• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT22| His true nature avoided

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

I'd say £15m is about right on its own. You'd be lucky for Everton to let him go for that, there's no chance they'll get someone better, and £15m doesn't go far these days unless you do some spectacular business.

tumblr_mm411yPWns1ruzhcvo8_250.gif

kharma45

Didn't we just sign Varela, a new RB? I'm confident Fabio could squeeze Buttner out as back-up LB if Baines comes. And in three years time, he has every chance at cracking the first XI. His main problem is his injury record IMO.

I don't see Varela getting that much game time unless he's some sort of wonder kid. With Fabio and Buttner too there is the option to use both on the wing (with Fabio on either) if it is needed, both are decent going forward and can defend.

Bo-Locks

Horse shit, Evra, Vidic, and Rio are decrepit.

Just because you want star signings like Thiago doesn't change that fact, and Moyes is a football manager, not Chevrolet, he needs a competent squad not a star face to sell shirts.

No point even responding to Lunchbox because he thinks signing Baines is like signing Borini. Boy just watches Ronaldo videos from glory supporter HQ crying because he didn't get Mourinho.

It's not as if I'm trolling and saying Baines is shit, like Lunchbox, I just think that a central midfielder and a winger should be our priority. He's the best left back in the league, but it's a matter of prioritising and strengthening where we need it most. I perceive more weakness in central midfield than I do at left back.

I'm not even clamouring for marquee signings - United fans have been calling for a central midfielder for years and we've come very close to signing a few, so it's obviously an area that the coaching staff and Fergie recognised needed strengthening.

There is plenty of cover in the center back and left back positions. Buttner was brought in as cover for Evra and Fabio had a good loan period at QPR. If he's half as good as his brother then he deserves a shot at nailing that position. Give Fabio his chance, wait and see how he performs, Evra can start the season as backup and then react accordingly next year. Spunking £15m right now just doesn't strike me as a good move.

Signing Varela for £1m was a good move that makes sense, since he was cheap, young with lots of potential, re-sale value and will keep Rafael honest at right back.

Signing the best left back in the league at 28 years of age for £15m when that position already has a lot of depth, and when there are other positions that need more attention doesn't make much sense to me.

I do fully admit that I wasn't too keen on signing van Persie given his age, injury record and cost, so I could easily be completely wrong about the net benefits that Baines would bring, but I wouldn't want to see that signing kill off aspirations in other areas.

I'm sorry that I keep on harping on about it but Spain are so dull to watch. Forza Italia.

No cos ur wrong spain win everything even all the pundits say spain r best ur just jealous and wrong.

That's pretty much been the response whenever I've said something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom