• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

@DTGuardian
FA strategy with Mark Sampson: - he's talking later, handpicked journalists (no Guardian, BBC etc), i.e FA wants "controlled environment"

Looking more and more and more dodgy as fuck. Fuck the FA

Disrepect and abuse toward officials is something I think is far more pernicious to the health of the game, or any game really, than the odd curse-word or 'obscence' gesture. But for reasons I don't really understand, no sports organization seems all that bothered about it, except maybe the NHL.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
y71fxlo.gif

Zasa

So if we lose today I have a feeling that our hopes of qualifying for the WC goes down the drain. No pressure you cunts.

zfrvwu6xdsbo.gif

Jack cw

Muller will continue to play like this when he gets these garbage based opportunities from a coach that has never utilized a player like this properly in decades of coaching. Just following the trend. Even last year Muller was playing like shit for Bayern and then balled 3 days with the national team.
Müller performs like crap under Löw, Guardiola and now Ancelotti. Since the beginning of 2015 he underperforms and is no real benefit for any squad. He totally failed in 2016 Euro as CF, and didn't even work in Guardiolas last season, when he was the second striker besides Lewandowski. Something happened after the semi KO against Atletico and Carlo even changed the whole Bayern formation from 4-3-3 to 4-1-2-3 at the second half of last season to get Müller into the CAM/HS position and he still fails against an injured James, aging Ribery and Robben, as well as Coman. Bayern even sold Costa to make space for Müller and renounced on Sanchez and Draxler because of him. Even Manuel Neuer acknowledged his subpar performances in an interview today...
With more time, the more obvious that James was a dumb fucking signing. They shouldn't have loaned him out and gotten Draxler to replace Ribery (or a winger with pace). Of course the midfield was better. Ancelotti and the board were dumb enough to believe an old, used up dinosaur like Alonso is somehow a good idea when after his first season w Bayern he shouldn't have started a single CL match in the KO rounds. And they're doing the same dumb shit with Robbery. Ancelotti is likely gonna start James over Muller.over AM instead of the board focusing on a winger.
James hasn't even played one minute in an official match for Bayern yet...
And I completely disagree with Alonso. He was Guardiolas wish and only alternative after Kroos left and Schweinsteiger and Thiago injured. Sure he was over his prime, but no other DLP with quality to lead a possession midfield of a top club was available at that time. It's still amazing that Alonso was the best Bayern player in 2015's semi against Barca while players like Alaba, Martinez, Müller, Vidal were responsible with technical flaws that we lost all those semis and last years quarters. And we might have to face the fact, that there are no players on the market that could replace Ribery and Robben, unless not for money Bayern is able or willing to pay. We tried our luck with Dembele, but he saw better chances at Dortmund. Coman is still a young talent and Costa failed for several reasons. Sanchez wanted too much money (and at an age were we need an replacement sooner than later) and Hoeneß obviously wanted no problems with unhappy Müller, Ribery and Robben. Replacing them will be nearly impossible and Draxler has yet to prove that he is good enough for a top club. Same goes for Gnabry, Brandt, etc. And Bayern actively moves away from linear wingers. Same as Madrid did. Ronaldo is more striker than winger and Bale benched. Instead Isco plays an inserted winger and Marcelo and Carvajal are playing the winger part. Carlo wants this too. So James was only logical and Kimmich and Alaba play the wings. They have the most crosses while Ribery and Robben act like midfielders. We sold Costa, he is the definition of an linear winger, something that is set to extinct.
Attack is not great. Defense and midfield on the other hand, is great. The team is a typical Robben injury away from being pitiful in attack. The only way the attack is great this season is if Coman balls the fuck out this year and replaces a decrepit Ribs on his way to it. Or they buy Sanchez in January. The team also turns too much into Arsenal when you have 3 midfielders, which I'm not a fan of. Thiago as good as he is, I don't like him as an AM. He doesn't make the runs that Muller does to offer both the necessary spacing for Lewy and proper goal threat. Unfortunately 1-note Carlo wants to play the same he's always coached his career, which is crippling one of the best talents in the team.
Yes our attack is the weakest part, but as I said, we are in transition and we changed the system that Gaal, Heynckes and Guardiola played because Carlo noticed that Ribery and Robben are over their prime (and no affordable replacements on the market) and the other top clubs started to move away from classic wingers. Lahm and Alonso were hugely involved in building up the game and now we need 3 midfielders to close this gap and the sacrifice is Müller. Lewandowski works pretty good so far and profits a lot from Kimmichs and Alabas crosses. Carlo does things I haven't expected him to do. He improves and adepts to modern football, market and what the squad is able to. And James is the missing link. With him and Thiago our build up play is going to be much better than last season.

TimmmV

Players are paid to act professional. Swearing maybe not that much, but as footballers are seen as role models for kids that could be as young as 4 or 5 . At that age they pick up things fast and swearing isn't a thing you want them picking up. He should be fined at least.

Duno, maybe I'm just not that sensitive about swearing, I just don't really see a middle finger in jest as a particularly bad offence - definitely not worth missing games over

I still remember when Clyne was here, the club had a go at him for some dodgy shit.

'apparently' dude use to go around estates etc cruising in his car for young (legal) teen gals....

Thats a shame - he always came across as pretty friendly/nice (albeit a bit thick)

I still remember when Clyne was here, the club had a go at him for some dodgy shit.

'apparently' dude use to go around estates etc cruising in his car for young (legal) teen gals....

Surprising to be honest. Reports coming going out of LFC is that he's a sound guy. Only controversy was some sex tape that leaked out, but apparently he wasn't doing anything illegal in it. Just embarrassing for him I guess.

Clyne set to miss a significant amount of time with a back injury

Welcome Ox to RB.

Trent and Joe Gomez. He should be able to avoid the RB spot.

Beefy

Thats a shame - he always came across as pretty friendly/nice (albeit a bit thick)

Surprising to be honest. Reports coming going out of LFC is that he's a sound guy. Only controversy was some sex tape that leaked out, but apparently he wasn't doing anything illegal in it. Just embarrassing for him I guess.

Maybe he has grown out of it? I would hope he had by now. Still a weird thing to do.

-----------------------
@Lewis_C
That'll be @VirgilvDijk back training with the #SaintsFC first team squad then... https://t.co/dj7HjWWvH8 https://t.co/VOTZcOHCPH

https://twitter.com/LEWIS_C/status/905103507262451712

He back fam!!

DBT85

Players are definitely role models for sure, I just don't think the middle finger is particularly bad, or something that most kids won't have seen on a playground already

It's not that bad and it's also not something kids won't have seen before. That doesn't mean that the FA couldn't easily give him some kind of punishment as it's not what is expected of a professional athlete.

The problem is probably that we all too often associate footballers with other pro athletes when they mange to highlight again and again that they are little more than man children.

I'd wish the FA would do something about the way the players deal with the officials like they claimed they were going to but they don't. That behaviour trickles all the way down to kid level on Sunday and has done for years. But we can't do too much as it's a manly manly sport and we have to act like manly manly men.

Maybe that's why he suddenly has a back problem. I didn't know he was like that. A family friend of ours is his best friend, might ask him whats the problem.

Players are paid to act professional. Swearing maybe not that much, but as footballers are seen as role models for kids that could be as young as 4 or 5 . At that age they pick up things fast and swearing isn't a thing you want them picking up. He should be fined at least.

Sorry I have to disagree with you on that one. Players are players, they are here for a job. They don't ask to be role models. The problem is society as a whole put them up on a pedestal forgetting that they are humans also.

Roma gives no fucks
https://twitter.com/ASRomaEN/status/905079993381859328

Lunar FC

The US better not fuck this up.

I'm nervous for this match. We should never be in this position but I wont care as long we qualify directly.

Really disappointed that the next generation of players still haven't arrived yet. The Dempsey/Bradley/Howard core is really on its last legs at this point.

Australia vs USA playoff for the World Cup would probably be an entertaining match up. Though I see the US getting 3rd place and qualifying directly.

I wouldn't trust any reports out of Barca or Spanish papers after this summer

How many times did they supposedly have representatives negotiating in Liverpool, how many times was Coutinho a matter of hours away from joining them?

They don't know shit.

NHale

lmao, they're fuming

That sounds like bullshit. Why would Coutinho decide not to play in the most visible competition during the clubs season?

SPORT holding that L.

I wouldn't trust any reports out of Barca or Spanish papers after this summer

How many times did they supposedly have representatives negotiating in Liverpool, how many times was Coutinho a matter of hours away from joining them?

They don't know shit.

Let's be fair here. It wasn't Spanish newspapers saying this, it was a Barça board member that said exactly that in the press conference after losing to Real Madrid at Camp Nou.

That sounds like bullshit. Why would Coutinho decide not to play in the most visible competition during the clubs season?

SPORT holding that L.

Let's be fair here. It wasn't Spanish newspapers saying this, it was a Barça board member that said exactly that in the press conference after losing to Real Madrid at Camp Nou.

Segura said it was close that one time, I'm sure there were two or three times besides then though that Barca's media lackeys reported that he was about to join them

Whether its the outlets making stuff up, being directly fed by Barca, or taking a tip and running with it in a combo of the two, they're not to be trusted.

acohrs

Ireland playing much better than Sat, although not very hard to do. Rushing going forward though, need a bit more composure in attack. Serbia look like they could do one on the counter though, great match

Coutinho won't boycott shit. He will play this season, hopefully play well. Go to the World Cup and perform there as well and if Barcelona or whoever wants to buy him next summer. Bin him off then.

Dadasch

Coutinho won't boycott shit. He will play this season, hopefully play well. Go to the World Cup and perform there as well and if Barcelona or whoever wants to buy him next summer. Bin him off then.
If he does boycott though...

FIFA needs to intervene. I'm seriously at a point where I don't even know anymore what this shitty institution does - other than nepotism obviously.

If he does boycott though...

FIFA needs to intervene. I'm seriously at a point where I don't even know anymore what this shitty institution does - other than nepotism obviously.

I agree. But I think Liverpool and some other clubs are lucky that it's a World Cup year. If he doesn't play, he won't start at the World Cup. Brazil ain't starting him after he hasn't played for us during the beginning of the season.

Well, I guess Senegal is our team now, despite us trying to fuck up the group by losing twice to Cape Verde.

Welp, Burkina Faso just tied it with a goofy goal from a free kick that bounced off a post and then off the goalie into the net.

Guh, it's against a 10 man team at that. At least it's looking like a draw right now. Still would be second place in the group, but it really is anybody's group to win.

Welp, Burkina Faso just tied it with a goofy goal from a free kick that bounced off a post and then off the goalie into the net.

Guh, it's against a 10 man team at that. At least it's looking like a draw right now. Still would be second place in the group, but it really is anybody's group to win.

Nope, 3rd.

I guess I spoke too soon, we (South Africa) lost twice to Cape Verde (like 50 places lower in ranking) to give them 6 points. The draw now means we do have some chance of qualifying, though. If we beat both Senegal and Burkina Faso then we'll be top, assuming at least one beats Cape Verde. Like that will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom