• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wales just don't have enough to easily break down weak teams when they hang back and defend. Only way is through a freak strike like the one from Woodburn from a couple of days back.

Edit: Or, you know, like that.

Müller performs like crap under Löw, Guardiola and now Ancelotti. Since the beginning of 2015 he underperforms and is no real benefit for any squad. He totally failed in 2016 Euro as CF, and didn't even work in Guardiolas last season, when he was the second striker besides Lewandowski. Something happened after the semi KO against Atletico and Carlo even changed the whole Bayern formation from 4-3-3 to 4-1-2-3 at the second half of last season to get Müller into the CAM/HS position and he still fails against an injured James, aging Ribery and Robben, as well as Coman. Bayern even sold Costa to make space for Müller and renounced on Sanchez and Draxler because of him. Even Manuel Neuer acknowledged his subpar performances in an interview today...
The idea that they sold Costa for Muller is just made up nonsense, not sure what media you've been following. The only reason they renounced on Sanchez is due to the ludicrous amount of cash that he wanted. No idea why you are making shit up. Draxler became an issue after the James signing, which is what I had issues since the purchase.

In regards to his form, I agree with you. He sucked last year, it was pitiful. He was also terrible at the Euros in a few games. He did well in Pep's last year, except for the last 2 months of the season. He's been poor since then. I have no idea how you say he performs crap under Pep though, he hit almost 40 goals as a second offensive weapon. Just a crazy statement to make.
James hasn't even played one minute in an official match for Bayern yet...
And I completely disagree with Alonso. He was Guardiolas wish and only alternative after Kroos left and Schweinsteiger and Thiago injured. Sure he was over his prime, but no other DLP with quality to lead a possession midfield of a top club was available at that time. It's still amazing that Alonso was the best Bayern player in 2015's semi against Barca while players like Alaba, Martinez, Müller, Vidal were responsible with technical flaws that we lost all those semis and last years quarters. And we might have to face the fact, that there are no players on the market that could replace Ribery and Robben, unless not for money Bayern is able or willing to pay. We tried our luck with Dembele, but he saw better chances at Dortmund. Coman is still a young talent and Costa failed for several reasons. Sanchez wanted too much money (and at an age were we need an replacement sooner than later) and Hoeneß obviously wanted no problems with unhappy Müller, Ribery and Robben. Replacing them will be nearly impossible and Draxler has yet to prove that he is good enough for a top club. Same goes for Gnabry, Brandt, etc. And Bayern actively moves away from linear wingers. Same as Madrid did. Ronaldo is more striker than winger and Bale benched. Instead Isco plays an inserted winger and Marcelo and Carvajal are playing the winger part. Carlo wants this too. So James was only logical and Kimmich and Alaba play the wings. They have the most crosses while Ribery and Robben act like midfielders. We sold Costa, he is the definition of an linear winger, something that is set to extinct.
My point isn't even about James' quality, it's about what the club needs instead of Carlo buying his favorite players. The team needed a left winger with pace. Something to give energy to the team. Either a player that dribbles and creates a ton, or a hybrid scoring winger. Someone with pace that is unpredictable, not a slow player like James. They just went after the wrong type of player due to panicking. Not sure why you mention a mediocre player like Gnabry or Brandt that needs 3 years to possibly get to the level needed. Draxler may not be a world class player, but I believe he would be a big improvement over Ribery. Whether he can be consistent/up his game, that's on him.

Why Madrid has won is based on several reasons. Last year it was basically a one man show, with Ronaldo carrying them over series at an unprecedented level
and refs fucking Bayern
. On top of this, the other two top tier teams (Barca, Bayern) got worse during this timeline, the top EPL clubs continuing to be bums and not raising their game up to mid 2000s level of play despite dropping mad stacks every summer, and the Milan teams being as relevant as Arsenal's title aspirations. They have the best player in the world and had a good system, making it seem like having the weakest part of the game (the other winger) like some magical tactical move that is bound to improve if other teams do the same is incredibly naive.

Yes our attack is the weakest part, but as I said, we are in transition and we changed the system that Gaal, Heynckes and Guardiola played because Carlo noticed that Ribery and Robben are over their prime (and no affordable replacements on the market) and the other top clubs started to move away from classic wingers. Lahm and Alonso were hugely involved in building up the game and now we need 3 midfielders to close this gap and the sacrifice is Müller. Lewandowski works pretty good so far and profits a lot from Kimmichs and Alabas crosses. Carlo does things I haven't expected him to do. He improves and adepts to modern football, market and what the squad is able to. And James is the missing link. With him and Thiago our build up play is going to be much better than last season.
Teams moving away from classic wingers =/= what Bayern needs to do. When the dragon ball z fusion happened and Robbery got born, they paved the way for that style because it worked. Bayern didn't need to go copy another team. That in itself is an awful ideal. You always set your team to maximize the quality of your team, rather then fit square peg in a round hole by either a) turning your team into your style of play (Pep being the biggest instigator), and b) looking at what other teams are doing to copy them.

Building up play is not a bigger issue than spacing and goal threats coming from midfield. Last weekend game was a perfect example when the team wasn't lighting it up, that not having a focal offensive weapon in the middle making runs makes the team easier to stop.. especially since Robbery aren't as good as they used to be (Ribery in particular). Bayern should focus on having 2/3 of Telisso/VIdal/Thiago and have them work to contain the ball and disperse it properly. Having a quality LW with Alaba/Kimmich running and Robben putting work on the right would open the field out to the point where having an AM and Lewy running for goal = nightmare even for elite teams. I don't buy the idea that no one was available in regards to the LW. Pre Neymar, they could have went for Lemar, Draxler, or stack the house for Hazard. Or try Griezmann for a Ronaldo-type of winger. Bayern went in on Sanchez and lost because he wanted to get paid comical levels of money. Then they panicked and quickly went for any option.. here comes James.

Nope, 3rd.

I guess I spoke too soon, we (South Africa) lost twice to Cape Verde (like 50 places lower in ranking) to give them 6 points. The draw now means we do have some chance of qualifying, though. If we beat both Senegal and Burkina Faso then we'll be top, assuming at least one beats Cape Verde. Like that will happen.

Yeah, I got the calculation wrong. But hey, as long you guys take points off of Burkina Faso (and not off Senegal again), you're all good in my book :p

I just hope you haven't inspired Cape Verde to play better in their next game...

Christ what an exercise in frustration. If this is the shit I can expect from the final four games of qualifying I am not confident in even making it next year.

Beefy

Maybe that's why he suddenly has a back problem. I didn't know he was like that. A family friend of ours is his best friend, might ask him whats the problem.

I would hope the dude would have grown out of it by now. Heard he had a gf now from the Personal Trainer who use to train him.

I remember when Clyne joined you guys. Clyne told the PT ( they are mates or were at least close mates back then) that he was only on £10k at us and was joining Liverpool to be on £20k ��

I reckon that Coutinho shit is bull, comes from a Spanish paper right? They haven't known anything since this saga started. Sides if it's really the case Suarez should get on the phone and tell him he kept on playing and it worked out fine.

Lunar FC

Dropped Howard, ouch.

Morris has missed some sitters for Sounders, it's been painful to watch him (I'm a season ticket holder). He'll probably score tonight hough :p

That first goal he allowed against Costa Rica was just embarrassing. The ball was hit with little pace from a difficult angle and he didn't even get a finger tip on it.

That sounds like bullshit. Why would Coutinho decide not to play in the most visible competition during the clubs season?

SPORT holding that L.

Let's be fair here. It wasn't Spanish newspapers saying this, it was a Barça board member that said exactly that in the press conference after losing to Real Madrid at Camp Nou.

Actually it was the papers. The Barcelona guy only said it once and like someone else pointed out it was after the Real Madrid loss.

I would hope the dude would have grown out of it by now. Heard he had a gf now from the Personal Trainer who use to train him.

I remember when Clyne joined you guys. Clyne told the PT ( they are mates or were at least close mates back then) that he was only on £10k at us and was joining Liverpool to be on £20k ��

Hopefully he has learned his lesson and isn't doing that crap anymore.

azyless

whew
image.gif

TimmmV

I doubt its that low, If hes only on £20k at Liverpool then he needs to get a new agent lol

Beefy

I doubt its that low, If hes only on £20k at Liverpool then he needs to get a new agent lol

He chatted a lot of shit it seems. Funny though.

----------------------

FIFA have turned down Leicester's application to sign Adrien Silva.

RIP Leicester

RocknRola

He chatted a lot of shit it seems. Funny though.

----------------------

FIFA have turned down Leicester's application to sign Adrien Silva.

RIP Leicester

Huh...what happens to the player now?

----------

Also, is Chile just giving up on being at the World Cup?

sammex

According to Dom King, the hold up with Can's new contract is cause he wants a release clause in there. Obvs the price he wants must be too low or otherwise the club could say, ok £150mill done. Hope we sort it cos otherwise we get nowt, and lose a good player.

RocknRola

Back to Sporting I guess? Leicester got rid of two midfielders and didn't bring in any replacements....

RIP Leicester indeed. And Adrien Silva too I guess. He's been wanting to move out for at least 1 full season now.

Also, Chile lost. If Peru, Paraguai and/or Argentina win (Argentina being the more likely scenario of the 3) they could drop to 5th (play-off) or 6th/7th (with these places already being below the play-off spot).

According to Dom King, the hold up with Can's new contract is cause he wants a release clause in there. Obvs the price he wants must be too low or otherwise the club could say, ok £150mill done. Hope we sort it cos otherwise we get nowt, and lose a good player.

I don't know why. But I'm fairly confident it will get sorted to be honest. But regardless who knows how long we will be able to keep him if he keeps playing like this.

TimmmV

Seems silly to quibble over that if he can sign for someone for nothing in January, may as well set a reasonable release clause and get to keep him for a bit longer

Also, is Chile just giving up on being at the World Cup?

I wasn't able to watch this match, so I can't comment properly (newspapers say we were terrible again). But against Paraguay, yes, it was a disaster of a match.

Honestly, I don't know what's going on, but everyone here is surprised as hell as how we went to play excellent to be total shit.

Ah well, everything has an end, I guess.

RocknRola

I wasn't able to watch this match, so I can't comment properly (newspapers say we were terrible again). But against Paraguay, yes, it was a disaster of a match.

Honestly, I don't know what's going on, but everyone here is surprised as hell as how we went to play excellent to be total shit.

Ah well, everything has an end, I guess.

And Peru is winning now, which means at least a 5th place :s Gonna be a bad fixture for Chile if Argentina and Paraguay also win...

And Peru is winning now, which means at least a 5th place :s Gonna be a bad fixture for Chile if Argentina and Paraguay also win...

See... according to all the calculations :p, Chile only needs 6 extra points in order to go directly to Russia.

Buuuuuuuuuuut...

Ecuador is way more complicated than Paraguay, and Brasil at home is pretty much unbeatable.

So, I hope to be wrong, but I think after this result, we are pretty much dead.

RocknRola

See... according to all the calculations :p, Chile only needs 6 extra points in order to go directly to Russia.

Buuuuuuuuuuut...

Ecuador is way more complicated than Paraguay, and Brasil at home is pretty much unbeatable.

So, I hope to be wrong, but I think after this result, we are pretty much dead.

Sure, but if they drop to 7th or even 6th, even if they win the next 2 games they'll need for one of those two teams directly ahead of them (4th+5th) to lose points. Which may or may not happen :S

So I'm afraid that y'all might have just kinda lost the train to Russia...it depends on how bad this fixture goes I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom