• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Meier

Have tickets to see the derby in Houston on 7/20 and then the game vs Spurs in Nashville 9 days later. Cannot wait! Big group of supporters from Austin, Dallas and others going to both matches.

Jarnet87

Sanches leaving Bayern

Why not just loan him for a season.

Along with the Griezmann story there was rumors of United offering "a deal too good to refuse" for Bernardo Silva, which sounds to me like paying the release clause lol. Haven't watched Monaco but they are the hot team to raid this Summer.

DBT85

Along with the Griezmann story there was rumors of United offering "a deal too good to refuse" for Bernardo Silva, which sounds to me like paying the release clause lol. Haven't watched Monaco but they are the hot team to raid this Summer.

Hopefully whatever business we do, it's done early.

RocknRola

Sanches leaving Bayern

Shame. He has talent, but likely needs a coach/team that allows him fail without getting benched for the rest of the season. Once he gets going, he can easily become a key player for his team.

Perhaps a loan to a smaller club in the same league or a different league would be the best move for both parties (not sure Bayern can get the price they payed for him right now either).

NHale

Spanish and Portuguese media are saying that Casillas isn't staying at FC Porto and he has an offer from Liverpool that currently is the preferential pick for him. Get ready for those unbelievable saves mixed with incredible mistakes and poor aerial goalkeeping.

DP but worth it. Silly season has begun!

Griezmann wants to join United but he also wants to play Champions League. Atletico Madrid can't do anything if United goes and pays his release clause even if Atletico can't sign new players this summer. They have a deal in place for Lacazzette but they need UEFA to lift their ban first (which everyone believes they will do).

If United wins Wednesday they will get Griezmann. Canal Plus is saying that United has told Monaco that they will activate their preferential clause to acquire Bernardo Silva this summer as well. If James Rodriguez is coming as well, then I don't see how United has space for Mata and/or Martial for next year. I can't really see how Mourinho would want both Bernardo Silva and James. Even if Bernardo Silva can play as a left winger and James as a number 10. Also they are some reports floating around here in the media, that United want Matic and Chelsea would be willing to sell him if they sign Bakayoko from Monaco.

United doesn't need to pay the release clause because when they made the deal for Martial, Monaco decided to sweeten the deal by giving United a preferential clause for Bernardo Silva. So United can buy him for 60M€ (less than his release clause) or have the rights to match any offer that Monaco agrees to sell him if it is less than 60M€. At least that is what was reported here in Portugal via Bernardo Silva's agent a couple of months ago.

Pachimari

I just can't see Griezmann leaving Atletico. He really appreciates everything Simeone has done for him and I think he would like to fight for him in the Champions League. They have a strong squad so it's not like they can't fight for it either. And Atletico almost can't risk losing any strikers. Lacazette shouldn't act as a replacement to Griezmann, he should be there to create a partnership with him. Gameiro haven't lived up to the expectations and Torres is Torres.

Then again, Manchester has a lot of history and many attractive things to them, so if an offer comes it's probably too not something one would reject.

It's better for Atletico if they can hold on to him. They are losing Koke already; another high profile player.

Sciel

ManU needs to Win the Europa league so that 6 can become a 8.

Hum.. lets imagine Griezmann and Rashford on the front Miki behind them , Rooney in China , Lingard at Newcastle. Do it Mou do it
Add Fellaini in Turkey to that and it'll be droolworthy.

ElyrionX

Have to agree with all that. Bravo was a joke this year so that didn't help, and Stone was getting so much pressure put on him with some noob errors not helping either.

Sane has good great whenever I've seen you play. Though that tat he got is shameful lol.

As for Manchester United, I think most of the fans expected us to do more than 6th in the PL this year, I sure did. Our final league position isn't good enough which is entirely down to too many draws, caused solely because we can't score goals despite creating a dozen chances. This is probably the thing Mou needs to fix most urgently next season, alongside scoring goals at home. With a goal in some of those draws, we are suddenly much better off, and it's not like we didn't have the shots at goal.

That said however, we won a trophy already which is good for the players and we might yet win another which is great for them and gets us into CL groups which means no pesky qualifying games. Mou has bleated a bit too much for my liking about the amount of games, that comes with doing well and he chose to deplete his squad by letting players go and not using enough of the younger players the team has that could have helped out from time to time.

Summer business is going to be big numbers I'm sure so I'm excited to see what happens. Just as important though is going to be what happens with De Gea (hope if he does go its for bonkers money even though we don't need it), as well as Rooney. Januzaj will probably be let go after a poor year in a poor team, but Andreas Pereira has had a great loan at Grenada so I really hope he gets a shot next year or gets a PL loan.

I think the 4 players that came in have all done well to varying degrees. Pogba being the headline megabucks transfer always meant he was going to be under intense scrutiny and get more criticism than had he been £40m, even though a player doesn't set the fee. There have been flashes of brilliance from him this season, and a little more luck with the woodwork and his and the teams fortunes would look much better. He's also been hampered at times I think with Mou trying to find his formation and team and so hasn't regularly had the same kind of position that he largely played with Juve, later in the season with a Carrick, Herrera, Pogba midfield he and the team looked better. With all that said however, a little more than I'd like he's seemed ghosted out of a game, and will give the ball away far too easily on 5-10 yard passes, but yet will then hold off 3 players and play a worldie assist. Next season could be huge for him.

Zlatan is Zlatan, scored a lot of goals and at important times so a shame to see him injured and his off pitch persona has been as important as his on pitch, however, his conversion rate compared to Kane and Lukaku has been poor. He spurned far more chances than I expected and still scored a good amount, played a LOT and rarely looked like he was flagging. Trying to get him and Rooney on the pitch was difficult though and Zlatan being #1 on the team sheet meant Rashford and Martial have had to juggle the left wing between them a lot. Hoping he comes through his injury and sticks around, though wouldn't be surprised if he goes elsewhere to play every week.

Miki has a rough start and then finally go going and looked great. It's clear he has the ability, flagged a little toward the end of the season, but that could be a conditioning thing, or Jose constantly changing the lineup or who knows. Looking forward to seeing him next year.

The top of the 4 signings has to be Bailly though, most including me had never heard of the guy, hes only 23 and Jose drops him in to a back 4 that's not looked that impressive for a few years and he shone. Fast, powerful, good with the ball, exactly what we needed. A real shame he won't be in the final on Wendesday.

If we win on Wednesday then I'll be mildly satisfied, for the first season since Moyes I've been excited to watch us every week, hoping that eventually they'll work out where the net is and hammer someone as it's all there ready to go.

If we don't win on Wednesday against a young, cheap, inexperienced side after all Joses bleating and resting players for the last 2 weeks, I'll be really quite annoyed. I still edge toward agreeing with his decision to back the EL over the PL with 4 games to go though.

Many words lol.

Mou's biggest mistake was fielding full strength teams for the goddamn League Cup. I'd take a top four finish over the League Cup any day. His rotation policy is basically non-existent and youth should have been given chances when we were stretched thin.

Also, I swear to god there is a clause in Rooney's contract that guarantees him a minimum number of games per season.

Spanish and Portuguese media are saying that Casillas isn't staying at FC Porto and he has an offer from Liverpool that currently is the preferential pick for him. Get ready for those unbelievable saves mixed with incredible mistakes and poor aerial goalkeeping.

But... We already have that. Tbh I wouldn't believe any links for keepers for us, Mignolet has been solid lately and we know Karius has talent from his time in the Bundesliga. Defense is the more pressing issue.

DKehoe

Intentionally or not, Griezmann seems to be burning bridges at Atletico. It's surprising to see these kinds of comments when there's nothing official in place and just the other day he was saying it would be more likely he would stay.

(Quotes are translated from an interview with L'equipe that can be found here )

NHale

Intentionally or not, Griezmann seems to be burning bridges at Atletico. It's surprising to see these kinds of comments when there's nothing official in place and just the other day he was saying it would be more likely he would stay.

(Quotes are translated from an interview with L'equipe that can be found here )

I've reached a point where playing nice football and scoring goals isn't enough. Winning titles, that's what I'm looking for"

So he's ready to play terrible football and score 1 goal per game? He's coming to United guaranteed then.

It seems the most solid links so far for Man United are indeed Griezmann and Bernardo Silva. Multiple sources are saying now that they are done deals if United wins Wednesday. Also James if we believe Colombia newspapers... but that one baffles me because James is the opposite of what Mourinho requires from a midfield player. Bernardo Silva for a creative player actually defend and he often finishes games with more recoveries than lost balls which absolutely gives Mourinho a massive orgasm. James not so much.

But then you think Griezmann for €100M, Bernardo Silva for €60M, James for €60M-€75M(according to Marca) and then would still need at least a defensive midfielder to try to compete next year. Who are they going to sell to recoup some of that money?!? Martial market couldn't be lower right now, Mata can be a target to other English teams and some say Barça and Atletico could want him for a relatively cheap price, but then what? Can United really spend more than €250M without making a massive sale?

Fellaini for China for €150M seems a fair price if you ask me though.

Sane has good great whenever I've seen you play. Though that tat he got is shameful lol.

I had no idea what you were talking about at first so had to look it up.

DAXN6YXU0AETX_7.jpg:small

SnoopyWindingGeese-size_restricted.gif

Meier

The most amusing aspect of this is that Monaco knocked them out and his goal was utterly meaningless. Kids, eh?

I mean, it obviously wasn't meaningless to him.

Not confirmed, but very likely. Our club is a mess internally right now.

He looked very out of sorts and just doesn't seem like he'll be able to play at the level Bayern will want (at least in their system) in the next few years. A loan might be a good idea, but it's probably better to just get their money back and move on -- there is no shortage of quality players who want to move to Bayern. A lot of his fee was conditional so it shouldn't be hard to get back what they paid.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Bournemouth can now afford to pay someone £130,000 a week. Fucking Bournemouth.

Jesus Christ!

yeah but that's a good way of spinning out of control. You start giving people that and then everyone wants it and it's impossible to sign new players because they want even more.

teams like Bournmouth would do well to invest the money in infrastructure and youth.

MoodyFog

Great to see all these offensive players linked to United..

But we also need a central defender, a leftback and a defensive midfielder..

Beefy

@TariqPanja
Real Madrid confirm they have signed 16-yr-old Brazilian forward Vinicius Jnr from Flamengo. He'll be loaned back. Total cost 45m euros!

Pachimari

@TariqPanja
Real Madrid confirm they have signed 16-yr-old Brazilian forward Vinicius Jnr from Flamengo. He'll be loaned back. Total cost 45m euros!

ZOkRoW8.jpg

LET A NEW DAWN BEGIN!

But no, I can't get excited at this point, but who knows how he will grow over the next year or two at Flamengo. I wish him all the best for sure.

tim.mbp

I remember the good ol' days when that sum of money was ridiculous for any one player.

The money in the game these days is utterly ridiculous. I wonder if, and when, it'll all come crashing down. I'd love to see to be perfectly honest.

Even worse ESPN is saying 45m to Flamengo plus 17m to "other parties".

Fdkn

Florentino has gone mental

A random kid that didn't even get to the first team until a few weeks ago is now worth 45+ million because he is from Brazil.

Madness.

DBT85

But then you think Griezmann for €100M, Bernardo Silva for €60M, James for €60M-€75M(according to Marca) and then would still need at least a defensive midfielder to try to compete next year. Who are they going to sell to recoup some of that money?!? Martial market couldn't be lower right now, Mata can be a target to other English teams and some say Barça and Atletico could want him for a relatively cheap price, but then what? Can United really spend more than €250M without making a massive sale?

Fellaini for China for €150M seems a fair price if you ask me though.

I thin the club can spend that kind of money without selling anyone, but I think we'll end up selling someone. De Gea could possibly go (again, hopefully for bonkers cash for no reason other than to make Real pay) so would also need replacing as I can't see Jose sticking with the other two as his main and backup.

Rooney may well go for money if its to China, but I can see us letting him go for nothing for him to go to Everton if that was going to happen, just to get him off the books, gratitude for service etc.

I can't see us getting all of James, Silva and Griezmann, but only the latter two look a little more likely. I just don't know where all 3 would play. Martial probably won't go just yet, Mata might, Rashford needs games and has shown that he can play and give Jose what he wants. But there is also Miki to squeeze in somewhere. The same old problem that we seem to have is too many 10s.

Looking forward to whatever happens, but if we get 2 of those 3 then at least Mata and Rooney have got to be off.

If it really is Griezman for €100, Silva for €60, lets say the Matic rumours are real at £30m, James will be a swap with De Gea if anything at all, but then they need to buy another GK, a CB and probably a LB.

And then you have Woodward saying in the conference call that there will be less churn lol.

Either way I think Rooney, Fellani and one of Smalling/Jones will be on the way out, possibly Darmian or Shaw too.

I had no idea what you were talking about at first so had to look it up.

DAXN6YXU0AETX_7.jpg:small

SnoopyWindingGeese-size_restricted.gif

The most amusing aspect of this is that Monaco knocked them out and his goal was utterly meaningless. Kids, eh?

Stolen from Redcafe but sums it up for me lol.
Person: "What's that tattoo of?"
Sane: "It's of me celebrating a goal in the Champions League."
Person: "Really? Was it the winning goal?"
Sane: "No, someone else scored before me but I thought it was a pretty cool moment."
Person: "What kind of goal was it?"
Sane: "A tap-in."
Person: "Who was it against?"
Sane: "Monaco."
Person: "Oh. At least it was in the final, right?"
Sane: "No."
Person: "Semi final?"
Sane: "No..."
Person: "Quarter final?"
Sane: "No. Last 16."
Person: "Ah. I'm guessing you made it to the quarters though, right?"
Sane: "Nah, we lost the second leg."

I remember the good ol' days when that sum of money was ridiculous for any one player.

The money in the game these days is utterly ridiculous. I wonder if, and when, it'll all come crashing down. I'd love to see to be perfectly honest.

Serious things need to happen for it to crumble. The PL teams get this much money because of the TV deals which are only growing more popular the world over. For BT and Sky to broadcast in the UK alone teams get something daft like £10m per match that's on TV. Then you've got all the other deals worldwide, shirt sales, ticket sales, merch and sponsorship etc.

For it to happen in the UK we'd need a really huge downturn where a lot less people are paying for Sky and buying the teams assorted tat.

Bad match today from Crystal Palace, but considering the uphill battle we put us in, 14th place and victories over Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool must be something that we can be okay with.

But I long for a season where we're descent over both halfs of it, and skip this part we're we shoot ourselves in the foot.

Oh, we're not doing that this season either?

tumblr_mlvl3eLb6Q1qib2lio1_500.gif

Top Bottom