• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT20| What's that smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
WTF! no just no I'm sorry.
Becks :(
btw wtf is that tag under your screen name Wilbs

Haha I love the guy but to me it's felt like he's been on the cusp of retirement for years, just going to different teams boosting his profile and whatnot.

Also for some reason FootyGAF seem to believe I'm a paedophile. Never even touched Quiche.

Zabojnik

Happy enough with it.

Demandred was pretty good. Likewise Mat. Found it hard to give much of a damn, in a dramatic sense, about Rand's gigantically abstracted battle of moral wills with Shai Tan. Brah just ranting in capital letters, innit. Perrin versus Slayer was probably less awesome than in the previous book. More protracted, more vague.

Perrin breaking Lanfear's neck was boss.

And Lan died appropriately. That was the important thing, really.

I'm quite happy with it too, all things considered.
It wasn't really necessary, but I was still hoping we'd get a glimpse into the future of the characters/land after the Last Battle was over. I'm a sucker for that kinda stuff.

Salazar

1RWyAFV.gif

Haha I love the guy but to me it's felt like he's been on the cusp of retirement for years, just going to different teams boosting his profile and whatnot.

Also for some reason FootyGAF seem to believe I'm a paedophile. Never even touched Quiche.

I'm very happy about this. He even had a chance.

lol

He was great and he won things

And he's a looker

Yes he was great. And yes, he is good-looking. But why has anyone cared about his career since 2008? He's been a footballing non-entity, a walking advert, a perennial ambassador since then.

Other than Scholes, who barely counts because how actually underrated he was for England, Beckham is the only world class player England have had since Paul Gascoigne.

lol, no.

Slizz

Yes he was great. And yes, he is good-looking. But why has anyone cared about his career since 2008? He's been a footballing non-entity, a walking advert, a perennial ambassador since then.

Don't you want that? A great, good-looking, winning ambassador for the game.

He had the balls to play with Zidane and Real Ronaldo. And he shined and won one liga among these monsters. He earned the respect of the Madrid fans.

He made me a fan of football, Manyoo and later Real.

I'm in tears somewhat... respect.

Don't you want that? A great, good-looking, winning ambassador for the game.

If that's what people represented him as ala Zidane or Figo, sure. When people jizz themselves silly because he decides to try and sell a few PSG shirts rather than fuck about in America, it grates a bit.

Slizz

If that's what people represented him as ala Zidane or Figo, sure. When people jizz themselves silly because he decides to try and sell a few PSG shirts rather than fuck about in America, it grates a bit.

I gotcha. He's a brand and ambassador.

Time for him to live in Miami and start his MLS team.

Wilbur

Banned
Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Sol Campbell, Steven Gerrard (yes), Jordan Henderson, Wayne Rooney (depending on year.)

Lampard as well, depending on viewpoint.

Lampard's an odd one because I don't know if I'd ever have classed his ability to be on the same level as Scholes or Gerrard, but he just has this undeniable knack of scoring goals. An English Raumdeuter.

Bumhead

Banned
You wouldn't count Ashley Cole or Rio Ferdinand?

Very good players. Cole is a world class player, I'll give you that, but I think Beckham had qualities that elevated him above the likes of Cole, Rio, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry et al.

Beckham was a talisman, a leader, an inspiration, a captain in every sense of the word, and an absolutely top class footballer. A game changer. Like I said, England haven't had one of those since Gascoigne, and they're a million miles away from having any in the team now.

If it wasn't for Steve McClaren, I don't think Beckham would have spent the last however many years in the US and on loan in Europe, and I think he would still be playing for England now. Cheers, Steve.

Very good players. Cole is a world class player, I'll give you that, but I think Beckham had qualities that elevated him above the likes of Cole, Rio, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry et al.

Beckham was a talisman, a leader, an inspiration, a captain in every sense of the word, and an absolutely top class footballer. A game changer. Like I said, England haven't had one of those since Gascoigne, and they're a million miles away from having any in the team now.

If it wasn't for Steve McClaren, I don't think Beckham would have spent the last however many years in the US and on loan in Europe, and I think he would still be playing for England now. Cheers, Steve.

If Beckham was still playing for England now, we'd have such problems we might as well withdraw from all competitive games while we get things sorted out.

Oh fuck, the hayfever itchy eyes has just started. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

What's the best medicine for hayfever, this is only my second year having it?

Meteorain

Happy enough with it.

Demandred was pretty good. Likewise Mat. Found it hard to give much of a damn, in a dramatic sense, about Rand's gigantically abstracted battle of moral wills with Shai Tan. Brah just ranting in capital letters, innit. Perrin versus Slayer was probably less awesome than in the previous book. More protracted, more vague.

Perrin breaking Lanfear's neck was boss.

And Lan died appropriately. That was the important thing, really.

What were you reading? Lan did not die

Bumhead

Banned
If Beckham was still playing for England now, we'd have such problems we might as well withdraw from all competitive games while we get things sorted out.

I can see why you'd say that, what with all the world class talent the current England team is currently blessed with and all the success we're having.

There's no reason why Beckham shouldn't have had the longevity of his career as the likes of Ryan Giggs have had. I mean he's not exactly done bad for himself anyway - still playing Champions League football in his last year - but he should still have been at a top club at this stage in his career and he should still have been representing England. And if he wasn't still representing England, it should have been at his descretion. Not effectively put out to pasture by a muppet manager out of his depth and looking for a scapegoat to hang out to dry in a vein attempt to stamp his authority on an underfperforming squad.

Beckham's international career - and in my opinion, his club career too to quite a large extent - was compromised heavily by McClaren's decision to effectively axe him from England duty. His career has never been the same since (despite the fact he's gone on to win trophies elsewhere).

Wilbur

Banned
Calling Beckham Dave does so much to humanise him in my eyes.

Then I see his cock in some H&M naughties and I remember he is a 21st Century Adonis <3

Zabojnik

As well as everything else, Dave was from the baggy shirts era.

I thought he sank onto Demandred's blade in order to jab him in the neck. Hence "death is lighter than a feather", yo.

WoT spoiler
Yeah, that's not what happened. :p He survived.

Meteorain

As well as everything else, Dave was from the baggy shirts era.

I thought he sank onto Demandred's blade in order to jab him in the neck. Hence "death is lighter than a feather", yo.

Lan is too much of a beast to die to that shit. He fucking decapitated Demandred and walked around parading his head after he got stabbed!

Linius

My dad was kind of shit with this. He let me buy Resident Evil when I was still in single digit age. It scared the shit out of me but I was really into horror movies and such through my childhood, so I got to appreciate it with time. :p

Also the blockbusters didn't give a shit about age ratings I remember. Rented Silent Hill from there and the cashier guy said "you do know this is really scare... Right?" and before I had even replied another guy working there said "of course that is why he's renting it!" and I got my game lol

Seriously never got past the first death scene thing in Silent Hill as I just quit there the first time I played it then, it was too much for me. Now I wish some game could replicate the feeling.

I can imagine that scaring the shit out of you :lol

My dad is a gamer so he knows what's up and that's why he was overprotective. The first 18+ game I was allowed to buy was Assassin's Creed back in 2007. I turned 16 two months before it's release :/

NINTENDO DIRECT INCOMING!!

HYPEEEEEE

What's it about? 3DS or Wii U?

I can see why you'd say that, what with all the world class talent the current England team is currently blessed with and all the success we're having.

There's no reason why Beckham shouldn't have had the longevity of his career as the likes of Ryan Giggs have had. I mean he's not exactly done bad for himself anyway - still playing Champions League football in his last year - but he should still have been at a top club at this stage in his career and he should still have been representing England. And if he wasn't still representing England, it should have been at his descretion. Not effectively put out to pasture by a muppet manager out of his depth and looking for a scapegoat to hang out to dry in a vein attempt to stamp his authority on an underfperforming squad.

Beckham's international career - and in my opinion, his club career too to quite a large extent - was compromised heavily by McClaren's decision to effectively axe him from England duty. His career has never been the same since (despite the fact he's gone on to win trophies elsewhere).

Plenty of players get axed from their natonal teams, most of them get over it and don't use it as an excuse for the downturn in their career (Owen) or have others do it for them (you with Beckham)

He got old, the team was in dire need of an overhaul, and that overhaul happened to include getting rid of players who were only contributing one or two things to the team. Honestly, I'd be happier to see an Ashley Young or a Downing playing for England than Beckham. I trust them more to contribute throughout a match, and to help keep us from being overrun on whichever wing they're playing on.

And Giggs is still playing at the top for a few reasons which Beckham doesn't have. Firstly. he's at a club where he is a hero. They'll let him play on for as long as he's physically capable. Second, at the age of 40 he is more physically gifted than Beckham was at 30. Thirdly, he has accepted settling on the bench, rather than jetsetting about looking for the next big city and big headline, at the cost of being able to sit down for a few months and stick around for long enough to find a suitable squad position.

Arnie

I've had the strangest dream. I was in a meeting with Don Draper and the rest of the Mad Men cast. We were trying very hard to come up with an ad for United's new striker. The punchline was going to be "Who needs Rumbo when you have ... ?" Jumbo? Dumbo? Mumbo? Nobody was able to come up with a clever word. At some point an intern came into the room, bringing coffee and biscuits. It was Arnie. Peggy said "thank you, darling" to him. He smiled politely, but it was a fake smile. You could see he resented her. So odd and random.

Jesus, that genuinely bares frightening similarities to what I'll be doing come July.

Except the resenting Peggy part. I love Peggy, and I'm sure I'll love all the females at my new workplace.

Don't give a fuck about Beckham. Jumped the country too quick and played for those who must not be named. His only positive contributions to my life were the free kick against Greece and being in the perfect position to deflect Gerrard's shot over the head of Barthez* in the 2003 Worthington Cup Final.

Might not have been Barthez. That game's just a pleasent blur.

Plenty of players get axed from their natonal teams, most of them get over it and don't use it as an excuse for the downturn in their career (Owen) or have others do it for them (you with Beckham)

He got old, the team was in dire need of an overhaul, and that overhaul happened to include getting rid of players who were only contributing one or two things to the team. Honestly, I'd be happier to see an Ashley Young or a Downing playing for England than Beckham. I trust them more to contribute throughout a match, and to help keep us from being overrun on whichever wing they're playing on.

And Giggs is still playing at the top for a few reasons which Beckham doesn't have. Firstly. he's at a club where he is a hero. They'll let him play on for as long as he's physically capable. Second, at the age of 40 he is more physically gifted than Beckham was at 30. Thirdly, he has accepted settling on the bench, rather than jetsetting about looking for the next big city and big headline, at the cost of being able to sit down for a few months and stick around for long enough to find a suitable squad position.
After Beckham was dropped he came back into the team and showed he could still contribute.

Don't think he'd still be playing for England now but he was only dropped because McLaren felt he had to make a statement - not because he wasn't good enough.

Also I don't think Beckham has ever made excuses in his career or felt sorry for himself. His dedication to England was really impressive - England could do with players like that now who genuinely love playing for their country. Beckham represented England in distinguished fashion.

Bumhead

Banned
He got old, the team was in dire need of an overhaul, and that overhaul happened to include getting rid of players who were only contributing one or two things to the team.

Really? So Beckham was the only one who fit that category? Absolute nonsense. If axing Beckham was about the progression of the England team and about an "overhaul", then Beckham wouldn't have been the only one being axed in 2006/2007, and McClaren wouldn't have crawled back to him later on in that campaign when it become painfully clear he'd made a mess of it.

McClaren was out of his depth and axing Beckham was a premature (and ultimately failed) attempt to stamp his auhtority on the England squad in the false name of the exact things you mentioned. There was no progression and the "overhaul" never happened.

As for Beckham's ability to play at the top level, do you think he would have gone to the US and spent the last several years of his career in limbo between the MLS and loan spells in Europe if he still had an England career? I don't. Neither does Beckham, based on what he's publicly said in the past. It's not about excuses or defending him. His role with the England team meant everything to Beckham and I believe the lack of any future at International level was a catalyst for him moving to the US when he did. Were it not for that, and the subsequent spells either in the footballing backwaters or on loan as a result, I think Beckham would still have been performing at a high standard at a successful European club now.

Messi

Haha my work got me Barcelona coloured cupcakes with haribo gummy bears on top.

Legit impressed they went to a bakery

Really? So Beckham was the only one who fit that category? Absolute nonsense. If axing Beckham was about the progression of the England team and about an "overhaul", then Beckham wouldn't have been the only one being axed in 2006/2007, and McClaren wouldn't have crawled back to him later on in that campaign when it become painfully clear he'd made a mess of it.

McClaren was out of his depth and axing Beckham was a premature (and ultimately failed) attempt to stamp his auhtority on the England squad in the false name of the exact things you mentioned. There was no progression and the "overhaul" never happened.

As for Beckham's ability to play at the top level, do you think he would have gone to the US and spent the last several years of his career in limbo between the MLS and loan spells in Europe if he still had an England career? I don't. Neither does Beckham, based on what he's publicly said in the past. It's not about excuses or defending him. His role with the England team meant everything to Beckham and I believe the lack of any future at International level was a catalyst for him moving to the US when he did. Were it not for that, and the subsequent spells either in the footballing backwaters or on loan as a result, I think Beckham would still have been performing at a high standard at a successful European club now.

Fair enough, McLaren treated him unfairly in relation to others who were in the same boat (all of whom have since proven to have had more years in them than Beckham, aside from Joe Cole.) But tough shit, them's the breaks, you play with the hand you're dealt. Even if McLaren was the catalyst, Beckham reacted particularly badly if that's the reason he decided to waste his last years of being capable of playing at the top level.

Arnie

Domestic transfer window opens in a couple of weeks doesn't it?

We should receive the money to do this deal pretty soon then.

You see that Guardian scouting guy say the interest is concrete? Plus that Twitter ITK with solid foundations? It's got all the ingredients for a full muppet saga. I'm excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom