• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT17| Jordan Henderson for Ballon d'Or

SMD

*sigh*

I can't abide by not qualifying for Europe and seeing it as a good thing. The Europa League is just as important for teams with aspirations as the Champions League.

There are eight teams left with a chance of winning one of only two European trophies. I doubt Fulham fans are as happy about their midtable finishes as they were reaching Hamburg 3 years ago.

Part of me wanted us to lose today and finish 5th. If we do qualify for the CL, it'll be as you were this summer; the club needs major changes and maybe only a disaster will trigger it

Lightning

Banned
Part of me wanted us to lose today and finish 5th. If we do qualify for the CL, it'll be as you were this summer; the club needs major changes and maybe only a disaster will trigger it
Us losing everything wont all of a sudden make Wenger think "Let's spend 100 million" nor will it make our targets who can help us think "Arsenal are the place to be, they're on the rise".

It will only make Arsene more stingy with his bargin buys, nothing more.

That's exacty what happened. You think that sounds bitter because you don't agree, but it's true.
But there was clear tugging on our player for the pen and not for the first time in the match. That is a pen. However soft you want to call it its still a pen.

Your fate is in your hands anyway. You'll be fine.

Timurid

What a lackluster win for PSG today. Sirigu and Matuidi were lively in this game though. Troyes were very good today aswell.

It looked like the Barca lost really took the spirits out of the team, but we did enough to get the 3 points.

Now we hope that Lille wins their game against OM then we will only have to win two more games to win the league. :D

Slizz

Only really saw the penalty (opened stream when GAF was yelling) and it was a clear penalty, dude was pulling him quite a lot.

Re-watch it bruh, no penalty 50/50

EDIT: I just re-watched. It truly is weird how the main official was right on top of it... stared at it.... didn't make a peep then looked to the sideline judge.

Only really saw the penalty (opened stream when GAF was yelling) and it was a clear penalty, dude was pulling him quite a lot.

you talking about the giroud incident? i thought it was a clear penalty on the initial replays, but other replays showed the giroud was also shirt-pulling the defender. almost impossible to see though, so i understand why the pen was given.

Plasma

Banned

If anything we'd do even less business because we'd keep a chunk of the money aside for failing to get the CL qualification money.

I think we'll go out this summer and buy two quality players.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
you talking about the giroud incident? i thought it was a clear penalty on the initial replays, but other replays showed the giroud was also shirt-pulling the defender. almost impossible to see though, so i understand why the pen was given.

Given by the linesman? Ref's looking at it and gives nothing, I don't know what the rules are but I never understand when the ref doesn't blow when looking straight at an incident but then defers to his linesman 40 yards away for a decision.

Anyway, soft or not, Norwich collapsed at the end, it was pathetic and inevitable. I'm sure Everton will be a much tougher test.

Messi

tS3Hq.jpg

I am sitting in the office here dying from laughter. Thanks Bla.

Lightning

Banned
Given by the linesman? Ref's looking at it and gives nothing, I don't know what the rules are but I never understand when the ref doesn't blow when looking straight at an incident but then defers to his linesman 40 yards away for a decision.

Anyway, soft or not, Norwich collapsed at the end, it was pathetic and inevitable. I'm sure Everton will be a much tougher test.
A draw will be a decent result against Everton although they won't be so defensive because they need to win as well so we may be able to punish then due to that. They'll definitely be more threat going forward than Norwich but I felt we deserved to win today. A bit lucky bit you need that sometimes.

great comeback by pescara.

there is no rule on this. referee has complete discretion, he can choose to rely on his linesmen whenever he likes, or he can choose not to. he obviously thought the linesmen had a better angle, which is perfectly fine. the rules do not say anything about this, other than that the linesmen can help the center by indicating a foul is called.

the referee is completely free to ignore the linesmen if he thinks he had a better view of it. the degree to which a ref is dependent on the linesmen is completely up to his discretion.

the commentators being up in arms about the distance of the linesman was ridiculous.

Biggzy

Of course, having now had 2 consecutive 0-0 draws against crap sides, Liverpool will easily beat Chelsea and Everton in upcoming fixtures and all of a sudden Sturridge will be once again an amazing signing, Johnson will be the best rb in the league again and Rodgers will be a genius. Then Liverpool lose to Newcastle and everyone is shit again.

The cycle must continue.

Suen

That's exacty what happened. You think that sounds bitter because you don't agree, but it's true.
He was pulling on him no matter how you slice it. It was a hard decision but not as bad as some make it out to be, the pulling was there, besides we got denied several times throughout the course of the match.

Were we lucky? Yes but to say that the ref was the biggest factor is an exaggeration. He was shit on both sides.

Well clearly betting on levante was a bad idea.
Are they playing with their reserve team or something? They are doing really bad lol.

arkon

Dearie me, Liverpool. Looking at stats they had 28 shots in total? Was it a case of more wasteful finishing?

Good result for Arsenal. Also damn it, Villa!

arkon

Just catching up with the Championship results. Fuck yeah! Vital win against Wolves. Could have done with a draw in the Leeds vs Wednesday game. Also fuck Watford!

dc89

Wembley announce the official attendance of 62,000 for Millwall v Wigan. Man United representatives have rounded it up to about 86,000.

TokiDoki

I didn't see the third goal but apparently Walcott was offside. So a penalty that shouldn't have been given from a corner that shouldn't have been given, an own goal which donkey Giroud celebrates with a knee slide, and a goal with an offside in the build up. That spirit and belief.

United had these all the time , just saying .

Lightning

Banned
We've certainly got the rub of the green this season from the referees

QPR - Arteta offside goal gives us 3 points
West Brom - 2 Arteta pen decisions that were wrong
Wigan - Arteta pen from Walcott milking it
Norwich - Arteta pen sets us up for victory.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
We've certainly got the rub of the green this season from the referees

QPR - Arteta offside goal gives us 3 points
West Brom - 2 Arteta pen decisions that were wrong
Wigan - Arteta pen from Walcott milking it
Norwich - Arteta pen sets us up for victory.

scarface39k9b_zps3a7ac869.gif

We haven't had a single league penalty this season.

Top Bottom