• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT9| #Freeelsk is now trending on twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have horrid visions of Toure strolling past Scholes on the break every. single. time.

I'd rather play Fletcher for an hour if I'm honest and then bring Scholes on; he can't keep up with a game from the start.

Clev and carrick for me. Scholes and Carrick are too similar and both stay in their own half too much. Neither likes to move with the ball. Cleverly does move with the ball atleast, he drives into the opposition half, not as much as Ando, but it's something different.
Toure is going to stroll past Scholes, Fletcher or Clev. Fletcher has been a shadow of his former self since his return, naturally. He looked hopeless in the PL and in the CL he's been playing with ALOT of protection and help in and around him.

Cleverley is a busier body than Scholes sure but I don't see him as an obvious choice ahead of the old ginger prince by any means.

What we need to do is play 3 in the midfield and ensure/hope we are precise on the counter.

I would actually put Rooney in the midfield for this game and flank RVP with Valencia and Welbeck.

Wait, so which games are still important besides the Shaktar - Juve & Chelsea - Nsnss?

/oh ok, Celtic is not through yet, so:
Celtic - Spartak
and Braga - Gal should be good too.

I'll stick to Shaktar - Juve.

Wilbur

Banned
Toure is going to stroll past Scholes, Fletcher or Clev. Fletcher has been a shadow of his former self since his return, naturally. He looked hopeless in the PL and in the CL he's been playing with ALOT of protection and help in and around him.

Cleverley is a busier body than Scholes sure but I don't see him as an obvious choice ahead of the old ginger prince by any means.

What we need to do is play 3 in the midfield and ensure/hope we are precise on the counter.

I would actually put Rooney in the midfield for this game and flank RVP with Valencia and Welbeck.

Rooney in midfield is a good shout at times, but despite him getting stuck in and being energetic, he loses a lot of attacking verve. Still, our options suck wang.

Is Valencia back?

pulga

Banned
I've had one cigarette, one coffee, a fair amount of weed and fucking tons of alcohol.

I've smoked many packs, about 3-4 cups of coffee a week, a good amout of weed, tons of alcohol, one line of coke (fucking NYC strippers taking advantage of my drunken state), and popped MDMA a couple of times.

Will I live to see Madrid win the 10th?
Or Juve not bottle yet another CL final?

Scared as fuck about today, Shaktar is a very strong, tactical team. Maybe we'll go to the EL, which is more than Torino or City can say!

Empty

Yeah but imagine if Chelsea beat us. Who would you rather win the CL, them or Juve?

the chances of chelsea being the first team to retain the trophy in the current format are so slim i don't think it matters

what matters is us having a good run and having both juve and real madrid as potential opponents in the next round is scary.

Clegg

With RVP in the team we can now afford to play Rooney in midfield and still have a potent attacking threat.

It's still not as good as having an actual cm in midfield though.

Wilbur

Banned
the chances of chelsea being the first team to retain the trophy in the current format are so slim i don't think it matters

I said something about this last year. This year looks familiar as fuck to last year as far as Chelsea are concerned.

They're going to win it again.

West Ham have finally (again) been named preferred bidder for the Olympic Stadium - this whole saga has turned into one big joke, and is looking more and more unfavourable for us by the minute. We sell our traditional home, The Boleyn, to be demolished and turned into flats, in exchange for a souless new stadium not suited for football that we have to pay £2.5m a year to lease. We have to incur at least £15m worth of redevelopment costs as the designers never took non-athletics use into consideration, and the OPLC want a percentage of any future sale of the club on the off chance that we do manage to fill the stadium week in, week out and the value of the club increases as a result. When, really, the value of the club will increase simply due to the fact that we're being run smartly for the first time in over 15 years and Gold & Sullivan have covered our £70m debts. If Tottenham hadn't stuck their nose in, we could've had the stadium outright. But, apparently, us taking a £40m loan from Newham council is wrong, while Tottenham getting handed £8.5m by Boris to redevelop shite hart lane is perfectly acceptable. Still, if in the end Gold & Sullivan come through with their promise of affordable tickets in the Olympic Stadium, and if we can pack that place out and get back some of the atmosphere that the Boleyn has lost with rising ticket prices in recent years, I'll be happy enough.

Blablurn

this just happened

A9X_ua3CAAA-gt-.jpg:large

Bayern <3

meaning is "get well soon, holger". he is out for 5 months after getting injured in the dortmund game.

LegoArmo

I don't get the "tough group" excuse for teams like Chelsea and City. Are they tough because Real, Dortmund, Juve and Shakhtar are better teams than them? Yeah. Should they be better than these teams that have spent hundreds of millions of pounds? The champions of England and the champions of Europe? No.

0 wins is a disgrace.

wooden, which team do u support more? kooobeeenhaaaavn or chelsea?

København obviously. Was not feeling good after losing 2-0 to Chelsea at home in cl knock out stages. Only good moment of those matches :

ibAPdYdYsdU4D.gif

Fuck Denmark for having 3 months of not playing in the winter... It's nearly impossible to get in proper form for Europa League or CL knock out stages.

I don't get the "tough group" excuse for teams like Chelsea and City. Are they tough because Real, Dortmund, Juve and Shakhtar are better teams than them? Yeah. Should they be better than these teams that have spent hundreds of millions of pounds? The champions of England and the champions of Europe? No.

0 wins is a disgrace.
What's so hard to understand? both sides have played a bunch of good teams from strong leagues, hence, tough group.

bud

the juve and shakhtar players are bromancing the hell out of each other.

this is a done deal.

benitez' career is over.

Zabojnik

So, who's contemplating the idea of a biscotto between Shakhtar and Juve ?

Shakhtar aren't. :( You guys give us way too much credit, it would take a real miracle for us to win the CL, lol. A lot of stronger / more experienced teams out there. Still, however it may end tonight, thanks for the kind words over the last few months. I've had a blast watching out CL games, hearing the CL song and bathing in the awesome atmosphere, even if we could and should've done better, at least against Nordsomething[/b] in Denmark.

LegoArmo

What's so hard to understand? both sides have played a bunch of good teams from strong leagues, hence, tough group.

It's not an excuse though, Chelsea have done alright, bit lucky with some late goals, City are a disgrace.

Celtic are in a "tough group", with 3 teams who are better than them, and a starting 11 that probably cost around £10m to put together, and they could finish on 10 points.

City couldn't beat Ajax home or away.

Wilbur

Banned

Just don't think the argument flies, especially in City's case; facing a team that also has their second season in the CL that spends a fraction of what City do. Ajax, for all the history the club has, aren't exactly an experienced squad either.

faridmon

København obviously. Was not feeling good after losing 2-0 to Chelsea at home in cl knock out stages. Only good moment of those matches :

http://i.minus.com/ibAPdYdYsdU4D.gif[IMG]

Fuck Denmark for having 3 months of not playing in the winter... It's nearly impossible to get in proper form for Europa League or CL knock out stages.[/QUOTE]

Just like Norway.

[quote="WJD, post: 45098415"]Emptyish Trafford[/QUOTE]

Emptrafford.

pulga

Banned
Shakhtar aren't. :( You guys give us way too much credit, it would take a real miracle for us to win the CL, lol. A lot of stronger / more experienced teams out there. Still, however it may end tonight, thanks for the kind words over the last few months. I've had a blast watching out CL games, hearing the CL song and bathing in the awesome atmosphere, even if we could and should've done better, at least against Nordsomething[/b] in Denmark.

If we make it through, and if my some miracle Marotta brings us a proper striker, I could see us reaching semis!

PPPPOOOOGGBAAAAAA!!

&#1060;&#1050; &#1064;&#1072;&#1093;&#1090;&#1072;&#1088; &#1044;&#1086;&#1085;&#1077;&#1094;&#1100;&#1082;

Cyrillic is pretty badass :O

Bo-Locks

I wonder if Rafael or Jones/Smalling will start at the weekend, and I expect De Gea to keep his place at the weekend, provided there are no major fuck-ups tonight. I don't really expect a win against City, a point would be a great result.

I'm sticking a tenner on Powell to score.

It's not an excuse though, Chelsea have done alright, bit lucky with some late goals, City are a disgrace.

Celtic are in a "tough group", with 3 teams who are better than them, and a starting 11 that probably cost around £10m to put together, and they could finish on 10 points.

City couldn't beat Ajax home or away.
So? It happens. Celtic may have done great this season but that's not a formality. City for example done great last season and would of comfortably qualified in any other group with their points, and again, probably had the hardest group.

There will be seasons were the best teams under perform and the worst teams over perform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom