• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT20| What's that smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
You have to give credit to Arsenal. They lost the derby but they have ground out so many wins since then. Both Spurs and Arsenal are going to finish with more points than last season, both teams have been in great form second half of the season. For Spurs, those first 3 games where we got 2 points are going to cost us.

Levy has got to get the squad assembled early in the summer so we can come flying out of the traps and not have to wait until a month into the season before we have a balanced team.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
ok I need a Wenger avatar

that won't get me banned
cxdWTSQs.jpg

Arnie

I get what you're saying and I'll end it there.

Aye, it's not meant in any way as a joke, and I can't properly describe what I'm thinking, but I see it so frequently in threads about diet, employment, gaming etc.

Can't do the thought justice and it's a pretty sensitive subject.

Feorax

I hope our fans give a good reception at the end of the QPR massacre. Its guaranteed anyway with Carra's retirement, but things look on the up, even though the season hasn't exactly gone as planned

Bit ironic that we celebrate and pay respects to great servant to our club on the same day those bunch of mercenary cunts play their last game in the PL against us.

You have to give credit to Arsenal. They lost the derby but they have ground out so many wins since then. Both Spurs and Arsenal are going to finish with more points than last season, both teams have been in great form second half of the season. For Spurs, those first 3 games where we got 2 points are going to cost us.

Levy has got to get the squad assembled early in the summer so we can come flying out of the traps and not have to wait until a month into the season before we have a balanced team.

Where does Adebayor stand going into next season? Second/third choice lone-striker?

jtb

Banned
GAF's mentality is STEM or bust. Which is a bit ridiculous, but... understandable given how fucking expensive school is. People are just way too abrasive about it—I don't think it's a surprise that people on a video-game message board would lean towards STEM at all, but they sure as fuck enjoy flaunting the shit out of themselves.

Anyways, I don't really think asking GAF for advice on what to major in before even your first day of university is that good of an idea to begin with, but meh.

Arnie

Same.

Our diabolical start and thin squad cost us hugely during the first few months. If we take our post-January form into next season we can make the 10 point jump. We lost it so early on and the squad never really had it in them to get it back.

:'(. Gazprom match fixing and you know it.

Pff, 67 percent possession bro, don't hate on Russialona. Holy fuck though, dem Swedes were all a foot taller than my boys. Corners scared the fuck out of me. Good thing your boys had no technical ability and resorted to clanking all day. Would have been a shame if they got through to the final.

jtb

Banned
Same.

Our diabolical start and thin squad cost us hugely during the first few months. If we take our post-January form into next season we can make the 10 point jump. We lost it so early on and the squad never really had it in them to get it back.

Do you think Liverpool will spend heavily in the summer?

BAhahahahahahahaha.

I'll see fucking pigs fly before that happens.

Clegg

Forget the Champions League, any trophy is a long way off.

Absolute mind bending madness.

I've had the best three years of my life and I've got a job, I didn't do an engineering degree. I can't describe it exactly but I frequently get the sense that some people on here have mental/social difficulties. It's a very binary way of thinking that's extremely closed off from reality. It's hard to formulate what I mean, and I wouldn't want to offend anyone, so I won't get embroiled with it in the thread.

I think it's more a criticism of the system in places like America where you pay about 40,000-50,000 (or more). If you don't get a decent paying job out of that then it's just not worth it, you're basically shackling yourself with debt for life.

Ideally everywhere it would be free and you could learn to better yourself. :)

GAF mentality, don't listen to most of those morons.

In football news, I love you Santi.

Reminds me of what Asian families are like. Hate that shit.

Arsenal fans not going to stay behind to applaud their team?
Maybe it's just because I'm not familiar with the American system. In Ireland your degree is "free". You have to pay about €7k over the three years in registration fees but that's all the government and universities will charge you. Books are a seperate matter of course. Even if you went to do a second degree it would cost more but would still be relatively cheap when compared to other countries.

I just think that you should study what you're really interested in and not something that you think you could get a well paying job out of. That could lead to years of boredom and frustration in university and then you're left in a job you hate.

But like I said, I don't know enough about the American mentality when it come to higher education. Actually, is this even a pervasive attitude amongst Americans or is it just certain gaf posters?

Aye, it's not meant in any way as a joke, and I can't properly describe what I'm thinking, but I see it so frequently in threads about diet, employment, gaming etc.

Can't do the thought justice and it's a pretty sensitive subject.

I think its just the dichotomy of a capitalist society. Money or happiness. Some people think if it doesn't make you rich, its not worth doing, and the money will make you happy. Others believe that enjoying your career and education is more than worth a sacrifice in earnings.

Personally, my thoughts are somewhere in between, leaning towards the enjoyable career

Arnie

I think we'll buy three or four players, but I can't be sure how many we'll sell. We've certainly got around £25 million to spend, but I don't know how inline with other clubs that'll be, given the financial package that premier league clubs will receive next season.

We're compelled to buy at least two central defenders, and Rodgers said he wanted a top class number 10 in the summer, to which I don't think he meant Coutinho (despite the numbering). I think he was referring to someone like Eriksen. Still gutted we missed out on Gylfi, he's had a poor season floundering on Spurs' bench.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
I've had the best three years of my life and I've got a job, I didn't do an engineering degree. I can't describe it exactly but I frequently get the sense that some people on here have mental/social difficulties. It's a very binary way of thinking that's extremely closed off from reality. It's hard to formulate what I mean, and I wouldn't want to offend anyone, so I won't get embroiled with it in the thread.
I didn't see this until Clegg quoted it but I want to back you up on it even if we'll both get hit for it. :p The lack of any form of empathy in particular in a lot of threads is ridiculous. It's almost as if they don't realise they are discussing real human beings.

Meier

Maybe it's just because I'm not familiar with the American system. In Ireland your degree is "free". You have to pay about €7k over the three years in registration fees but that's all the government and universities will charge you.

Fuck me, that is nothing. Most state colleges cost about $10k a year for tuition alone.

I have an English degree.. it's definitely considered quite limiting unless you decide to go into teaching. It by itself won't get you very far in the workforce sadly. In retrospect, I should have done stuff in STEM but I just hated math once I got to the calculus level so I kinda just gave up on that track.

What a save by the Reading keeper. Denies Tevez a great goal.

From reading the tweets and goal.com's running commentary, he has had about 5-6 utterly brilliant saves.

kharma45

Forget the Champions League, any trophy is a long way off.

Absolute mind bending madness.

I know exactly what you mean. As someone else here said, an awful lot of people on here have a very closed mind when it comes to degrees. It's the skills it gives you not what it is exactly, but I guess the difference between our system and theirs could be part of the differing viewpoints.

jtb

Banned
Maybe it's just because I'm not familiar with the American system. In Ireland your degree is "free". You have to pay about €7k over the three years in registration fees but that's all the government and universities will charge you. Books are a seperate matter of course. Even if you went to do a second degree it would cost more but would still be relatively cheap when compared to other countries.

I just think that you should study what you're really interested in and not something that you think you could get a well paying job out of. That could lead to years of boredom and frustration in university and then you're left in a job you hate.

But like I said, I don't know enough about the American mentality when it come to higher education. Actually, is this even a pervasive attitude amongst Americans or is it just certain gaf posters?

Private four year university is like $50k/year on average, and that's not even for a top Ivy-League-type school. Hell, the Ivies are actually cheaper because they have massive endowments and have pretty substantial financial aid packages.

Even public universities (funded by the states, not the federal government) can be $20k-30k/year, if you're getting the in-state subsidized rate. Both can be ~10k less if you don't spend money on room/board/booze/etc. but it's still pretty expensive.

higher education is pricey as fuck in the US, though I'd say the STEM obsession is much more common on the internet/GAF especially (video game board = more likely to be interested in Math/sciences anyways — I suspect there's some correlation there) than in practice. I know lots of people that are studying the liberal arts.

Clegg

In more uplifting news (for me anyway) I'm pretty sure I have a job for the summer.

I've been working in the same place for the last five summers now and applied for a job this summer too. I was told that there was a good chance of not getting employment as they were in the process of changing management and there might be some restructuring.

But I got a call today from the HR department and they asked if I was available over the summer. I said yes and they said they'd get back to me within a weeks time.

So I'm pretty happy right now.

I think we'll buy three or four players, but I can't be sure how many we'll sell. We've certainly got around £25 million to spend, but I don't know how inline with other clubs that'll be, given the financial package that premier league clubs will receive next season.

We're compelled to buy at least two central defenders, and Rodgers said he wanted a top class number 10 in the summer, to which I don't think he meant Coutinho (despite the numbering). I think he was referring to someone like Eriksen. Still gutted we missed out on Gylfi, he's had a poor season floundering on Spurs' bench.

With the way SuperCout has started, I'll be surprised if Rodgers doesn't simply adapt the plan to give Coutinho the role he envisioned for Eriksen, and instead spend on someone who'd take the position that was planned for Coutinho at the start. Obviously Eriksen is a bigger, more proven name, and has done it for a lot longer than The Cout Machine, but it'd be a shame to double up in that position at the cost of his development, and funds available elsewhere.

subtles

The rumor is that the board will provide 20 million to spend. Carroll, Coates, Skrtel, Assaidi, Downing, Pacheco (etc) are expected to be sold as well. I guess it will be a renovation of the squad rather then buying big money talents.

Well my student debt is about £30k and I've just managed to get a job which means, thankfully I can comfortably start to repay that. I study humanities.

I mean University in England will cost loads now. Most people will go into £50k worth of debt, it's nuts.

So I appreciate people may not want to study certain fields. But there are still a lot more fields than engineering and science which lead to careers where you can earn a good living.

Sadly the academic system is so linear these days that people essentially look at degrees as a means to an end which isn't how it should be - but there you go.

Linius

Lol, we made it to the final in the ESF for the first time in God knows how long. I thing the last we did that was back when Arsenal wasn't some midtable club.

kharma45

In more uplifting news (for me anyway) I'm pretty sure I have a job for the summer.

I've been working in the same place for the last five summers now and applied for a job this summer too. I was told that there was a good chance of not getting a job they were in the process of changing management and there might be some restructuring.

But I got a call today from the HR department and they asked if I was available over the summer. I said yes and they said they'd get back to me within a weeks time.

So I'm pretty happy right now.

Happy days!

I'm hoping things will turn out good for me too. PWC emailed me the other day inviting me to their assessment centre for their graduate scheme so no phone interview for me whIch I was pleased about. I know the basic format of what's happening so hopefully it'll go well.

Living in Australia means we only pay for University if you get a job and earn over a specific amount per year. If you do a Medical Degree and work as a cashier at McDonald's making 30k per year then you will never repay it.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Wigan were well in this game for an hour, Chesney even made a great save at the start of the second half. Sadly they did what Norwich did at the Emirates and let one goal completely destroy their concentration at the back.

I expect we will finish 5th now (with 72 points!) but perhaps the Newcastle players making their farewell appearances (Cabaye, Collocini, Ben Arfa, etc) will be up for the game. I can't really see it because these teams with nothing to play for always roll over, but you never know.

Arnie

I didn't see this until Clegg quoted it but I want to back you up on it even if we'll both get hit for it. :p The lack of any form of empathy in particular in a lot of threads is ridiculous. It's almost as if they don't realise they are discussing real human beings.
That's the one.
I know exactly what you mean. As someone else here said, an awful lot of people on here have a very closed mind when it comes to degrees. It's the skills it gives you not what it is exactly, but I guess the difference between our system and theirs could be part of the differing viewpoints.
Popped back in and there's someone advising people to commute from home rather than going to live in a dorm.

I can't put into words how important moving out was to me becoming an adult, and as a result having the confidence to go and get an actual job. If GAF had its way everyone would be engineering students living with their parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom