• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
So...

First up - we need cover at wing back - that much has been clear for a little while - especially LWB.

Pedro looked tired - but hasn't trained as much because of the injury he suffered vs Arsenal a couple of weeks ago.

We're treading water squad size wise as well - it's been 1 out 1 in for most of the window, and then a few more out. We're very light on numbers - at WB as I said - but also in central midfield.

Morata at fault for the goal, sadly, but that's to be expected. Not quite in sync with the rest of the back line on the free kick.

Thought Pedro was a little unlucky tbf, it doesn't look good in slow motion, but they never do, just a lazy effort.

But that's him done for 3 games now, and Hazard and Bakayoko are both out. Moses out of game 1 as well.

We'll probably play Morata - Michy - Willian next week against Burnley, even if I'd like to see Boga in.

No suspension for the league

Beefy

Hmm isn't Madine a cunt?

Arrested for arson 2011
Arrested and charged for assaulting two fans and served 18 months in 2013
Shouted abuse at road workers in his £100k merc 2014

Yep

Hmm isn't Madine a cunt?

Arrested for arson 2011
Arrested and charged for assaulting to fans and served 18 months in 2013
Shouted abuse at road workers in his £100k merc 2014

Yep

For a second I thought you meant there was a female player in the final named Madine... Thought it sounded like something a dutch football player could be named.

Tosyn_88

While everyone keeps talking about Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs and City. I think Man Utd and Arsenal are ones to really watch out for.

It had not occur to me initially but Arsenal may have a strong case for the league, especially if they go out of the Europa early as Wenger plans.

Lacazette fits Arsenal like a glove to hand, one two passing, touch and go, very lethal in the 18 - yard area. Now add Ozil and Sanchez to that list and small teams will not cope well. They also have a growing depth that has gone unnoticed. Xhaka popping those long rangers as well. They are definitely going to be up there.

United will largely be due to the same thing. They got good depth and Lukaku is an unrepentant flat track bully, which was the issue they had last season. Add Matic to the spine and they will grind out results against top opposition, even nicking one nil wins against City and the likes.

Audioboxer

Radio 4's More or Less gave a pretty good background for the reason for the shift and a possible further modification

ABBA BAAB ABBA BAAB etc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p052rqxb

Starts at the 15:00 min mark.

Seems like Morse code or a foreign language....

Jomxr1q.jpg

But thanks for the link I will listen to it because for whatever reasons I didn't know ABBA was coming into play until today. I'll probably come around to it, accepting change can just be difficult at times.

While everyone keeps talking about Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs and City. I think Man Utd and Arsenal are ones to really watch out for.

It had not occur to me initially but Arsenal may have a strong case for the league, especially if they go out of the Europa early as Wenger plans.

Lacazette fits Arsenal like a glove to hand, one two passing, touch and go, very lethal in the 18 - yard area. Now add Ozil and Sanchez to that list and small teams will not cope well. They also have a growing depth that has gone unnoticed. Xhaka popping those long rangers as well. They are definitely going to be up there.

United will largely be due to the same thing. They got good depth and Lukaku is an unrepentant flat track bully, which was the issue they had last season. Add Matic to the spine and they will grind out results against top opposition, even nicking one nil wins against City and the likes.

Jose will win something with this squad, it's just whether it's an FA Cup, League Cup or Prem League. The league really needs a win again more than anything else but it's going to be brutal to win this season. CL objective is really just to outlast Arsenal. The top clubs in Europe still outclass the top English clubs on technical ability and scoring goals. It'll probably be years and years before an EPL team ever win the CL again.

United yes, Jose is a beast especially second season and got players he wanted.

Arsenal? At this stage it would be a fools game to include them, but they can always be there at the end of the season, dunno if wengy is intending to buy again, guess it depends who leaves

RocknRola

The Netherlands are the new Ladies Eruopean Champions! Still 3 minutes to go, but with a 2 goal lead it's not getting away from them.

Icolin

Banned
The Netherlands are the new Ladies Eruopean Champions! Still 3 minutes to go, but with a 2 goal lead it's not getting away from them.

There's been rumblings that Canada's going to play a friendly against the Netherlands. Hopefully they're true, because the Netherlands are a blast to watch.

Zasa

Bielsa's debut with Lille & they trounce Ranieri's Nantes, 3-0. Great performance overall, & already on route for a fun season there with him at the helm. Biela's sides never let down in entertainment value, at the very least.

Liverpool representatives have travelled to Amsterdam to discuss a move for Ajax midfielder Hakim Ziyech. [@Lionsdelatlass]

Never heard of him. Anyone knows if he's any good?

In Community Shield?

yes, the rules got changed in 2006 thanks to rooney and scholes both being sent off against porto.
Even a straight red will not carry over into the season.
The FA now class the community shield as non-competative so it doesn't count as a proper fixture.

Audioboxer

LTTP on this. Why.

Mourinho's revenge. Probably slipped Courtois a fiver. Or maybe Joe Hart has been praying to the football Gods to get him away from West Ham. His performance the other day is probably as bad as this penalty.

I just don't understand why Courtois stepped up second...

Zasa

That was just a hold down the button for as long as possible in FIFA and hope. Came off and looked amazing, that time. This time the hold down the button for too long took the ball to the moon.
To be fair, penalties in the new FIFA are hard as shit

Audioboxer

To be fair, penalties in the new FIFA are hard as shit

Haven't played it yet. I've always been a FM manager guy myself, and years back it was PES.

Low and hard with penalties is the way to go. Goalkeepers are too used to launching goal kicks up the park, and while a top corner penalty is class, blazing over the bar is embarrassing. Hence, Morata's penalty will just be called weak/poor, and Courtois' embarrassing. You never want to go well over the bar.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Yeah FIFA ruined all their set pieces in 17, they were shit

Apparently changing it is a new feature this year, as well as their annual "dribbling overhaul" and improved crossing and crowd detail

Zasa

Haven't played it yet. I've always been a FM manager guy myself, and years back it was PES.

Low and hard with penalties is the way to go. Goalkeepers are too used to launching goal kicks up the park, and while a top corner penalty is class, blazing over the bar is embarrassing. Hence, Morata's penalty will just be called weak/poor, and Courtois' embarrassing. You never want to go well over the bar.
Yeah, good points. But well placed shots into the corners are way more difficult to save for the most part.

Recommend taking a look at this heat map:
https://twitter.com/PenaltyKickStat/status/894218038953861120

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom