• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Pachimari

We are coming home!

2ajzadT.jpg

DfhTrmQ.jpg

Great week for Xabi Alonso. He wins Bundesliga with Bayern, Real Madrid wins La Liga today, Liverpool and Sociedad gets Champions League and Europa League respectively.

Campeones!! First time I've seen us win a league title since I've been watching this team and football in general! So happy for this team and everyone involved!

Tubie

Cibeles

AS will be showing the whole celebration live (keep in mind this is gonna take hours before the players even get there lol).

I think ESPN Deportes too if you're in the US.

CrayToes

I don't see United in it myself. Chelsea, Tottenham, City, Liverpool and Arsenal all have better squads and all will improve over the transfer window and with the exception of Arsenal they all look to build on what they developed this season. United not only need to go from not losing games but they also need to transition to winning and throwing money at it won't necessarily solve that problem.

Tottenham have Wembley which could be a bit of a problem but that is a quality squad with a quality manager so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

It pains me to say it but Utd are deceptively close to being a great side. The problem they had this season is so easy to cure with their money and clout. They've got the defensive side of things nailed down so they just need one or two quality players up top to put the ball in the net.

They'll be right in the mix next season.

Tubie

Barca's biggest problem is how much their youth system seems to have declined in recent years.

Meanwhile, Madrid's youth system has improved a lot in the last 10 years.

Pachimari

I would like to post a lot of celebration photos here, but then I realize it'll just be flooded in here, so I'm gonna hold back lol. It's been a fantastic season. :)

Syder

The FA Cup Final feels like a formality at this point. What chance do Arsenal have? Even less now that Koscielny won't be there.

Can't even say Chelsea might be on the beach because they turned up and scored multiple goals after confirming the title.

Like I said before the semi-final against City, Arsenal fans will be wishing they'd lost in the semi because Chelsea are going to take them apart piece by piece.

They need to announce Wenger's contract extension before the Final because if they get thumped next week then the backlash to the new contract will be even worse.

DBT85

embarrassing for everyone involved. I don't think we get anything as blatant in the PL (at least no on a regular basis) but I'm glad they're going to start handing out bans for this now.

But how long do you ban for, for these two incidents that are hilariously blatant dives I'd be fine with a 10 game ban but I know the FA won't be that harsh. I wouldn't be surprised to see it be nothing more than 3 games.

Barca's biggest problem is how much their youth system seems to have declined in recent years.

Meanwhile, Madrid's youth system has improved a lot in the last 10 years.

I watched a football show on TV yesterday, there's a segment comparing how many goals Spanish players made in their respective clubs:

Madrid: 30~ish goals
Barca: 12 goals
Chelsea: 40 goals

Edit: I think this is their source: The Sun

Nope. Only way it would have happened is if Leicester won the CL and United won Europa. PL can have 5 teams in the CL.
Ah I remember when we finished 6th I believe it was a few seasons back and won the Europa League we took Spud's place I guess the rule has changed since then

Ah I remember when we finished 6th I believe it was a few seasons back and won the Europa League we took Spud's place I guess the rule has changed since then

That was when you won the CL, the Europa League winner has only been granted a CL spot through it for the last few seasons :)

Basically if you win the EL and don't qualify through your league standing, the country gets a bonus spot

If you win the CL and don't qualify through your league standing, the CL winner takes the spot of the team that finished 4th in the league (in England, as we get 4 spots through the league)

I'm not even surprised. Liga refs are shit, moreso when they ref Barca, they always get the calls.

flo.png

RocknRola

If Barça doesnt get bench depth for the next season(s) and RM keeps most of the current squad, ir feels like they'll be able to win a couple more leagues in the near future.

Or Alavés become the new Leicester. Either seem likely :p

Eating crow over Madrid win, but very happy for that group, true fighters. They deserve it.

That said, I don't think I have ever seen a title winning side with a leakier defense. Navas had to be on God mode to save this game, as he did in various instances across the season. This whole season has really challenged the old saying that good defense wins championships.

Nice to see Liverpool back in the CL.

FA Cup final will likely be painful for Arsenal fans.

Pachimari

Our defense is great on paper, but there's been a lot of injuries in central defense this season unfortunately. With Pepe leaving, we could call back Jesus Vallejo but he had a big injury this season as well. With Vallejo we would also have three young defenders in Nacho, Varane and Vallejo.

Our defense is great on paper, but there's been a lot of injuries in central defense this season unfortunately. With Pepe leaving, we could call back Jesus Vallejo but he had a big injury this season as well. With Vallejo we would also have three young defenders in Nacho, Varane and Vallejo.

Injuries were also a huge factor in losing the league during Ancelotti's second season, before he was fired. His midfield was fucked. This is why teams like Madrid need to be very careful when selling players on the bench.

That was when you won the CL, the Europa League winner has only been granted a CL spot through it for the last few seasons :)

Basically if you win the EL and don't qualify through your league standing, the country gets a bonus spot

If you win the CL and don't qualify through your league standing, the CL winner takes the spot of the team that finished 4th in the league (in England, as we get 4 spots through the league)

flo.png
Yes you're right I mixed up those wins because they were back to back haha

casiopao

With RM closing down the league and Juventus too, now we are going to meet up in final with no baggage carried around.

Also zero player being suspended so this will be a full power team vs full power team. Damn it is scary lol. RM final record is just a gigantic wall to past by Juventus here.

With RM closing down the league and Juventus too, now we are going to meet up in final with no baggage carried around.

Also zero player being suspended so this will be a full power team vs full power team. Damn it is scary lol. RM final record is just a gigantic wall to past by Juventus here.

You'll be fine, they're easier to breakdown at the back than most other powerhouse teams. Just don't concede an early goal, and the game is yours.

Top Bottom