• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT10| A Street Ass Named Premier

Pep looks like the more appropriate Wenger replacement then.

Pep would be such a generic choice, rather have someone more exciting like a relatively unknown manager or at a push even Bould than Pep. Anyway despite his achievement at Barca, he is relatively unproven if you think about it. Tito being able to take over without a hitch and even get the team to play better, makes me question if that team is just an automated winning machine or there is a tactician at helm.

Anyway Wenger won't quit at least until 2014 so Pep would probably be out of the picture by then anyway.

Lukaku was 18 million? Fuck me. Belgian DNA tax?

Next Drogba tax. With Benteke on fire too, Belgium have two Drogba now, not sure how the world can handle that.

Lukaku doesn't want to be recalled in january he said and it's a smart move. Being benched for Torres is the kind of traumatizing experience that could potentially kill your career.

Kyoufu

Next Drogba tax. With Benteke on fire too, Belgium have two Drogba now, not sure how the world can handle that.

Lukaku doesn't want to be recalled in january he said and it's a smart move. Being benched for Torres is the kind of traumatizing experience that could potentially kill your career.

Indeed. Torres not only kills managerial careers but also youth developmental careers.

Salvadora

Disagree with players fiercely loyal to him. (Mourinho). He's a walking disaster in Madrid right now and Makelele outed him as being a egotistical **** towards the end of his Chelsea reign. Mourinho will have an instant impact, give you two years of success, then all of the fires he's started internally and externally will come back to burn him. Happened at Chelsea, he got out of Porto and Inter before the 3rd season blues hit.

In addition despite being entertaining he's a total shit of a person. For all of Fergusons trolling and occasional tirades, he wouldn't poke his biggest rivals assistant manager in the eye, then pretend not to know who he is, deliberately mis-pronounce his name to be closer to a slur and then fail to apologise. This all after said assistant has recently recovered from cancer.

Any club wanting to create a dynasty should stay as far, far away from the man as possible.

I completely agree. For all the success that Mourinho brings, some of the things are pretty despicable. People tend to forget that.

GorillaJu

So my grandmother's local church was burned down by an arsonist back home in the USA. They couldn't find the arsonist, but my grandmother is absolutely convinced that she saw the perp at the church the night before. She described him as an "Arab with a big afro." She opted not to call the police, but the FBI. She called the feds several times and didn't hear back from them. Eventually she heard word that the police investigation had progressed somewhat, and so she called the police.

Then a SWAT team shows up at my grandmother's house and questions her and brings her to go to a line-up. I guess she didn't go for one reason or another, but a few days later they caught the guy, a mentally unstable Japanese-American (with no hair). She is claiming credit for solving the case. :lol

Fuckin love family.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Hope this good run of form will kickstart his PL career, wonderful player, thought he would be in a top 4 club in no time. But he hasn't adapted well at all to the physicality of the league.

I hate to say it but Harry was right to pass on him two summers ago. He gets far too many injuries.

I completely agree. For all the success that Mourinho brings, some of the things are pretty despicable. People tend to forget that.

Haven't forgotten anything, want him back to troll Wenger.

So my grandmother's local church was burned down by an arsonist back home in the USA. They couldn't find the arsonist, but my grandmother is absolutely convinced that she saw the perp at the church the night before. She described him as an "Arab with a big afro." She opted not to call the police, but the FBI. She called the feds several times and didn't hear back from them. Eventually she heard word that the police investigation had progressed somewhat, and so she called the police.

Then a SWAT team shows up at my grandmother's house and questions her and brings her to go to a line-up. I guess she didn't go for one reason or another, but a few days later they caught the guy, a mentally unstable Japanese-American (with no hair). She is claiming credit for solving the case. :lol

Fuckin love family.

He could have shaved his head! Grandma redeemed.

Pep would be such a generic choice, rather have someone more exciting like a relatively unknown manager or at a push even Bould than Pep. Anyway despite his achievement at Barca, he is relatively unproven if you think about it. Tito being able to take over without a hitch and even get the team to play better, makes me question if that team is just an automated winning machine or there is a tactician at helm.

Anyway Wenger won't quit at least until 2014 so Pep would probably be out of the picture by then anyway.

A generic choice? WTF does that even mean? If by generic, you mean talented, intelligent, successful, hard working, tactically astute, passionate...

But you are right. Arsenal should pick an exciting unknown choice like Walcott to be player manager. That'd put the cat amongst the pigeons!

As for the Barcelona machine, much of the reason why Tito is succeeding now is because Pep laid the framework for that success, just because Barcelona are doing well now, shouldn't mean that people underestimate the mess that they were in before he took over and how he turned things around. I'm not taking away anything from Villanova because he has added a directness to Barcelona this year which makes us extremely dangerous and Fabregas has really flourished under him. But it's too early to tell how much of this is the players rediscovering some of that hunger they lost last season and how much losing to Madrid (and Mourinho in particular) hurt.

And Rafa.

iXXTUDzL6lmEC.gif

A generic choice? WTF does that even mean? If by generic, you mean talented, intelligent, successful, hard working, tactically astute, passionate...

But you are right. Arsenal should pick an exciting unknown choice like Walcott to be player manager. That'd put the cat amongst the pigeons!

As for the Barcelona machine, much of the reason why Tito is succeeding now is because Pep laid the framework for that success, just because Barcelona are doing well now, shouldn't mean that people underestimate the mess that they were in before he took over and how he turned things around. I'm not taking away anything from Villanova because he has added a directness to Barcelona this year which makes us extremely dangerous and Fabregas has really flourished under him. But it's too early to tell how much of this is the players rediscovering some of that hunger they lost last season and how much losing to Madrid (and Mourinho in particular) hurt.

By generic I mean it's the choice almost everyone wants, he is of course a good manager but doesn't really seem Arsenal style to actually get somebody already at the top. Also to be honest the questioning his ability in regards to Villanova, it's really because last year either the club or the media were making so much noise about Tito actually being the mastermind that I guess I've just started somewhat believing it on some level.

By generic I mean it's the choice almost everyone wants, he is of course a good manager but doesn't really seem Arsenal style to actually get somebody already at the top.

In all of this Arsenal don't need a new manager anyway. Wenger is still the best man for the job. Once the stadium debt is fully paid off, Arsenal will have plenty of cash for transfers and be self sustainable without relying on oil billionaires. Arsenal are pretty much the perfect model of how to run a club, but the influence of Abramovich in particular and now Sheikh Mansour have completely skewed English football. Difficult to keep/attract the best footballers when your main rivals can pay insane wages, insane transfer fees and seemingly don't give a shit about losing money hand over fist.

dc89

What City need to do in January according to BBC's 'football expert' Mark Lawrenson:

What they need in a nutshell: To ditch 'Super Mario'.

Window shopping: The first thing Roberto Mancini needs to do on 1 January is sell Mario Balotelli. He keeps upsetting the applecart and he is not a good enough player to justify it. I would get him out of the door and bring in another striker.
Micah Richards is on his way back from injury but they might need another centre-back too. Mancini clearly does not fancy Joleon Lescott and Kolo Toure is away with Ivory Coast at the Africa Cup of Nations.
Kolo's brother Yaya will also be going to South Africa and will be a big miss in midfield but Mancini needs Javi Garcia to step up rather than bring anyone else in.

Linked with: Daniele De Rossi 29, CM (Roma) Mamadou Sakho 23, CB (PSG) Pedro Franco 21, CB/CM Millionarios Paulinho 24, CM (Corinthians) Fernando Llorente 27, CF (Atletico) David Villa 31, CF (Barcelona)

Kyoufu

Someone ask faridmon the full list of injuries they have from their first team (if any) for tomorrow's game. I think Neville and Gibbson are out but they're not huge losses right?

someone ask him plz kthx

In all of this Arsenal don't need a new manager anyway. Wenger is still the best man for the job. Once the stadium debt is fully paid off, Arsenal will have plenty of cash for transfers and be self sustainable without relying on oil billionaires. Arsenal are pretty much the perfect model of how to run a club, but the influence of Abramovich in particular and now Sheikh Mansour have completely skewed English football. Difficult to keep/attract the best footballers when your main rivals can pay insane wages, insane transfer fees and seemingly don't give a shit about losing money hand over fist.

While I agree about Wenger, he is getting on a bit in age and tho I hope I'm wrong based on his language I actually don't think he'll renew his contract.

Anyway Arsenal problem wasn't so much the oil tycoon but we were barely earning anything from our sponsorship deals, the majority of our money was coming from player sales and the stadium. Now that we have our sponsorship and the kit deal(according to rumours) sorted out, I actually believe Gazidi when he says we will be competitive in two years time.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Someone ask faridmon the full list of injuries they have from their first team (if any) for tomorrow's game. I think Neville and Gibbson are out but they're not huge losses right?

someone ask him plz kthx

Neville
Gibson
Coleman
Hibbert
Mirallas

dc89

someone ask him plz kthx

Neville, Gibson, Hibbert, Coleman, Mirallas.

GorillaJu

Fuck. 4 point gap between us and Fulham... We're going down or pulling an Everton 17th.

There's no way you're going down. Reading and QPR are gone for sure, and Wigan, Aston Villa and Southampton are all more likely to go down than Newcastle. But you could use a new Belgian, applied directly to forehead.

When Cabaye comes back you'll be fine, probably finish around 10th.

Kyoufu

Neville
Gibson
Coleman
Hibbert
Mirallas

Neville, Gibson, Hibbert, Coleman, Mirallas.

Any of them key players? :(

There's no way you're going down. Reading and QPR are gone for sure, and Wigan, Aston Villa and Southampton are all more likely to go down than Newcastle. But you could use a new Belgian, applied directly to forehead.

When Cabaye comes back you'll be fine, probably finish around 10th.

I'm worried because our defense is poop ham sandwich and we haven't won an away game since May.........

We've been relegated once already so it's still possible.

bud

this is simply not true. i've seen them plenty of times this season, and they're nowhere near the level they were at during the guardiola-era. the results are great, and messi's scoring lots of goals, but that's about it.

dc89

Any of them key players? :(

Ermmmm. I don't think Everton have the biggest squad going in the league. And I'm sure 3/4 of these would have featured over Christmas. So I guess the best you can wish for is a bit of tiredness to set in.

this is simply not true. i've seen them plenty of times this season, and they're nowhere near the level they were at during the guardiola-era. the results are great, and messi's scoring lots of goals, but that's about it.

Was more talking along the line of win stats than play style.

While I agree about Wenger, he is getting on a bit in age and tho I hope I'm wrong based on his language I actually don't think he'll renew his contract.

Anyway Arsenal problem wasn't so much the oil tycoon but we were barely earning anything from our sponsorship deals, the majority of our money was coming from player sales and the stadium. Now that we have our sponsorship and the kit deal(according to rumours) sorted out, I actually believe Gazidi when he says we will be competitive in two years time.

Take a second to think about where Arsenal would be now without Abramovich and Mansour. No Abramovich, Chelsea were in dire financial straits in spite of a decent finish under Ranieri. Would probably have been forced to sell Lampard and their other best players. Wenger spots a muscular high scoring player called Drogba who plays in Ligue 1. Using his french connections he persuades him to come to Arsenal and also an unhappy Makelele recently tured out at Real Madrid. Makelele takes over Viera's role in the Arsenal team, albeit in a more cerebral fashion. With Drogba and Henry combining Arsenal win the title and spend the next 5 years vying with Man United for titles. Whilst Man U still win more often than Arsenal, they still pick up a couple of EPL titles, the FA cup and finally win the Champions League.

Disagree. Start of the season maybe, but pretty much since then they've been excellent albeit shaky defensively. It's easy to rose tint the Pep years, but even under Pep we've got this many games in the league with so few losses/draws. Barcelona have been playing extremely well in the league for the past 10 games.

Top Bottom