• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
Fuck yes it's over, unfortunately we lost two players for the next match.

I think I'm gonna be depressed if Peru misses out on going to the WC by a single goal difference...again lol.

Welcome to football GAF. If you like being negative, you have found a second home.

hah

Sure, but if they drop to 7th or even 6th, even if they win the next 2 games they'll need for one of those two teams directly ahead of them (4th+5th) to lose points. Which may or may not happen :S

So I'm afraid that y'all might have just kinda lost the train to Russia...it depends on how bad this fixture goes I guess.

Even before to these two awful matches (for us), I wasn't really interested into doing any calculation, so I don't really know, but what I've read is, no matter what the other teams do, if we get those 6 points, we go to Russia.

Maybe I misread it.

RocknRola

Even before to these two awful matches (for us), I wasn't really interested into doing any calculation, so I don't really know, but what I've read is, no matter what the other teams do, if we get those 6 points, we go to Russia.

Maybe I misread it.

21272544_1404853982903258_6956480343400321832_n.jpg

If Argentina and Paraguay win, they'll have 26 and 24 points respectively and Chile would drop to 7th. Thus, even by winning the final two games, for Chile to pass them, those teams would need to lose points.

If they don't win and Chile remains in 5th for this fixture, then yeah they just need to win their own games and it's a done deal (for the play-off at least) :p

It all depends on these two remaining games for this fixture.

jett

D-Member

Maybe I misread it.

I don't think so. Peru's in fourth place now and with one more point than Chile.

RocknRola

I think I'm gonna be depressed if Peru misses out on going to the WC by a single goal difference...again lol.

hah

Btw, Hurtado is awesome :3 He plays at my club.

Icolin

Banned

Gareca's Peru is legit. I don't think you guys are going to miss out on the WC, but then again... it's CONMEBOL. Anything can happen. Plus Peru's got some tough fixtures coming up.

Dierce

No Sánchez vs Ecuador as well due to suspension (or Beausejour). At least Peru have the toughest matches left of the lot vs Colombia & Argentina. Slim pickings.

Argentina can't even beat the last positioned team in the qualifier at home. I would bet on Peru beating them easily.

RocknRola

Considering Argentina and Peru will play each other in the next match, if this ends in a tie (+ Paraguay doesn't win) Chile still has a very decent shot of at least securing the 5th place.

Also, remember when Argentina was actually a damn solid team that reached the WC final + 2 Copa America finals in a row (even though it lost all 3)? Good times.

Zasa

Wtf argie cant score against last team, they got worst goals scored. The fear of not feeding messi is running high there
Well sure, they're not finishing all the chances Messi's feeding the team. But it's not like creating chances is a problem, which would be the bigger concern. Still looking better overall compared to the Argentina that's only scored 15 goals

Wouldn't go that far, their attack still looks good.

I don't think Perú can beat Argentina easily, but I see it happening. The thing is, Argentina (regardless how this current match ends) is another disaster.

Think about this: In Argentina they don't expect to "just" go to the WC, they expect to win it, or at least, to reach the finals. Do you really think playing like this they have even the tiniest chance of achieving that?

Zasa

I don't think Perú can beat Argentina easily, but I see it happening. The thing is, Argentina (regardless how this current match ends) is another disaster.

Think about this: In Argentina they don't expect to "just" go to the WC, they expect to win it, or at least, to reach the finals. Do you really think playing like this they have even the tiniest chance of achieving that?
I wouldn't be surprised to see that being a match with 5 goals in it. It'll be entertaining for sure though, either way, hopefully

Of course this isn't up to standard, but it's still Sampaoli's only second official match. The signs from this match look much more promising that what we saw from them in the qualifiers before imo, at least in terms of the chemistry from the attack. Could've easily finished with 3-4 goals in this match.

If they do end up qualifying, I can't see Argentina staying like this either. They'll only keep improving under Sampaoli in my view tbh, more time to mold his philosophy into the team & get them to work even harder. Plus, a promising partnership in Messi, Dybala & Icardi.

Dierce

Sevilla fans must be loving this.

Sampaoli is a great coach, this isn't his fault. The team just doesn't work. Argentina hasn't had good midfielders or intelligent defenders like Ayala in a long time. You need someone to command the field as a player just as much as you need a good coach.

I wouldn't be surprised to see that being a match with 5 goals in it. It'll be entertaining for sure though, either way, hopefully

Of course this isn't up to standard, but it's still Sampaoli's only second official match. The signs from this match look much more promising that what we saw from them in the qualifiers before imo, at least in terms of the chemistry from the attack. Could've easily finished with 3-4 goals in this match.

If they do end up qualifying, I can't see Argentina staying like this either. They'll only keep improving under Sampaoli in my view tbh, more time to mold his philosophy into the team & get them to work even harder. Plus, a promising partnership in Messi, Dybala & Icardi.

The problem for Sampaoli is the fact he doesn't have awesome players like he had with Chile. There are players in this argentinian team that makes you wonder how in the hell there aren't more skilled ones, considering Argentina always has had tons of talent.

Zasa

The problem for Sampaoli is the fact he doesn't have awesome players like he had with Chile. There are players in this argentinian team that makes you wonder how in the hell there aren't more skilled ones, considering Argentina always has had tons of talent.
Their midfield hasn't been up to par yet for sure, & it's still a very top heavy team. Definitely a lot up in the air.

It's so fucking hard to believe: Chile & Argentina, both in the finals of the last two Copa America, now at the edge of the abyss.

Whoever still doesn't believe this quali is by a huge margin the hardest one, he/she doesn't know anything about football.

It's so fucking hard to believe: Chile & Argentina, both in the finals of the last two Copa America, now at the edge of the abyss.

Whoever still doesn't believe this quali is by a huge margin the hardest one, he/she doesn't know anything about football.

Maybe FIFA need to split Conmebol WC qualifiers into 2 groups next?

Maybe FIFA need to split Conmebol WC qualifiers into 2 groups next?

No in my opinion. It should however, give us at least 1 extra slot for the WC, hell... maybe 2 would be even more fair, but I don't see that happening.

Another option would be to merge Conmebol & Concacaf, but I'm pretty sure Concacaf would protest cause México & USA would stop going to any future WC, for sure. None of them would "survive" competing at this level down here.

Lunar FC

No in my opinion. It should however, give us at least 1 extra slot for the WC, hell... maybe 2 would be even more fair, but I don't see that happening.

Another option would be to merge Conmebol & Concacaf, but I'm pretty sure Concacaf would protest cause México & USA would stop going to any future WC, for sure. None of them would "survive" competing at this level down here.

While I would idealy love for the US to face more high quality on a regular base you are right in the assumption that it would likely mean us missing the WC in our current form.

I do believe that CONMEBOL should get 5 places and 1 playoff, taking a spot away from CONCACAF.

But who cares, FIFA is about to ruin the tournament and allow basically everybody into the world cup here pretty soon.

longdi

Banned

Besides brazil, the rest played shitty disjointed football. Not sure hardest equals to good quality teams.

The past few world cups, conmebol teams got owned hard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom