• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT21| Robben learns to score in finals three years late

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think England has a solid team overall, but lacks a couple of players with dat spark. Henderson is one of them, but he didn't have the best of games today.

Hear that, Hendetractors? :p

Personally, I disagree with calling us solid based on that. Just like the senior team's perormance against Italy at the Euros, we were compact, but loose as fuck. So easy to find the gaps between our players

He wasn't much good today but then I usually find that when he sits deeper. He's no Carrick. I actually see him as more of a Lampard type actually. Better pushed forward.

That said the movement was so bad today. As in there wasn't any, apart from people running the most obvious channels imaginable.

Linius

Who of you lot are getting AC: New Leaf? I believe you need to go online to trade fruits and get stuff in to your town. Would be great to have some Footey Gaffers for that.

Looking forward to Suarez's post-match press conference. What's he going to say this time?

I love the way he speaks foreign languages :D

FootballFan

ZABOJNIK 10/10

iBlkjoMWr9ZFw.gif

:O

See Napoli save Italy u21 today? Insigne is already a legend.

Zabojnik

Personally, I disagree with calling us solid based on that. Just like the senior team's perormance against Italy at the Euros, we were compact, but loose as fuck. So easy to find the gaps between our players

Solid, compact, that's what I meant. Eh, it's U21, I never expect these teams to put up amazing defensive performances.

Is Wilshere a standard senior team member now?

LNBL

Really looking forward to Germany - The Netherlands tomorrow. Biggest question at the moment is which 2 will start next to Strootman on the midfield.

Arnie

Ox and Welbeck should have been there playing today.

Had a long argument with a housemate about that.

Absolutely ridiculous. Look at Insigne winning the game for Italy. He's a better prospect than the Ox, and he's hear with the future of his national team building a winning mentality and gaining substantial tournament experience.

Had a long argument with a housemate about that.

Absolutely ridiculous. Look at Insigne winning the game for Italy. He's a better prospect than the Ox, and he's hear with the future of his national team building a winning mentality and gaining substantial tournament experience.
It's so obvious to me I don't understand why we don't do it.

Jones, Wilshere, Ox, Welbeck, Smalling, Sturridge - at least some of those guys should be involved, I see no reason why all of them shouldn't be tbh but fair enough you might need one or two for the senior side.

I'm sure there's more players I've forgotten too.

Arnie

Jones, Wilshere, Ox, Welbeck, Smalling, Sturridge - at least some of those guys should be involved, I see no reason why all of them shouldn't be tbh but fair enough you might need one or two for the senior side.

All of them should be there.

Apart from Sturridge because he's made of glass.

Suarez scored. Can't even get excited about it anymore. :(

Scum

Surely Mirrors Edge 2 would be a timed exclusive at best. Even Mass Effect 1 came to the Ps3 eventually!

No amount of moneyhatting and exclusives would get me anywhere near EA games this time round. I'm looking forward to Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 on WiiU from Platinum and whatever worthwhile 1st & 3rd party titles Sony has to show for the PS4. You can indie titles on PC, WiiU and PS4.

MS and EA are going to be a scorn and a scurge on gaming this year and next. I can just sense.

Solid, compact, that's what I meant. Eh, it's U21, I never expect these teams to put up amazing defensive performances.

Is Wilshere a standard senior team member now?

Yeah, he's injured anyway though :(

I'm not being facetious here, but Wickham honestly has the worst movement I've ever seen in a striker. He either doesn't run, or he runs into the wrong space, or he runs into a cluster of players. He actively prevents his teammates from having an option to pass to.

jouracule saying out of the expected XI for Holland U21 tmrw 6 of them played in the last full international and only one of them doesn't have a full senior cap.

England's international set-up is just a joke.

Scum

Who of you lot are getting AC: New Leaf? I believe you need to go online to trade fruits and get stuff in to your town. Would be great to have some Footey Gaffers for that.

I love the way he speaks foreign languages :D

I want to get AC! I want a 3DS XL. Black, with Monster Hunter. Apparently there's a promo whereby you can get a code for a free copy of the game to give away...

...I might order it once I get in tonight.

jouracule saying out of the expected XI for Holland U21 tmrw 6 of them played in the last full international and only one of them doesn't have a full senior cap.

Is it the international set up? Or is it the agreements in place with the clubs? I think the clubs are driving this policy.

Scum

Would this lot even be allowed to leave, even though they should be?

Clegg

Mata and Javi Martinez were in the Spanish squad when they won the U21 Euros in 2011. Both had won the World Cup with the senior side on 2010.

England are so behind the curve.

Linius

I want to get AC! I want a 3DS XL. Black, with Monster Hunter. Apparently there's a promo whereby you can get a code for a free copy of the game to give away...

...I might order it once I get in tonight.

Good! Just leave a post in the thread if you get it. I know DC is also getting it. With a few of us here we can help each other. I think I'm gonna do some reading on this game in the coming week about what exactly there's to do with people online and how we could benefit of trading or what ever. There's so much content in this game.

Scum

Mata and Javi Martinez were in the Spanish squad when they won the U21 Euros in 2011. Both had won the World Cup with the senior side on 2010.

England are so behind the curve.

So behind that it's pathetic. You can have a manager complain about a young English player playing too much and suffering burnout and yet they have no problems playing another young foreign and talented player for oh so many matches.
The entire setup from top to bottom is shite.

Smalling, Chamberlain and Jones certainly would have, especially Smalling.

They should all have been there. They're doing nothing but gambling and playing FIFA Ultimate Team anyway.

Scum

Good! Just leave a post in the thread if you get it. I know DC is also getting it. With a few of us here we can help each other. I think I'm gonna do some reading on this game in the coming week about what exactly there's to do with people online and how we could benefit of trading or what ever. There's so much content in this game.

Will do. :D

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
This is the best Uruguay has looked in almost a year. Hopefully this helps get them out the slump they've been in with a crucial qualifying away game in Venezuela before the Confed Cup awaiting.

Bo-Locks

I don't care what are results have been, the FA have to be asking qustions about our style of play. Its not acceptable, especially at this level

Number of coaches that hold Uefa's A, B and Pro badges:

Germany: 35,000
Italy: 30,000
Spain: 24,000
England: 2,800

But who cares about that ? Lets put our elite national football centre (that should have been built decades ago) on hold and and completely ignore the lack of qualified coaches while we build the most expensive, soulless stadium on the entire planet, instead, and then lets proclaim how great - both it - and we, are.

The FA make me sick. They just don't have any coherent strategy or plan on how to develop and organise the game at youth level - playing or coaching. They're up there with the Lawn Tennis Association in terms of how far out of touch and insulated they are from the grass roots, but the FA can get away with it and shroud themselves from the same criticism as the LTA since it's not the participation rates that harm football in England - like it does with Tennis - but it's the coaching, facilities, and philosophy, or rather lack thereof, that permeates itself throughout the entire country and its young minds.

England just can't keep the ball, at any level, even against mediocre opposition. That's a fundamental problem that has just never been addressed or even queried. Blaming the manager or the players is just pointless at this stage since they're working at the limits of their capacity. It's the FA that's the problem. Bunch of twats.

I also don't see the logic in leaving out the likes of Jones, Ox, Wilshere, and Welbeck. It doesn't make any sense.

LNBL

I hope Maher and Van Ginkel will play. And I hope we'll crush the Germans.
My thoughts exactly, though i would not mind seeing Fer instead of V.Ginkel.

True, many of the Dutch players have already made their debut for the Senior squad.

Mascherano after winning the CL vs Man Utd:

"I know some Liverpool supporters were disappointed after my exit, they were a little bit sad with me, but this is for them."

He saw your reaction when he left I guess.

I forgave him after about a day. He did nothing wrong. We sold Alonso when Mascherano wanted to leave, and he told us that he'd accept staying for another season, since we'd have been fucked even more in 09/10 if we'd lost both members of dat midfield platform. A full year for us to find a replacement, and he carried on putting in 100% every match. Staying a year was a favour that he didn't have to do us.

Then come late August the next year, we're in freefall, Hodgson has already made some inexcsably shite signings and started implementing tactics from the 1920s, and the club is stalling over getting his move sorted after realising just how exceptionally terrible Poulsen was. He did what he had to do to get what had been promised for him, while he was in his prime.

I still love the crazy little fucker :D

Would like to see him move away from Barca though, he's a brilliant DM but will never oust Busquets from that position, and playing at CB does him a disservice. Napoli should sign him.

Yen

England needs a winter break.
Also, I'd introduce pre-qualifying, and so have fewer teams in each group to reduce the number of international games. I don't know if that is a good idea, but I don't care about international football, so whatevs.

But who cares about that ? Lets put our elite national football centre (that should have been built decades ago) on hold and and completely ignore the lack of qualified coaches while we build the most expensive, soulless stadium on the entire planet, instead, and then lets proclaim how great - both it - and we, are.

The FA make me sick. They just don't have any coherent strategy or plan on how to develop and organise the game at youth level - playing or coaching. They're up there with the Lawn Tennis Association in terms of how far out of touch and insulated they are from the grass roots, but the FA can get away with it and shroud themselves from the same criticism as the LTA since it's not the participation rates that harm football in England - like it does with Tennis - but it's the coaching, facilities, and philosophy, or rather lack thereof, that permeates itself throughout the entire country and its young minds.

England just can't keep the ball, at any level, even against mediocre opposition. That's a fundamental problem that has just never been addressed or even queried. Blaming the manager or the players is just pointless at this stage since they're working at the limits of their capacity. It's the FA that's the problem. Bunch of twats.

I also don't see the logic in leaving out the likes of Jones, Ox, Wilshere, and Welbeck. It doesn't make any sense.

Agreed. I imagine they asked those players if they wanted to play the friendly against Brazil or a full torunament that will develop them as players, and trusted them to make the correct, unemotional decision. Assuming that's true, its a massive balls-up. The decision should have been made for them.

Scum

Hear, hear!

I saw those coaching numbers ages ago somewhere and couldn't believe it then and I still don't believe it now. Fucking pathetic.

How England just cannot perform simple basics of football is beyond a joke. This shit should have sorted out years and years ago. Last chance gone begging was when England failed to qualify for Euro 2008. The whole damn thing should have been restructured from top to bottom.

Lightning

Banned

Wenger delayed Wilshere's op so that he couldn't be involved, this op was supposed to be done a few months ago and Wenger also kicked up a stink that Chamberlain shouldn't be involved with the senior team and U21's so made an agreement with Hodgson.

It doesn't help that Wenger just simply doesn't like Pearce at all nor does he have an ounce of trust in him.

Scum

Also, I'd introduce pre-qualifying, and so have fewer teams in each group to reduce the number of international games. I don't know if that is a good idea, but I don't care about international football, so whatevs.

Sky and the rest of 'em won't have it. Dat lucrative Festive Period!

Randdalf

A winter break is the least of England's problems, when we keep on churning out chunky players with great physical attributes that can get on the end of a long ball and throw in the occasional crunching tackle but aren't much good for anything else.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL GoT LOOOOOOOOOOOL

YES BABY!

ib2kO2VRtcGoz9.gif

YES!

Finally something fucking HORRIBLE happened.
3AQmK.gif
What took you so long something fucking horrible?

I can see many who will stop now. I feel like, I will unlikely stop, but it feels like I would.

Many characters has died in the show but Robb especially was done in a way that feels like he's the peoples' hero. The Starks in general feel so, genuinely didn't expect anyone to get the Throne but him. He felt, for the most part, like the main character in the show.

I wonder where the show will go from here, I mean this is only the third book.

Spoilers

Always felt Jon Snow was the main character

OR

j8EE8tfjSTOMe_e.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom