• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT21| Robben learns to score in finals three years late

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabojnik

Antonio-Conte-Wedding.jpg

Last season with us. BECAUSE OF MAROTTA.

Wilbur

Banned
Makes sense for Mourinho's winger style, although it does cause problems with their current squad list for sure.

Yeah this is what I mean; its a good signing, but not for whats already a quite bloated front line. Marin going still doesn't solve many problems, it'll be KDB leaving that clears it up a bit.

And one of Torres/Ba has to go, because as good as Lukaku looks I don't think Chelsea will be comfortable going into the season with him as their best striker. Gomez will be available for 25m, genuinely think he'd be class at Chelsea.

Very smart move.

Maybe a better player and a profit made.

Yeah, its a class signing. Son's made a step up there for sure, and Leverkusen have hardly missed out at all save for the fact Schurrle was a German and would help with a) quotas and b) national pride or some shit. Son looks great.

Was hoping Dortmund would get him or KDB, and Lewa needs to be on his way out as well. Another one Chelsea should make a 25m bid for, would fucking tear it up at Chelsea.

qindarka

Banned
And one of Torres/Ba has to go, because as good as Lukaku looks I don't think Chelsea will be comfortable going into the season with him as their best striker. Gomez will be available for 25m, genuinely think he'd be class at Chelsea.

Was hoping Dortmund would get him or KDB, and Lewa needs to be on his way out as well. Another one Chelsea should make a 25m bid for, would fucking tear it up at Chelsea.

Chelsea are in advanced negotiations with Cavani now, apparently. They will almost certainly get another striker even if it isn't him. Wouldn't mind if both of Torres and Ba left, if Schurrle can fill in as a striker in emergencies.

Would love Lewandowski for that price since he would be so much cheaper than Cavani, His hearts seems set on Bayern though, so not much can be done.

I hope that if we were to sell De Bruyne (which I still don't think will happen), we get a good price for him. Media reports of 15 million euro are ridiculous, he has 3 years left on his contract and Chelsea don't need cash urgently.

Would love Lewandowski for that price since he would be so much cheaper than Cavani, His hearts seems set on Bayern though, so not much can be done.

That's the wrong spirit!

Bayern doesn't want to pay money to BVB, Lewandowski is pissed he can't leave and BVB would gladly sell to a different club. Just give him some nice offer and that could work out.

Also now the annoyed Klopp avatar until we sign some player lol

Chelsea are in advanced negotiations with Cavani now, apparently. They will almost certainly get another striker even if it isn't him. Wouldn't mind if both of Torres and Ba left, if Schurrle can fill in as a striker in emergencies.

I hope that if we were to sell De Bruyne (which I still don't think will happen), we get a good price for him. Media reports of 15 million euro are ridiculous, he has 3 years left on his contract and Chelsea don't need cash urgently.
How much do you want for him?

£12m for a player who Chelsea seem to have very little faith it doesn't seem too bad.

Wilbur

Banned

Yeah Schurrle can play there, but I think Chelsea will have a job on their hands getting rid of both strikers. Using Torres as bait for Falcao is out the window, he's on preposterous wages, and Ba won't want to leave such a big club and go back to somewhere like Newcastle on less money.

If Dortmund aren't willing to sell to Lewa, he can either wait out a year - and hopefully Klopp will keep him on the bench/in the reserves for being a cunt - and waste an entire season, also not helping Gomez because Bayern won't go into the season with just Mandzukic up front, or he can go somewhere else. And he'd be amazing at Juve or Chelsea, would be worth the extra 3m that the former are paying for Higuain, and would be better value for money than Cavani would for the latter.

If we sell Suarez, I don't know who'd replace him. Sturridge hasn't proven that he can be relied on for an entire season, much less Borini. Cardozo maybe, although I'm not sure he's mobile enough for Rodgers and would probably have better offers, and may well prefer to stay at Benfica.

Walshy

If we sell Suarez, I don't know who'd replace him. Sturridge hasn't proven that he can be relied on for an entire season, much less Borini. Cardozo maybe, although I'm not sure he's mobile enough for Rodgers and would probably have better offers, and may well prefer to stay at Benfica.
Negredo is the obvious choice for me.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

Didn't you already sign his replacement? That guy from Celta Vigo.

Wilbur

Banned

Aspas, Borini and Sturridge are certainly good enough first teamers considering Coutinho/Henderson/Sterling/Suso/Downing can all play in the positions behind them, and Aspas/Sturridge can also play wide. I think you're fine at the top, its sorting out your centre backs which is the real issue.

Sturridge and Coutinho looked to have a great partnership, and playing Aspas either side and one of Sterling/Suso/Downing is pretty good on paper. Hendo/Allen/Gerrard/Lucas is a good midfield, but going into next season with Agger, an unsettled Coates, an out of form Skrtel, an injury prone Kelly and an inexperienced Wisdom could fucking backfire massively. Get Aspas sorted, focus on other targets. B-Rod is in danger of pulling a Frogson and having wank fetishes with attackers.

Aspas, Borini and Sturridge are certainly good enough first teamers considering Coutinho/Henderson/Sterling/Suso/Downing can all play in the positions behind them, and Aspas/Sturridge can also play wide. I think you're fine at the top, its sorting out your centre backs which is the real issue.

Sturridge and Coutinho looked to have a great partnership, and playing Aspas either side and one of Sterling/Suso/Downing is pretty good on paper. Hendo/Allen/Gerrard/Lucas is a good midfield, but going into next season with Agger, an unsettled Coates, an out of form Skrtel, an injury prone Kelly and an inexperienced Wisdom could fucking backfire massively. Get Aspas sorted, focus on other targets. B-Rod is in danger of pulling a Frogson and having wank fetishes with attackers.

They need a player with star quality to replace Suarez IMO.

Getting up that table requires match winners.

Wilbur

Banned
Negredo is the obvious choice for me.

Spurs should make a bid for Negredo or Soldado, both would be available for 15m or less I think. If they go for Damiao over one of them they're fucking stupid.

They need a player with star quality to replace Suarez IMO.

Getting up that table requires match winners.

Eh, Arsenal are missing a star besides Cazorla, and Coutinho is showing enough for me. Obv Rodgers isn't Wenger, but I think that they just need to have a settled side, show confidence in Sturridge because he's the type of player that thrives off it, let Henderson start more... its easy for me to say all this, and considering they're losing a fucking phenomenal player, I might be wrong. I just think that they have players in reserve - Sterling and Suso - who are clearly good enough talent wise to be playing more, and that they'd be better off strengthening the back with any potential Suarez money.

Of course Mickey might be on his way as well, that would be a top signing.

Walshy

Didn't you already sign his replacement? That guy from Celta Vigo.

I hope to God not. Not because he's rubbish (never seen him play) but because Suarez is too good and important for us to replace him sufficiently with anyone who is less than an almost-guaranteed success.
Most reports are saying that he was identified ages ago to play with Suarez. It seems if anything that he was brought in to provide cover for our strikers and replace Downing.

Wes

venison crêpe
Nice to see Villa doing some business early, but I'd be shaking in my boots over Benteke until the end of August. Hopefully a 20m or so price tag would put people off, but he'd be fucking insane at Dortmund or Spurs.

Lambert said a month before the end of the season that Benteke was worth £25m. Two weeks ago he said £40m.

I'll be anxious until he signs a new contract for sure but if he does go it's going to be for a huge profit.

Yen

“Naturally we need one or two centre-halves, and I’m looking to bring 20 more goals into the team.
“We’ve been looking for an offensive player to give us a real threat on goal [Aspas] and another attacking midfield player. We definitely need to do that, especially if we’re going to put some young ones out on loan to gain experience.

So that probably means Alberto if Barca don't sign him, or Mhik if Suarez leaves. Working that we aren't signing a DM though, a bit of steel would help. Hopefully Papa can fulfil that role (if he actually signs)

Walshy

Spurs should make a bid for Negredo or Soldado, both would be available for 15m or less I think. If they go for Damiao over one of them they're fucking stupid.
Damiao has looked shite everytime I've watched him for Brazil. Looking him up on Wiki just shows most of his goals come from the regional leagues, which full of teams which are probably not even at League 1 level. Spurs would be crazy to go near him over someone like Soldado or Negredo.

Soldado will probably be avalaible for less due to Valencia's financial problems. You could probably get him for about £10m-12m.

GorillaJu

I'd guess Suarez will just still be a Liverpool player come next year. If he has another good year like 12-13 but doesn't misbehave stupidly, then he'll be off next summer. There just seems to be no legitimate movement and Suarez is constantly trying to play it safe in interviews, saying he'd be happy to stay at Liverpool, etc.., covering his ass from the fans.

Zabojnik

I don't understand how people can put They Live and Big Trouble In Little China on the same level, as far as Carpenter movies go. The first is almost a B-movie, mostly in a bad way, the latter is one of the greatest action comedies of all times.

Yen

I'd guess Suarez will just still be a Liverpool player come next year. If he has another good year like 12-13 but doesn't misbehave stupidly, then he'll be off next summer. There just seems to be no legitimate movement and Suarez is constantly trying to play it safe in interviews, saying he'd be happy to stay at Liverpool, etc.., covering his ass from the fans.

At the same time, he isn't exactly doing anything to distance himself from Madrid.

GorillaJu

So that probably means Alberto if Barca don't sign him, or Mhik if Suarez leaves. Working that we aren't signing a DM though, a bit of steel would help. Hopefully Papa can fulfil that role (if he actually signs)

He also talked about having a deep bench. I don't think Alberto is a starter. Rodgers would want goals from midfield from someone that could start most games. Don't think we need to sell Suarez to get Mkhitaryan.

Wtf Wilbury lost the y?

Peco

I don't understand how people can put They Live and Big Trouble In Little China on the same level, as far as Carpenter movies go. The first is almost a B-movie, mostly in a bad way, the latter is one of the greatest action comedies of all times.

Ml8yUv1.gif

Walshy

He also talked about having a deep bench. I don't think Alberto is a starter. Rodgers would want goals from midfield from someone that could start most games. Don't think we need to sell Suarez to get Mkhitaryan.

Wtf Wilbury lost the y?
Alberto seems like a replacement for Shelvey.

Yen

Wtf Wilbury lost the y?

Just speculating, but it's a pretty big outlay, hence why I was suggesting Mkhitaryan was more-ore-less Suarez's replacement.

Aspas - £7m
Papa/other - £15m
Alberto/other - £5m
Mkhitaryan - £25m
Illori - £5m

Though I suppose it is offset by:

Skrtel - £10m
Carroll - £15m (I think it'll be closer to £10m)
Coates - £5m
Shelvey - £5m

bjaelke

Just speculating, but it's a pretty big outlay, hence why I was suggesting Mkhitaryan was more-ore-less Suarez's replacement.

Aspas - £7m
Papa/other - £15m
Alberto/other - £5m
Mkhitaryan - £25m
Illori - £5m

Skrtel - £10m
Coates - £5m
Shelvey - £5m

Don't forget £6m Spearing to Newcastle.

Wilbur

Banned
joeys-premier-league-best-starting-XI.jpg

As much as I love Lambert, anyone other than Fergie, Clarke or Laudrup is wrong choice for manager of the year. And Distin was good, but there was a fair few better centre backs in the league, including Jagielka.

GorillaJu

Aspas - £7m
Papa/other - £15m
Alberto/other - £5m
Mkhitaryan - £25m
Illori - £5m

Skrtel - £10m
Coates - £5m
Shelvey - £5m

Mkhi is supposed to cost 20-22m actually, but yeah I think you're about right. 47m outlay isn't that nuts actually, considering we should be getting anywhere between 15-25m in sales. Liverpool has very good revenue and marginal interest payments to make, so I think we'd be able to spend nicely in the window. A net spend of 20-30m is pretty standard for FSG's Liverpool, it seems.

GorillaJu

joeys-premier-league-best-starting-XI.jpg

As much as I love Lambert, anyone other than Fergie, Clarke or Laudrup is wrong choice for manager of the year. And Distin was good, but there was a fair few better centre backs in the league, including Jagielka.

Why Laudrup? Swansea winning the COCUP is pretty impressive, but I don't think he's manager of the year material by any stretch. For all the plaudits Swansea got, they had fewer points, more goals conceded and fewer goals scored under Laudrup than they had under Rodgers... Otherwise good team. Except Distin. Should be Nastasic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom