• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT20| What's that smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

Is there a word like this for games?

264502_10151599324525742_219824389_n.jpg

積みゲー tsumigei (tsoo mee gay)

Arnie

That Xbox stuff you lot were talking about last night, you can't just say ignore the extra stuff if you don't want it when they've gone and designed the system around that stuff. And I don't mean it's physically impossible to ignore that stuff, I mean that the reason the system isn't as powerful as it could be is because of that stuff. Also, you're paying for and using Kinect whether you like it or not.

It's pretty clever how they've positioned this new Xbox to take over the living room to be honest. You plug whatever tv box you own into your Xbox, under the guise of their one input/fast switching system, then the first thing you see when you go to watch tv is the dashboard and their ads.
Kyle asked me a question that I only saw it after he'd become embroiled in a discussion with others, but essentially my answer was this.

I've got nothing against this stuff, I even thought the snapping, and talking, and all that added functionality was fairly cool. But if I'm spending £400 on a device I want it to best suit my needs, and I'd rather have a console that's built first and foremost to play games. I don't want games to be part of a wider ecosystem, I want them to be the ecosystem.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Is there a word for buying players and not using them? Elia-ku?

And between Jovetic and Higuain..I want Tevez.

Kyle asked me a question that I only saw it after he'd become embroiled in a discussion with others, but essentially my answer was this.

I've got nothing against this stuff, I even thought the snapping, and talking, and all that added functionality was fairly cool. But if I'm spending £400 on a device I want it to best suit my needs, and I'd rather have a console that's built first and foremost to play games. I don't want games to be part of a wider ecosystem, I want them to be the ecosystem.
Fair enough. I just think at this point we've been around the block in terms of console reveals. We know what consoles will do. Play games.

That always will be core functionality, otherwise it won't be branded as a games console.

So it makes sense to come out and show all the additional stuff that their competitors won't have.

MS were never going to show all their cards with E3 around the corner, which is where all the game content will be.

As for the added stuff, I don't know why it can't be ignored? A lot of the features they showed are basically already on Xbox. Now it's just integrated better -- or so they say. And if it is, and if it works, why turn our noses up at it?

I'm in the same boat as you in that I think some of it looks cool but don't foresee myself using it. But if that's the case, then I just won't.

Maybe I'm off with this comparison, but if we took that attitude with mobile phones, we we'd only make calls and send texts. I want a phone, but not a camera and internet and video and games...

I'm typing this up on my phone before I go in to an exam, so if the post is a mess that's why.

Anyway, plenty of time to chat Xbox shit.

Arnie

Good luck Kyle.

I'm in the library but I made the mistake of buying a Relentless and a Times on the way here. I've just read Tony Barrett's piece which says Shalke are ready to sell for £12m, and now I'm buzzing my tits off.

dc89

Is it safe to say if Sony can at least attempt to emulate Steam and how they manage digital sales and stuff they will win the generation?

Both news seem consistent with a sale of Son. Arnesen hasn't performed that well during his mandate, he could have done more with different means. HSV has debts and look in worse shape than Schalke themselves in that regard.

Arnesen has done a horrible job. He fucking signed half of Chelsea's reserve side in the first year. The only decent signings he made were Rudnevs and Badelj and they really are nothing more than decent. And before you say anything, no I don't think he had that much to do with van der Vaart and Adler and I don't think he'd have done much better with more money :D

Is it safe to say if Sony can at least attempt to emulate Steam and how they manage digital sales and stuff they will win the generation?

Just focus on the games and they win.

The best bit of the MS conference was 15 exclusives and 8 new ip's but that has now been largely ignored thanks to all the other crop.

We will know by E3.

Arnie

No, that's a rash statement.

It's also important to note that GAF's in no way indicative of the majority of gamers. It's a mad house for the most insane. Just because GAF are all aboard the PS4 train doesn't mean the masses will be.

They've been doing a similair thing relative to MS and Nintendo shop prices. Like their Witcher sale or something like that, GTA games were fairly cheap cooperativity and Ni No Kuni was 20 pounds. Also Dragons Dogma launched with a fair price as well.

phaze

Gaf do any of you guys know what channels the CL final would be available on in the U.S?

it's on FOX, 2:45p EST.

Yaya Sanogo has confirmed he is looking forward to linking up with Arsenal next season.
Arsene Wenger revealed last week that a deal for the 20-year-old Auxerre front-man was close.
And Sanogo has now confirmed that he is ready to link up with the Gunners.
"Arsenal could be a great club for me, I scored nine goals this season with Auxerre and they think I can improve my level in England," he told Sky Sports.
"I am pleased to be following in the footsteps of Abou Diaby who came through from Auxerre.
"There are many teams interested in me, but Arsenal is my choice."
Arsenal will be due to pay Auxerre compensation for Sanogo, who is under 23.

GorillaJu

Tsoo mee gay? Not falling for that one.

is that definitely the word?

Well there's no "real" word. But if you google tsumigei, you get lots of results, blog posts, people talking about it, etc.

It's not going to show up in the dictionary like tsundoku. I just wrote out tsoo mee gay because sometimes people misread Japanese pronunciation. People say, for example, carry-okie instead of "kah rah oh kay" for KARAOKE, or lately I've heard a westerner say "tsoon-dear" for "tsundere" (should be like tsoon-daylay)

Arnie

Injury prone striker arrives and declares it a pleasure to follow in Abou Diaby's footsteps.

You can't make it up at Arsenal.

GorillaJu

Is there a word for buying players and not using them? Elia-ku?

And between Jovetic and Higuain..I want Tevez.

:lol :lol :lol

I could say it in a few words I suppose.

香川選手のようなもったいない移籍

A Kagawa-like waste of a transfer

Arnie

香川選手のようなもったいない移籍

Fucckkkkkk

I'm in the library but I need to copy that into a bookmark.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
has Blablurn returned to this thread? saw him on gaming side repping Munich.

He left?

odd_morsel said:

香川選手のようなもったいない移籍

Sounds looks good to me!

Fudging Higuain, 香川選手のようなもったいない移籍. We shouldn't pay more than 18M for him.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I hope Spurs try to sign Son. We've been looking at him for a while and I think he's the sort of signing we need. A young talent who wouldn't cost too much more than £10m.

Galliani and Allegri are discussing the severance package (Allegri earns €2.8m per year and wants around €5m).

This is really happening. We're letting Allegri go and signing Seedorf. I can't fucking believe it, one year we let Thiago and Ibra leave, one year later we get a guy who has never been a coach, I wonder what will happen next year when we won't even be in the Europa League.

Arnie

I hope Spurs try to sign Son. We've been looking at him for a while and I think he's the sort of signing we need. A young talent who wouldn't cost too much more than £10m.
Surprised nobody's gone for him yet. He's another FM player but from what I've seen he's top quality. Technically excellent, and like you say, not hugely expensive.

Can play anywhere on a forward line, too. Like the Korean Borini.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
It's Vidal's birthday! And he's finally on Twitter! @kingarturo23

Don't ask him to join [insert club], please.

Gareth Bale said:
Why not Luis Muriel? Is he not the next big thing in Italy?

Meh. They want too much for him anyway. Would be a 香川選手のようなもったいない移籍.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Galliani and Allegri are discussing the severance package (Allegri earns €2.8m per year and wants around €5m).

This is really happening. We're letting Allegri go and signing Seedorf. I can't fucking believe it, one year we let Thiago and Ibra leave, one year later we get a guy who has never been a coach, I wonder what will happen next year when we won't even be in the Europa League.

I don't get why Mazzarri isn't under consideration? He should be.

Kenka

Arnesen has done a horrible job. He fucking signed half of Chelsea's reserve side in the first year. The only decent signings he made were Rudnevs and Badelj and they really are nothing more than decent. And before you say anything, no I don't think he had that much to do with van der Vaart and Adler and I don't think he'd have done much better with more money :D
I think with the good environment, Hamburg can blossom to be part of the Bundesliga top 4. Leverkusen have had consistent success with less money than them thanks to the tight control of Völler and the management board over the first team, which is proof that there is room for improvement within HSV. If they can tackle their inner problems efficiently, we could finally see the club in the CL. That's what I hope.

By the way, can you get access to the Bundesliga report ? It seems corrputed when I try to open it (pdf file linked in the bottom):

http://www.bundesliga.com/en/medien/report/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom