• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sane_Man

Let's not go fully hyperbole just because of a missed penalty and a poor 20 minutes, but if anyone from Chelsea thinks Morata right now is anywhere near Diego Costa talent wise, they are in for a big nightmare.

I'm basing this on the many times I've seen him for both Real and Juve. He has a decent finish but the rest of his game is poor. The English league will be particularly hard for him.

Audioboxer

Boring because? It's still penalties, the only difference is that both teams are on equal levels regarding pressure, not on different levels because of a coin flip.

And this way both teams have the same pressure, so you should happy about it. Because if you can't handle it they shouldn't be playing right?

The new format will not get England over their penalty mishaps

It's a tale as old as time: England losing in a penalty shootout.

England bowed out of the 2017 Under-21 European Championships to Germany in heartbreaking fashion Tuesday, taking a 2-2 draw into penalty kicks before losing a 4-3 shootout. The win sends the Germans to the final. But this is not a new feeling for the English. This narrative has been played out before. In honor of England's continued failures from 12 yards away, here's a look back at some recent history from the senior team.

https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2017/06/27/england-historic-penalty-kick-shootout-woes

:p

It is what it is, I just prefer the nerves and excitement from the old format. Yes, they're always going to be there with penalties, but ABBA seems like messing around for the sake of it more than anything.

Bronx-Man

Banned
That's even worse
9e7b1c08d508b7f65e48c1a673131775.gif

T-Rex.

Banned
The ABBA thing does seem like a solution to a non-issue. But it also really doesn't seem to change much either.
I think they did some research which showed that 60% of shootouts are won by the team that takes the first kick, or something like that anyway, which is why they've changed it to make it fair.

TrueBlue

Same with the new kickoff system, change wasn't really needed, but at the same time, who does it harm?

I agree!

I think they did some research which showed that 60% of shootouts are won by the team that takes the first kick, or something like that anyway, which is why they've changed it to make it fair.

Ooh, that's an interesting way of looking at things. The team who took it first lost today.

EDIT: Or did they? I can't remember lol

T-Rex.

Banned
Ooh, that's an interesting way of looking at things. The team who took it first lost today.

EDIT: Or did they? I can't remember lol
Found the article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39798344

The idea is to stop the team going second having to always, potentially, play catch-up. The sport's rule-making body, Ifab, approved the trial after looking at the research that says the team taking the first penalty have an unfair advantage as they win 60% of shootouts.

"The hypothesis is that the player taking the second kick in the pair is under greater mental pressure," said Uefa.

RocknRola

What's this new penalty format?

In short:

1st kick – Team A 2nd kick – Team B

3rd kick – Team B 4th kick – Team A

5th kick – Team A 6th kick – Team B

7th kick – Team B 8th kick – Team A

9th kick – Team A 10th kick – Team B

11th kick – Team B 12th kick – Team A and so on...

ABBA.

Edit:

And the Netherlands just turned it around on the ladies Euro final!

Audioboxer

This is one of most "but why!?" moments this year in football lol

Someone with the technical know-how/wizardry needs to do one of those edits where the ball then zooms off into space. Put that on Twitter then reap going viral.

JOE will probably be frantically working on something right now.

Pachimari

Get the fuck in babies!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PERNILE HAARDER our fucking star man!

Solo run and a left foot. Fuck yeah!

Netherlands 2-2 Denmark

GO DENMAAAAAARK.

It came out of fucking nothing lol.

ABBA is happening because as stated by a number of folks, statistically the first team wins penalty shoot-outs. I remember reading about it in a book back in 2011 so this has been on-going experiment through the youth-levels for some time.

I'm actually not sure what the reason for kick off is. Maybe it'll make the kick-off goals in FIFA (video game) less possible haha

I thought the game was entertaining. Arsenal looked sharper, Chelsea need more signings if they want to be competitive through the season. Good to see the boys all there celebrating too (but where's Wilshere?). It was strange to not see Chambers on the bench though.

RocknRola

ABBA is happening because as stated by a number of folks, statistically the first team wins penalty shoot-outs. I remember reading about it in a book back in 2011 so this has been on-going experiment through the youth-levels for some time.

I'm actually not sure what the reason for kick off is. Maybe it'll make the kick-off goals in FIFA (video game) less possible haha

I thought the game was entertaining. Arsenal looked sharper, Chelsea need more signings if they want to be competitive through the season. Good to see the boys all there celebrating too (but where's Wilshere?). It was strange to not see Chambers on the bench though.

I've *heard* that the reason for the kick-off thing is that the vast majority of teams just play it backwards anyway, so having 2 players there is kinda pointless. Thus, now you can kick it backwards with just one pass .

Granted, this may not be the actual motive, just what I've heard from other people.

Moobabe

So...

First up - we need cover at wing back - that much has been clear for a little while - especially LWB.

Pedro looked tired - but hasn't trained as much because of the injury he suffered vs Arsenal a couple of weeks ago.

We're treading water squad size wise as well - it's been 1 out 1 in for most of the window, and then a few more out. We're very light on numbers - at WB as I said - but also in central midfield.

Morata at fault for the goal, sadly, but that's to be expected. Not quite in sync with the rest of the back line on the free kick.

Thought Pedro was a little unlucky tbf, it doesn't look good in slow motion, but they never do, just a lazy effort.

But that's him done for 3 games now, and Hazard and Bakayoko are both out. Moses out of game 1 as well.

We'll probably play Morata - Michy - Willian next week against Burnley, even if I'd like to see Boga in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom