• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT15| About as productive as Tika Taka

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

You're not into games anymore, right?

A watch maybe?

Yes, good shout

277970d1271821828-new-omega-seamaster-omega-seamaster-2.jpg

I'm hoping when Viva says a lot he means a lot

Yes, good shout

277970d1271821828-new-omega-seamaster-omega-seamaster-2.jpg

I'm hoping when Viva says a lot he means a lot
I'm not really into watches. I already have a fairly simple swatch one which I'm happy with. I'm quite slight so fancy watches wouldn't really suit me I don't think...

3DS might be the shout. Either that or clothes but I already buy lots of clothes and never wear them.

Yen

Viva, you could probably buy about 1000 of those cheap Bic biros for that kind of money. That'd set you for life.

Viva, what do you make of these Garay rumours?
Not sure really. RI were very sure that we have an interest.

Maybe the switch of agent is just a co-incident or maybe it's a first step towards a potential move. I would be disappointed if we signed him tbh, I haven't watched him recently but I don't ever remember thinking he was a brilliant player.

Mendes that prick, needs to send James our way. (RI still reckon there's life in that one but I can't see it now)

Clegg

Not sure really. RI were very sure that we have an interest.

Maybe the switch of agent is just a co-incident or maybe it's a first step towards a potential move. I would be disappointed if we signed him tbh, I haven't watched him recently but I don't ever remember thinking he was a brilliant player.

Mendes that prick, needs to send James our way. (RI still reckon there's life in that one but I can't see it now)

Garay looks like one of those solid defenders that can have the occasional howler. Jonny Evans esque. We could always do with another solid CB but I'd hope we'd be looking at someone with a higher profile.

Does RI know of any interest in James?

Clegg

Mirror now reporting that United will offer Rooney a new contract.

A couple of days ago they were saying he'd be sold in the summer. The Press knows nothing.

Salvadora

The Mirror is saying that if Tottenham qualify for the Champion's League, they'll shatter their wage structure and offer Bale up to £170,000 a week.

Sounds like shit, but I'm worried for Arsenal's future.

Garay looks like one of those solid defenders that can have the occasional howler. Jonny Evans esque. We could always do with another solid CB but I'd hope we'd be looking at someone with a higher profile.

Does RI know of any interest in James?
Yeah agree about Garay, think if we sign a CB it needs to be a really top one or at least somebody with that potential - would be pointless anyway.

Nothing much on James, same as they and other people been saying for a while. Interested but not exactly pulling out stops. Whenever they have mentioned James they always say that Chelsea have basically decided to match whatever any other team offers. But maybe not now they signed Hazard. I have a feeling Nani is going to stay now...and with Zaha signed I doubt we'll be in for a winger/forward. Only if Rooney leaves.

RI think we will sign a CB for sure and that one of Rio/Vidic is leaving.

A couple of days ago they were saying he'd be sold in the summer. The Press knows nothing.
All the papers are running that. They know what they're briefed about.

The reason they're all saying he is gonna be given a new contract is because of a fairly loose quote from Fergie. Something like "when the time comes he will get a new contract".

Clegg

Remember when United were knocked out by Mourinho's Porto in the CL?

This was our team for that game:

Howard, Phil Neville, Gary Neville, Brown, O'Shea, Fletcher, Djemba-Djemba, Butt, Giggs, Scholes, van Nistelrooy

That's pretty mediocre.

Timurid

FM legend.
I'm going get him in my Empoli save and see if he is really a legend.

IF he does leave, that will be a huge blow to united. He is a type of player that you see once in every 30 years or so. If he goes to PSG that will be huge, but I still want a natural poacher like Falcao.

Clegg

Yeah agree about Garay, think if we sign a CB it needs to be a really top one or at least somebody with that potential - would be pointless anyway.

Nothing much on James, same as they and other people been saying for a while. Interested but not exactly pulling out stops. Whenever they have mentioned James they always say that Chelsea have basically decided to match whatever any other team offers. But maybe not now they signed Hazard. I have a feeling Nani is going to stay now...and with Zaha signed I doubt we'll be in for a winger/forward. Only if Rooney leaves.

RI think we will sign a CB for sure and that one of Rio/Vidic is leaving.

All the papers are running that. They know what they're briefed about.

The reason they're all saying he is gonna be given a new contract is because of a fairly loose quote from Fergie. Something like "when the time comes he will get a new contract".

You're right that if Nani and Rooney stay then we really don't need another forward. We have a good enough attacking line-up as it is. But I'd still love to see James at United . Fuck Chelsea though.

So RI think one of Rio/Vidic will leave and that Garay might be a replacement? That would be a downgrade imo. Any word on CM?

I still want Rooney to stay. He has another 2 or 3 good years in him imo.

jtb

Banned
The Mirror is saying that if Tottenham qualify for the Champion's League, they'll shatter their wage structure and offer Bale up to £170,000 a week.

Sounds like shit, but I'm worried for Arsenal's future.

Sounds like paper bullshit, didn't Bale just extend his contract recently? Guess it wouldn't hurt to tie him down for even longer, though. If they were willing to break their wage structure for Adebayor (lol), then they might as well do it again for a legitimately top player.

You're right that if Nani and Rooney stay then we really don't need another forward. We have a good enough attacking line-up as it is. But I'd still love to see James at United . Fuck Chelsea though.

So RI think one of Rio/Vidic will leave and that Garay might be a replacement? That would be a downgrade imo. Any word on CM?
That was a while ago though, around Jan. They said we were definitely looking at CB's and Garay was one of them. Also mentioned Zouma. But at that time they felt Rio was more likely leaving and that Vidic had big question marks over his knee. Since then it seems both of those have gone the other way.

Last stories they had on CM were Wanyama/Strootman. They mentioned that Strootman agent story. But nothing for a while.

Everything on there lately has been about Rooney and Ronaldo.

Salvadora

Why would you worry about that?

I'm worried because it shows that Tottenham would (potentially) be willing to break the bank to keep their star players whilst Arsenal let ours go. Obviously Bale will in all likelihood go to Madrid for reasons other than money, just like many of our players had reasons other than financial gain to transfer clubs but it just doesn't bode well for our Champion's League hopes.
Sounds like paper bullshit, didn't Bale just extend his contract recently? Guess it wouldn't hurt to tie him down for even longer, though. If they were willing to break their wage structure for Adebayor (lol), then they might as well do it again for a legitimately top player.
I believe he did. It just shows a statement of intent that just isn't there at Arsenal. Although, to be fair Fabregas was on an 8 year deal.

That was a while ago though, around Jan. They said we were definitely looking at CB's and Garay was one of them. Also mentioned Zouma. But at that time they felt Rio was more likely leaving and that Vidic had big question marks over his knee. Since then it seems both of those have gone the other way.

Last stories they had on CM were Wanyama/Strootman. They mentioned that Strootman agent story. But nothing for a while.

Everything on there lately has been about Rooney and Ronaldo.

I... really don't want Ronaldo. For the price he just isn't worth it. If we had oil money then maybe, but we don't, so I'm not keen on a highly expensive nostalgia signing.

DANIEL LEVY BREAKS HIS WAGE STRUCTURE FOR NO MAN

I thought they only signed big Ade on usual wages, its the shit load of payoff from City that made his wages good.

I... really don't want Ronaldo. For the price he just isn't worth it. If we had oil money then maybe, but we don't, so I'm not keen on a highly expensive nostalgia signing.
It's not going to happen.

I wouldn't say I don't want him. He's a hero and he's an incredible player. Couldn't say no.

But it would take a crazy amount of money - don't think anybody is serious enough about it to make it happen.

I doubt Madrid will sell but 20m should get him after the poor season he's had so far.

Why the talk of a Ronaldo return? I can't see that happening at all

Let me dream man.

It's not going to happen.

I wouldn't say I don't want him. He's a hero and he's an incredible player. Couldn't say no.

But it would take a crazy amount of money - don't think anybody is serious enough about it to make it happen.

Was that Nike deal even a little true? If so, how would it work?

Salvadora

You could always sell him onto an oil club after you get a few years out of him. If you have the opportunity you should jump at the chance to get Ronaldo.

Lightning

Banned
I'm worried because it shows that Tottenham would (potentially) be willing to break the bank to keep their star players whilst Arsenal let ours go. Obviously Bale will in all likelihood go to Madrid for reasons other than money, just like many of our players had reasons other than financial gain to transfer clubs but it just doesn't bode well for our Champion's League hopes.
Spurs know Bale will go eventually and all they are doing with this "desire to keep him" is maximising their profits when the sale time comes through. That is the main thing we didn't do with our players.

Spurs are not going to be breaking the bank, recording losses etc anytime soon just to maintain CL football. We should also want them to break the bank like that for Bale, unlike Chelsea/City, Spurs don't have unlimited funds so if they splash it on huge wages for Bale the chances are they won't be able to bring in world class strikers or a Moutinho who will also command such wages. So the rope is tight for them too but they are showing more ambition than we are because we HAVE the funds and revenue to do this but simply will not do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom