• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It's why I have no bad feeling towards Alonso or Suarez (and Coutinho too, if that does happen), but do to Sterling and Torres. They both completely stopped trying in their last 6 months at the club, and as a paying fan the bare minimum I expect from a player is for them to at least bloody try.

100% agree, and I would say the vast majority of fans do too. Even when the Sterling situation was escalating, then fans were still mostly blaming his agent. I was on the Kop for the Newcastle game in April '15 and vividly remember everyone singing 'Raheen Sterling - Your agent's a cunt'.

Torres, on the other hand, can go fornicate himself with an rusty iron bar.

PowerTaxi

Banned
Lets not throw anymore fuel on the fire here. Also, you should probably reserve the secret utd/Ev fan accusation for me, as I'm often horribly negative about Liverpool.

It's not my fault though, my first season watching them was 93/94 so I haven't seen any of the glory days. Worst still, Istanbul was kinda ruined on me as the next day was the deadline for my final year thesis. Spent the entire game fixing charts on excel.

FML.

How anybody takes him serious is beyond me, he is basically Mou's publicist. What has he accused Guardiola of now? Shagging a packet of Wagon Wheels?

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/co...t-bid-force-barcelona-transfer-120636420.html

There's nothing wrong with having ambitions like Van Dijk claims that he has. But if he's happy enough to sign a contract that gives him a salary, that a supporter can only dream about. Don't start acting like a douchebag and put out a transfer request + a damning statement like that 6 months later, especially when you've been out injured too.

Also to add. Pretty funny that Jim White is attacking him on this, the man who has a big part of why the transfer window has become this way.

Preezy

I'm sure all these players really care what fans of their old clubs think as they're getting a blowjob from a supermodel in their private jet on the way to sign for their next club, must be a hard life.

lol are you suggesting it's me? Please provide examples of any blind love I have for Liverpool.

Since Beefy highlighted the shitness that Liverpool engaged in you have picked a fight with him defending the decisions of Liverpool saying it was normal when it is clear that they fucked up big time and shat all over themselves for everyone to see. They know they fucked up and thats the entire reason they issued a formal apology. You were the first to insult Beefy and when called out on it by others you argued semantics. You are also the first and usually only one to pick anything out that Beefy says about VvD which then turns into childish bickering.

Since Beefy highlighted the shitness that Liverpool engaged in you have picked a fight with him defending the decisions of Liverpool saying it was normal when it is clear that they fucked up big time and shat all over themselves for everyone to see. They know they fucked up and thats the entire reason they issued a formal apology. You were the first to insult Beefy and when called out on it by others you argued semantics. You are also the first and usually only one to pick anything out that Beefy says about VvD which then turns into childish bickering.

Ummm I've said it was normally which was true and I've said plenty of times it's what was mentioned was the problem and I've admit that they messed up with what they released. Also I've never insulted him.

T-Rex.

Banned
It's why I have no bad feeling towards Alonso or Suarez (and Coutinho too, if that does happen), but do to Sterling and Torres. They both completely stopped trying in their last 6 months at the club, and as a paying fan the bare minimum I expect from a player is for them to at least bloody try.
Owen and Alonso annoyed me. Owen because I was a kid back then and he was my fav player, and Alonso cos we were actually good back then and then we became really shit. Torres, Mascherano, Sterling etc I don't really have animosity for cos I can't blame anyone for leaving when we were shit, and to be fair to Torres we pretty much fucked up his career rushing him back from injuries all the time.

Oh and yeah, there's no need to get personal with each other. C'mon.

I'm with Beefy here too, VvD is being a dick if he's refusing to train

Its silly to expect a foreign player to have the same loyalty to a club as a fan would, so expecting them to stay ahead of much better offers for them is silly - but equally if a player is being paid by a club they should at least perform their minimum duties while they are playing for them, even if they do want to transfer.

I'd also include a player implying they will sign a contract extension but actually running it down to be a scummy thing too - if a player wants to leave for somewhere better in the long run then they should sign a contract with a release clause.

There is nothing scummy about that.

It's ok, we know you support Liverpool :p

lol you know it.

I am not, he does indeed raise a good point.

I was just saying that, VD is also at fault for just flat out lying.

He never said VD wasn't at fault either. Most people are cherry picking his replies and only wanting to read what they want to read. Not saying you are fari.

TimmmV

100% agree, and I would say the vast majority of fans do too. Even when the Sterling situation was escalating, then fans were still mostly blaming his agent. I was on the Kop for the Newcastle game in April '15 and vividly remember everyone singing 'Raheen Sterling - Your agent's a cunt'.

Torres, on the other hand, can go fornicate himself with an rusty iron bar.

Small world, I was as well! IIRC that was actually the game he scored his last goal for Liverpool in too

I think a lot more people would hate Torres if he had been good for Chelsea afterwards - the fact that Liverpool did much better out of that transfer has meant people have been much kinder to him in the end

There is nothing scummy about that.

Running a contract down if a club just plainly refuses to discuss selling you is one thing, but pretending that you will sign a contract while letting your transfer value fall like Mcmanaman and Owen did is really shitty.

If they want to leave they should let their club know at the start of a transfer window, and submit a transfer request like Alonso did - the player gets what they want and their old club at least gets a decent price for them. Stalling on a contract just makes the club suffer and doesn't really gain the player much themselves.

King_Moc

Banned
Owen and Alonso annoyed me. Owen because I was a kid back then and he was my fav player, and Alonso cos we were actually good back then and then we became really shit. Torres, Mascherano, Sterling etc I don't really have animosity for cos I can't blame anyone for leaving when we were shit, and to be fair to Torres we pretty much fucked up his career rushing him back from injuries all the time.

Blame Benitez for Alonso. He tried to use him as an exchange in a deal for someone else the year before. Benitez literally had no idea how important to the team he was. Alonso specifically said that's why he left too.

Labadal

I honestly don't want us to sign VVD. Liverpool are in the wrong here, but I don't want a player that acts like he is doing. He has a contract to fulfill. I don't care if he wants to leave or not. He's a professional and should follow his contract. He's probably a very solid player and would improve our defense. Yet, I do not want us to sign a player that acts like a child. I'm not blaming only him, though. Southampton are getting a ridiculous amount of money and I would have sold him. In my mind, all three parts are at fault here. It started with Liverpool and then it has just escalated.

PowerTaxi

Banned

Eh... there was the whole Gareth Barry stuff going on the summer before he left.

Atomic Odin

I honestly don't want us to sign VVD. Liverpool are in the wrong here, but I don't want a player that acts like he is doing. He has a contract to fulfill. I don't care if he wants to leave or not. He's a professional and should follow his contract. He's probably a very solid player and would improve our defense. Yet, I do not want us to sign a player that acts like a child. I'm not blaming only him, though. Southampton are getting a ridiculous amount of money and I would have sold him. In my mind, all three parts are at fault here. It started with Liverpool and then it has just escalated.

Hey atleast he hasn't said his head is already here. That's an improvement right?

Atomic Odin

So how much is Ousmane Dembele worth then? 70m

Barca are going to be fleeced for any half decent talent with that cash burning a hole.

He's good, not 70M good but good. Could swear there were reports of him coming back to PL for about 40M or so a while back.

edit: sorry double post

When are y'all gonna squash the beef? ��

Shit has gone through so many sponsorship deals over the years, almost all of them terrible. Milk Cup was my favorite though.

Nothing beats the current sponsorship deal for the Belgian Cup. May I present you the Croky Cup.

ef2b2fb8-dd82-11e6-8018-e28ec2558cad_web_scale_0.5608975_0.5608975__.jpg

CIQNSZpWUAAfh5f.png

I agree with you 100% but truthfully not many players fulfill their contracts. In the end of the day its just a job for them and contracts aren't hard clad agreements in the football world.

Running a contract down if a club just plainly refuses to discuss selling you is one thing, but pretending that you will sign a contract while letting your transfer value fall like Mcmanaman and Owen did is really shitty.

If they want to leave they should let their club know at the start of a transfer window, and submit a transfer request like Alonso did - the player gets what they want and their old club at least gets a decent price for them. Stalling on a contract just makes the club suffer and doesn't really gain the player much themselves.

I guess if you put it that way you have a point.

My reaction in the spring was "really, we're doing this again?" He's obviously quality but going after these players four consecutive summers in a row is only going to lead to bad blood.

I want to improve the team so I wouldn't be upset if Liverpool signs him (which isn't happening). But this really has to end between LFC and Soton.

I don't want to lose games because we're trotting out Klavan and Gomez out in important games, but there had to have been an alternate path to take.

T-Rex.

Banned
Blame Benitez for Alonso. He tried to use him as an exchange in a deal for someone else the year before. Benitez literally had no idea how important to the team he was. Alonso specifically said that's why he left too.
Eh... there was the whole Gareth Barry stuff going on the summer before he left.
I don't blame him for leaving (who's going to turn down Real Madrid?) but I just mean it irrationally annoyed me, mainly cos we did end up becoming very shit afterwards.

People are mad at Torres, Mascherano etc, but look at what they won after leaving compared to what we've been doing in that time, they all absolutely made the right decision. That kinda goes back to what I was saying with the Van Dijk stuff before it turned into Wrasslemania.

TimmmV

Alonso has said he just had a professional relationship with Benitez, and that there wasn't/isn't bad feeling between them over that I think

Tbh, Alonso would have left for Madrid regardless that summer. They offered what was a lot of money for him too, so it was good for all sides really.

The problem was that Liverpool were owned by a couple of crooks who then refused to let Benitez use that money to buy a remotely decent replacement for him

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

Yea IIRC he wanted to sell Alonso to Juve in 2008 to make way for Gareth Barry. Then Alonso went on to have his best season with us.

Swapping Alonso for Barry, the football equivalent of turning down Mila Kunis for Susan Boyle. SMH

The problem was that Liverpool were owned by a couple of crooks who then refused to let Benitez use that money to buy a remotely decent replacement for him

They let him spend 20M on a replacement, unfortunately that replacement was Aquilani. *Shudders*

If pushed I would have to admit Liverpool have had more high-profile flops than any of our rivals in the last 10 years.

TimmmV

I don't want to lose games because we're trotting out Klavan and Gomez out in important games, but there had to have been an alternate path to take.

I can understand Gomez because he's young and mistakes are going to happen just through inexperience, but Klavan playing is infuriating while Sakho is at the club

Atomic Odin

I don't blame him for leaving (who's going to turn down Real Madrid?) but I just mean it irrationally annoyed me, mainly cos we did end up becoming very shit afterwards.

People are mad at Torres, Mascherano etc, but look at what they won after leaving compared to what we've been doing in that time, they all absolutely made the right decision. That kinda goes back to what I was saying with the Van Dijk stuff before it turned into Wrasslemania.

Yarp. We still haven't been able to replace Alonso after its been what 8 years? That is on us. Clubs in more privileged positions than us have lost players to Real & Barca and haven't fallen into abyss like we did after that season.

GHG

Yea IIRC he wanted to sell Alonso to Juve in 2008 to make way for Gareth Barry. Then Alonso went on to have his best season with us.

Swapping Alonso for Barry, the football equivalent of turning down Mila Kunis for Susan Boyle. SMH

Now now, some people have a thing for the Scottish ladies.

Yarp. We still haven't been able to replace Alonso after its been what 8 years? That is on us. Clubs in more privileged positions than us have lost players to Real & Barca and haven't fallen into abyss like we did after that season.

In fairness deep lying playmakers don't exactly grow on trees these days. It's a very difficult position to have to replace a player in. Most teams don't even bother and go for a change in system instead.

TimmmV

They let him spend 20M on a replacement, unfortunately that replacement was Aquilani. *Shudders*

If pushed I would have to admit Liverpool have had more high-profile flops than any of our rivals in the last 10 years.

The owners only let him spend £20m in that instance because Roma still owed money for Riise's transfer, and they could use that against the difference and keep the cash going to Roma down. They did the same with signing Johnson from Portsmouth too (who owed money for Crouch still)

So Benitez had the choice of a talented but injury prone player in Aquilani, or have like £15m to sign a replacement with from another club instead - so he was kind of hamstrung from the get go that summer.

Hicks and Gilette really fucked things up financially at Liverpool, and at the worst possible time too. We are still playing catch up now because of it

The owners only let him spend £20m in that instance because Roma still owed money for Riise's transfer, and they could use that against the difference and keep the cash going to Roma down. They did the same with signing Johnson from Portsmouth too (who owed money for Crouch still)

So Benitez had the choice of a talented but injury prone player in Aquilani, or have like £15m to sign a replacement with from another club instead - so he was kind of hamstrung from the get go that summer.

Hicks and Gilette really fucked things up financially at Liverpool, and at the worst possible time too. We are still playing catch up now because of it

It's a shame H&G came when they did. I think they bought us in 2007, when realistically we should've made a push to be a growing force in Europe. 2 Champions League finals in 3 seasons etc.

Dick Jones

Gold Member

Gareth Barry for Xabi and a bag of cash. Villa wouldn't sell Barry on principal as Martin O'Neill was annoyed at Liverpool trying to tap up Barry.

Markitron

Wasn't aware of this actually. The worst part about those clowns was that it finally seemed we were on the ascendancy, 2 champions league finals in 3 seasons, we finally go close to the league just to lose out to an outstanding United Squad. It's mental when you think about it, United had Berbatov, Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo. We had Torres and Ngog, I don't blame Benitez for getting pissed off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom