• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT20| What's that smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flake

Good to see Lampard get a contract extension. He has proved a lot of people wrong, including myself, about what he has to offer.

qindarka

Banned
Chelsea always get him for like 9m on my saves and I always say "I'll get him next time" and then forget :/

There really isn't enough variation in these signings. Subotic has signed for Chelsea in all my games. Fellaini too either joins Chelsea or Man City in the first transfer window.

DBT85

My first try in FM 13 on Classic isn't going as well as I'd like.

As United, got a nice 4-4-2 control tactic that has been working great for most games, then lose 0-2 to bloody West Brom.

Currently 4th in the league, 8 games, 4 wins, 3 draws.

Wilbur

Banned
Hopefully Lampard's signed the deal realising he'll not be an automatic starter. Offers nothing apart from goals, which is an odd criticism but the rest of his game isn't that effective anymore beside some good passing. Chelsea still need one or two central midfielders.

Wilbur

Banned
My first try in FM 13 on Classic isn't going as well as I'd like.

As United, got a nice 4-4-2 control tactic that has been working great for most games, then lose 0-2 to bloody West Brom.

Currently 4th in the league, 8 games, 4 wins, 3 draws.

I'm not a fan of classic; never played the old ones so going back to a time without marathon seasons and team talks was odd to me :lol

DBT85

I'm not a fan of classic; never played the old ones so going back to a time without marathon seasons and team talks was odd to me :lol

I played 80% of my FM on the old ones so the new ones just piss me off :p

Classic could do with being a little customizable as to what you do or don't want.

Old CM/FM had plenty of marathon sessions, just a little less fucking about.

My favourite Lampard goal is that penalty he scored against Liverpool in the CL semi after his mum passed away.

Really got caught up in the emotion of that moment.

Wilbur

Banned
I remember him scoring a really nice chip a few years ago as well, might have been against Wigan or Hull or someone like that. Around Hiddink/Scolari time

Wilbur

Banned
Looooooool

Paolo Di Canio has warned his Sunderland players that their summer breaks could be curtailed if they do not perform well at Tottenham Hotspur in their final match of the season on Sunday.

It is a gesture that is bound to delight Arsène Wenger, the Arsenal manager, whose side are competing with Spurs for the final Champions League place. "I told them we can win, draw or lose with dignity, respecting the club's name and the fans who follow them. But if not, I will reduce their holiday," said Di Canio, whose team are now safe from relegation.

"I will give them the minimum I can give to them, which is four weeks – 28 days instead of probably 38, 40 or 41. I am sure that four or five individuals don't need this kind of situation, but many others have to realise we need to change mentality or we have to use punishments in some way. Until the day I am sure that my players can go on the field, and in some ways I can remain at home, I have to use anything I can to help change their mentality."

Sunderland's manager has aimed to accelerate this retuning process by introducing fines for rule transgressions including failing to attend weekly shirt-signing sessions.

"It's not because they are bad guys, but in the last five days, I have given into my players' hands individually seven fines for silly things – seven," he revealed. "Every Friday morning, there's a signing session upstairs, up seven steps.

"It is a rule in their contract that they must do the signings but many times they've forgotten, but they didn't get fined. Now they are fined because you have to start somewhere, otherwise we are never going to change and it's not fair on the children [who receive the shirts]. Small things like this become big problems. We have to respect the rules, otherwise we are never going to change. This is crucial."

Di Canio acknowledged some players have found his regime easier to cope with than others. "For some, it was easy; but for many of them, it was, and is, still difficult because what I ask is very heavy for some of them," he said.

"For me, it is normal; for John O'Shea, it is normal – he came from an environment [at Manchester United] where people used to throw boots in people's faces, the best manager in the world – thanks Alex – if they didn't behave well."

Sunderland's manager has told his players to cancel any plans they had to take flights abroad from Heathrow or to remain in London after the Spurs game. "We are a team so we will fly back together as a team," Di Canio said before confirming that his squad will be expected to train for a few days on Wearside next week.

Some weeks ago: Löw said he won't call up players for the 2 international friendlies from teams in the CL or DFB cup final.
Today: Löw calls up Sven Bender and Großkreutz.

Fucking Löw. Well, have fun with a drunk as fuck Kevin Großkreutz loool

Linius

This sunday I'm going to the traveling GoT exhibition. Checking out Melisandre's sweet red dress. I hope you can take pictures on the iron throne :p

Feorax

Best twitter rumour I've heard today.

Everton have made contact with QPR over Harry Redknapp.

Oh please let this be true.

England squad in full

Goalkeepers
Ben Foster, Joe Hart, Alex McCarthy

Defenders
Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Phil Jagielka, Glen Johnson, Phil Jones, Joleon Lescott, Kyle Walker

Midfielders
Michael Carrick, Tom Cleverley, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Theo Walcott

Forwards
Andy Carroll, Jermain Defoe, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Danny Welbeck

phaze

Metzelder announces retirement:

Schalke defender Christoph Metzelder has confirmed that he is to retire at the end of the season.

The 32-year-old former Germany international will hang up his boots after Saturday's trip to Freiburg. "I am just being honest with myself and I feel that I am no longer physically able to play consistently at this level," he said. "And after 13 years, the fire inside me, which is necessary for this job, has burnt out."

Metzelder ends a career which saw him wear the colours of Schalke's local rivals Borussia Dortmund and Spanish giants Real Madrid, while he also pulled on a Germany shirt 47 times.

"I look back with gratitude on a fantastic career," he said on his current club's website. "I passed my A-levels when I was 19 and, two weeks later, I was making my debut in the Bundesliga, and I was capped for the first time just a year after. When I look back, I see nothing which could have gone any better. Even the injuries were part of my story."

Metzelder missed a full year due to an Achilles tendon problem while his three seasons in Spain were blighted by knocks and niggles.

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=2080426.html
tumblr_me735llAn81r05gj4.jpg

He dropped from my radar a while ago, shame about his injuries.

Salazar

England squad in full

Goalkeepers
Ben Foster, Joe Hart, Alex McCarthy

Defenders
Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Phil Jagielka, Glen Johnson, Phil Jones, Joleon Lescott, Kyle Walker

Midfielders
Michael Carrick, Tom Cleverley, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Theo Walcott

Forwards
Andy Carroll, Jermain Defoe, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Danny Welbeck

#Don'tgiveupGarethBarry

Tegris

Reported Liverpool target Dejan Lovren has recently followed LFC on twitter.

(via @thisisanfield)

Lovren's wiki page:

On the 16th of may 2013 Dejan Lovren signed a pre contract with Liverpool F.C. in replacement of anfield legend Jamie Carragher. It is understood that Dejan will wear the number 6 shirt. He will be unveiled at Anfield as a Liverpool player on June 1st 2013.

Seems legit.

Also, wouldn't mind if we put in a cheeky bid for McCarthy over the summer. He'd be a better backup option than Jones, surely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom