• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT15| About as productive as Tika Taka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

That was a while ago though, around Jan. They said we were definitely looking at CB's and Garay was one of them. Also mentioned Zouma. But at that time they felt Rio was more likely leaving and that Vidic had big question marks over his knee. Since then it seems both of those have gone the other way.

Last stories they had on CM were Wanyama/Strootman. They mentioned that Strootman agent story. But nothing for a while.

Everything on there lately has been about Rooney and Ronaldo.

Cheers for the info, Viva.

That Ronaldo story just seems so unlikely though. I'm sure he wouldn't mind the idea of coming back to United but he's already at his dream club. I can't see why he'd want to leave them. And then come the financial difficulties of signing him. That Nike story might be true and he'd even pay for his own transfer over the course of 4 or 5 years. But the huge amounts of money that would be involved makes me think that it won't happen.

Was that Nike deal even a little true? If so, how would it work?
Alot of people who seem to have a good track record have been mentioning it for a couple of months. So I think there is an element of truth to it.

I guess the idea would be that Nike would contribute to the cost of the transfer and in exchange United would renew their deal with Nike. United's deal with Nike works in such a way that Nike pay the club a specific amount (last year it was £32m) and in return United handover all merchandising control to Nike. Whatever profits are made, the vast majority go to Nike.

If we sign Ronaldo we will sell a shitload of Ronaldo goodies to our 659m fans and Nike would make their money back.

That would be the gist of it.

But none of this is at a stage where the wheels are turning. It's just an idea, nothing more.

Clegg

Zaha to the Leeds fans.

He's made of the right stuff.

BE8so-pCEAALIx2.jpg

Salvadora

Spurs know Bale will go eventually and all they are doing with this "desire to keep him" is maximising their profits when the sale time comes through. That is the main thing we didn't do with our players.

Spurs are not going to be breaking the bank, recording losses etc anytime soon just to maintain CL football. We should also want them to break the bank like that for Bale, unlike Chelsea/City, Spurs don't have unlimited funds so if they splash it on huge wages for Bale the chances are they won't be able to bring in world class strikers or a Moutinho who will also command such wages. So the rope is tight for them too but they are showing more ambition than we are because we HAVE the funds and revenue to do this but simply will not do it.
Look at how Levy handled the Modric situation. He will get every single penny that Bale is worth unlike Arsenal who let our players go for a pittance.

It's very worrying that we have not spent money considering the position that we're in. After last season it was very clear we would be in a real fight to obtain a Champion's League spot with or without RVP. What followed in the summer was a disgrace. I'm not even confident we would spent money if we dropped out of the top 4 either, which is frightening. Some very dark days are ahead.

Look at how Levy handled the Modric situation. He will get every single penny that Bale is worth unlike Arsenal who let our players go for a pittance.

It's very worrying that we have not spent money considering the position that we're in. After last season it was very clear we would be in a real fight to obtain a Champion's League spot with or without RVP. What followed in the summer was a disgrace. I'm not even confident we would spent money if we dropped out of the top 4 either, which is frightening. Some very dark days are ahead.
It was incredible to see that the club only made a profit because of player sales last year.

But in some ways that might be a good indicator. Seeing as there is a minimum of £100m extra revenue coming in this year...it will be unlike years before where the profit margin was determined solely by player sales/property sales.

Levy is an absolute cunt at negotiating - you don't get to the figure he wants then no deal. He still wants 15mil for David Bentley.

You would want him on your side though.

FootballFan

Nah it's just because you are always there to defend him like clockwork. It's almost as if you have his name on google alerts. Messi sucks, Ronaldo sucks. Quaresma is the best. Who cares.

I dunno I guess I am a barca SUPPORTER. I will always reply to negative remarks to our players except for Sanchez/Cesc/Valdes.

I was in here arguing about Villa last week too, Villa PR confirmed. It's only normal that the most popular player in the world is the one that will be talked about the most.

Timurid

I dunno I guess I am a barca SUPPORTER. I will always reply to negative remarks to our players except for Sanchez/Cesc/Valdes.

I was in here arguing about Villa last week too, Villa PR confirmed. It's only normal that the most popular player in the world is the one that will be talked about the most.

Barca sucks just like me in fifa. The ultimate insult!
Shuuurrruuuppp

4EDcUaI.gif
That gif is adorable.

Levy is an absolute cunt at negotiating - you don't get to the figure he wants then no deal. He still wants 15mil for David Bentley.

Levy is a master negotiator but the one downside of his tactic is that he always gets stuff done late on in the window, or at least it seems that way. He waits until the pressure is on and then drives his hard bargain.

Sometimes if won't come off and it's always better to get the player in ASAP, esp in the summer.

By and large it works for Spurs so can't complain.

Salvadora

He should leave Spurs and work on a freelance basis helping clubs sell their big players. We need someone like him at Arsenal. Levy wouldn't have let Cesc go for the price that Wenger did. Fuck sentimentality, this is a business.

It was incredible to see that the club only made a profit because of player sales last year.

But in some ways that might be a good indicator. Seeing as there is a minimum of £100m extra revenue coming in this year...it will be unlike years before where the profit margin was determined solely by player sales/property sales.
I was shocked to hear that. I honestly thought Arsenal were making money hand over fist.

Lightning

Banned

I don't think we will spend much if we drop out, I don't think we'll do much until there is either a change of manager or change in direction. Wenger has a lot of pride and hates big money transfers. He looks at stats and thinks minor tweaks is all it takes. He brought up that we've conceded less goals than Spurs and had the best away defence in the league twice before the Spurs game and again after the game while ignoring the obvious glaring errors. Vermaelen didn't have a clue what was happening against Spurs and not for the first time this season and I've seen nothing from Wenger to suggest he is any wiser.

As for our attack it's just sucks. Much more than a defensive mid is required to fix that mess. There are games where we look more toothless than 10 men behind the ball Stoke.

In saying this, Wenger truly loves being in the top 4. I doubt he will field a squad next season that he feels are not capable of achieveing it. Problem is, top 4 should not be the limit of our ambitions, we are Arsenal not Spurs, and should be fielding a squad capable of winning everything we are involved in. That's why it's so frustrating.

Salvadora

I don't think we will spend much if we drop out, I don't think we'll do much until there is either a change of manager or change in direction. Wenger has a lot of pride and hates big money transfers. He looks at stats and thinks minor tweaks is all it takes. He brought up that we've conceded less goals than Spurs and had the best away defence in the lague twice before the Spurs game and again after the game while ignoring the obvious glaring errors. Vermaelen didn't have a clue what was happening against Spurs and not for the first time this season and I've seen nothing from Wenger to suggest he is any wiser.

As for our attack it's just sucks. Much more than a defensive mid is required to fix that mess. There are games where we look more toothless than 10 men behind the ball Stoke.

At times this is the worst attacking side that I've ever seen from Arsenal. We struggle to make even half chances let alone finish them leading me to be mystified about how this is a Wenger team.

Wenger looks utterly clueless to these problems frequently coming out with stuff like, "there are no defensive midfielders in the modern game" which do nothing other than fan the flames of resentment as I feel like I'm watching a ship slowly sink.

Our defence has been shite for years and he's done nothing to solve it. I'm not confident that he can solve these problems or that he even acknowledges them. Don't even get me started on Vermaelen who has cost us more than a few points this season.

Lightning

Banned
At times this is the worst attacking side that I've ever seen from Arsenal. We struggle to make even half chances let alone finish them leading me to be mystified about how this is a Wenger team.

Wenger looks utterly clueless to these problems frequently coming out with stuff like, "there are no defensive midfielders in the modern game" which do nothing other than fan the flames of resentment as I feel like I'm watching a ship slowly sink.

Our defence has been shite for years and he's done nothing to solve it. I'm not confident that he can solve these problems or that he even acknowledges them. Don't even get me started on Vermaelen who has cost us more than a few points this season.
We'll field a compeitive squad capable of achieveing top 4 it means a lot to Wenger but we should be aiming for so much more. Top 4 should be the bare minimum of the failure not the high point of success of a season for a team like Arsenal.

I hope Wenger pulls finger and does what must be done but I'm not overly confident. I just want him to end on a high, not with us in the Europa league with no world class players.

Hey, that was a great match. and when it mattered Messi scored 4 amazing goals.
He did great that game. Lest see if he can do it against Milan. He couldn't do it against Madrid when it mattered, couldn't do it against Chelsea when it mattered and failed in the first leg against Milan. Show us your stuff Messi!

FootballFan

He couldn't do it against Madrid when it mattered, couldn't do it against Chelsea when it mattered and failed in the first leg against Milan. Show us your stuff Messi!

But you can do that for anyone. You are just naming every stage Barca lost in lol. What about all the other years or matches before that stage that mattered just as much?

Zidane couldn't do it against Italy when it mattered, Ronaldinho couldn't do it against Liverpool when it mattered, CR7 couldn't do it against Barca in the CL semi's when it mattered, he couldn't do it against Bayern when it mattered in last years semi's, Rooney couldn't do it against Barca when it mattered, Cesc couldn't do it against Barca when it mattered etc.

When in fact all the games before matter too.

edit
My point is, if Messi would have scored a hat trick against Chelsea but then failed against Bayern you would be in here saying "He failed against Bayern when it mattered"

jtb

Banned
But you can do that for anyone. You are just naming every stage Barca lost in lol. What about all the other years or matches before that stage that mattered just as much?

Zidane couldn't do it against Italy when it mattered, Ronaldinho couldn't do it against Liverpool when it mattered, CR7 couldn't do it against Barca in the CL semi's when it mattered, he couldn't do it against Bayern when it mattered in last years semi's, Rooney couldn't do it against Barca when it mattered, etc.

When in fact all the games before matter too.

Eh, while I agree with what you're saying, some of your examples are pretty terrible. Zidane scored against Italy (okay, it was a penalty but still....), Ronaldo scored twice against Bayern (okay, another penalty.....), Rooney scored against Barcelona in the CL final, etc. I mean, Messi's been poor by his own standards during the 3 big games. Like one shot on target across the three games. Maybe getting some rest will be good for him—we'll see.

Messi's usually great in just about every competition. This season he's not. He gets praise when he plays well, he'll get criticism when he doesn't.

FootballFan

Eh, while I agree with what you're saying, some of your examples are pretty terrible. Zidane scored against Italy (okay, it was a penalty but still....), Ronaldo scored twice against Bayern (okay, another penalty.....), Rooney scored against Barcelona in the CL final, etc. I mean, Messi's been poor by his own standards during the 3 big games. Like one shot on target across the three games. Maybe getting some rest will be good for him—we'll see.

Messi's usually great in just about every competition. This season he's not. He gets praise when he plays well, he'll get criticism when he doesn't.

Messi scored against Madrid too, doesn't mean he played well. Zidane scored a penalty and his red card literally cost France a world cup trophy.., Ronaldo screwed up in the penalty shoot out when it mattered against Bayern, in Rooney's case, I can't blame him.

And I do agree that he has been worse in the last couple of weeks, but so has the whole team(might be related), but to just name every stage Barca didn't get past and say he failed is wrong too. Because as I mentioned in my previous point, you can do that for every single player/coach.

Does Lightning expect Barca to win the CL every season? Bound to fail at some point.

jtb

Banned
Messi scored against Madrid too, doesn't mean he played well. Zidane scored a penalty and his red card literally cost France a world cup trophy.., Ronaldo screwed up in the penalty shoot out when it mattered against Bayern, in Rooney's case, I can't blame him.

And I do agree that he has been worse in the last couple of weeks, but so has the whole team(might be related), but to just name every stage Barca didn't get past and say he failed is wrong too. Because as I mentioned in my previous point, you can do that for every single player/coach.

Does Lightning expect Barca to win the CL every season? Bound to fail at some point.

well, I can't speak for Lightning and it's a bit early to start shitting on Barca and Messi (that'll come when they get knocked out on Tuesday) but for the "greatest player of all time" on the "greatest club side of all time"? Sure, why not!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom