• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT17| Jordan Henderson for Ballon d'Or

Audi own a stake in Bayern while "AUDI AG has been a majority owned (99.55%) subsidiary of Volkswagen Group since 1966". They play Wolfsburg today, a club that "grew out of a multi-sports club for Volkswagen workers in the city of Wolfsburg and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Volkswagen Group".

Behold, the Volkswagen Games..

spidye

The point he's making is that shareholders are investing into the club via sponsorship contracts, therefore there is third party investment.

In principle, you can question how "fair" that is.

It's a fairly moot point IMO since the sponsorship deals are not particularly inflated.

The point about the state aid in building the Allianz is however an interesting one. Bayern have benefited quite significantly there and that is a, one could say, "unfair" advantage they have had over other clubs.

Of course there is a wonderful irony here that Man City are guilty of both the above also.

#basedglazers

the state didn't help to finance the stadium. they invested in infrastructure improvements and area development for the world cup

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allianz_Arena

3Sixty

ef597a67dd8f593cb9dc9d201d97f8b0.png

All for last season so Championship stats for Saints/Reading/West Ham.

(Our Wage % is now 60)

Dat United debt.

Confirmed Arsenal XI v Everton: Szczesny; Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs; Arteta, Wilshere; Walcott, Ramsey, Cazorla; Giroud

Arsenal subs: Mannone, Vermaelen, Monreal, Rosicky, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gervinho, Podolski

Confirmed Everton XI v Arsenal: Howard; Coleman, Jagielka, Distin, Baines; Fellaini, Gibson; Barkley, Pienaar, Mirallas; Anichebe

arkon

Confirmed Arsenal XI v Everton: Szczesny; Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs; Arteta, Wilshere; Walcott, Ramsey, Cazorla; Giroud

Arsenal subs: Mannone, Vermaelen, Monreal, Rosicky, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gervinho, Podolski

Confirmed Everton XI v Arsenal: Howard; Coleman, Jagielka, Distin, Baines; Fellaini, Gibson; Barkley, Pienaar, Mirallas; Anichebe

Oooh. Nice lineups. Looking forward to this game.

3Sixty

DAT City and Chelsea debt

Dat Saints Debt.

Cagliari midfielder and Belgium international Radja Nainggolan may soon make a move to English Premier League side Southampton, according to Italian daily Corriere dello Sport.

The Antwerp-born Cagliari starlet has done well to gain the trust of manager Ivo Pulga, with the 24-year-old making 28 appearances for the club this season, missing only three matches due to yellow card suspensions.

This level of skill, work rate and discipline has attracted a number of clubs, among them AC Milan, who are looking for a replacement to their holding midfielder Nigel de Jong. Fellow Italian side Napoli, along with Russian club Zenit St. Petersburg, are also keen.

Dem Belgians

Dat Naked Jason Puncheon

Meier

we always stayed within the budget. and it's real earned money.

This whole concept of "earned" versus "unearned" money is so silly. All it does is keep historically good teams at the top. Wow, the team that has been by far the most successful Bundesliga team, primarily run German football for a very long time, has a massive stadium, is closely affiliated with the German national team and has a huge fanbase makes a lot of money.. SHOCKING!

It just reeks of fans of perennially top tier teams being worried about the boys club getting interfered with.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
We're in for Mario Gomez..

“There have been proposals from Inter and Juventus,” revealed the agent of Bayern Munich striker Mario Gomez. “He wants to leave.”

The forward has been increasingly irritated with the lack of playing time at the Allianz Arena and is setting the scene for an exit this summer.

“Mario wanted to remain at Bayern, but seeing as he did not find much space to show what he can do, Mario is no longer happy and cannot continue like this,” agent Uli Ferber told Bild.

Gomez has been linked with interest from Premier League clubs Chelsea and Manchester City, but is also wanted in Serie A.

“We have received proposals from Inter and Juventus. The buy-out clause could be reduced to zero, seeing as Bayern know Mario wants to leave.”

If it's us or Inter, he's definitely going to pick us. CL baby!
On my birthday!

You were meant to be a Juve fan.

Arnie

Seen a few sources (some more reputable than others) reporting Eriksen to LFC is practically a done deal, for in the region of €15 million.

I know he has doubters, but I still think he would be a great signing if true.

Can you give me a rundown of these sources?

I want to go full RUMBO but I'm holding out. Would love us to sign Eriksen, even if it puts yet another dent in Hendo's quest for world domination.

This whole concept of "earned" versus "unearned" money is so silly. All it does is keep historically good teams at the top. Wow, the team that has been by far the most successful Bundesliga team, primarily run German football for a very long time, has a massive stadium, is closely affiliated with the German national team and has a huge fanbase makes a lot of money.. SHOCKING!

It just reeks of fans of perennially top tier teams being worried about the boys club getting interfered with.

There's a middle ground. Teams can be kickstarted with investment, and then rise to the top via smart spending and long-term running. The way you guys and PSG have basically won a tombola to be given a basically free ride to titles is disconcerting. Chelsea as well, although they went from 5th best team in the country to best.

Meier

There's a middle ground. Teams can be kickstarted with investment, and then rise to the top via smart spending and long-term running. The way you guys and PSG have basically won a tombola to be given a basically free ride to titles is disconcerting. Chelsea as well, although they went from 5th best team in the country to best.

There won't be a middle ground soon if the whole concept of "outside investment" is abolished like these cronies want to happen. It's meant to keep the lower teams down while those who already have remain. It's the equivalent of the 1% not wanting to pay more taxes here in the States.

Fortunately for City, the money has been spent already and the commercial revenues are soaring due to the team's success and they will continue to do so. Every little goofy official energy drink of Indonesia is a good thing. I fully respect Man U and their approach to get as many sponsors as possible. It's just being smart.

I only found out this weekend when looking at their wiki that PSV were owned by Philips and that Philips was a Dutch company (obviously from Eindhoven). I also just figured Philips was American.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I hope then you don't lay a finger on Müller. Gomez to Juve with Llorente as well is a bit overkill though.

Lol, why would he leave Bayern?
Dem Torino chicks?

Yes, it's overkill. I..don't...think..we..need..him.

There won't be a middle ground soon if the whole concept of "outside investment" is abolished like these cronies want to happen. It's meant to keep the lower teams down while those who already have remain. It's the equivalent of the 1% not wanting to pay more taxes here in the States.

Fortunately for City, the money has been spent already and the commercial revenues are soaring due to the team's success and they will continue to do so. Every little goofy official energy drink of Indonesia is a good thing. I fully respect Man U and their approach to get as many sponsors as possible. It's just being smart.

Everton, Arsenal and Spurs are all the proof anyone needs to show that you don't need a sugar-daddy to become competitive. Even if that means selling your stars to improve the team and work your way up the table, as I predict Spurs will be doing this summer. Obviously none of those teams are competing for the title, but with the right manager and transfer policy, they could (aside from Everton, who don't quite have the financial stability to challenge.)

If I was an Everton fan, I'd be livid about Man City's situation.

Meier

Everton, Arsenal and Spurs are all the proof anyone needs to show that you don't need a sugar-daddy to become competitive. Even if that means selling your stars to improve the team and work your way up the table, as I predict Spurs will be doing this summer. Obviously none of those teams are competing for the title, but with the right manager and transfer policy, they could (aside from Everton, who don't quite have the financial stability to challenge.)

If I was an Everton fan, I'd be livid about Man City's situation.

The reality is that they aren't competing for the title and they won't going forward. They won't compete for the UCL either. You're never going to see an upstart win it (the UCL) because the top teams across Europe are too star-studded and have too much money and clout.

None of those teams would have ever beat United on a consistent basis (nor would Chelsea have) because United are too far ahead in terms of revenue and existing talent. The difference will simply become more pronounced in time.

The reality is that they aren't competing for the title and they won't going forward. They won't compete for the UCL either. You're never going to see an upstart win it (the UCL) because the top teams across Europe are too star-studded and have too much money and clout.

None of those teams would have ever beat United on a consistent basis (nor would Chelsea have) because United are too far ahead in terms of revenue and existing talent. The difference will simply become more pronounced in time.

Look at Dortmund. It can be done, it has been done, its being done, and it will be done in the future. Sugar-daddies are not the only way, merely the easiest.

Lightning

Banned

Do you know the story of Dortmund?

I think you'll find FFP brings City and Chelsea closer to the pack. They have talented squads but nothing that isn't catchable with intelligent spending especially if Chelsea drop from the CL this season.

Anichebe was so concerned with trying to impose himself on Mertesacker, he didn't realise the ball was rolling straight towards him until it had been cut out.

Meier

Look at Dortmund. It can be done, it has been done, its being done, and it will be done in the future. Sugar-daddies are not the only way, merely the easiest.

Dortmund were a historically good club (third most successful in German history) AND they received outside investment to prevent from going bankrupt quite recently. BZZZZTTT, try again.

Top Bottom