• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT20| What's that smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc89

I'd watch that all night

Yeah it's a brilliant goal!

Already wants to sell Aguero?

You can survive this dc. Keep the faith. Pele-grinny will solve all problems.

He better not sell Aguero. :(

I wish I hadn't seen any of GoT.

I would be enjoying the books twice as much.

Spoilers.

If I hadn't read the books I'd be enjoying the show tenfold.

I don't wish I'd missed them, though. I prefer them to the show in every way.

Spoilers.

I watched the first season of GoT without having read the books and enjoyed it immensely.

I then watched the second season having read the books and thought it was pretty terrible. Season three is shaping up nicely though.

Spoilers.

The books are usually much better then films/tv shows. LotR books were much better then the films

Spoilers.

LOTR books were dull as. Films were brilliant. Don't really rate Tolkien as a writer, to be honest.

With Game of Thrones it's kind of the other way around, for me. GRRM is brilliant.

Spoilers.

I just started ASOS, it's fucking great and I'm only 10% in

I've heard AFFC and ADWD are a bit of a drag though :(

Spoilers.

He should have cut out the fat and left it as one book for the last two. They're still great. They just drag on with certain characters.

Spoilers.

AFFC is dry but enjoyable, ADWD is fucking brilliant.

ASOS is godly.

Aye, I just get sucked in, and completely transported.

Reading LOTR I'm fighting with the writing.

Spoilers.

I don't take issue with the statement that LOTR is boring, but comparing it with A Tale of Ice and Fire is wrong. LOTR is literature. ATOIAF is pulpy "shocked you!" fiction. It's like Harry Potter but with fucking and castrating.

Spoilers.

Well I guess I love pulpy 'shock you' fiction and despise literature.

Makes no difference how you classify them, just that I find one set of books more enjoyable than the other.

And let's not ridicule one plot and leave the other one untouched. The notion of Gandalf falling down a chasm to be reborn as some white wizard is pretty much the definition of 'shock you' fiction. Either that or some fuck off eagles that turn up at opportune moments but never actually influence the plot like they really should.

FUCKING SPOILERS!

Tbh I sometimes wish George Martin was a slightly better writer. The stories he creates are fascinating but they're let down by some pretty average prose.

Spoilers.

I wish GRRM would stop writing about sex.

Spoilers.

Linius

Oh my God, I love you FIFA. I start a new manager mode at Leicester City for a change. Halfway my first season Ajax approaches me to become their new manager :lol

Feorax

When do England go on tour? Apparently Carroll wants to sign for West Ham permanently before then.

BigSam Plz

So our new centre halves could be Papdopolous with the Carroll money, and the Douglas on a free. Not bad, I could live with that.

dc89

Rio has retired from international football. JT making a come back confirmed.

And Tancredi has tweeted that Abidal will leave Barca, his contract is not being renewed.

bjaelke

Deserved victory for the united kids last night. They seemed to want it the most and that's often enough (see Wigan last Saturday).

Mastadon

Banned
To take in to account the Reina - Tello swap:

..........................Tello

Johnson/Kelly....The Douglas.....Agger.....Enrique

.....................Lucas
...................................Henderson/Gerrard

.............................Erikson

Sturridge.....................................Coutinho
...........................Suarez

This is fun. I feel like a Man Utd fan!

deGod

..........................Reina

Erikson not signing for Dortmund?

bjaelke

Erikson not signing for Dortmund?

They're getting Sven.
..........................Reina

We're apparently interested in swapping Reina for Tello :lol

FootballFan

Well I guess I love pulpy 'shock you' fiction and despise literature.

Makes no difference how you classify them, just that I find one set of books more enjoyable than the other.

And let's not ridicule one plot and leave the other one untouched. The notion of Gandalf falling down a chasm to be reborn as some white wizard is pretty much the definition of 'shock you' fiction. Either that or some fuck off eagles that turn up at opportune moments but never actually influence the plot like they really should.

:(

Spoiler tags pls. I still haven't read/seen Lord of the Rings.

Kenka

Götze moves to Unterhaching !

Nationalspieler Mario Götze kann ab Sommer in München eine Wohngemeinschaft mit seinem Bruder bilden. Nach dem 20 Jahre alten Mittelfeld-Star von Borussia Dortmund, der zu Bayern München wechseln wird, kommt auch dessen Bruder Fabian in die bayerische Landeshauptstadt.
Bros will play a few kilometers from one another :-D

Your pic, GAF:

tumblr_mf2o3n8cTr1r9lnsgo1_500.png

GorillaJu

They're getting Sven.

We're apparently interested in swapping Reina for Tello :lol

Sounds like just conjecture to me. Reporters putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 as usual. Don't think we'd swap our No. 1 goalkeeper for Tello, regardless of our interest we've shown for him in the past.

FootballFan

Nope, I haven't seen LotR.

And piss off Liverpool, leave Tello alone. He has improved and remained impressive unlike Bojan, Jeffren, Dos Santos etc.

bjaelke

Sounds like just conjecture to me. Reporters putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 as usual. Don't think we'd swap our No. 1 goalkeeper for Tello, regardless of our interest we've shown for him in the past.

It's such a stupid rumour I had to mention it.

The 21-year-old has a release clause in his contract priced at around £8.5million, and, after failing to force his way into the starting line-up at Barca on a regular basis this season, will seriously consider his options in the summer.

Barcelona have indicated they are ready to spend as much as £10m to ensure they bring Reina back to a club he graced as a youngster.
It's basically a direct swap. Piss off.

GorillaJu

Nope, I haven't seen LotR.

And piss off Liverpool, leave Tello alone. He has improved and remained impressive unlike Bojan, Jeffren, Dos Santos etc.

Well if he only has an 8.5m buyout clause, it'd just be a matter of convincing the player as any club interested in him would not find that amount prohibitive in the least.

I don't see why he'd want to come to Liverpool, except that he'd get playing time. His style of play would be more likely to suit a team like Liverpool that seeks to create space behind defenders rather than between the lines.

LOTR books were dull as. Films were brilliant. Don't really rate Tolkien as a writer, to be honest.

With Game of Thrones it's kind of the other way around, for me. GRRM is brilliant.

Late to the discussion but, as I really rate both series and have read pretty much everything Tolkien (Snr & Jnr) output I would say that without doubt Tolkien is the better world builder, with greater imagination but only an adequate story teller, whilst Martin is still a very good world builder but a better story teller.

I couldn't see Martin ever being able to tackle something like the Silmarillion, but likewise Tolkien never being able to describe a battle as concise or captivating as say
the Battle of Blackwater Bay in the Davos chapter.

bjaelke

People sometimes think that some decisions take a lot of time to decide, days or even months, but this is rarely true. Sometimes your instinct tell you to do one thing, but clauses in the contract tell you to do the other. And then you are forced to say bullshit to journalists, because if they ask if it was true that I was close to signing for Madrid, I have to answer “Not at all, I’m very happy at Milan..” Fuck off.
From Andrea Pirlo's autobiography.

Cesc is in a gilded cage of his own making. Pep signed him as part of a contingency plan for more direct play, however the chance for that never seems to come about. Yaya Toure was brave enough to leave Barca to properly express himself (alongside astronomical wages), but I don't see it happening with Fabregas: The nostalgia factor of having returned home will keep him there.

I don't take issue with the statement that LOTR is boring, but comparing it with A Tale of Ice and Fire is wrong. LOTR is literature. ATOIAF is pulpy "shocked you!" fiction. It's like Harry Potter but with fucking and castrating.

Literature! Tolkien's prose was described as second-rate by the Nobel committee, and while he is often patronised by the literary establishment as the creator of an impressive fictional Anglo-Saxon folklore, his work is still very much part of the genre ghetto. Not to say I agree with their assessment of him, or the devaluation of genre more generally, but the condescension does appear to mirror yours of Martin, no?

Linius

Football atmosphere in town is really great. Though strange too since we don't play :p

Next season I must visit one of the CL games. It's been too long since I went.

GorillaJu

Cesc is in a gilded cage of his own making. Pep signed him as part of a contingency plan for more direct play, however the chance for that never seems to come about. Yaya Toure was brave enough to leave Barca to properly express himself (alongside astronomical wages), but I don't see it happening with Fabregas: The nostalgia factor of having returned home will keep him there.

Literature! Tolkien's prose was described as second-rate by the Nobel committee, and while he is often patronised by the literary establishment as the creator of an impressive fictional Anglo-Saxon folklore, his work is still very much part of the genre ghetto. Not to say I agree with their assessment of him, or the devaluation of genre more generally, but the condescension does appear to mirror yours of Martin, no?

I'm not going to claim that Tolkien is a literary great - in fact I'm not a big fan of his books at all, myself.

I've had conversations with people who think GRRM deserves to be recognized as part of the literary elite. These are the type of people who put quotes around "art" when they don't like it, and don't recognize value beyond what is entertaining.

GorillaJu

Morgan Swagderlin won Player's player and fans player of the year at Saints awards last night.

James Ward-Prowse won young player

BKQqM0GCQAExiCj.jpg

Also Pochettino speaking in English!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAieod4JpnY

Hahah, nice video. I like MauPoc

Also, Schneiderlin is class. He's the type of player who will ply his trade really well in the PL, will probably move for a lot of money eventually, but the fans of the club he goes to will be snide and 'ho-hum' because he comes from Southampton and not from a Bundesliga or Portugese team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom