough to lead a team this big. Talent we have a lot. Imo, Porto has the best players right now on the Portuguese league, and it showed at some points of the season, but there's only so much Nuno can achieve.

I would love to have Sérgio Conceição lead our team. I've been saying this for awhile, even when there were rumors last year of him coming. I feel like he has the perfect profile to help Porto get stronger and shield the players from the outside pressure, while being competent on the field. How doable would this be, I don't really know. We probably missed our chance on hiring him and I don't really see viable alternatives that may want to come to Porto.

casiopao

Haha. Damn those Milan fan. When they scored some offside goal, they act like nothing is wrong while any single fault helping Juventus is some kind of apocallypse. Disgusting hypocrite.

Plus there were other defensive targets that Txiki failed to pursued such as Bonucci and Laporte. The main rumours so far have been about defensive targets the main one recently being Sandro with the on going rumours about Bonucci, then Alves, Bellerin, Emerson, Semedo, Rose and Walker. City need to sign defensive players they don't really have a choice. If they sell Aguero then a player of a similar caliber needs to be brought in that is more in line with what Pep wants but there have been few rumours about attacking players only ones I can remember are Sanchez and Aubameyang.

....... 3 Juventus player there lol. U guys cant stop trying to take our best player huh.0_0

T-Rex.

Banned
Our injury list atm

A Masuaku - Foot - May 14
A Ogbonna - Knee Surgery - June 1
C Kouyate - Wrist Injury - July 3
D Sakho - Back Injury - July 3
M Antonio - Hamstring Injury - July 3
P Obiang - Ankle Sprain - July 10
M Noble - Hernia - No Return Date
A Carroll - Groin Strain - No Return Date
G Töre - Knee Injury - No Return Date

pep1.png
Huh, never realised it was that bad. If Sturridge starts I think we'll win.

Audioboxer

More interested in watching the Liverpool game than United. Jose should just field a team of youngsters to give fans something to see.

Although said youngsters better wear +10 armour of bone protection. Tottenham will be irritable today.

xVQqfph.gif

More interested in watching the Liverpool game than United. Jose should just field a team of youngsters to give fans something to see.

Although said youngsters better wear +10 armour of bone protection. Tottenham will be irritable today.

xVQqfph.gif

tumblr_mtpo0gp5S61siaq1oo1_400.gif

I wanna see Studge start and I want to see us composed. We can find a way through their defense I'm sure we've just got to not lose our heads in set pieces.

EmiPrime

xVQqfph.gif

"He's not that kind of player".

EmiPrime

Seen too many tackles from players over the last 20 years just like that with exactly the same line. Even more when you count the lucky near misses or it not being the standing leg so nothing gets done.

Just once I would like a journalist to instantly interject with "he snapped another player's leg with a two footed off the ground kick so he is that kind of player" when a manager comes out with that trite line.

I'm willing to believe the people who say that but Spurs is very much that kind of club. If you have c*nts like Dembele, Dier and Walker playing week in week out no wonder your other players get infected too.

https://youtu.be/sYBNFWpLQ54?t=57s

Pachimari

Today will be James' last game at the Bernabeu as he is going to the Premier League.
Pepe is also not going to China or PSG, but instead Inter. He'll say goodbye to the fans in Cardiff.

Audioboxer

Bale and James really going to Man United?

I'd say neither. Every transfer window the papers write everyone is going to United. Most players snub any deals and/or use the media drama to sign new contracts.

If United fail to reach the Champions League you can bet anyone signing is doing so just to fleece United of money. Zlatans contract leak if true is hilarious. As much as he's bagged a load of goals it's yet again United spending stupid money to try and buy success. Which hasn't worked that great for a while now.

There's so much talent across Europe and it's pretty telling most of it will stay clear of United, and only those after stupid money sign. I mean, Mourinho has a better chance of attracting players who genuinely want to play for the club than Moyes or LvG, but we still see faces around for the money. To be fair that is happening to other rich clubs these days as well. Football.

Also, Hull, what a weak ass effort.

TimmmV

Sorry to bring politics into this thread, but seeing teams from 3 places that heavily voted to leave the EU get relegated (assuming Hull don't recover obviously) is giving me some good schadenfreude

Also, am really dreading the West Ham game later. Even if Liverpool manage to win the next two games, there really isnt any excuse doing it by the skin of their teeth vs Arsenal.

Regardless of what happens, the squad needs to be much larger next season, this squad wont be competing for the top 4 again with added European football too

Coutinho Studge Origi front three, unless the formation is getting jigged for the lack of Firminho. Lallana starting.

I really hope we can do this. This squad can, the players just need to turn up.

Audioboxer

Have you been watching Liverpool for the past few months? Barely any attacking threat without Manè.

Barely any attacking threat can still be a United draw or 1-0 win. Your defence collapsing will almost certainly be a loss.

1 point would be a bit of a disaster given Arsenal face Sunderland next. However that Everton game is going to be rough for them. You guys should destroy Middlesborough.

A loss today, however, is catastrophic.

CrayToes

Barely any attacking threat can still be a United draw or 1-0 win. Your defence collapsing will almost certainly be a loss.

1 point would be a bit of a disaster given Arsenal face Sunderland next. However that Everton game is going to be rough for them.

A loss today is catastrophic.

Arsenal will get 6 points from 6. Everton will roll over to give Liverpool the middle finger. Liverpool need to win their last 2 games.

King_Moc

Banned
It's never the Liverpool attack you have to worry about showing up, it's whether the defence feels like showing up.

Although Firmino is a big miss.

Hey now, Moreno is on the bench.

Disagree strongly! We routinely get 60% possession and more yet draw games. We're terrible at breaking teams down.

Edit: lol at the idea of the Everton game being rough for Arsenal.

Audioboxer

Hull proper shat it losing 2-0 at home to Sunderland.

3-0. Bye!

Kind of gutted there is little last game of the season drama at the top or bottom, it's all decided. I guess Arsenal/Liverpool top 4 finish is the excitement we get. Hope Liverpool do it.

Top Bottom