• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT17| Jordan Henderson for Ballon d'Or

Fuck you spurs. Now lets together focus on destroying Chelsea so they are Europa again next season! Lets get it done

Now hoping for Chelsea vs Benfica. Best shot at getting rid of Chelsea.

I like you more and more as each day goes by. If only you change your damn avatar! Can't you have Flapianksi?

Wilbur

Banned
Fine. Take Wenger out of it.

I'm absolutely in love with you and if you'll let me I'd like to let you ejaculate on me

Guardian reckon we could be looking at £12 million to get Ashley Williams in the summer. Arsenal apparently bid £9 million in Jan, but were told no by Swansea.

I'd pay it personally.

Yeah. You won't find many defenders for much cheaper that can do what you need. Can play passing game, used to the league, British, and most importantly pretty good.

They're not shit though. I have noticed that a lot of the time you lose, you claim it's because you were really shit as opposed to any opposition strength :lol

Basel were really good over the two legs, and they're now in the semi finals. They're deserving of praise. Just like Liverpool were deserving of praise when they beat you, but - haven't looked back to check - I'm guessing you just said you were shit.

That's only because Zenit have been really shit this season! I said we were shit even when we beat Liverpool because we were. And against Basel, Danny missed miraculously from 3 feet away, Bystrov hit the post and then Shirokov missed a late penalty. Basel got a bit lucky, just ask Kenka.

If Tottenham is a team with CL ambitions then they shouldn't be proud of how they performed in a losing effort against Basel.

ioEH1RDoPp0yP.gif

God...that running in place makes me want to punch him in the mouth.

The way he about to start celebrating, and then sees it going over the bar is quite something.

We received £25 million for this man....

That's only because Zenit have been really shit this season! I said we were shit even when we beat Liverpool because we were. And against Basel, Danny missed miraculously from 3 feet away, Bystrov hit the post and then Shirokov missed a late penalty. Basel got a bit lucky, just ask Kenka.

If Tottenham is a team with CL ambitions then they shouldn't be proud of how they performed in a losing effort against Basel.

There is two teams in a football match, I know you are used to boring Russian football but come on...

On paper we are a much stronger team than Basel yes but in reality we had several key players missing and have hit a really bad run domestically. Basel did exactly what they needed to at WHL, played compact and created chances putting us on the back foot. The second leg was always going to be against us the minute Bale went off injured and we were only level meaning they had the away goal advantage.

Tonight we couldn't catch a break, go one up and a silly mistake gets them back in it, they then go all out early in the second half and get that goal that puts them back infront on agg rather than away goals.

I am guessing you are a football manager kind of bloke, thinks football is about how to line up a team on a bit of paper and bang you instantly win. Basel are in the competition for a reason because they play well as a team and have some promising talent coming through.

But you are right, they haven't gone and spent £50m on a world superstar so they are shit.

Noirulus

I really wish Moutinho went to Spurs after Madrid bought Modric ;_; Porto is a better club but Moutinho would have caught more international attention in an EPL team and might benefit from a new challenge. Plus he could play with his previous coach AVB.

Wilbur

Banned
Bale, Lennon, Defoe, Lloris and Sandro missing from the start tonight, Sandro out as well obviously. Basel play in a weaker league and they're a good team. Spurs fucked up at home but tonight they put in a shift.

Slizz

Oh man, I go outside to do yardwork and see that Ade penalty .gif..... lmfao...... Spurs need a striker and they need one yesterday.

SMD

Guardian reckon we could be looking at £12 million to get Ashley Williams in the summer. Arsenal apparently bid £9 million in Jan, but were told no by Swansea.

I'd pay it personally.

I'm glad you'd pay it personally because it'd be mindboggling if we bought him at all in the summer, let alone for that much.

You could buy a much better centre half from Europe for half that. It's not even a contest, Ashley Williams is terrible. I'd rather keep Carragher on for another year.

Ashley Williams, fucking hell. We've sunk low.

Clegg

This is by the Daily Mail but it's a transfer story so I'm gonna post it.

They're saying we're after a 17 year old Belgian striker who turned us down last season. £3.5m though.

But he's from Adnan's old club. We have to sign him.

There is two teams in a football match, I know you are used to boring Russian football but come on...

On paper we are a much stronger team than Basel yes but in reality we had several key players missing and have hit a really bad run domestically. Basel did exactly what they needed to at WHL, played compact and created chances putting us on the back foot. The second leg was always going to be against us the minute Bale went off injured and we were only level meaning they had the away goal advantage.

Tonight we couldn't catch a break, go one up and a silly mistake gets them back in it, they then go all out early in the second half and get that goal that puts them back infront on agg rather than away goals.

I am guessing you are a football manager kind of bloke, thinks football is about how to line up a team on a bit of paper and bang you instantly win. Basel are in the competition for a reason because they play well as a team and have some promising talent coming through.

But you are right, they haven't gone and spent £50m on a world superstar so they are shit.
I agree with you that the tie was lost for Tottenham in the first leg. I was just surprised by your reaction. Basel obviously isn't shit, they're solid, I just meant that they're not a team where you should be admiring your lads for how they played in a losing effort. Maybe I just misjudged Tottenham's ambitions. I thought they were similar to Zenit really, trying to get up there and compete with the big boys.

If Arsenal can take at least 4 points out of the Norwich and Everton games, I'd say 5th is probably where Spurs are headed. If they take all 6, and Spurs lose to City, that's game over.

I agree with you that the tie was lost for Tottenham in the first leg. I was just surprised by your reaction. Basel obviously isn't shit, they're solid, I just meant that they're not a team where you should be admiring your lads for how they played in a losing effort. Maybe I just misjudged Tottenham's ambitions. I thought they were similar to Zenit really, trying to get up there and compete with the big boys.

13 players gave it everything tonight in the Spurs shirt, Ade ...well Ade is Ade.

Why shouldn't I be proud of their effort? What good is it saying "meh we lost THEY'RE ALL SHIT". Some of us appreciate football and don't just look at results, if you can't admit there was a better team then you aren't really a football fan, you can't win every game.

I believed we would do it right up until Vertonghen sending off, we had the momentum, then it swung back to them. The penalties were always 50/50 but I have never witnessed us win a penalty shootout so had little hope, especially when Ade did what he did.

Anderson

If Arsenal can take at least 4 points out of the Norwich and Everton, I'd say 5th is probably where Spurs are headed. If they take all 6, and Spurs lose to City, that's game over.

We got very lucky last year, so it's still too hard to predict what will happen. Any team can beat us when we just go through the motions. Norwich at home should be 3 points but we do like to make things harder then they should be

Scum

Bale, Lennon, Defoe, Lloris and Sandro missing from the start tonight, Sandro out as well obviously. Basel play in a weaker league and they're a good team. Spurs fucked up at home but tonight they put in a shift.

Oh man, I go outside to do yardwork and see that Ade penalty .gif..... lmfao...... Spurs need a striker and they need one yesterday.
Falcao to Spurs.

There is going to be a ton of pressure on AVB if they end up in 5th. Unfair bit reality.
I'd be seriouly pissed off at any 'pressure' talk on AVB. He's tactically astute. We were falling apart in Jan last season when 'Arry was about.

We got very lucky last year, so it's still too hard to predict what will happen. Any team can beat us when we just go through the motions. Norwich at home should be 3 points but we do like to make things harder then they should be

I think dropping points midweek to Everton is more likely than Norwich, their form hasn't been good. While Everton drew to Spurs, they're a very difficult club to play.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
If Arsenal can take at least 4 points out of the Norwich and Everton, I'd say 5th is probably where Spurs are headed. If they take all 6, and Spurs lose to City, that's game over.

Chelsea have to go to Old Trafford, Anfield, Craven Cottage, and play Spurs, Everton and Swansea at home. They are in the FA Cup and Europa semi finals.

They will drop points. We need to use this break well and recover mentally, too many goals given away recently, when players like Dembele are playing hospital balls and getting hooked after 55 minutes, something is not right.

dc89

I remembered I said I'd snap a pic of my boots for the benefit of AdidasPredatorGAF.

Sorry for low lighting, I was in my car! And yes I have used them :lol. They just wear really well, really well made and even the printing on the inserts inside doesn't rub away. Best Predators in quite some time, and I can say that because I've had the previous 2 generations.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I don't think we've been awarded a pelanty in normal time footy thus season, have we?

Dempsey at Norwich, Capital One Cup. He missed of course.

Spurs and penalties just don't go together, In the last 5 years I would only trust Berba and VDV with a spot kick. Maybe Modric as well.

Arnie

I'm glad you'd pay it personally because it'd be mindboggling if we bought him at all in the summer, let alone for that much.

You could buy a much better centre half from Europe for half that. It's not even a contest, Ashley Williams is terrible. I'd rather keep Carragher on for another year.

Ashley Williams, fucking hell. We've sunk low.
It's like you haven't watched football this season.

Swansea have been one of the sturdiest teams in the league for the past eight months and that's because of a significant contribution from Williams. To say he's 'terrible' is nonsense. I'd like to keep Carragher for another year, but the reality is he's retiring and we need a replacement. We need an experienced, commanding, physical centre back to come straight into the squad, and preferably one who's demonstrated he can perform consistently well in this league.

Ashley Williams. Let's get him before Arsenal do.
Carragher is obviously retiring, but what about Skrtel and Coates? I'd sell Skrtel, I think.
Coates isn't rated and is available for transfer, and Skrtel has fallen out of favour with Rodgers.

To be honest Skrtel just hasn't been good enough. He's shaky and prone to mistakes, and his positioning is suspect, too. When Carragher came back into the team we improved dramatically, and it's no coincidence.

Chelsea have to go to Old Trafford, Anfield, Craven Cottage, and play Spurs, Everton and Swansea at home. They are in the FA Cup and Europa semi finals.

They will drop points. We need to use this break well and recover mentally, too many goals given away recently, when players like Dembele are playing hospital balls and getting hooked after 55 minutes, something is not right.

True, and Chelsea will be fatigued as hell, but I just feel they'll find something and grind out low scoring wins.

Spurs are very lucky to have this break and be able to go away and regroup like that. However, I think the problems with Spurs would take AVB longer than a week to fix, I'm not convinced that he is a good manager in a crisis.

Ingeniero

Calm down man, calm down.
Have faith, we got this.

Also lol spurs haha I called it!

13 players gave it everything tonight in the Spurs shirt, Ade ...well Ade is Ade.

Why shouldn't I be proud of their effort? What good is it saying "meh we lost THEY'RE ALL SHIT". Some of us appreciate football and don't just look at results, if you can't admit there was a better team then you aren't really a football fan, you can't win every game.

I believed we would do it right up until Vertonghen sending off, we had the momentum, then it swung back to them. The penalties were always 50/50 but I have never witnessed us win a penalty shootout so had little hope, especially when Ade did what he did.

I don't disagree with most of what you said. How else would I have supported what was a mid-table club team for many years and a mediocre national team? We just disagree on our assessments of these two games against Basel, especially the one at White Hart Lane. Let's just leave it at that.

Wilbur

Banned
Do people actually watch golf? My word. I can't think of anything more boring.

Also why don't you ever see fat golfers? It hardly requires athleticism.

Top Bottom