• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT22| His true nature avoided

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

David Silva sucks. He peaked already.
Yep, been bleating on about this for as long as I can remember.

Such an overrated player. He was brilliant in the first half of City's league winning season, and that's it.
It's not as if I'm trolling and saying Baines is shit, like Lunchbox, I just think that a central midfielder and a winger should be our priority. He's the best left back in the league, but it's a matter of prioritising and strengthening where we need it most. I perceive more weakness in central midfield than I do at left back.

I'm not even clamouring for marquee signings - United fans have been calling for a central midfielder for years and we've come very close to signing a few, so it's obviously an area that the coaching staff and Fergie recognised needed strengthening.

There is plenty of cover in the center back and left back positions. Buttner was brought in as cover for Evra and Fabio had a good loan period at QPR. If he's half as good as his brother then he deserves a shot at nailing that position. Give Fabio his chance, wait and see how he performs, Evra can start the season as backup and then react accordingly next year. Spunking £15m right now just doesn't strike me as a good move.

Signing Varela for £1m was a good move that makes sense, since he was cheap, young with lots of potential, re-sale value and will keep Rafael honest at right back.

Signing the best left back in the league at 28 years of age for £15m when that position already has a lot of depth, and when there are other positions that need more attention doesn't make much sense to me.

I do fully admit that I wasn't too keen on signing van Persie given his age, injury record and cost, so I could easily be completely wrong about the net benefits that Baines would bring, but I wouldn't want to see that signing kill off aspirations in other areas.

This runs on the assumption that signing Baines would kill off signings in other areas, which I think is unfounded. The board will back Moyes to the hilt, and you're in a financially superior position to most teams in the league. You can afford to buy Baines, Thiago, Strootman, and others.

I also think most people are underestimating Baines' contribution to play, too. Having such a technically good footballer in that position allows your play to begin much deeper, and means you've got more options at all times. Baines is a huge part of why Everton have been able to control games last season.

subtles

When Spain suffocate teams out of possession like this brilliant players like Pirlo see less of the ball, and that's rarely a good thing. Nice to see those little moments though.

Salvadora

This runs on the assumption that signing Baines would kill off signings in other areas, which I think is unfounded. The board will back Moyes to the hilt, and you're in a financially superior position to most teams in the league. You can afford to buy Baines, Thiago, Strootman, and others.

It's quite bizarre.

Biggest United summer in years and their new manager is only going to allowed to sign Baines. Really.

Peco

A 34 year old Frank Lampard is better than De Rossi.

fBlUXcg.gif

dc89

This is from @citywatch

Kia Joorabchian told talkSPORT he's heard talk of Gomez/Negredo/Osvaldo/Cardozo replacing Tevez, but no concrete info on who City will sign.

Talk to me bros. good players? Which is best?

Meier

This is from @citywatch

Talk to me bros. good players? Which is best?
I predicted we'd probably look at Negredo or Soldado. Osvaldo isn't good enough IMO (and is kind of a nutter) and Gomez is way too similar to Dzeko to be useful. Cardozo is too old but is a great scorer. I'd say he is the least realistic option.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
the heat is fucking spain, they look slow and lethargic. must be like 86-90 farenheit over there. they are going to have a tough time during WC if they can't cope with the heat.

This game would be fucking PERFECT for El Shaarawy. God damn. Italy is bossing Spain though. Just need to finish.

Fully expecting Spain to win on a soft penalty.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
the heat is fucking spain, they look slow and lethargic. must be like 86-90 farenheit over there. they are going to have a tough time during WC if they can't cope with the heat.
Yeah Prandelli complained about this earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom