• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT20| What's that smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Well my student debt is about £30k and I've just managed to get a job which means, thankfully I can comfortably start to repay that. I study humanities.

I mean University in England will cost loads now. Most people will go into £50k worth of debt, it's nuts.

So I appreciate people may not want to study certain fields. But there are still a lot more fields than engineering and science which lead to careers where you can earn a good living.

Sadly the academic system is so linear these days that people essentially look at degrees as a means to an end which isn't how it should be - but there you go.

Was your economics degree or whatever it was not a BSc then?

dc89

From reading the tweets and goal.com's running commentary, he has had about 5-6 utterly brilliant saves.

Yup. Played like a monster. I can see a PL team picking him up, former England U21 keeper too.

---

Right, that's second place sewn up.

Last game of the season, I say Kidd starts The Engineers work and goes 4-3-3 and plays some of the kids too.

Hart

Wabara Kompany Nastasic Clichy

Milner Yaya Razak

Silva Aguero Suarez

Bring Lopes on for Aguero at 80 minutes. BOOM.

Wes

venison crêpe
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES

WE ARE STAYING UP I SAID WE ARE STAYING UP

tumblr_m9qqv40vWb1r1x67e.gif

I couldn't watch after 40 minutes because I saw Wigan growing in to the game. Just saw the score on BBC. WOOOO!!!

kharma45

Popped back in and there's someone advising people to commute from home rather than going to live in a dorm.

I can't put into words how important moving out was to me becoming an adult, and as a result having the confidence to go and get an actual job. If GAF had its way everyone would be engineering students living with their parents.

I couldn't imagine living at home full time and going to uni. Wouldn't feel the same. Certain irony in that considering everyone at NI unis goes home at the weekend but still, independent living for 5 days a week.

Halls/dorms whatever is a great yay to meet all kinds of people, it's a waste IMO if you pass it up (unless you can't afford it then that's understandable).

Bumhead

Banned
I know exactly what you mean. As someone else here said, an awful lot of people on here have a very closed mind when it comes to degrees.

A possible counter to this is that there is also a huge amount of pressure among young people to go to University and study, and it often leads to people studying degree's which - for want of a better phrase and not to offend anybody - are a fucking joke, a fucking waste of time and not worth the paper they're written on.

When I was in college it was all about stepping up to University. And almost everybody I knew did. And I felt like an idiot, or a failure, for not doing.

It's not affected me. I have a decent job - a better one than some of my aforementioned peers who did go - and still spent 3 years living in a student digs with my mates getting shitfaced 5 nights a week like any other student.

I think there's probably a lot of bad advice and a lot of misinformation on both sides of that coin, really.

kharma45

Got the pc I posted about earlier in the thread, thanks for the advice to those who gave it
3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif

It's an absolute steal of a machine. Plus you can upgrade that CPU to Ivy Bridge-E when it launches if you want too. Might also be a good idea to sell the 690 and swap to a 780 when it launches.

Meier

Whoa, Santi got all 4 assists?! I thought he'd only managed 2 from the ESPN commentary I was reading. Thought I saw something about Theo heading one on specifically but I'll take it.

elseanio

It's an absolute steal of a machine. Plus you can upgrade that CPU to Ivy Bridge-E when it launches if you want too. Might also be a good idea to sell the 690 and swap to a 780 when it launches.

The guy is letting me pay over 3 months, really couldn't turn it down.

kharma45

A possible counter to this is that there is also a huge amount of pressure among young people to go to University and study, and it often leads to people studying degree's which - for want of a better phrase and not to offend anybody - are a fucking joke, a fucking waste of time and not worth the paper they're written on.

When I was in college it was all about stepping up to University. And almost everybody I knew did. And I felt like an idiot, or a failure, for not doing.

It's not affected me. I have a decent job - a better one than some of my aforementioned peers who did go - and still spent 3 years living in a student digs with my mates getting shitfaced 5 nights a week like any other student.

I think there's probably a lot of bad advice and a lot of misinformation on both sides of that coin, really.

Yeah there is that too. The mentality that a certain percentage should be going to university which is a terrible way to view it.

I couldn't imagine living at home full time and going to uni. Wouldn't feel the same. Certain irony in that considering everyone at NI unis goes home at the weekend but still, independent living for 5 days a week.

Halls/dorms whatever is a great yay to meet all kinds of people, it's a waste IMO if you pass it up (unless you can't afford it then that's understandable).

Moving out for Uni was the best move I ever made. Probably the best experience you can have in your late teens imo.

Fergie

Banned
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES

tumblr_m9qqv40vWb1r1x67e.gif

I couldn't watch after 40 minutes because I saw Wigan growing in to the game. Just saw the score on BBC. WOOOO!!!

Happy for you bro, Benteke to merk next season.

Whoa, Santi got all 4 assists?! I thought he'd only managed 2 from the ESPN commentary I was reading. Thought I saw something about Theo heading one on specifically but I'll take it.
Should have been in TOTS. But he's been a bit invisible sometimes.

confuziz

Banned
Okay this is it. Forget my spelling mistakes etc, I have had some beers already lol.

From the van der gijp Book:
'Managers and how much they overrate their influence (on the game), it's still his [v.d. Gijp] favorite thing to talk about. We (football lovers) should really stop making managers so important, it's nonsense. It wasn't Hans Kraay (former coach) that made PSV champion (talking about the 80's and 90's), it was Gullit, Nielsen, Arnesen, Van Breukelen and all the others. It's still this way. It's not about Guardiola, it's about Messi, Xavi and Iniesta. I'm not saying you can just put a clown on the bench of Real Madrid, but it's close, really. I've witnessed it myself. One time I played with PSV against Utrecht. My best friend Maarten Spanjer (who is not a football player) snuck into the dressing room that day (when the coach wasn't there). Maarten imitated Rinus Michels, like talking about keeping pressure and that football is war. We were laughing our asses off. We played the best game of the season. I swear, people talk way too much about managers and their importance.'

'Nowadays you only see managers and their little assistents writing in their notebooks. It boggles my mind. What on earth are they writing about? Can't they just focus on the game? In the early days a football club ordered 85 footballs, now they order 85 flip-overs. Even Arsene Wenger does this. Standing in the rain with his long coat on. What the hell is going on? Why doesn't that man just sit down on the bench? I'm afraid he's going to drown one day. You know what this is all about? Imagebuilding. Showing the outside world how much you care. Nothing more, nothing less.'

- So what is your point?
All the managers out there are forgetting luck is a big factor in football. A cross that goes in because of the wind, uneven grass...you name it. They should write 'GOOD LUCK' on the certificates of managers when they pass their exam. Come on, football is no rocket science. You are dealing with multiple crucial factors of which you have NO influence on. But that's what I love about football. If you think about it this way, you can't stop talking about it.
Perhaps it's because people these days are controlfreaks. They think they can control the game. Too bad..it makes you unhappy. There are hundreds of things you encounter in life that are uncontrollable'

Suen

Pff, 67 percent possession bro, don't hate on Russialona. Holy fuck though, dem Swedes were all a foot taller than my boys. Corners scared the fuck out of me. Good thing your boys had no technical ability and resorted to clanking all day. Would have been a shame if they got through to the final.
Wait so Barca won CL!? REMUNTADAAAAAAAAA!!!

Bunch of our players tend to be tall but they can't utilize it to their advantage, same in the national football team, lack of technical skills. Btw are they slow in countering? Problem Sweden had with the preceding manager was the long passes, bad crosses or high balls all the fucking time. Couldn't keep the damn ball for 5 seconds on the grass before you'd find it in the air, hoping that someone at the front would have an amazing first touch and score. Fortunately this has changed quite a bit with our new manager so things look more promising but the problem is that everyone in the team are like snails when we counter. Whenever we get a chance to counter you only find Ibra up there and no one else and so we lose possession of the ball :lol. Whole fucking team is slow at realizing what's going on around them. Was this U team the same?

jtb

Banned
Arteta injury is a non-issue because Newcastle will roll over for us. I just hope this doesn't tempt Wenger into playing Wilshere.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Arteta pulled his calf and is a big doubt for the Newcastle game. That is a big blow for us.

there-s-a-chance-dumb-and-dumb_o_GI.gif

Arteta injury is a non-issue because Newcastle will roll over for us. I just hope this doesn't tempt Wenger into playing Wilshere.

What's the other option, Coquelin? Surely Wenger will play Wilshere, he can always take him off once Arsenal are 4-0 up.

kharma45

Nope it was a BA.

Good luck for your assessment centre! Is this your first one?

Learn something new everyday, presumed they were all BSc.

Yeah it is, but I've a fair idea of what's coming so I'm able to prepare a bit. Got chatting to a rather hot girl on the train one day who is one step ahead of me in the process and she gave me a few pointers. Plus my Dad is friends with a few PWC partners so I've been chatting to them, and I've a cousin who used to work for KPMG so he was able to give me rough pointers too.

Bumhead

Banned
Yeah there is that too. The mentality that a certain percentage should be going to university which is a terrible way to view it.

Yeah exactly.

I can't stand it when people say "University should be for everybody!". It absolutely should not. And not everybody should go to University. I shouldn't have and made the right decision in not doing. And I especially hate it when people give really terrible advice based on that ideal that absolutely everybody should be aiming for Uni.

'Nowadays you only see managers and their little assistents writing in their notebooks. It boggles my mind. What on earth are they writing about? Can't they just focus on the game? In the early days a football club ordered 85 footballs, now they order 85 flip-overs. Even Arsene Wenger does this. Standing in the rain with his long coat on. What the hell is going on? Why doesn't that man just sit down on the bench? I'm afraid he's going to drown one day. You know what this is all about? Imagebuilding. Showing the outside world how much you care. Nothing more, nothing less.'

That describes the match tonight remarkably well heh.

jtb

Banned
What's the other option, Coquelin? Surely Wenger will play Wilshere, he can always take him off once Arsenal are 4-0 up.

Ramsey-Rosicky-Cazorla, with Cazorla the furthest forward. that's what I'd play anyways.

Rosicky's in his usual end-of-season-worldbeater form, Ramsey was actually non terrible today, Cazorla is Cazorla.

Wait so Barca won CL!? REMUNTADAAAAAAAAA!!!

Bunch of our players tend to be tall but they can't utilize it to their advantage, same in the national football team, lack of technical skills. Btw are they slow in countering? Problem Sweden had with the preceding manager was the long passes, bad crosses or high balls all the fucking time. Couldn't keep the damn ball for 5 seconds on the grass before you'd find it in the air, hoping that someone at the front would have an amazing first touch and score. Fortunately this has changed quite a bit with our new manager so things look more promising but the problem is that everyone in the team are like snails when we counter. Whenever we get a chance to counter you only find Ibra up there and no one else and so we lose possession of the ball :lol. Whole fucking team is slow at realizing what's going on around them. Was this U team the same?

Your attackers were black, so they were obviously fast /Bacon

I had no hope for the pelanty shootout since our keeper had dat Spartak DNA but we somehow got it done. Not that it really matters though. Russia's U17 team won Euros in 2006 and none of those players amounted to anything at all.

Oh well, both our teams qualified for the FIFA U17 World Cup this year so your boys might get a chance at revengetada.

DBT85

I agree. The message was supposed to be "anyone who wants to go to Uni should be able to go to Uni, money should not be a limiting factor", it ended up being "everyone should go to uni otherwise noe jerbs for you".

We get people coming for interviews all the time that are fresh out of uni and know dick all about the industry they are trying to get into and apparently studied. On top of it too many also seem to think that Uni = Insta job on £35k. That couldn't be further from the truth for most of them.

I never went to Uni for the simple reason that I had no idea what I wanted to do, didn't particularly gel with the party culture (I never have), and didn't see the point of going off for a few years to do something I wasn't sure about and to be saddled with some debt as a bonus.

I still have no idea what I want to do, but I have a decent job and a house and a wife, so I'm happy.

dc89

So guys, when does The Engineer arrive?

I'm actually pretty excited about seeing us play with genuine width! Isco!!!!!

Learn something new everyday, presumed they were all BSc.

Yeah it is, but I've a fair idea of what's coming so I'm able to prepare a bit. Got chatting to a rather hot girl on the train one day who is one step ahead of me in the process and she gave me a few pointers. Plus my Dad is friends with a few PWC partners so I've been chatting to them, and I've a cousin who used to work for KPMG so he was able to give me rough pointers too.
At my Uni the majority of Economics courses were BA. There were BSc options too but those were strictly mathematical.

My course was basically a blend of Economics and Politics (as majors) and Phil, Sociology/Anthropology and History as minors. There were probably 15ish different BA combinations!

I'm assuming the AC is competency based? As long as you prepare well in terms of "learning" the system you should do well. I had a few and quickly realised that although a key part of it is obv being bright, you can do very well just by doing things they are specifically looking out for.

Argh, good luck. You've got exams too. It's such a headache doing all that crap together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom