• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

WriterGK

Considering Paulinho costs €40M, I think €45M for William Carvalho would still be a reasonable fee. Sporting has been caught with a less than stellar market for him and they need to sell him now. I'm sure they had a much bigger market for him after last year's Euro.

I was wondering. Is this the same Paulinho that used to play for Spurs? If so, I would rather clubs go for Carvalho......

Kyoufu

Asensio's goal was so hype. I'm more of a Barca guy than a Madridista but damn, that was hot stuff.

Can't wait for PSG to sign him.

Our Hoffenheim squad doesn't have Studge or Coutinho. Honestly would be tempted to give Grujic a run out for creativity purposes. We need to take this game by the horns.

Barca will need to get Paulinho signed asap if we want any chance of winning the leg on Wednesday.

Paulinho is trash. Bartomeu had to be doing coke when he decided he was a good signing.

Josep Maria Bartomeu Floreta is a partner and CEO at ADELTE Group which is into designing, manufacturing, supplying and maintaining airports, seaports and road transport operations.

Apparently, ADELTE Group is expanding into China and bidding on projects like the Ocean Flower Island being built by the Evergrande group which also happens to be the parent organisation of—you guessed it—Guangzhou. Guangzhou was Paulinhos club up until now.

Hes using this transfer for personal gains.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Not really a surprise but Costa wants to go back to Atletico.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40919553

who's leaving first: Costa or Conte?

Still bewildered on why they want rid of him?

Same as to why Costa wants out?

I have a feeling Bayern will be the 2013 Dortmund of 2017s Champions League.

The friendly and charismatic underdog, everyone will be rooting for, in this tournament full of cunts and clubs owned by countries.

I like Bayern, but I'll be rooting for Juventus again for Buffon

So what do people think about Lukaku? I said in the offseason thread that he was worth 100m pounds. Given the prices being asked of players the past few weeks, 75m looks like a bargain.

People thought I was nuts in the offseason thread.

Heck Swansea want 50m for Sigurdson and he is not a 50m player. He is WORTH that to Swansea because they'll probably get relegated if he goes and doesn't get replaced.

In these inflated prices? Yeah, probably worth it.

20m, if you think of it like that

Juve defeat over Lazio is depressing.

Why Barzagli is in RB is baffling.
Why Mandzukic still on wing is baffling.
Why Khedira over Marchisio is baffling.
Why Benatia over Rugani is baffling.

Hope this defeat will wake Allegri there as playing all the players out of position is never a good idea.

Cuadrado was terrible too

Portuguese newspapers are reporting today that Sporting increased their demands for William Carvalho.

They are now asking West Ham for €38M + €5M easy add-ons and more money paid upfront. The deal that was "agreed" last week was for €35M but they were still debating about the amount of money being paid upfront by West Ham.

The rumors that Sporting is betting on some top team like Arsenal or Chelsea joining the mix for him which would drive up the price. Remember last year they said to Arsenal that if they wanted him, they would have to pay €45M and a big bunch of it had to be upfront (his release clause).

I'm still going to bet the deal gets done this week for the initial terms.

imo, he's not worth that

Can't see a big club coming in for him either

Lashley

d-a-rby-darbylfc-just-saw-a-kid-in-a-chelsea-scarf-3880394.png

😂😂😂😂😂

Tosyn_88

Ummm you make it sound like this is something the clubs can control.

Even Manchester United at its peak cannot hold on to Cristiano Ronaldo, what hope do the other clubs have? CR7 won the Ballon d'or and the CL and the EPL with United and was playing for the greatest manager of all time and still he could not resist when Real came knocking.

There comes a point when you have to buck the trend. Are you seriously telling me all main EPL clubs exist to service the Spanish two??

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
There comes a point when you have to buck the trend. Are you seriously telling me all main EPL clubs exist to service the Spanish two??

Until EPL clubs start performing constantly well in CL, yes. Winning EPL is not the biggest achievement a player can dream about.

Also, playing for Real Madrid or Barcelona is a dream of many.

Most important thing when it comes to Asensio's development is hype and ego management:

Hype

- Fans pushing hard to have him start every game, raising expectations and disrupting a perfectly functional rotation system

- When he inevitably has his bad games, fans will apply their short term memories and call him "useless"

Ego

- Press raises him up against every other starter, risking disruption in the dressing room and with the coach

- Agent gets thirsty, flirts with other clubs, and whispers to Asensio about being the star of his team

Worth noting that Spanish players in La Liga are far less prone to hype backfiring, as opposed to a Bale or Neymar where a few mistakes undo all previous exploits.

Lashley

rseTF0g.png

giphy.gif

When you realise that Paulinho is actually Barcelona's 4th most expensive signing of all time..

Like, seriously Barca?

https://twitter.com/davidjaca/status/897058230542770177

A thread about the signing, saying he'll most likely not be anywhere near as bad as people think - Which is likely true

Barcelona have announced the signing of Paulinho from Guangzhou Evergrande for €40m (£36m), with the Brazil midfielder set to be unveiled this week.

A statement from Barça on Monday confirmed that deal with the Chinese Super League side has been agreed for the former Tottenham player, with Ernesto Valverde's side paying his release clause in full. The 29-year-old, who left White Hart Lane in 2015 for just €14m having played 45 Premier League games for Spurs, will be presented at the Camp Nou on Thursday.

His move, which is a record fee received by a Chinese club, had earlier been confirmed by Evergrande's coach Luiz Felipe Scolari.
”Losing Paulinho is a loss for Evergrande, but it is a good thing for Chinese football," he said. ”It proves that the world's leading clubs are paying attention to the Chinese Super League."

Dortmund tell Barca time is running out for Dembele

Meanwhile, Borussia Dortmund's chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke has warned Barcelona that time is running out in their bid to sign Ousmane Dembélé. Dortmund rejected a bid of €100m last week for the France forward, who was then suspended by the club after failing to turn up for training on Thursday.

After Saturday's German Cup victory against FC Rielasingen-Arlen , sporting director Michael Zorc confirmed that suspension would remain in place until further notice, with Watzke telling German magazine Kicker on Monday that the 20-year-old could also miss the opening Bundesliga matches against Wolfsburg on Saturday and Hertha Berlin on 26 August – five days before the transfer window shuts. ”The time horizon is enough for two games," he said.

It is understood that Dembélé has not spoken to any Dortmund officials since attending the club's pre-season photoshoot on Wednesday – a stance that has infuriated Watzke. He has been offered a lucrative new contract extension in a bid to keep him at the club he joined last summer from Rennes but remains determined to move to La Liga, with Barcelona weighing up whether to return with an improved bid.

With Rennes due up to 25% from any fee after inserting a sell-on clause, Dortmund have demanded up to €150m for a player they signed for a 10th of that price just 12 months ago. They are believed to be willing to resist any offers which do not meet their asking price, with Dembélé facing a potential further suspension if he fails to show up for training this week.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Worth noting that Spanish players in La Liga are far less prone to hype backfiring, as opposed to a Bale or Neymar where a few mistakes undo all previous exploits.

I was about to write something like this after reading through your post up to this, but you did it already. Spanish players get +2 at good will and +2 at patience with the fans by default.

Lashley

Any Utd fan sad about Perisic?

Apparently Inter "isn’t a supermarket anymore"

It’s not the first time Italian newspapers have reported Inter are ready to offer Ivan Perisic a new contract to ensure he doesn’t end up at Manchester United, yet, on Monday, it makes a lot more sense than it ever did.

The reason behind this is the Red Devils’ current reluctance to meet the Serie A side’s asking price, seemingly out of principle more than anything else, and their insistence Anthony Martial, who scored his first goal of the season against West Ham on Sunday, isn’t available on loan.

Because of all this, Ivan Perisic appears to have come round to the idea of staying at the San Siro for at least another year, and Inter are ready to reward him with a very generous pay rise as a thank you.

Gazzetta dello Sport explain the Italians will offer him a one-year extension, taking his contract until 2021, that will see his salary go from €3m/year to €5m/year, putting him close to Mauro Icardi, the club’s best paid player.

During Manchester United’s dilly dallying, Luciano Spalletti has managed to convince the 28-year-old of Inter’s project for the future, ‘making him feel even more important than he already was’.

Furthermore, Perisic is said to have realised that ‘dragging his feet’ (and disappearing from team photos) wouldn’t achieve anything, as the Serie A side ‘isn’t a supermarket anymore’, but a club set on returning to the Champions League and an ambitious future.

Of course, until the player signs the new deal, anything is possible, and Manchester United could still get their man if they throw €55m at Inter, but it certainly seems that as soon as pen is put to paper over at the San Siro, it really is game over for José Mourinho.

Lashley

Deportivo increase their offer for Perez, and we've...Rejected it?

12m euros not enough apparently

Caught up with the highlights on MOTD2 last night and, assuming the highlights were honest, Man United looked pretty damn good. I have a feeling Matic might turn out to be their most important player this season.

Jerry

The thing is, Paulinho is actually decent.

He just didn't fit in with the dark times at spurs (not many did under AVB). But he can certainly do a job.

The transfer does reek of money laundering though

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So Paulinho is officially at Barca. Watch him having some fabulous game on Wednesday.

Anyhow this is the best transfer Barca did in the past years.

Dadasch

Just saw the Highlights for El Clasico...LOL at that referee, wtf was that?
Suarez like we know him, I guess that's normal but seeing a dive from Ronaldo in that situation is quite the stretch. He was definitely hindered by Umtiti in his sprint.
It was not enough for a penalty but it was definitely not a dive.

Audioboxer

Diego Costa has described his treatment by Chelsea like that of a "criminal" and confirmed he wants to join Atletico Madrid.

"Why won't they let me go if they don't want me?" he told the Daily Mail.

"I have to do what I have to do. I have to think of myself. I've been a good boy here and tried to do the right thing. My desire is to go to Atletico."

"I respect him as a great coach. He has done a good job and I can see that, but as a person, no. He is not a coach who is very close with his players. He is very distant. He doesn't possess charisma."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40919553

Looks like the Mourinho season is off to a good start with a loss, discipline problems, dressing room revolt and drama.

Costa is a dick, though.

edit: And beaten, because of course I'd be beaten in this thread when it's in offtopic instead of community.

ElyrionX

The cycle reinforces itself and is extremely hard to break. Even when United was a semi-decent force in Europe and dominated the EPL for two straight decades, it didn't break the illusion that RM and Barca are *the* team to play for. Kids growing up now watch RM and Barca dominate the CL with players like CR7 and Messi. Guess who woud they want to play for when they grow up?

The English FA needs to wake the fuck up and actually do their top teams a favour in Europe by helping a bit with the fixtures because all the money pouring into the EPL has made it a better league but has not improved the quality of the teams relative to others in Europe, especially at the top.

Kain

Paulinho lol, what an embarrassment of a club. Shady business is what Barça has become under these managers. FML

The cycle reinforces itself and is extremely hard to break. Even when United was a semi-decent force in Europe and dominated the EPL for two straight decades, it didn't break the illusion that RM and Barca are *the* team to play for. Kids growing up now watch RM and Barca dominate the CL with players like CR7 and Messi. Guess who woud they want to play for when they grow up?

The English FA needs to wake the fuck up and actually do their top teams a favour in Europe by helping a bit with the fixtures because all the money pouring into the EPL has made it a better league but has not improved the quality of the teams relative to others in Europe, especially at the top.
I agree. In the modern game there's no 'touching' the largest European teams for the EPL, its so easy to forget that Liverpool have won the CL 5 times, the same number as Barca.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom