• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there no Celtic fans in here? Paddy Roberts is 1/2 on Skybet to come back to Paradise! Seems like another loan though - was hoping permanent. A CB now and it's been a solid window.

Cheered the Bhoys all my life, but I get so stressed during these CL qualifier games. Forrest is a brilliant player, stays calm and works away, then goes for it whenever there's an opening.

We are still linked to Armstrong, would he be good in the Prem?

I'd worry he wouldn't be physically strong enough to do well. Very talented player though - great crosses and shots, especially free kicks, good feet.

faridmon

3-4 months ago I would have agreed with you, but not in today's market, where a 28 year old Gylfi Sigurdsson goes for 50m.

Again, that's neither here or there, has nothing to do with Market Price on Siggurdson and neither is it comparable to Coutinho's price tag.

Swansea don't want to let him go, so they slapped £20 Million extra just to say he is off limit. Everton simply don't want to be put off that price, desperate for a creative play maker and have money to burn will simply buy him for £50 Million.

T-Rex.

Banned
I can understand Saints supporters being pissed at him, but why is everyone else so mad? Footballers don't have a very long career, who can blame him for wanting to move up and join a club where he'll have a better chance of winning trophies and I don't mean to be disrespectful but it's the truth. Same with us and Coutinho, I want him to stay but if he goes then I won't hold a grudge against him. The opportunity is there so why shouldn't he take it? Look at Mahrez, he stayed at Leicester for another season when he was shit hot, and who wants him now? And I know the response will be it's the way he's going about it, but clubs do this time all the time where they portray players as the bad guy or whatever just so fans don't lose their heads when they eventually sell, I mean Liverpool are fucking masters at this (Mascherano, Torres, Sterling etc).

Loyalty in football is just a bizarre concept. Said it before, but clubs and fans are happy to get rid of players when they think they can get better, and then cry when other players want to make a step up and go on and on about loyalty. We're all guilty of this.

DGtKEjqXoAA_U5R.jpg:large

our official team photo

Ancelotti looking serious as always. And for some reason Thiago looks different 🤔

Balague is even less reliable than the Metro. Remember the day before Klopp was appointed and he said it will never happen as he already had an agreement with Bayern. He does the same thing as every other ITK except with a foreign accent.

That said I hope he is right about this.

With Klopp and our mouthpieces being so adamant there's no deal to be made it seems more plausible than the club setting itself up for a fall with it's stance.

Beefy

I can understand Saints supporters being pissed at him, but why is everyone else so mad? Footballers don't have a very long career, who can blame him for wanting to move up and join a club where he'll have a better chance of winning trophies and I don't mean to be disrespectful but it's the truth. Same with us and Coutinho, I want him to stay but if he goes then I won't hold a grudge against him. The opportunity is there so why shouldn't he take it? Look at Mahrez, he stayed at Leicester for another season when he was shit hot, and who wants him now? And I know the response will be it's the way he's going about it, but clubs do this time all the time where they portray players as the bad guy or whatever just so fans don't lose their heads when they eventually sell, I mean Liverpool are fucking masters at this (Mascherano, Torres, Sterling etc).

Loyalty in football is just a bizarre concept. Said it before, but clubs and fans are happy to get rid of players when they think they can get better, and then cry when other players want to make a step up and go on and on about loyalty. We're all guilty of this.

I think Van Dijk is different. The dude said he has wanted to go for 6months, that would mean he signed a contract and not even a year later wanted to leave. That for many is pure greed, especially as he was injured at the time. Then the refusing to play in pre season friendlies as he wasn't in the right kind of mood. There is wanting to leave then there is being a cunt about it.

T-Rex.

Banned
I think Van Dijk is different. The dude said he has wanted to go for 6months, that would mean he signed a contract and not even a year later wanted to leave. That for many is pure greed, especially as he was injured at the time. Then the refusing to play in pre season friendlies as he wasn't in the right kind of mood. There is wanting to leave then there is being a cunt about it.
But what if he told the club he wanted out and they said ok sign a new deal so we get more money for you when the time comes? We did it with Suarez before selling him to Barca, Atletico did it with Diego Costa before selling him to Chelsea etc. Happens all the time in football.

I'm not saying Saints supporters shouldn't be annoyed btw, or the club for that matter (cos of the way Liverpool went about it), I just think it's weird how fans of other clubs seem to be so annoyed by it.

If the club does sell Coutinho, I hope Klopp leaves. Nothing worst than making a grown man look like a liar.

But what if he told the club he wanted out and they said ok sign a new deal so we get more money for you when the time comes? We did it with Suarez before selling him to Barca, Atletico did it with Diego Costa before selling him to Chelsea etc. Happens all the time in football.

I'm not saying Saints supporters shouldn't be annoyed btw, or the club for that matter (cos of the way Liverpool went about it), I just think it's weird how fans of other clubs seem to be so annoyed by it.

I've mentioned that to him before but his blind love for the club have him believing that the club would never lie to him.

The guy has acted like a complete twat and tried to blame the club when it is him and his agent being cunts. As I say it's not that players leave it's how they leave. Van Dijk deserves all the shit he gets.

You do realise, alot of times, clubs will have players say that? Just letting you know.

Beefy

The guy has acted like a complete twat and tried to blame the club when it is him and his agent being cunts. As I say it's not that players leave it's how they leave. Van Dijk deserves all the shit he gets.

If the club does sell Coutinho, I hope Klopp leaves. Nothing worst than making a grown man look like a liar.

I've mentioned that to him before but his blind love for the club have him believing that the club would never lie to him.

Man you are boring. Go back and read my post again before twisting shit.

cyber_ninja

It's nice to see a Football thread on Gaf being this active, good stuff. I'll try to post as much as I can. Super excited for tonight's game. Let's win it United!!!

Man you are boring. Go back and read my post again before twisting shit.

LOL you getting a bit personal with the lnsult? No need to get upset over the truth buddyy. It's a fact clubs most times will write out statements for players when they sign. You might want to wipe out those foggy rose tinted glasses, you are wearing there.

People thinking that clubs are innocent in this and it's always the player being greedy lol

For real. Beefy is a prime example of blind loyalty for a club. Nothing wrong with loving the club you support but its another story when your blind loyalty clouds rational thinking.

Lunar FC

When are y'all gonna squash the beef? ��

Indeed.

It's the league cup. It'll always be the league cup, and I'm never calling it anything else.

Shit has gone through so many sponsorship deals over the years, almost all of them terrible. Milk Cup was my favorite though.

faridmon

Didn't Van Dijk say that the club lied about him not training eve though multiple sources confirmed that was the case?

I get that player have the right to move on. As an Everton fan, I still love Fellaini for what he has done to use, and the way he made his transfer request was classy, same with Fellaini, but this Van Dijk sound like a twat

Beefy

LOL you getting a bit personal with the lnsult? No need to get upset over the truth buddyy. It's a fact clubs most times will write out statements for players when they sign. You might want to wipe out those foggy rose tinted glasses, you are wearing there.

For real. Beefy is a prime example of blind loyalty for a club. Nothing wrong with loving the club you support but its another story when your blind loyalty clouds rational thinking.

Not getting personal stating a fact. I said I believe the board until they lie (which they have in the past)but so far on Van Dijk haven't. I don't love Saints, I am not blinded by them. I don't even go to hardly any games and wasn't even born in the UK, I am more of a follower then a fan. I get club PR is slanted to the side of the club, everything in the world is biased.

I get players will sold and don't give a shit. What annoys me is how players leave. As in act like pricks.

It's kind of lame how you seem to come at me all the time, like you got some weird obsession with me.

Moobabe

Didn't Van Dijk say that the club lied about him not training eve though multiple sources confirmed that was the case?

I get that player have the right to move on. As an Everton fan, I still love Fellaini for what he has done to use, and the way he made his transfer request was classy, same with Fellaini, but this Van Dijk sound like a twat

Yep, VVD has come out looking like a prick from this whole situation.

Also Unreal Champ, wind your neck in a bit mate. There's only one person in your little vendetta who has blind love for their club and rose tinted glasses and it sure as hell isn't Beefy.

panty

I know footygaf has some toxic members but why have I been removed from the Real Madrid supporters? I've been here for years.

Also Unreal Champ, wind your neck in a bit mate. There's only one person in your little vendetta who has blind love for their club and rose tinted glasses and it sure as hell isn't Beefy.

What hapenned with Alexis Sanchez in the end?
Is he leaving Arsenal or not?

Rumours are that the board want to sell as Sanchez isn't going to sign but Wenger is trying to block them every way he can. Sanchez also doesn't look like he will put in a request either.

So the Metro (Not sure if reliable) are claiming the Coutinho deal is hours away. Looks like he is going :(

£82 Mil, I think is now cheap in this crazy market
He can't be signed in a few hours because he was actually signed yesterday before the match like the Spanish reports said he would be. We just haven't noticed yet 😉

T-Rex.

Banned
Fair enough, I just don't pay much attention to what footballer's say tbh cos it's usually just bollocks to please the club/fans etc.

CrayToes

I'm fairly convinced Unreal Champ is a Utd/Everton fan who is just trying to make us look like twats.
Not that we need any help in that department.

Not getting personal stating a fact. I said I believe the board until they lie (which they have in the past). I don't love Saints, I am not blinded by them. I don't even go to hardly any games and wasn't even born in the UK. I get club PR is slanted to the side of the club, everything in the world is biased.

Well you sure don't act like it.

I get players will sold and don't give a shit. What annoys me is how players leave. As in act like pricks.

But you don't know whaty goes behind the scene? Why have a go at the player if you aren't there to know what happened between them? All you are seeing is one side, you have no idea what was agreed between the player and the club. It could be the club going back on their promise to sell him if he signs a new contract. He didn't act like this with Celtic. So one has to think maybe Southampton is the one going back on their word.

Yep, VVD has come out looking like a prick from this whole situation.

He's only made to look that way because of the club. Poor Southampton made to look the victim in a ll this. Fact is no one knows what was promised to him and what was said to him to make him act that way. Again like I mentioned he didn't act this way with Celtic.

lol are you suggesting it's me? Please provide examples of any blind love I have for Liverpool.

I'm fairly convinced Unreal Champ is a Utd/Everton fan who is just trying to make us look like twats.

If questioning people's way of thinking makes me a twat, guess I am one. lol

Today's match between United and Real should be entertaining.

On one hand, I think it'd be entertaining for Mou to squash Real.
On the other hand, there is nothing quite as entertaining as Mou being squashed.

Hmmmm I think I'll cheer for a convincing Real victory.

What is ManU's best 11 anyway?

DGtKEjqXoAA_U5R.jpg:large

our official team photo
Not sure what to make of the upcoming season. Ancelotti still playing Muller out of fucking position (put him in AM already) and the only super winger in the team is an injury-prone 32 year old.

Just move to a 3-5-2 and get this shit over with Ancelotti. Team has lost major pace to be playing it's usual formation. Beef up the defense and get it bumping for next year.

DBT85

Today's match between United and Real should be entertaining.

On one hand, I think it'd be entertaining for Mou to squash Real.
On the other hand, there is nothing quite as entertaining as Mou being squashed.

Hmmmm I think I'll cheer for a convincing Real victory.

What is ManU's best 11 anyway?

Our best?

Probably

DeGod
Valencia, Bailly, Rojo, Irwin
Matic, Herrera, Pogba
Miki, Lukaku, Martial.

Lots of room for swaps on the wings though tbh.

Though we have banned players and injured players for today.

Not sure what to make of the upcoming season. Ancelotti still playing Muller out of fucking position (put him in AM already) and the only super winger in the team is an injury-prone 32 year old.

Just move to a 3-5-2 and get this shit over with Ancelotti. Team has lost major pace to be playing it's usual formation. Beef up the defense and get it bumping for next year.

I agree, defense should be Ancelottis main focus.

faridmon

Or a Liverpool fan who wants to blame everyone else beside Van Dijk for his situation

It goes both way mate

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

Lets not throw anymore fuel on the fire here. Also, you should probably reserve the secret utd/Ev fan accusation for me, as I'm often horribly negative about Liverpool.

It's not my fault though, my first season watching them was 93/94 so I haven't seen any of the glory days. Worst still, Istanbul was kinda ruined on me as the next day was the deadline for my final year thesis. Spent the entire game fixing charts on excel.

FML.

Shocker that Duncan Castles is talking absolute fucking toffee.

How anybody takes him serious is beyond me, he is basically Mou's publicist. What has he accused Guardiola of now? Shagging a packet of Wagon Wheels?

Or a Liverpool fan who wants to blame everyone else beside Van Dijk for his situation

It goes both way mate

I never once said he might not be at fault. My thing is that everyone is blaming him when no one knows the situation. And yes I am a Liverpool fan and I've already said plenty of times that I don't see why we need him when we already have Sakho doing nothing.

Unreal Champ is the one that really crosses the line in this thread. One thing is friendly banter and other thing is aggressive behaviour and personal attacks and it's not the first time. To keep this thread in OT is better to just ignore and move on.

How is my behaviour aggressive? I haven't insulted anyone. I haven't said anything demeaning to anyone. So explain how my behaviour is aggressive.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Unreal Champ is the one that really crosses the line in this thread. One thing is friendly banter and other thing is aggressive behaviour and personal attacks and it's not the first time. To keep this thread in OT is better to just ignore and move on.

TimmmV

I'm with Beefy here too, VvD is being a dick if he's refusing to train

Its silly to expect a foreign player to have the same loyalty to a club as a fan would, so expecting them to stay ahead of much better offers for them is silly - but equally if a player is being paid by a club they should at least perform their minimum duties while they are playing for them, even if they do want to transfer.

I'd also include a player implying they will sign a contract extension but actually running it down to be a scummy thing too - if a player wants to leave for somewhere better in the long run then they should sign a contract with a release clause.

It's why I have no bad feeling towards Alonso or Suarez (and Coutinho too, if that does happen), but do to Sterling and Torres. They both completely stopped trying in their last 6 months at the club, and as a paying fan the bare minimum I expect from a player is for them to at least bloody try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom