• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT20| What's that smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xintin

hmmm. just saw the thread about a man who died fucking a hornet's nest. On a related note, I hate witty first-reply gaf.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Pellegrini is a crap CL manager. He's more of a league guy.
What? He took Villarreal to the semi-final, and Malaga to the quarter final this year - becoming the first coach ever to take two clubs past quarter finals in the debut seasons.

Mancini on the other hand has literally the worst CL record possible lol.

Suen

Does United going to the final (also easy route, etc. etc.) and then getting fucked in the ass by Barcelona (not even the first time, either) really count as having a "chance"?

No.

No it does not.

okay so i forgot about that final but still...
Utd-GAF are just in denial, they have as little chance winning CL as any other PL team currently. Though with their talent I'd say they can make it further than us. They just like to make themselves feel special, the SAF retirement has made them go mental.

Lightning

Banned
This was sort of expected. Arsenal are fresh as fuck while this is Wigan's 4th game in 10 days. Too much for a team like Wigan, they aren't Chelsea.

Meier

Yeah, a guy who took Villareal to the semis in their first ever trip to the UCL and would have done the same without a refereeing error for Malaga (still the only manager to bring two debut teams to the quarters) is a crap CL manager. One average season in the UCL with Madrid (got out of the group stages, lost to eventual semifinalist) doesn't make you crap.

I think Arsenal will try to spend if they get the CL place this year.

But yeah I think they're a long way from being in with a chance of winning the league never mind winning the CL.

Clegg

I was looking at that thread about what you should avoid majoring in and I was a bit surprised at the amount of condescension from gaf members. It's like they think you shouldn't go to college at all if you're not going to do science or engineering.

That saddens me a bit.

Feorax

But yeah I think they're a long way from being in with a chance of winning the league never mind winning the CL.

Did you not see the team we won with in 2005? Or the one that won for Chelsea last year?

Buy a decent striker, be willing to sacrifice league position, have a bit of luck. That gets Arsenal silverware.

jtb

Banned
Yeah, a guy who took Villareal to the semis in their first ever trip to the UCL and would have done the same without a refereeing error for Malaga (still the only manager to bring two debut teams to the quarters) is a crap CL manager. One average season in the UCL with Madrid (got out of the group stages, lost to eventual semifinalist) doesn't make you crap.

While I agree, you're being too kind on Lyon. They only made it to the semis because they faced a French team in the quarters. Madrid should've gone through, but then Pellegrini was a dead man walking that season anyways so it didn't really matter what he did.

subtles

Pellegrini is the only manager to take two teams (Villareal, Malaga ) playing for the first time in the champions league to the quarter-final stage. I feel it is because of his time at Madrid that people underestimate his abilities as a manager. To give you an idea of what was wrong at Madrid, Mourinho came and tore that team apart replacing many players. People will be surprised when he gets his team rolling. Believe(FC).

Edit: Beaten.

Bye bye Wigan

Atleast you went out with a bang and bit of dignity, unlike some (QPR). Would have preferred Stoke in their place.

Though that Europa League spot seems like a bit of a waste and good luck to them juggling europe and trying to get promoted back.

I was looking at that thread about what you should avoid majoring in and I was a bit surprised at the amount of condescension from gaf members. It's like they think you shouldn't go to college at all if you're not going to do science or engineering.

That saddens me a bit.
Reminds me of what Asian families are like. Hate that shit.

Arsenal fans not going to stay behind to applaud their team?

Fergie

Banned
Bye bye Wigan

Atleast you went out with a bang and bit of dignity, unlike some (QPR). Would have preferred Stoke in their place.

Though that Europa League spot seems like a bit of a waste and good luck to them juggling europe and trying to get promoted back.
If they keep their team intact(lol) it's possible. Even though championship is fucking tight, enough quality in Wigan team.

That saddens me a bit.
GAF mentality, don't listen to most of those morons.

In football news, I love you Santi.

Meier

I was just reminded that Wigan will be going to the Europa League next season. Being that this is the first time an FA Cup champion has been relegated, I wonder how many times (if ever) this has happened in other countries.

Plasma

Banned
Wait Spurs play an hour after us on Sunday? I thought all the final games of the season were supposed to be played at the same time.

EDIT: Nevermind Sky arsed up the times.

Sage00

Once And Future Member

That saddens me a bit.
I think it's more a criticism of the system in places like America where you pay about 40,000-50,000 (or more). If you don't get a decent paying job out of that then it's just not worth it, you're basically shackling yourself with debt for life.

Ideally everywhere it would be free and you could learn to better yourself. :)

Arnie

Forget the Champions League, any trophy is a long way off.

That saddens me a bit.
Absolute mind bending madness.

I've had the best three years of my life and I've got a job, I didn't do an engineering degree. I can't describe it exactly but I frequently get the sense that some people on here have mental/social difficulties. It's a very binary way of thinking that's extremely closed off from reality. It's hard to formulate what I mean, and I wouldn't want to offend anyone, so I won't get embroiled with it in the thread.

ok I need a Wenger avatar

that won't get me banned

rvHQq9V.jpg

I hope our fans give a good reception at the end of the QPR massacre. Its guaranteed anyway with Carra's retirement, but things look on the up, even though the season hasn't exactly gone as planned

Fergie

Banned
Forget the Champions League, any trophy is a long way off.

Absolute mind bending madness.

I've had the best three years of my life and I've got a job, I didn't do an engineering degree. I can't describe it exactly but I frequently get the sense that some people on here have mental/social difficulties. It's a very binary way of thinking that's extremely closed off from reality. It's hard to formulate what I mean, and I wouldn't want to offend anyone, so I won't get embroiled with it in the thread.
I get what you're saying and I'll end it there.

rodvik

Yeah, I'm optimistic we'll pull it off against Newcastle, at least I hope so. Sad for Wigan though but it had to be done.

They are like an old family pet, perhaps a rabbit. This weekend they had some of the most beautiful lettuce ever to grace a lupus. but today, it was a kindness to put the old suffering pet down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom