• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT20| What's that smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

What are your expectations from Liverpool and Rodgers next season? Top 4 or Europe was a bit tight this year for Liverpool and you bowed out of all cup competitions early.

Well we're 12 points away from that fourth spot this year, so I'm going to say that I expect Rodgers to close that gap. I want to be within touching distance, whether we get it or not. I don't want to be cut adrift. I think without a Europa League distraction and with a solid summer we can give it a good go. We lost so many points during the first few months when we were acclimatising to Rodgers' methods, and we had a disastrous start.

As far as Kolo is concerned I see the Gallas comparisons, but at the same time Kolo's just had a solid season, whereas Gallas was half retired by the time he went to Spurs. I think it's a solid backup to the squad.

dc89

Manchester City dressing room manuals

l3wwwhY.gif

-.- very clever

Lightning

Banned
Well we're 12 points away from that fourth spot this year, so I'm going to say that I expect Rodgers to close that gap. I want to be within touching distance, whether we get it or not. I don't want to be cut adrift. I think without a Europa League distraction and with a solid summer we can give it a good go. We lost so many points during the first few months when we were acclimatising to Rodgers' methods, and we had a disastrous start.

As far as Kolo is concerned I see the Gallas comparisons, but at the same time Kolo's just had a solid season, whereas Gallas was half retired by the time he went to Spurs. I think it's a solid backup to the squad.
Which areas do you think need strengthening and any idea which players Liverpool are currently linked with?

Arnie

And where should I be watching this Xbox nonsense?
I'm going to watch it on my 360.
Which areas do you think need strengthening and any idea which players Liverpool are currently linked with?
It has to be the defence and goalkeeper.

We've scored shit loads of goals this year, played some fantastic attacking football, but we concede for fun. Since Carragher came into the side we've only lost one, which is a sign of improvement and an indictment of just how poor Skrtel was pre-January.

I think we'll sell Skrtel and Coates, and we're chasing Papadopoulos and Ilori to replace them. One's from Shalke, the other from Sporting. Toure is Carragher's replacement, an experienced backup.

:lol Klopp's hilarious, calling Bayern a bond villain and laying the truth about Kagawa.

Cheers guys

Backup keeper
2 or 3 CBs
Left back to compete with Enrique
Right back to compete with Johnson
Backup DM
First choice winger
Backup winger
Striker willing to sit on the bench

We need a lot of squad players capable of becoming first 11ers imo

Lightning

Banned
We've scored shit loads of goals this year, played some fantastic attacking football, but we concede for fun. Since Carragher came into the side we've only lost one, which is a sign of improvement and an indictment of just how poor Skrtel was pre-January.

I think we'll sell Skrtel and Coates, and we're chasing Papadopoulos and Ilori to replace them. One's from Shalke, the other from Sporting. Toure is Carragher's replacement, an experienced backup.
I don't totally agree honestly. You had a recent 0-0 draws with Reading, Everton and West Ham. The only games you scored for fun in was Newcastle who are abysmal, Chelsea and Fulham. I'm also not a fan of judging things on "late run" because judging by that we only conceded 5 goals in 11 games, 4 of those were from set pieces, so you look at that and think our defence was fine. Reality is obviously a little different.

Do you think you have enough firepower? I think Coutinho has been great but it would require him to really kick on next season and that's risky. Struddige is good on his day but is inconsistent and greedy and first 6 games no Suarez. Too much burden on Coutinho, he's been brilliant, but I would be nervous pinning all my hopes on him. Cisse was brilliant for Newcastle when he first came in and he looked like the bargin of a decade but this season he has fallen WAY short. Coutinho may not suffer the same fate but sides will start to shut him down and cut his space out if he doesn't get proper support.

spidye

"We are a club, not a company," Klopp says, "but it depends on which kind of story the neutral fan wants to hear. If he respects the story of Bayern, and how much they have won since the 1970s, he can support them. But if he wants the new story, the special story, it must be Dortmund. I think, in this moment in the football world, you have to be on our side."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Clegg

Finished my exams last wednesday and have a job for the summer. But that doesn't start for another three weeks so right now I'm bored stiff.

Need transfer muppetry to sustain me.

Zabojnik

His first coaching inspiration, Wolfgang Frank, managed Klopp for years at Mainz and they were fascinated by Arrigo Sacchi's work at Milan. "Even though we were in the second division we were the first German team to play 4-4-2 without a libero. We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics.

Arrigheee! What a legend. Conte is one of his spiritual pupils too. They go gay for each other every time they cross paths on TV.

Arnie

I don't totally agree honestly. You had a recent 0-0 draws with Reading, Everton and West Ham. The only games you scored for fun in was Newcastle who are abysmal, Chelsea and Fulham. I'm also not a fan of judging things on "late run" because judging by that we only conceded 5 goals in 11 games, 4 of those were from set pieces, so you look at that and think our defence was fine. Reality is obviously a little different.
We scored one less goal than Arsenal but ended up 12 points behind. That's an indictment of a poor defence.

Whilst I agree with the 'late run' thing (When Kenny arrived we were 2nd in the league for form until the end of that season), this is less a late run and more a gradual improvement in the team structure since Christmas. The group's just improved as a team, whereas at the start of the season we were so fragile.

Do you think you have enough firepower? I think Coutinho has been great but it would require him to really kick on next season and that's risky. Struddige is good on his day but is inconsistent and greedy and first 6 games no Suarez. Too much burden on Coutinho, he's been brilliant, but I would be nervous pinning all my hopes on him. Cisse was brilliant for Newcastle when he first came in and he looked like the bargin of a decade but this season he has fallen WAY short. Coutinho may not suffer the same fate but sides will start to shut him down and cut his space out if he doesn't get proper support.
Well I think you're being harsh on Sturridge and judging him from his time at Chelsea, not Liverpool. I think him and Suarez are great options up front, considering how well they've each done this season.

I agree with Coutinho, I said the other week that people should stop hyping him to the heavens because he's bound to fall back to Earth. And then the week after he scored a worldie from 25 yards. To be honest we've spread our goals around well since January, with players like Henderson, Downing, and Gerrard scoring crucial ones.

An attacking signing like Eriksen would be nice, but I don't think it's what we need to bridge that gap. We need to concede fewer.

bjaelke

Babette van Haaren @Babettex23
Nacer Chadli (FC Twente) linked to Borussia Dortmund. Other clubs interested: Juventus and Liverpool (Voetbal International).

Young Moroccan winger from the Eresdivisie. Assaidi 2.0?

Arnie

Nacer Chadli (FC Twente) linked to Borussia Dortmund. Other clubs interested: Juventus and Liverpool (Voetbal International).

We need to do something with Assaidi. Either swap him for this fella who Rodgers must rate higher, or use him as a makeweight for Eriksen. Either way he's wasted wages and a place on the bench that isn't going to challenge the first team.

confuziz

Banned

Hahaha you guys are damn funny. Chadli is leagues ahead of Assaidi. He is basically messi compared to him.

spidye

If I had to pick between Dortmund and Bayern it would be Dortmund all the way.

I think many people have an affinity with a club like that. Every league has this team which has dominated in recent memory and naturally they get haters.

So yeah. #FuckBayern. #LetsGoDortmund

I seriously don't give a rat's ass who you or any other neutral is going to support for the final.

I find that statement ludicrous. just turn on german TV. there are at least four times more ads with BVB than with bayern.
there isn't one ad break without klopp's face in it.

not a company my ass. they're are a company like everyone else which is totally fine
but then he's posting ridiculous schmalz just to be the lovable guy.

dc89

I seriously don't give a rat's ass who you or any other neutral is going to support for the final.

I find that statement ludicrous. just turn on german TV. there are at least four times more ads with BVB than with bayern.

not a company my ass. there are a company like everyone else which is totally fine

image.php

bjaelke

We need to do something with Assaidi. Either swap him for this fella who Rodgers must rate higher, or use him as a makeweight for Eriksen. Either way he's wasted wages and a place on the bench that isn't going to challenge the first team.

I reckon he'll get another season before being shipped off. Can't see him breaking into the squad as it stands right now.

---

Snippet from a Danish sports article posted this morning:
(Journalist): I just wanted to hear how you are feeling.
- How can you call me at 7.50 am and ask about that?
(Journalist): I just thought you had a good time last night.
- I have no comments. Call me at another time
Oh wait, it's not a snippet. That's the entire article.

Lightning

Banned
We scored one less goal than Arsenal but ended up 12 points behind. That's an indictment of a poor defence.

Whilst I agree with the 'late run' thing (When Kenny arrived we were 2nd in the league for form until the end of that season), this is less a late run and more a gradual improvement in the team structure since Christmas. The group's just improved as a team, whereas at the start of the season we were so fragile.
We're a poor indicator. We really are. Our attack is shit but we battered teams who cannot defend. You can make parallels between our clubs

Liverpool:

Norwich - 10 goals in 2 games
Fulham - 7 goal in 2 games
Wigan - 4 goals in 1 game
Swansea - 5 goals in 1 game
Newcastle - 6 goals in 1 game

Arsenal

Newcastle - 7 goals in 1 game
Southampton - 6 goals 1 game
Reading - 9 goals in 2 games
West Ham - 8 goals in 2 games

I could list them all but you get the idea that we both went on goal scoring routs in certain fixtures to bloat our goals scored. On the opposite side of the scale though Liverpool were held scoreless or to 1 goal 20 times in the PL and Arsenal were held scoreless or to 1 goal 22 times in the PL. This is not good enough. You need an outstanding defence to get to the top 4 this way. We only conceded 5 goals in 11 games and that is the only reason we made it. You could think this means our defence is excellent but late run very misleading here too.

Well I think you're being harsh on Sturridge and judging him from his time at Chelsea, not Liverpool. I think him and Suarez are great options up front, considering how well they've each done this season.

I agree with Coutinho, I said the other week that people should stop hyping him to the heavens because he's bound to fall back to Earth. And then the week after he scored a worldie from 25 yards. To be honest we've spread our goals around well since January, with players like Henderson, Downing, and Gerrard scoring crucial ones.

An attacking signing like Eriksen would be nice, but I don't think it's what we need to bridge that gap. We need to concede fewer.
You need one more attacking player imo. Eriksen would be great but with no improvement going forward it will not be that much of a stretch to see Liverpool to be held scoreless or to 1 goal in more than half their fixtures again next season. You do need defensive improvements but attack should not be neglected or it could cost you.

not a company my ass. they're are a company like everyone else which is totally fine
I would say Klopp has the cool factor that Bayern are missing but since you supported our CL bid and put a boot into Spurs after we made it I am going to join a FUCK DORTMUND crusade until after the final to repay you. :p

Arnie

Liverpool Plan £12 million move for Papadopoulous - Echo

Liverpool FC are set to launch a £12million bid to sign Schalke centre-back Kyriakos Papadopoulos.

The Reds have identified the 21-year-old Greek international as their No 1 target to replace Jamie Carragher.

Papadopoulos missed the second half of the Bundesliga season after undergoing surgery on his left knee back in December but has now recovered and Liverpool have no concerns over his long-term fitness.

Manchester City, Chelsea and Atletico Madrid have also been linked with the highly-rated 6ft defender but the Reds are ready to act fast in the hope of winning the battle for his services.

Physically strong, comfortable in possession and dominant in the air, Papadopoulos has jumped above Swansea City's Ashley Williams and Ajax's Toby Alderweireld on the club's wish list of centre-backs.

The ECHO understands Liverpool are no longer interested in Williams with the Welsh club's £12million price tag for a player who turns 29 in August leading to them pursuing other options which provide better value.

RUMBO

:lol Papa turned down Zenit because he didn't want to play in Russia.

My hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom