• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT21| Robben learns to score in finals three years late

Status
Not open for further replies.

qindarka

Banned
Duncan Castles saying Mourinho will listen to offers for Mata.

You asked for it, and you got it, Chelsea fans.

Yes, let's choose to believe in bullshit transfer rumours to support our agenda.
You are being a broken record over this, all because of your mad alleigance to one particular manager. How pathetic.

There is no chance Mata will be leaving.

Daddy's little boy's wages have to come from somewhere.

Mata isn't even close to being one of our highest earners.

Wait for this U21 ting to finish.

The 'Kagawa-type' excuses have started already.

'Wait for the U21s to finish'
'Let's see him play behind the striker'
'Wait for Moyes to get back off holiday'
'Maybe he'll be better when he's been in the legue for a few months'
'We're trying to get rid of the deadwood first'
'His teammates don't pass to him enough'

Salazar

Yes, let's choose to believe in bullshit transfer rumours to support our agenda.

Well, it is Castles and the Sunday Times.

Which doesn't confer a great deal of credibility on it, but it's not like Arnold is getting this off @712insider.

It sounds fucking mad, but Chelsea were hardly going to stop being a circus when they brought Mourinho back into the mix.

justjohn

Arsenal fans hatred of theo walcott is so baffling. This is a guy who banged in loads of goals and lots of assists this season. In fact I think he was probably arsenals best player this season, yet somehow for a club that hasn't been relevant in ages they keep shitting on their best english player.

qindarka

Banned

Which doesn't confer a great deal of credibility on it, but it's not like Arnold is getting this off @712insider.

It sounds fucking mad, but Chelsea were hardly going to stop being a circus when they brought Mourinho back into the mix.

I've brought this point up yesterday but I wish the mocking would start AFTER the bullshit transfer actually goes through. We know the majority of transfer rumours are bullshit, even those from these hacks we always quote here like the aforementioned Castles or Tancredi Palmeri.

And a circus Chelsea may be but they are not a selling club. The only player we've sold in his prime in the last decade or so has been Robben, on the back of a poor, injury blighted season.

I wouldn't be surprised if Castles just took that shit directly off Marca.

Arnie

Got that goober on ignore and every time someone quotes him it justifies my decision to do so.

It's more supporting of an agenda to completely ignore what the Sunday Times say.

Blablurn

mertesackerdancegif.gif

Arsenal fans hatred of theo walcott is so baffling. This is a guy who banged in loads of goals and lots of assists this season. In fact I think he was probably arsenals best player this season, yet somehow for a club that hasn't been relevant in ages they keep shitting on their best english player.

He gets it hard from everywhere really, the expectations of him being the next Henry surely haven't helped him.

Mac_Lane

Cesc sucks, I don't want to see him anywhere remotely close from Paris.

And I can't wait for us to sign Cristiano and taste those delicious Madrid tears.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Future captain and #10

Fernando RAWR Llorente "It's one of the best teams in Europe and the best in Italy. Juventus has impressed me ever since it expressed an interest. <3

"It's a really big club, comparable to Real Madrid and Barcelona. I'm lucky to be able to play for a team like that. It's as though I've always known it was my team."

Rey León por favor

RAWR said:
"I've always attempted to choose the best option for both Athletic and me. I tried to get the best deal but I came up against a brick wall," he concluded.

"I didn't want to go for free. Neither did I want to have the year I've had. I'll never go through that again if I can do anything to avoid it."

"again"? You ain't leavin' boy.

If I had to pick only one of our future strikers (LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL) to succeed, it's him.

Future captain and #10

Rey León por favor

"again"? You ain't leavin' boy.

If I had to pick only one of our future strikers (LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL) to succeed, it's him.

Did Bentdner and Anelka even play enough for you to give us an informed opinon of them out of interest?

:p

Honestly, Gerrard's passing is the most underrated and underutilised weapon in the England setup. He must get annoyed when he picks the ball up, and sees both wingers and Rooney running towards him to pick the ball up, when he's capable and willing to play it long and accurate before the other team has a chance to get their bearings.

I hate the percieved wisdom that he's a physically gifted, technically average relic who's no longer very good since he's lost the ability to power around the pitch for all 90 minutes.
its not because he can't pass, technically. It's because his decision making has been poor in that regard.

The skill of being a playmaker doesn't came from being able to make amazing passes alone, although it obv helps. It comes down to making them with consistency and making the right choice almost every single time.

its not because he can't pass, technically. It's because his decision making has been poor in that regard.

The skill of being a playmaker doesn't came from being able to make amazing passes alone, although it obv helps. It comes down to making them with consistency and making the right choice almost every single time.

I've heard it said on numerous occasions that he is technically average, even aside from his passing, which you're fair enough with. He'll never have the intelligence to play that role as well as a Pirlo or an Alonso (although he can still offer bursts of speed and power that those two can't)

Things like a supposedly dodgy first touch and poor finishing have been levelled at him, and those things simply aren't true which is clear to anyone who watches him more than twice a season without going into every game hoping he has a poor match.

edit: Wait, I think you were referring to the way England play with him in CM. In that case, its not valid enough imo. The odd stray long pass is not a big enough downside to completely negate his passing range by having one too many players gravitate towards him when he's on the ball imo.

Duncan Castles is so unconvinced by his own story that when other journos tweeted to say he was claiming Chelsea would listen to offers for Mata he started to back track a bit.

Castles is a Mourinho pet though.

Duncan Castles is so unconvinced by his own story that when other journos tweeted to say he was claiming Chelsea would listen to offers for Mata he started to back track a bit.

They all are. I'm done with opinion pieces on Chelsea for the foreseeable, the media are so far up Mourinho's arse.

qindarka

Banned

Does he really have such a great track record for Chelsea. I'm still waiting for the Van Ginkel deal he broke two weeks ago to materialize.

And the other stuff he wrote such as Chelsea being willing to sell Luiz for 35 million just smacks of him taking that info from elsewhere.

They all are. I'm done with opinion pieces on Chelsea for the foreseeable, the media are so far up Mourinho's arse.

You are seeing what you want to see. There are plenty of articles out there about the potential failure of his return.

I've heard it said on numerous occasions that he is technically average, even aside from his passing, which you're fair enough with. He'll never have the intelligence to play that role as well as a Pirlo or an Alonso (although he can still offer bursts of speed and power that those two can't)

Things like a supposedly dodgy first touch and poor finishing have been levelled at him, and those things simply aren't true which is clear to anyone who watches him more than twice a season without going into every game hoping he has a poor match.

edit: Wait, I think you were referring to the way England play with him in CM. In that case, its not valid enough imo. The odd stray long pass is not a big enough downside to completely negate his passing range by having one too many players gravitate towards him when he's on the ball imo.
Well yes I agree with you for the most part but I would argue he isn't amongst the most technically accomplished players, like a Pirlo. Good enough for sure and he was obv amongst the worlds best for a good while, but there have been players with a better touch.

I wasn't really focusing on England though, since England are so shit. I mean if you look at the games against Ireland and Brazil Carrick was releasing plenty of balls to our wide players and they just kept fucking up time and time again. For England Gerrard should just take lots of long shots.

Carroll's still holding out hope for Newcastle, apparently, and the papers claim he'll be willing to drop his 100k wage demands for them. Pardew 'desperately' wants him, but the Barcodes won't pay more than 10m. Nice to feel appreciated. We were the only club to come in for him on loan and we're the only club offering 15m on a permanent deal. Just sign already.

Also, any Betis fans here? We bought their 26 year old keeper Adrian to compete with Jussi this season - any opinions of him from those familiar with his work?

Does he really have such a great track record for Chelsea. I'm still waiting for the Van Ginkel deal he broke two weeks ago to materialize.

And the other stuff he wrote such as Chelsea being willing to sell Luiz for 35 million just smacks of him taking that info from elsewhere.

You are seeing what you want to see. There are plenty of articles out there about the potential failure of his return.
No idea what his track record is tbh but I know he is close to Mourinho and has been bit of a mouthpiece for him in the past. Bit like Beasley.

Splatt

Carroll's still holding out hope for Newcastle, apparently, and the papers claim he'll be willing to drop his 100k wage demands for them. Pardew 'desperately' wants him, but the Barcodes won't pay more than 10m. Nice to feel appreciated. We were the only club to come in for him on loan and we're the only club offering 15m on a permanent deal. Just sign already.

Carroll dumb as his haircut. No suprise there.

Well yes I agree with you for the most part but I would argue he isn't amongst the most technically accomplished players, like a Pirlo. Good enough for sure and he was obv amongst the worlds best for a good while, but there have been players with a better touch.

I wasn't really focusing on England though, since England are so shit. I mean if you look at the games against Ireland and Brazil Carrick was releasing plenty of balls to our wide players and they just kept fucking up time and time again. For England Gerrard should just take lots of long shots.

I'd argue that he is (or at least was), overall. In his Jack-of-all-trades style. I wouldn't have looked at one aspect and said he was the best in the world at that specific trait, but when you combined all of those traits I think he was up there.

I think a large part of it is due to technique. Obviously ithis situation occurs more reliably with the former, which is why he's better at it and part of the reason he's still world class, but still. A ball is pinged to Pirlo, he takes it with a small pirhouette, with the perfect weight to take one step and release the ball. Gerrard would do the exact same thing in terms of time and accuracy, but he's controlled the ball by moving his body around and hanging his leg in the path of the ball at an angle which slows and shifts it into a path for him to play the ball as though it were a set piece.

Both amount to the same thing, except one is eyecatching and in the eyes of many, more controlled and worthy of praise.

Plasma

Banned

Most Arsenal fans don't hate Theo, he'll just go missing in certain games that's all, his a good player though and his finishing is getting better. His main problem though is confidence, if he isn't in good form he won't try and beat a man he'll just take it down the wing and pass it back to Sagna.

He wasn't our best player of the season though, it was Cazorla by a mile.

3Sixty

Also, any Betis fans here? We bought their 26 year old keeper Adrian to compete with Jussi this season - any opinions of him from those familiar with his work?

100k a week.

Fuck me.

100k a week.

Fuck me.

Yeah, I know, it's fucking disgraceful. Our wage 'cap' is 55k for the few very top earners at the club (Noble, Nolan & Diame), but Sam's made it clear that he wants Carroll no matter what, so undoubtedly if Carroll does sign it will alter how much cash Sam has left to play with this window. I think the club are still trying to convince Carroll to stick with the 80k he's currently getting on his Liverpool deal.

qindarka

Banned
Im hearing some disturbing rumours from the times that mourinho will be ready to listen to offers for mata.

Ignore them. They are full of crap.

If Chelsea sell either Mata, Luiz, Courtois, or De Bruyne this transfer window, I will hold my hands up and admit I'm a moron. Very doubtful though.

And I might as well rant against the media some more, I doubt very much that Carroll is seriously asking for 100k a week. Wasn't he on relatively low wages at Liverpool?

Jan Aage Fjortoft &#8207;@JanAageFjortoft 37m
I understand Marco Verratti, the 20 year old PSG player is on his way to Real Madrid. Confirmed by 2 different sources here in Israel

Those Norwegians with the big scoops

Haven't seen anyone commenting on that. Fjoroft acutally has an idea what he's talking about, got the Götze story a few hours earlier. So there could be some truth in this.

Ignore them. They are full of crap.

If Chelsea sell either Mata, Courtois, or De Bruyne this transfer window, I will hold my hands up and admit I'm a moron. Very doubtful though.

And I might as well rant against the media some more, I doubt very much that Carroll is seriously asking for 100k a week. Wasn't he on relatively low wages at Liverpool?

Saved for later :D

He's English so that means at least 25% added value to his true worth. Although with this horse, its more like 90%.

I keep seeing people downplay Carroll's abilities, but let me tell you, as someone who watched his team have to rely on Carlton Cole as our lone striker for the past few years, 12m-15m for Carroll is worth it.

Name one other player who can fulfil the lone striker role, has Premier League experience, is willing to come to West Ham and won't break the bank to sign. Because I can't think of too many.

I keep seeing people downplay Carroll's abilities, but let me tell you, as someone who watched his team have to rely on Carlton Cole as our lone striker for the past few years, 12m-15m for Carroll is worth it.

Name one other player who can fulfil the lone striker role, has Premier League experience, is willing to come to West Ham and won't break the bank to sign. Because I can't think of too many.

I think the fee is decent for both ourselves and you, but his wage demands for someone who hasn't really proved anything since December 2010 are ridiculous. I understand why he's doing it, but it grates.

The oblivious spoilers have begun in TLoU OT

I think the fee is decent for both ourselves and you, but his wage demands for someone who hasn't really proved anything since December 2010 are ridiculous. I understand why he's doing it, but it grates.

This. It's a fair fee that's slightly inflated due to how much Liverpool overpaid for him, but we never would have got him from Newcastle for this much, so fair game. The wage demands, if accurate, are a real slap in the face. We've already broke our cap to pay his loan wages and now he wants more when, really, playing for us is the reason he's got a sniff at England again and it's not like there were a bunch of other clubs clamouring for his services. If he were wanted at Liverpool, it'd be a different matter, but he isn't.

And who isn't Kevin Davies, lol. Surprised we haven't been linked with him actually, the papers generally seem to love the lazy Fat Sam + former Bolton player story.

I take it Arshavin will be going back to Russia? He was always a little bit shit (with the occasional good games) but the old Q&A's he used to do featuring blatant sexism and racism used to be awesome.

This. It's a fair fee that's slightly inflated due to how much Liverpool overpaid for him, but we never would have got him from Newcastle for this much, so fair game. The wage demands, if accurate, are a real slap in the face. We've already broke our cap to pay his loan wages and now he wants more when, really, playing for us is the reason he's got a sniff at England again and it's not like there were a bunch of other clubs clamouring for his services. If he were wanted at Liverpool, it'd be a different matter, but he isn't.

And who isn't Kevin Davies, lol. Surprised we haven't been linked with him actually, the papers generally seem to love the lazy Fat Sam + former Bolton player story.

Davies had an absolute stinker of a season in 11/12. Was he any better last year?

It just feels like Carroll is holding you at arms length while watiting for Newcastle to come along. It wouldn't be in his best interests, but I'd have a lot more respect for him if he just said 'I'd like to see if any other offers come in' rather than basically 'you pay over the odds for me now, or I could slip through your fingers.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom