• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT21| Robben learns to score in finals three years late

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegoArmo

In other news, it took me a number of tries but I finally won Division 1 of FUT. Got close the season before but missed it.. this time I was 5-0-2 and then blew one late and was bummed I'd probably miss it again. Ended up winning the final two games to finish 7-0-3 and get my 21 points necessary. Balotelli!

PS3?

confuziz

Banned
I'll post this again.

From the van der gijp Book:
'Managers and how much they overrate their influence (on the game), it's still his [v.d. Gijp] favorite thing to talk about. We (football lovers) should really stop making managers so important, it's nonsense. It wasn't Hans Kraay (former coach) that made PSV champion (talking about the 80's and 90's), it was Gullit, Nielsen, Arnesen, Van Breukelen and all the others. It's still this way. It's not about Guardiola, it's about Messi, Xavi and Iniesta. I'm not saying you can just put a clown on the bench of Real Madrid, but it's close, really. I've witnessed it myself. One time I played with PSV against Utrecht. My best friend Maarten Spanjer (who is not a football player) snuck into the dressing room that day (when the coach wasn't there). Maarten imitated Rinus Michels, like talking about keeping pressure and that football is war. We were laughing our asses off. We played the best game of the season. I swear, people talk way too much about managers and their importance.'

'Nowadays you only see managers and their little assistents writing in their notebooks. It boggles my mind. What on earth are they writing about? Can't they just focus on the game? In the early days a football club ordered 85 footballs, now they order 85 flip-overs. Even Arsene Wenger does this. Standing in the rain with his long coat on. What the hell is going on? Why doesn't that man just sit down on the bench? I'm afraid he's going to drown one day. You know what this is all about? Imagebuilding. Showing the outside world how much you care. Nothing more, nothing less.'

- So what is your point?
All the managers out there are forgetting luck is a big factor in football. A cross that goes in because of the wind, uneven grass...you name it. They should write 'GOOD LUCK' on the certificates of managers when they pass their exam. Come on, football is no rocket science. You are dealing with multiple crucial factors of which you have NO influence on. But that's what I love about football. If you think about it this way, you can't stop talking about it.
Perhaps it's because people these days are controlfreaks. They think they can control the game. Too bad..it makes you unhappy. There are hundreds of things you encounter in life that are uncontrollable.

No, look outside.

I only believe things when I can feel, taste, hear, smell or see them.

iQcci9qdFweYx.gif

You sound like a damn FOX pundit.

Randdalf

I'll post this again.

From the van der gijp Book:
'Managers and how much they overrate their influence (on the game), it's still his [v.d. Gijp] favorite thing to talk about. We (football lovers) should really stop making managers so important, it's nonsense. It wasn't Hans Kraay (former coach) that made PSV champion (talking about the 80's and 90's), it was Gullit, Nielsen, Arnesen, Van Breukelen and all the others. It's still this way. It's not about Guardiola, it's about Messi, Xavi and Iniesta. I'm not saying you can just put a clown on the bench of Real Madrid, but it's close, really. I've witnessed it myself. One time I played with PSV against Utrecht. My best friend Maarten Spanjer (who is not a football player) snuck into the dressing room that day (when the coach wasn't there). Maarten imitated Rinus Michels, like talking about keeping pressure and that football is war. We were laughing our asses off. We played the best game of the season. I swear, people talk way too much about managers and their importance.'

'Nowadays you only see managers and their little assistents writing in their notebooks. It boggles my mind. What on earth are they writing about? Can't they just focus on the game? In the early days a football club ordered 85 footballs, now they order 85 flip-overs. Even Arsene Wenger does this. Standing in the rain with his long coat on. What the hell is going on? Why doesn't that man just sit down on the bench? I'm afraid he's going to drown one day. You know what this is all about? Imagebuilding. Showing the outside world how much you care. Nothing more, nothing less.'

- So what is your point?
All the managers out there are forgetting luck is a big factor in football. A cross that goes in because of the wind, uneven grass...you name it. They should write 'GOOD LUCK' on the certificates of managers when they pass their exam. Come on, football is no rocket science. You are dealing with multiple crucial factors of which you have NO influence on. But that's what I love about football. If you think about it this way, you can't stop talking about it.
Perhaps it's because people these days are controlfreaks. They think they can control the game. Too bad..it makes you unhappy. There are hundreds of things you encounter in life that are uncontrollable.

Well I've never seen that book so I don't believe it.

Meus' rant about the gulf in class between United and Arsenal not being 16 points, and disregarding the positions and points haul in the table. One of the most bizarre arguments I've ever heard from a football fan.

While I disagreed with Arsenal and Man Utd being the example, I could sorta see where he was coming from. Obviously the points and positions are the only thing that matters ultimately, but there are many other factors involved in determining the strength of a team, and legitimate reasons for a team to fail to reach their potential which don't apply to the other team, if you know what I mean.

Salvadora

Mignolet basically giving a call for help in the Daily Mail:
"‘I am ambitious, and I read the press as you do
"It has been a difficult season with Sunderland. It’s not much fun to play bottom of the League, and I think Sunderland will know they have to change something to prevent another season like that."
He says the neither Arsenal or Liverpool have been in contact.

Come on Arsene.

Meier

Sky posted a rumor we may go for David Pizarro this summer. He was completely anonymous for City with the exception of letting Arteta take the ball off him before he scored the late winner that seemed to end our title hopes back in April 2012. No thanks.

What's the most illogical argument you guys have ever heard in football debates?

For me its 'Xavi deserved to win the Balon d'Or because he's never won it before'

Liverpool will win the CL & PL within the next 5 years.

RVP is not worth 23m

RVP won't score more than 25 goals next year

RVP is too old to be going to a big club

RVP is a phony who hugged Fergie just to get more fans

Liverpool have a better squad than Man Utd but only because of Fergie have we won it

Next year Manchester will be under Liverpool because of Moyes

This is all coming out of my brother, he's dead serious too. We have a bet going about the 25 goals.

Liverpool will win the CL & PL within the next 5 years.

RVP is not worth 23m

RVP won't score more than 25 goals next year

RVP is too old to be going to a big club

RVP is a phony who hugged Fergie just to get more fans

Liverpool have a better squad than Man Utd but only because of Fergie have we won it

Next year Manchester will be under Liverpool because of Moyes

This is all coming out of my brother, he's dead serious too. We have a bet going about the 25 goals.

Facht.

Coutinho+Moyes=Liverpool superiority

Thanks for your concern, but it's an agricultural school, so they have the same way of thinking.

Why not just educate yourself before you say such ignorant things? It's a shit way of thinking equivalent to "why we still have monkeys" or "Tide, you can't explain that."

He wasn't playing particularly well for our reserves that season. Some feel he wasn't giving it his all because he thought he was too good for the reserves despite only just moving up to that level.

Then he asked for a shed load of money even though he'd barely played any senior football at all.

The reserves thing is a myth. Sure, he was cruising through the games in second gear, but he still displayed the most quality on the pitch. And wasn't it reported that United offered the same amount of money as Juve? Pogba was impatient to play, he even says it himself. He knew he was good enough for first team football, Conte told him he was good enough, and regardless of what he said, Ferguson played Rafael and Park ahead of him in central midfield. So he went. It's difficult to blame him.

Clegg

Apparently Muller has already rejected United. I suppose United thought it wads worth making an advance since there will be so many Bayern players fighting for a spot on their team next season.

If these reports are true then at least we know United are after quality players.

qindarka

Banned
No, don't believe everything the government says, form your own opinion about things. Do your own research, etc.

It's not just the government but experts who are saying this. And how is the layman supposed to do his/her own research and come to an informed opinion?

Apparently Muller has already rejected United. I suppose United thought it wads worth making an advance since there will be so many Bayern players fighting for a spot on their team next season.

If these reports are true then at least we know United are after quality players.

Yeah we are after the right class of player that will only make us stronger.

Get rid of fathead and bring in another quality striker, if RVP goes off the boil at least we are covered.

qindarka

Banned
People that hate oil companies? Who knows? ;)

The scientific community is near unanimous in their agreement that global warming exists. Do they all hate oil companies? If there is hostility, it's because oil companies cause global warming, not that they are hating on them for the fun of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom