• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT17| Jordan Henderson for Ballon d'Or

Dortmund were a historically good club (third most successful in German history) AND they received outside investment to prevent from going bankrupt quite recently. BZZZZTTT, try again.

There's a difference between investment to save a club, and investment to turn a bunch of no-marks into Premier League champions. I never said clubs should not be allowed outside investment.

And their past success helped obviously, but not much I shouldn't think. Doubt players were clamouring to join them because they won the league 9 years ago

Meier

Can't believe that Monreal is on the bench again. :\ What an utterly shit week of fantasy for me.. Fellaini and Cazorla need to both get me some damn points today.

Meier

There's a difference between investment to save a club, and investment to turn a bunch of no-marks into Premier League champions. I never said clubs should not be allowed outside investment.

And their past success helped obviously, but not much I shouldn't think. Doubt players were clamouring to join them because they won the league 9 years ago

Their past success is what allowed for an 80,000+ seat stadium that allows for significant revenues. No team with 8 domestic championships in the past 50 years should ever be called an upstart.

Nyx

Dortmund were a historically good club (third most successful in German history) AND they received outside investment to prevent from going bankrupt quite recently. BZZZZTTT, try again.

Your view is interesting, do you think there is a way to even out the playing field?

Next to some kind of FFP, there definitely should be something done about <18 players moving internationally imo. Maybe even implement some kind of maximum foreigners rule, though iirc that isn't legally possible.

Their past success is what allowed for an 80,000+ seat stadium that allows for significant revenues. No team with 8 domestic championships in the past 50 years should ever be called an upstart.

With a net spend of zero, their stadium is more of a security blanket than anything driving their present success

And while it helped, I doubt many of their players/Klopp moved there because they won the league 9 years previously to 2010

Gaf's servers are shite.

kAUn2R2.jpg

Papa John's is gud

Meier

Your view is interesting, do you think there is a way to even out the playing field?

Next to some kind of FFP, there definitely should be something done about <18 players moving internationally imo. Maybe even implement some kind of maximum foreigners rule, though iirc that isn't legally possible.

Sheesh, GAF has been struggling the past few days.

I don't think there's a fair way to bring competitive balance to any sport really. It's a problem across every league and always will be. What I do know though is that the top teams wanting to prevent outside investment is done solely with their best interest in mind.

Once you have the infrastructure in place to earn money, it's self-perpetuating. It would be like Google or Microsoft trying to prevent VCs from putting money into start-ups and instead making them rely on "earned money" to grow their business which is obviously something they would never be able to do.

Novid

Banned
this sounds too good to be true. NBC is in 4th place and going broke, how can they afford this?

their HD is the best among ABC, CBS and that joke called fox so hope it works out for them

That Comcast money. They already set up the TV everywhere stream for NBC Sports Net so on the cable side there good to go. Do expect that there will be one or two EPL prime time games around this time next year.

Meier

That Comcast money. They already set up the TV everywhere stream for NBC Sports Net so on the cable side there good to go. Do expect that there will be one or two EPL prime time games around this time next year.

I know the US has had a few league games in London in recent years (NFL and NBA). I wonder if we might see an official league game or two here in the States at some point. If the game at Yankee Stadium goes well, I wouldn't be shocked to see a game kick-off there during the season at some point. Maybe after an international break or something.

Was it NBC with the embarassing Olympics coverage?

Yeah, but fortunately they've already announced they won't be fucking with things and adding commercials or doing tape-delayed crap. I'm sure that was a requirement.

Top Bottom