• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT17| Jordan Henderson for Ballon d'Or

Feorax

Carragher is obviously retiring, but what about Skrtel and Coates? I'd sell Skrtel, I think.

I'd sell both if we got decent offers.

It looks like we're looking at getting an experienced first teamer to go alongside Agger (Williams), and a young CB to partner Kelly (De Vrij or Alderwerield). If we do that we can afford to let both go..

Scum

Dempsey at Norwich, Capital One Cup. He missed of course.

Spurs and penalties just don't go together, In the last 5 years I would only trust Berba and VDV with a spot kick. Maybe Modric as well.
We need a striker. #FuckAde

True, and Chelsea will be fatigued as hell, but I just feel they'll find something and grind out low scoring wins.

Spurs are very lucky to have this break and be able to go away and regroup like that. However, I think the problems with Spurs would take AVB longer than a week to fix, I'm not convinced that he is a good manager in a crisis.
I am. Just doesn't help when you have someone like Ade up front.

Calm down man, calm down.
Have faith, we got this.

Also lol spurs haha I called it!
:-|

L1NETT

Ashley Williams is a great player. Sadly, due to his nationality and prem status Liverpool might pay quite an inflated price for him.

Then, everyone will laugh. But they will get a dependable centre back, something they need. Good signing if you ask me

@wilbury. Jon Daly? Absolute tank. Agree though, golf is so tedious to watch. Good fun to play though, shame I suck.

So, CL "draw" tomorrow. I'm kinda sure we'll go out in the semi finals, not because our team is not good enough but because we lack the expierence. CL semi final is huuuuge for our players, for the other teams' players it's a regular thing. We weren't really at our best against Donezk and we were rather far from our best against Malaga, the lack of experience definately shows. So, please, don't give me Bayern, Wurst-Uli would not be able to shut the fuck up unless his Bayern got really fucked in the final.

Considering UEFA is fixing the draw anyway. It's either going to be Real-Barca/Bayern-BVB or Barca-BVB/Real-Bayern. I don't think UEFA wants a Bundesliga final or a Clasico semi-final, so after our group win against Real, Real-BVB doesn't look that likely to me. Barca-BVB/Bayern-Real sounds like the best choice for UEFA, Barca should be able to kick BVB out and Barca-Bayern/Madrid would both be good finals.

Arnie

Do people actually watch golf? My word. I can't think of anything more boring.

Also why don't you ever see fat golfers? It hardly requires athleticism.

We've had it on tonight because of my housemates being sporty as fuck, and it's so drab.

I will say, though, that once I've got a stable income and a car I'm well getting on the golf bandwagon. Will be fun as fuck to play and learn on weekends.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Spurs are very lucky to have this break and be able to go away and regroup like that. However, I think the problems with Spurs would take AVB longer than a week to fix, I'm not convinced that he is a good manager in a crisis.

We had one crisis already this season and recovered well to go 12 matches unbeaten. The problem to me is simple. Too many silly goals conceded, especially from corners. Did it against Swansea, Everton and both games against Basel. We've scored 2 goals in the each of those 4 games and we shouldn't be conceding the same amount.

Bale, Lennon and Defoe coming back will give us a lift, tonight players like Holtby, Carroll and Huddlestone worked their balls off and that gives me some hope that they can be of great use as well. Kaboul will also be back in the fray and he can give Vertonghen a rest.

SMD

It's like you haven't watched football this season.

Swansea have been one of the sturdiest teams in the league for the past eight months and that's because of a significant contribution from Williams. To say he's 'terrible' is nonsense. I'd like to keep Carragher for another year, but the reality is he's retiring and we need a replacement. We need an experienced, commanding, physical centre back to come straight into the squad, and preferably one who's demonstrated he can perform consistently well in this league.

Ashley Williams. Let's get him before Arsenal do.

Coates isn't rated and is available for transfer, and Skrtel has fallen out of favour with Rodgers.

To be honest Skrtel just hasn't been good enough. He's shaky and prone to mistakes, and his positioning is suspect, too. When Carragher came back into the team we improved dramatically, and it's no coincidence.

Yeah except Swansea don't have teams set up against them the way they do against us. And Arsenal are welcome to him, he'd be terrible in their set up too. We need someone who is either a right sided version of Agger or an athletic organiser with experience in Europe. We should be looking to raid Germany, Italy, Spain, Holland and Belgium with the new TV deal money, why bother going back to Swansea and getting bent over a barrel again?

Move Kelly in field and buy a right back, because a full back is easier to get than a good centre back.

Dempsey at Norwich, Capital One Cup. He missed of course.

Spurs and penalties just don't go together, In the last 5 years I would only trust Berba and VDV with a spot kick. Maybe Modric as well.

Berbatov for £5m.

Fuck me I hate football sometimes, what a difference he would've made this season. Would've probably got 3 points against Fulham at home for a start >_>

I want to see Tom Carroll in every game now, time for one of Dembele or Parker to be dropped or Dempsey and play a 4-3-3 when Bale and Lennon come back, even then I'd prefer Gylfi in the team somewhere as well.

Fintan

Coates isn't rated and is available for transfer, and Skrtel has fallen out of favour with Rodgers.

To be honest Skrtel just hasn't been good enough. He's shaky and prone to mistakes, and his positioning is suspect, too. When Carragher came back into the team we improved dramatically, and it's no coincidence.

dc89

Such insight by Ian Ladyman of Daily Mail.

Three players City need to sign to bridge the gap.

Striker: Cavani
Winger: Bale
Midfielder: Busquets

I could do his job.

Wilbur

Banned
Fuck you, cunt.

:lol. Don't mind playing it, its relaxing. But watching it? jesus fucking christ I'd rather have my anus torn to shreds by a bear coached in the art of fucking a hole by bud esq.

@wilbury. Jon Daly? Absolute tank. Agree though, golf is so tedious to watch. Good fun to play though, shame I suck.

No idea who that is :lol. I suppose I don't know many golfers. Tiger, Rory, Bubba, Phil. That's it.

We've had it on tonight because of my housemates being sporty as fuck, and it's so drab.

I will say, though, that once I've got a stable income and a car I'm well getting on the golf bandwagon. Will be fun as fuck to play and learn on weekends.

Yeah its a good laugh pottering around a driving range. I'm shite, but oh well. Just can't imagine sitting there watching.

I could do his job.

So City need to go spend another £150m+ in order to bridge a gap?

Fuck me. These journos talk out their arse.

L1NETT

SMD, it is very hard to find a good value centre back in Europe. Apart from Vidic, I can't think a modern day CB who has come in and really done exceptionally well. The Belgian V's are ok, but far too inconsistent and always make silly little errors.

What is vital for a defender is premier league experience. Something Williams has. He also supports Liverpool and knows Brendan Rodgers. Perfect fit if you ask me.

---

Also, I can't stop watching this. Think i'm in a trance. (Daft Punk btw)

tumblr_ml3zba1ZOg1rnyr6io1_500.gif

SMD

I could do his job.

The Daily Mail is shit on all fronts, why does anyone read it?

WJD

Me and my brother played it loads when we were kids but I gave up because 18 holes bored me to tears and he carried on and is now a County captain playing off +2.

Fun game when it's going well but infuriating when it's not.

Scum

So, CL "draw" tomorrow. I'm kinda sure we'll go out in the semi finals, not because our team is not good enough but because we lack the expierence. CL semi final is huuuuge for our players, for the other teams' players it's a regular thing. We weren't really at our best against Donezk and we were rather far from our best against Malaga, the lack of experience definately shows. So, please, don't give me Bayern, Wurst-Uli would not be able to shut the fuck up unless his Bayern got really fucked in the final.

Considering UEFA is fixing the draw anyway. It's either going to be Real-Barca/Bayern-BVB or Barca-BVB/Real-Bayern. I don't think UEFA wants a Bundesliga final or a Clasico semi-final, so after our group win against Real, Real-BVB doesn't look that likely to me. Barca-BVB/Bayern-Real sounds like the best choice for UEFA, Barca should be able to kick BVB out and Barca-Bayern/Madrid would both be good finals.
The Eng FA needs money to cover the costs at Wembley. Messi v Ronaldo will bring that money in. So,

Bayern v Barca
R. Madrid v BVB
R. Madrid v Bayern Final

The Eng FA needs money to cover the costs at Wembley. Messi v Ronaldo will bring that money in. So,

Bayern v Barca
R. Madrid v BVB

That would be risky as hell, though. Bayern can beat Barca and the group stages showed we can beat Real, too. Could go horribly wrong for UEFA/FA.

SMD

SMD, it is very hard to find a good value centre back in Europe. Apart from Vidic, I can't think a modern day CB who has come in and really done exceptionally well. The Belgian V's are ok, but far too inconsistent and always make silly little errors.

What is vital for a defender is premier league experience. Something Williams has. He also supports Liverpool and knows Brendan Rodgers. Perfect fit if you ask me.

Nope, completely disagree. A good player is a good player regardless, the pressure of playing at Liverpool is ridiculous. We have completely unreasonable expectations, we're punching roughly at the weight we are at yet people expect us to get top 4. We're not going to compete with City, Chelsea or United on fees, not a chance. Arsenal I'm not sure what they're doing but they've got a settled backroom and a new ground, two things we don't, and Spurs keep incrementally improving while we spend summers shooting ourselves in the foot.
Everton have the benefit of stability as much as we take the piss out of them so that's roundabout where we're competing.

Premier League experience is terribly overrated. Henderson's taken this long to settle in and Allen stuttered while not fully fit before eventually needing an operation. We need players comfortable on the ball, either pacy or great anticipation and with nerves of steel. Challenging for titles on the continent or playing in the latter stages of European competition makes such a bigger difference.

Just don't pay the English tax, it's not worth it and we're just limiting ourselves for no good reason.

Arnie

Yeah except Swansea don't have teams set up against them the way they do against us. And Arsenal are welcome to him, he'd be terrible in their set up too. We need someone who is either a right sided version of Agger or an athletic organiser with experience in Europe. We should be looking to raid Germany, Italy, Spain, Holland and Belgium with the new TV deal money, why bother going back to Swansea and getting bent over a barrel again?

Move Kelly in field and buy a right back, because a full back is easier to get than a good centre back.
The differences between how Liverpool are set out, and how Swansea are aren't as pronounced as you think, despite us probably having much more of the ball. He needs to do what Carragher does in organising the defence and keeping everyone switched on and in position. He needs to lead, essentially. I think he's more than capable, and certainly a far cry from 'terrible', as you seem to believe.

Secondly the best centre back pairings aren't carbon copies of each other with a proclivity to kick with different feet. They're players who balance against each other, and offer different traits. Buying a right sided Agger would leave our defence too lightweight, without much aerial prowess.

And Kelly can't be relied on to stay fit, I'm afraid. He's a great talent, I hope he becomes a great player, but it' be foolish to rely on him.
So say Coates and Skrtel leave, along with Carragher, would you be looking for another, sort of understudy, centre back to go along with Williams, Agger, and Kelly(?)? Am I forgetting anyone?
Williams, Agger, Kelly, Wisdom

I imagine we'll look to buy another centre back, too. That Toby Alderwieled (?) from Ajax is rumoured, but that might just be because he said he'd like to play for Liverpool earlier in the week.
Me and my brother played it loads when we were kids but I gave up because 18 holes bored me to tears and he carried on and is now a County captain playing off +2.

Fun game when it's going well but infuriating when it's not.
Can imagine it sending me round the twist.

Wilbur

Banned
If Real win the CL this season everyone will say Ronaldo is the best in the world. It's going to be painful.

:lol

Well if he wins the CL this year I think he deserves the Ballon d'Or up until May. Up until now I reckon he's been toe to toe with Messi this season (obviously people disagree, as they said earlier).

SMD

The differences between how Liverpool are set out, and how Swansea are aren't as pronounced as you think, despite us probably having much more of the ball. He needs to do what Carragher does in organising the defence and keeping everyone switched on and in position. He needs to lead, essentially. I think he's more than capable, and certainly a far cry from 'terrible', as you seem to believe.

Secondly the best centre back pairings aren't carbon copies of each other with a proclivity to kick with different feet. They're players who balance against each other, and offer different traits. Buying a right sided Agger would leave our defence too lightweight, without much aerial prowess.

And Kelly can't be relied on to stay fit, I'm afraid. He's a great talent, I hope he becomes a great player, but it' be foolish to rely on him.

You misread me, I said that teams set up differently against us than against Swansea. And I don't know why you think Agger is lightweight, we did this in 2007 when Drogba schooled him at Stamford Bridge in the CL and then he marked him out of the game two weeks later :p

We need a striker. #FuckAde

I am. Just doesn't help when you have someone like Ade up front.

:-|

He couldn't manage it at Chelsea, and I don't think he's been in an equivalent position over the course of his career either. But yeah, Ade doesn't help either.

Wilbur

Banned
Francisco Roca, the chief executive of La Liga, believes Spanish clubs will agree to sell their television rights collectively within the next three years as they attempt to close the financial gap on the Premier League.

At present, only Spanish and Portuguese clubs sell their rights on an individual basis, creating the disparity that last season made Real Madrid over €140m (£119m) from television income and Granada around €12m. In England, the champions Manchester City earned £60m through TV, while relegated Blackburn Rovers and Wolverhampton Wanderers made £40m.

Deportivo La Coruña are the latest Spanish name in financial turmoil, but Roca insists the will exists in Spain to redress the current imbalance.

Speaking at the Soccerex European Forum in Manchester on Thursday, he said: "We need to get much better with the control of team's finances. We need to conquer the issue of individual television rights. It is not advantageous for the Spanish league to sell its rights individually and something we aim to solve over the next two or three years is to sell them collectively.

"We have two 'Super-Liga' teams dominating and with them making over 50% of the revenue we have a big problem to solve. We started to work on that three or four years ago. We have to solve the distribution system; 35 teams have signed a contract to redistribute the money. Barcelona and Real Madrid have agreed to lower their take to 34% from 42%. It is a step in the right direction. Once we get an overall agreement the rest will be easy. We will get the rights in-house within three years maximum."

Roca was speaking at a seminar with the former Arsenal and FA vice-chairman David Dein, who claimed the Premier League remains stronger than La Liga despite its poor showing in the Champions League this season. "There have been seven Premier League teams in the last eight Champions League finals and three different winners," said Dein. "It is three in eight from Spain with one winner, Barcelona.

"Real Madrid and Barcelona are running away with all the television money in Spain and that is not healthy. The bottom clubs have no chance in Spain and I think Spain has to address how it divides its television money."

Dein's argument on the relative health of the Premier League was based purely on economic indicators – with its annual revenue double that of La Liga at €2.5bn, attendances averaging 92.5% capacity compared to 80% in Spain, and the fairer distribution of television rights.

But Roca countered: "The Premier League is incredible in several senses: its economic impact all around the world – everybody else is looking on enviously and playing catch-up – and its international reach. It is double our reach at the moment but we have, in the last 15 to 20 years, created a lot of football talent.

"We have invested in creating training grounds throughout the divisions, we have the best coaches in the world, especially at youth level, and as a result we have been able to create an amazing pool of talent. That is why our national team has won two European Championships and the World Championship and our teams are doing so well. We have invested and are seeing the results."

La Liga's chief executive also insisted television revenue is not the major reason for financial crises in Spanish football. "We have a problem helping teams who are relegated," he explained. "We don't have parachute payments like you do in the Premier League. If you get relegated in England, it is difficult. In Spain, it is catastrophic. You don't even get 10% of the revenue you used to have. We have doubled that amount, but we have to do more. Relegation is the main problem in terms of instability in Spanish football."

Now obviously, there's ludicrous money in the PL anyway, and Wolves getting 40m is still nuts. But yeah, agree for the most part.

Wilbur

Banned
I love watching golf. With a proper naughty hd television it is the most relaxing thing I could do.

Proper naughty :lol, you cray americans

I wanna see the receipts.

48 goals in 47 games is second only behind Messi, in a poorer team this year with all the turmoil that Madrid brings. 11 goals in the Champions League and none of them penalties, including against Man Utd, Man City, Dortmund, three against Galatasaray. Four goals against Barcelona alone this season including two in the draw at the Nou Camp and two in the Copa Del Rey win.

It's close, and I wouldn't really argue if someone's said Messi's been unquestionably better, but I think they're as good as each other this season.

He couldn't manage it at Chelsea, and I don't think he's been in an equivalent position over the course of his career either. But yeah, Ade doesn't help either.

Obviously he hasn't the experience yet to really manage turmoil, but up until now:

1) absolutely resounding success with Porto. Easy to say its a two club league, but to win it unbeaten, AND the cup, AND the Europa (which of course is a far better competition than it gets credit for) is brilliant.

2) Wasn't doing too poorly with Chelsea in retrospect. Fourth, fifth when sacked with a game in hand? It's not perfect but then again look what's happened to RDM and Benitez, its just a fucking odd club from the fan base to the board to the players. Cocked up against Napoli I suppose, but that was a fucking good Napoli side on the day.

3) Has shown a want to change his tactics, his methods and his players when the situation needs it. His attitude towards Dawson has been fantastic, the players seem to love him, he's gone from 4-3-3 to 4-4-2 to 4-2-3-1 when things aren't working and is currently managing a bit of an injury crisis with less money than Chelsea and less attraction than Arsenal (and up against a far better manager in Wenger).

He's doing a fine job if you ask me. I don't think anyone expected better of Spurs this year, and the media were chomping at the bit to write him off at the start of the season.

Wilbur

Banned
Please let it be Dortmund vs Bayern, and Madrid Barca. It doesn't get better than this, the german classic and the clasico.

Ehhh its the European Cup. In an ideal world we'd see different countries battling it out, so in order of preference I want:

1. Dortmund vs Madrid final
2. Bayern vs Madrid final
3. Bayern vs Barcelona final
4. Dortmund vs Bayern final
5. Dortmund vs Barca final
6. Bayern vs Madrid final

bud

if we merely look at statistics, then messi's having a great season, but he's had so many games this season where he did fuck all other than scoring one or two goals. i don't think he's been all that this season.

Wilbur

Banned
if we merely look at statistics, then messi's having a great season, but he's had so many games this season where he did fuck all other than scoring one or two goals. i don't think he's been all that this season.

Yeah, this a little as well. I think his sheer presence alone pulls Barca through matches sometimes, and he has moments where he'll do nothing and then turn it on and he'll score two in five minutes and that's fucking great. But he's played better for the last two seasons or so, whereas Ronaldo's improved on last year in terms of influence, importance to the team, professionalism and all round play. Really become their key man on and off the pitch this year I think considering all the team turmoil.

Obviously he hasn't the experience yet to really manage turmoil, but up until now:

1) absolutely resounding success with Porto. Easy to say its a two club league, but to win it unbeaten, AND the cup, AND the Europa (which of course is a far better competition than it gets credit for) is brilliant.

2) Wasn't doing too poorly with Chelsea in retrospect. Fourth, fifth when sacked with a game in hand? It's not perfect but then again look what's happened to RDM and Benitez, its just a fucking odd club from the fan base to the board to the players. Cocked up against Napoli I suppose, but that was a fucking good Napoli side on the day.

3) Has shown a want to change his tactics, his methods and his players when the situation needs it. His attitude towards Dawson has been fantastic, the players seem to love him, he's gone from 4-3-3 to 4-4-2 to 4-2-3-1 when things aren't working and is currently managing a bit of an injury crisis with less money than Chelsea and less attraction than Arsenal (and up against a far better manager in Wenger).

He's doing a fine job if you ask me. I don't think anyone expected better of Spurs this year, and the media were chomping at the bit to write him off at the start of the season.

A good manager shows his strength when times are tough, not when they're good, which is why I discounted his achievements at Porto, despite how exceptional they were. Looking at his time at Chelsea, it is far that he did not get to have a fair go at changing Chelsea's system; I think he had a longer term vision that RA was not willing to entertain, and player power at the club is far too significant.

As for this season, it is true that expectations were low after Redknapp's sacking, and while he does show his capability to be malleable and willing to compromise to circumstances, I feel that his decision making under pressure is not quite under scratch. Tonight for example, after the red card, tactically Spurs were poor (although that partly lies with Adebayor also), and simply let Basel lay siege on their goal.

feel

If Real win the CL this season everyone will say Ronaldo is the best in the world. It's going to be painful.
He needs to win both the club treble and the national teams world cup in the same year, scoring a hat-trick in both finals, for people to even start considering him as someone who has a shot at a ballon d'or.

If only he had gone the faux-humbleness route.

Kyoufu

He needs to win both the club treble and the national teams world cup in the same year, scoring a hat-trick in both finals, for people to even start considering him as someone who has a shot at a ballon d'or.

No that's what Pirlo has to do to be considered for the Team of the Year.

Top Bottom