• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT20| What's that smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabojnik

I've had the strangest dream. I was in a meeting with Don Draper and the rest of the Mad Men cast. We were trying very hard to come up with an ad for United's new striker. The punchline was going to be "Who needs Rumbo when you have ... ?" Jumbo? Dumbo? Mumbo? Nobody was able to come up with a clever word. At some point an intern came into the room, bringing coffee and biscuits. It was Arnie. Peggy said "thank you, darling" to him. He smiled politely, but it was a fake smile. You could see he resented her. So odd and random.

De Sciglio is the man. One day he will be at Barca.

I don't think so. Not everybody is a treacherous son of a crack whore like Zambrotta.

Finished the last Wheel of Time book.

I did too, yesterday. What did you think of it?

Wilbur

Banned
Xavi claims his Spanish international team-mate Iker Casillas "does not deserve" the way he has been treated by Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho.

Goalkeeper Casillas, Real's captain, was dropped in December and has spent much of this season on the bench.

"In September, they were touting him for the Ballon d'Or. Now it's like he's dead wood," Xavi said of his friend.

But presumably he's okay with Diego Lopez going back to being treated like deadwood?

Fuck off you frog eyed pretentious cunt, go back to tugging your dick looking at ceilings and playing two sided triangles with your fucking reflection.

Tegris

Hopefully McCarthy would turn you down. Looks to be a talented young keeper, shouldn't be content at riding the bench.

Reina won't be around forever, and he's become more and more inconsistent over the last few seasons. Why wouldn't McCarthy want an opportunity to learn from an excellent goalkeeper, with a view to staking a claim to a regular first-team place in two years' time? It's not unheard of for promising young goalkeepers to join clubs as backups anyway - we signed Carson at the same time as Reina, Kirkland at the same time as Dudek, etc.

Messi

But presumably he's okay with Diego Lopez going back to being treated like deadwood?

Fuck off you frog eyed pretentious cunt, go back to tugging your dick looking at ceilings and playing two sided triangles with your fucking reflection.

Both people are to blame, but Casillas should have to fight for his position. Lopez should not lose this spot because casillas said so.

Reina won't be around forever, and he's become more and more inconsistent over the last few seasons. Why wouldn't McCarthy want an opportunity to learn from an excellent goalkeeper, with a view to staking a claim to a regular first-team place in two years' time? It's not unheard of for promising young goalkeepers to join clubs as backups anyway - we signed Carson at the same time as Reina, Kirkland at the same time as Dudek, etc.
It's quite rare that the "understudy" steps up to become the #1 at most of the top clubs.

2 years of sitting on the bench, playing reserve football...odd appearances here and there - really stunts the development of a young player. If he was signed and then sent out on loan that would be much better for him.

Wilbur

Banned

Oh I know it happens, but there comes a time - like with Courtois and Cech now, Lopez and Casillas - where both can legitimately stake a claim to being number one and the player that isn't won't be happy. It would be a shame to see McCarthy sit on the bench if he can get game time somewhere else, despite it being a good point that he'd learn from Reina.

Meier

England squad in full

Goalkeepers
Ben Foster, Joe Hart, Alex McCarthy

This dude had an absolutely incredible game against us the other day. Hart made a few nice saves of his own but wow! I was impressed. The CityTV announcers mentioned he apparently had a huge game against Liverpool recently as well (I believe it was 'Pool). Definitely one to watch..

GorillaJu

This dude had an absolutely incredible game against us the other day. Hart made a few nice saves of his own but wow! I was impressed. The CityTV announcers mentioned he apparently had a huge game against Liverpool recently as well (I believe it was 'Pool). Definitely one to watch..

That's an understatement. There were moments where Sturridge and Suarez just stared at each other with their hands on their heads wondering how the ball wasn't going in. Not only was he stopping every shot, but he was holding onto them as well. He's definitely one to watch.

Wilbur

Banned
Both people are to blame, but Casillas should have to fight for his position. Lopez should not lose this spot because casillas said so.

Yeah, this notion that Casillas should just walk back in the team is really irritating me. I used to really like Casillas but this has soured my opinion of him.

The other night I woke up in the middle of the night and my first thought was "one day I'm going to die"

It was fucking weird.

I used to be terrified of death, couldn't go to sleep without crying when I was like 5/6 for fear I wouldn't wake up.

He was incredible against Liverpool. Try and watch the highlights if you can, it was just save after save after save.

Meier

That's an understatement. There were moments where Sturridge and Suarez just stared at each other with their hands on their heads wondering how the ball wasn't going in. Not only was he stopping every shot, but he was holding onto them as well. He's definitely one to watch.

He was incredible against Liverpool. Try and watch the highlights if you can, it was just save after save after save.

I believe it. I think they mentioned some described it as one of the best keeping performances they'd ever seen. He had quite the highlight reel against us so I'll have to search out the clips from that LFC game.

Turns out he is the first ever Reading academy player to be called up to the England team. Wow, what a stat! Well deserved though clearly.

Alex McCarthy started the season very well too but sadly picked up that nasty injury.

Beckham retiring apparently. Get him to United right now, ambassador or whatever he'll sell shit.

Wilbur

Banned
Alex McCarthy started the season very well too but sadly picked up that nasty injury.

Beckham retiring apparently. Get him to United right now, ambassador or whatever he'll sell shit.

:lol just admit it Vulva, you're Joel Glazer

Clegg and both Nevilles! And Butt is already there. Get Yorkie for a laff.

Meier

Mangala in the France squad. Going to be interesting to see if/where he moves this summer. City have been circling for awhile but he is in demand from pretty much every big club.

subtles

Does Mourinho still suspect Casillas is the one leaking the dressing room situation to the press? I remember reading a stat that said Real Madrid would be 8 or so points ahead of Barcelona at the top of the table if the league started from January (when Lopez was signed).

Wilbur

Banned
Beckham retiring doesn't have the same impact Scholes and Fergie do... maybe it's because he's been hopping round Europe like a student high on ket for a while now, not to mention USA.

Still, league titles in five different countries, got to give him props for that. Great man, underrated player, love u Becks

Does Mourinho still suspect Casillas is the one leaking the dressing room situation to the press? I remember reading a stat that said Real Madrid would be 8 or so points ahead of Barcelona at the top of the table if the league started from January (when Lopez was signed).
There isn't much to suspect at this point.

Carbonara or whatever her name is keeps dropping dressing room bombs. Only one person who's feeding the info to her.

My dad kept me from playing 18+ games a long long time so I've only played it at friends houses. Never really played the story line.

My dad was kind of shit with this. He let me buy Resident Evil when I was still in single digit age. It scared the shit out of me but I was really into horror movies and such through my childhood, so I got to appreciate it with time. :p

Also the blockbusters didn't give a shit about age ratings I remember. Rented Silent Hill from there and the cashier guy said "you do know this is really scare... Right?" and before I had even replied another guy working there said "of course that is why he's renting it!" and I got my game lol

Seriously never got past the first death scene thing in Silent Hill as I just quit there the first time I played it then, it was too much for me. Now I wish some game could replicate the feeling.

Wilbur

Banned

I think it's a mixture of things; Casillas being Spain captain and so close to the Barca lads means they'll be wanting to talk out about it when they can, not to mention the fact he's revered by fans and so players like Pepe can win brownie points by taking his side. Then there's the fact Iker is literally bumming one of Spain's most identifiable sports reporters, so I can only imagine a lot of his angst goes out through her. The Spanish media are almost as fucking awful as ours, if not more so.

No. I'm sorry, but no.

I think so. Far more was made of his set piece delivery and celebrity than the fact he was a supremely intelligent footballer on the pitch.

Beckham, Giggs, Solksjaer, Scholes coaching team at United.

iEZHLLpWaN495.gif

Beckham was really good when he was with United. I think his popularity caused people to believe he was overrated. I think he's overrated by casuals and underrated by serious fans.

Hmm, I feel like maybe Beckham was under-rated when he was at his best and over-rated when past it.

I will love him forever and a day for what he did for us in 1999 though. That season by him is up there with one of the very best in United's recent history. The team was amazing but he was the star.

Zabojnik

I think so. Far more was made of his set piece delivery and celebrity than the fact he was a supremely intelligent footballer on the pitch.

I don't see him having the career he's had without the celebrity. Dunno, never rated him outside of his United days. He was absolutely brilliant there, but so was Eriberto/Luciano in Del Neri's Chievo.

Hmm, I feel like maybe Beckham was under-rated when he was at his best and over-rated when past it.

This.

Wilbur

Banned

I will love him forever and a day for what he did for us in 1999 though. That season by him is up there with one of the very best in United's recent history. The team was amazing but he was the star.

Yeah, this. Far too much made of his sojourns with Milan, Galaxy and PSG but at his best with us and Madrid he was great. Any other player and I'd have no hesitation in picking him for a favourite United team but unfortunately Ronaldo's there :lol

A bit young to fully remember in the moment, but watching the Treble DVDs he was amazing. Genuinely stood out in arguably one of the best midfields ever. Cole and Yorke must have fucking loved playing ahead of him.

Salazar

I did too, yesterday. What did you think of it?

Happy enough with it.

Demandred was pretty good. Likewise Mat. Found it hard to give much of a damn, in a dramatic sense, about Rand's gigantically abstracted battle of moral wills with Shai Tan. Brah just ranting in capital letters, innit. Perrin versus Slayer was probably less awesome than in the previous book. More protracted, more vague.

Perrin breaking Lanfear's neck was boss.

And Lan died appropriately. That was the important thing, really.

Yeah, this. Far too much made of his sojourns with Milan, Galaxy and PSG but at his best with us and Madrid he was great. Any other player and I'd have no hesitation in picking him for a favourite United team but unfortunately Ronaldo's there :lol

A bit young to fully remember in the moment, but watching the Treble DVDs he was amazing. Genuinely stood out in arguably one of the best midfields ever. Cole and Yorke must have fucking loved playing ahead of him.

Yeah, I'm watching all of United's 90s goals on nico nico. Incredible teams.

Clegg

OptaJoe ‏@OptaJoe 27s

534 - David Beckham has played 534 top-flight league games during his career, scoring or assisting 242 goals overall. Golden.

He was some man when at his best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom