• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd keep him no matter what. What happens if Bayern come in for Mane next season or whatever, do we just sell again? If we want to win trophies we really need to start holding onto our best players otherwise this pattern will just keep repeating itself where we lose our best players just when it looks like we might start challenging for stuff again.

Good point. Bah, I'm just flip-flopping on the whole thing...

Shameful behavior by Dembélé. Very glad BVB isn't fucking around.

its stupid. Barca seems to have a lot of options at the moment that they are thinking about. Dembele isnt the only one and as great as he was last season, he is not worth 150 Million Euros. There is a good chance that Barca will not be interested for that much money and then Dembele needs to play at BVB. And if he slacks off next season his position will be worse not better.

I mean coutinho seems to be the cheaper option at the moment and coutinho certainly is better than dembele.

Sony

Nintendo
Fucking Neymar transfer further ruined the state of football transfers. Mediocre players will become unaffordable for lesser leagues like the Dutch and Belgian. On the flip side, they'll be able to sell their players for a higher price. But still, fuck.

Bubble

Neo Member
Guarantee that Chicharito will score against United against, but I still think United will win. I really want Lukaku to score today, so he can get a good start to the season. If he doesn't, expect to see a ton of people declaring a flop (as usual). Would also love to see Martial start, but Mourinho doesn't fancy him... like at all.

Dadasch

I'm glad Dortmund takes a firm stand on this matter. If Dortmund wants to be taken serious in the future this is literally the only thing they can do to avoid any harm.

Yes, there's a lot of money in play but at least everybody who gets transfered to Dortmund knows what they're dealing with.
Let him go for 130mio or so but less than that it would be ridiculous at this point. Let Dembele in total uncertainty so he can appreciate the trust Dortmund puts in him next time.

RocknRola

It's absolutely terrible and another step towards taking football away from the fans and making it more marketable. It really is a shame. Hence why I am a major advocate for fan ownership. Those are the only people you can trust not to sell out their club like Juventus did.

Eh, wasn't a particular fan of their old emblem tbh. Though I'll say that losing the bull, who is also part of coat of arms/flag of the city of Turin is a bit shortsighted.

Ideally this current emblem/symbol could/should have been used for a more casual line of clothing (like regular shirts, hats and all that stuff). I like it a lot. Hell, it even suits the main kit quite well IMO.

Also was the change made purely for commercial reasons? I know they changed it quite a bit during the last century too.

DBT85

Guarantee that Chicharito will score against United against, but I still think United will win. I really want Lukaku to score today, so he can get a good start to the season. If he doesn't, expect to see a ton of people declaring a flop (as usual). Would also love to see Martial start, but Mourinho doesn't fancy him... like at all.

Some people have already been saying Lukaku is a flop because he missed a chance against Madrid lol. There will be haters even if he nets 25 goals in 25 different games.

Some people have already been saying Lukaku is a flop because he missed a chance against Madrid lol. There will be haters even if he nets 25 goals in 25 different games.

Missing a gift of a goal is something we suffered with last season too. If we've paid big for a new striker up front and it still happening then there is a issue that needs fixing.

Ibra, Rashford and Pogba were all guilty of this last season, you'd hope our new firepower would buck the trend.

Eh, wasn't a particular fan of their old emblem tbh. Though I'll say that losing the bull, who is also part of coat of arms/flag of the city of Turin is a bit shortsighted.

Ideally this current emblem/symbol could/should have been used for a more casual line of clothing (like regular shirts, hats and all that stuff). I like it a lot. Hell, it even suits the main kit quite well IMO.

Also was the change made purely for commercial reasons? I know they changed it quite a bit during the last century too.

There's nothing wrong with changing the logo, as long as it's in good taste and retains the core elements, in this case the link with the city of Turin and the club colours. I think it's quite clear the last change is the most extreme one.

Full%2BJuventus%2BLogo%2BHistory%2BRevealed%2B%25282%2529.jpg

Sony

Nintendo
There's nothing wrong with changing the logo, as long as it's in good taste and retains the core elements, in this case the link with the city of Turin and the club colours. I think it's quite clear the last change is the most extreme one.

The 7th change is way more extreme.

DBT85

Missing a gift of a goal is something we suffered with last season too. If we've paid big for a new striker up front and it still happening then there is a issue that needs fixing.

Ibra, Rashford and Pogba were all guilty of this last season, you'd hope our new firepower would buck the trend.

No player buries every single chance. Here is the list I did a few weeks ago from last season. League and Europe only.

It was a bad miss, and it won't be the last from any of the top players. Morata and Corrtois missed the whole goal from the penalty spot in the charity shield. Kane, Alli, Ronaldo, Messi are going to miss some chances. Of course we're all going to say "should have scored that" but if they did every game would have 15 goals lol.

For shits and giggles, the conversion rates for some of players last season. This is their league and European stats only, no domestic cups.

Shots/goals
Bas Dost 98/35 = 35.7%
Schick 43/11 = 25.5%
Kane 130/31 = 23.8%
Lukaku 110/25 = 22.7%
Suarez 141/32 = 22.6%
Messi 217/48 = 22.1%
Lewa 179/38 = 21.2%
Sanchez 144/27 = 18.7%
Costa 111/20 = 18%
Higuain 176/29 = 16.4%
Aguero 160/25 = 15.6%
CR7 231/35 = 15.1%
Benzema 106/16 = 15%
Zlatan 152/22 = 14.4%
Neymar 125/17 = 13.6%
Rppney 59/7 = 11.8%
Welbeck 19/2 = 10.5%
Bale 86/9 = 10.4%

Dadasch

Oh, wrong thread...

CR7 231/35 = 15.1%
Benzema 106/16 = 15%
LOL
I seriously pity Benzema sometimes. Didn't think very highly of him at the start but he grew on me while being at Madrid. I still think he is one of the best strikers today but holy shit, he didn't even have half the shot attempts Ronaldo had...
Such a huge egomaniac.

RocknRola

The 7th change is pretty hardcore too :p Though it's the bull itself, so perhaps fans took it better, dunno.

I can see why fans don't like it and wouldn't be surprised if they reverse it after a while, but from the outside in I like the new version.

Oh, wrong thread...

LOL
I seriously pity Benzema sometimes. Didn't think very highly of him at the start but he grew on me while being at Madrid. I still think he is one of the best strikers today but holy shit, he didn't even have half the shot attempts Ronaldo had...
Such a huge egomaniac.

I guess Messi is a huge egomaniac too, since you know...

Suarez 141/32 = 22.6%
Messi 217/48 = 22.1%

No player buries every single chance. Here is the list I did a few weeks ago from last season. League and Europe only.

And I'm not asking them to.

When there is a such a gulf in % like you've posted and you miss an absolute sitter in a critical match it is no good. Stats, ratios and whataboutism means sod all when our striking success in genuine-goal scoring chances has been transport back to last season with two flopped shots in the game against Real.

Oh, wrong thread...

LOL
Such a huge egomaniac.
CR7 is a CF now, after all.

jts

...hate me...
Oh, wrong thread...

LOL
Such a huge egomaniac.
Why would be a huge egomaniac for taking shots especially if he has a success rate comparable to Benzema at double the attempts?

Obviously big part of Ronaldo's (and Real Madrid's) success is his ability to take shots and create chances out of nowhere, which in turn generates a lot of goals even without a top conversion rate. It's no coincidence that only him and Messi are over 200.

Dadasch

I guess Messi is a huge egomaniac too, since you know...
Well, a little less...at least?
Why would be a huge egomaniac for taking shots especially if he has a success rate comparable to Benzema at double the attempts?

Obviously big part of Ronaldo's (and Real Madrid's) success is his ability to take shots and create chances out of nowhere, which in turn generates a lot of goals even without a top conversion rate. It's no coincidence that only him and Messi are over 200.
You're right but he still takes too many shots. If he would be a better team player he would've less useless shot attempts, better conversion rate and he'd be even more useful for his team through creating chances for his teammates.
He chooses not to be a teamplayer and he certainly doesn't have to be one (his career is definitely good enough) but that doesn't change my view of him as an egomaniac.

casiopao

Disagree. I don't like it but at least there is still some link with the city visible. The current logo might as well be for a new trendy clothing store. Which is what they're going for, I guess.

They are promoting the new logo on Milan there which is during a fashion event...soooo.(And of course they need more muney lol. Juventus is now top of the team after surviving Farsopoli. With Serie A being so shit except for Juventus, they will need as much muney as possible to face head on with EPL muney and the top 3 Team now.)

Well, at least this new J logo is pleasing to the eyes of some casual fans i see. I have seen rising number of Juventus Black and White uniform lol.

It's absolutely terrible and another step towards taking football away from the fans and making it more marketable. It really is a shame. Hence why I am a major advocate for fan ownership. Those are the only people you can trust not to sell out their club like Juventus did.

Lol. Juventus had been own by Agnelli family for almost a century. They had been with us together for all the high and lows moment. Even when the club is facing controversy like the Farsopoli. Fan ownership is also not a good solution as it also can be damn corrupt. Just see how Barcelona is doing right now there.

As long as Elkann stays the hell away from Bianconeri and let Andrea and Nedved handle the club to be self sustainable, i would be damn happy.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Spurs XI vs. Newcastle: Lloris; Walker-Peters, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Davies; Dier, Dembele; Sissoko, Eriksen, Dele Alli; Kane.

Newcastle XI vs. Spurs: Elliot; Manquillo, Clark, Lejuene, Dummett; Ritchie, Hayden, Shelvey, Atsu; Perez, Gayle.

Well, a little less...at least?

You're right but he still takes too many shots. If he would be a better team player he would've less useless shot attempts, better conversion rate and he'd be even more useful for his team through creating chances for his teammates.
He chooses not to be a teamplayer and he certainly doesn't have to be one (his career is definitely good enough) but that doesn't change my view of him as an egomaniac.

He does create chances, he delivers key passes, and he combines excellently with the left backs to put them in crossing positions.

He's effective at his job. Period.

Also, for the record, if Benz was half as effective as other top strikers at ball retention, positioning, and taking his chances, his shot count would be MUCH higher.

TheChamp

Is it wrong to already want Steve Bruce gone... clearly his dinosaur tactics are not working and he's not the man to lead us anywhere near promotion

Ian Doyle‏@IanDoyleSport 2m

FACT: The last two times #LFC drew their opening league game 3-3, the opponents were relegated (Middlesbrough 1996-97, Norwich 1984-85).

Sorry Watford.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Is it wrong to already want Steve Bruce gone... clearly his dinosaur tactics are not working and he's not the man to lead us anywhere near promotion

don't think it's ever wrong to want steve bruce gone unless you run a kebab shop.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Newcastle v Spurs
Manchester United v West Ham
Barça v Real Madrid
PSG v Guingamp

What a day

(Watching a US stream, WTF are these adverts lmfao, they're advertising Otessler or something and it goes on a 2 minute rant about all its side effects, including depression)

Eskiboy

I really wanted it to work for him and us. We seem to be in the same cycle of sacking and hiring managers. I just want some stability and for us to give a few teams a right smashing.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Newcastle v Spurs
Manchester United v West Ham
Barça v Real Madrid
PSG v Guingamp

What a day

That's also my list plus a bit of Juventus-Lazio. I guess I will watch first 15 minutes of than then switch to PSG - Guingamp then another 15 minutes of Juventus-Lazio then Barca-Real. Quite a party.

casiopao

That's also my list plus a bit of Juventus-Lazio. I guess I will watch first 15 minutes of than then switch to PSG - Guingamp then another 15 minutes of Juventus-Lazio then Barca-Real. Quite a party.

Juventus vs Lazio is going to be lit as finally Juventus and Serie A is going to be starting baby.^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom